HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV scare

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HIV scare
Hello Dr,

around the 3rd of October, i had an encounter with a sexual worker,
I had protected vaginal sex. I know this is supposed to be 100% safe and no risk to contracting HIV.

But lately, I've been feeling quite unwell, and now I'm wondering 'what if'...
My problems the last week are, joint/muscle aches (really painful at times to be honest) and headaches that come and go..
I don't have any fever, but I do feel hot and have chills..

I went to see my doctor at the end of October, and had a basic blood checkup, where they also tested for HIV1/2, which was negative
so this was at +- 3 weeks after exposure, but I don't know what type of test they used, I assume this is a normal antibody test? Is this conclusive or still too soon?

Can my muscle/joint pains, headaches an chills at 7-8 weeks be a sign of new HIV infection?
or can this be related to not having enough sleep and bad food regime?

thank you
Hello

I think you are fine and that you have  not contracted HIV from this exposure.

You used a condom - provided condoms stay on, don't tear or rip and that you do use one then all will be well and you will be protected frm acquiring HIV.

I suspect your symptoms are related to something else and you have incorrectly put two and two together and got 12.

I think your HIV test was too early - irrespective of whatever generation it was.

I think you are fine.

best wishes, sean