Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Genetic Skin Disease Abnormality

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Genetic Skin Disease Abnormality

Hi everyone, my question is a bit more dermatological, but I think I have a better shot at finding an answer here.
After seeing maybe 100 different doctors and dermatologists about strange skin rashes over the past six years I recently was diagnosed with Darier's disease, a rare genetic skin condition.  It's basically harmless, it only causes rashes on my scalp, chest, hands, fingernails, feet, and back.  What makes my case even more unusual is that it only appears on the left side of my body.  The rash only appears on my left hand and foot, it stops at a near perfect vertical line before it crosses my back, chest, or forehead.  No doctor I have ever seen has been able to give me an explanation for this.  Any ideas?  Have any of you ever seen anything like this?
Tags: Skin, Genetics, skin disease, s, skin,genetics,skin disease,Darier, Dariers, Darier Disease, darier disease genetics
There is a a form of Darier disease known as the linear (or segmental) form. This form is  characterized by blemishes on localized areas of the skin as opposed to being widespread. Some people with the linear form have the nail abnormalities that are seen in people with the classic form of Darier disease, but these abnormalities are limited to only one side of the body.

You may benefit from meeting with a genetic professional to discuss the natural history of Darier disease as well as it's inheritance pattern. You can find a medical geneticist at the American College of Medical Genetics website. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA. We wish you the best!