Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
possibility of twins

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

possibility of twins
I was wondering my possibility in having twins, on my husband's mother's side he has a grandmother who is a fraternal twin. On my side of the family, my father has a bother and sister who are fraternal twins and I know I have a pair of twins on my mother's side of the family, I don't know how many though, so I'd like to know what's my possibility of have twins. Thank you

-emmy
Fraternal twins are more common in certain ethnic populations, such as African-Americans. Certain factors may increase the risk of having twins, such as fertility treatments and a maternal history of twins. A paternal history is not likely to contribute. Hope this information is helpful.