Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Hair Loss - HELP!! PLEASE!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hair Loss - HELP!! PLEASE!!

I am a 38 year old married female with 4 children in good general health with severe hair loss. =(  The hair loss started in May of 2010, subsiding for awhile at the end of 2011 and picking back up drastically early in 2012.  My last daily hair count was 743 hairs lost.  These are hairs that are of varying lengths ranging from about 9-12 inches to 1/4" inch...so MANY are new growth hairs.  The hair comes from all over my head so there isn't any one spot or patch of loss.  I've seen my primary doctor, my gyn, my endocrinologist and two dermatologists.  They have all attempted the same blood work ups with no irregular findings.  No one has tested my ferritin levels (they say that my iron level is fine - but I thought the two were slightly different).  The only other symptoms I have had since the hair loss started is problems with my finger nail growth.  They break & peel constantly and I have to keep them completely trimmed back (this is not how they used be).  I have taken any and all vitamins related to hair loss to see if it would help, all without success.  I've tried stress tabs, no luck.  I've used special shampoos, nothing.  Everyone keeps saying it's genetic.  I just don't buy it...I'm 38 and with the rate of this hair loss I will be bald soon.  =(  There has to be something else going on!

HEALTH HISTORY/MEDICATION:

Diagnosed in 2005 with depression.  I take 75mg of Wellbutrin daily & 10 mg of Citalopram daily.

Diagnosed in 2004 with Prolactinoma (high prolactin levels).  I take .5 mg of Cabergoline per week.

**NEW**  I started taking 100 mg of Aldactone this month prescribed by my dermatologist (suppose to help with the hair loss).  I've noticed no decrease of the shedding so far.

**NEW**  I use two 1 ml. doses of Minoxidal per day as well for the hair loss (I've been using it almost a month now - however this is my second round of it.  I tried it for a few months earlier in the year and didn't notice any difference).

If anyone has experienced anything similar...please help!!!  I think that the doctor's could be testing me for more but I don't know what and they seem to want to brush me off by saying it's genetic.  I just don't think that's it.

Thank you!!
I have been diagnosed with alopecia areata. ...
Yes, weight loss does play a large part in the health of the hair! Genetics don't necessarily mean gradual thinning - hair fall occurs in different patterns for different people.
I was going to go for clip ins until I was strictly advised against them, as the clips actually pull on the already weak hair and cause further loss!!!!
Please do keep in touch
Your hair loss sounds like it has come on as an after-effect of stress. I suffered hair loss from stress too, and also tried Rogaine (Minoxidil) - I became reliant on the drug but then found that for me, it caused more harm than good.
Have you been to a trichologist as opposed to the GP?
I've had trouble finding a Trichologist. I will definitely check more in to that.  Did your hair loss ever resolve itself?  If so, how long did it take?  Were you loosing new growth hairs too?  

Thank you for your help.  =)

Hiya,
Yes, it was frustrating finding the right trichologist at first, so I would definitely advise looking around before plunging into the place for you.
My hair loss never fully came back, as I suffer from anxiety - so my hair is always coming out as I am always worried about something! (at least I can laugh at it now :-))
Please do keep me updated
If you don't mind my asking...what did you find out at the Trichologist?  Did they diagnose you?  The medical professionals that I've seen have said so many different things...it could be caused by stress, weight loss (I lost about 50lbs in 3 months right before my hair started falling out - as the result of dieting after my last child was born), genetics.  Since this has been going on so long I just don't buy that it's from the stress or weight loss...I would think it would have resolved itself by now.  And if it is genetics (which I don't believe either) then wouldn't my hair just be gradually thinning??  Seriously, I bought some clip in extensions a few weeks ago and now my hair is so thin on the top and sides that I can barely hide the clips.  I'm SO frustrated and every time I have to take a shower and fix my hair...I just cry.  That alone is causing more stress than I know what to do with.  Most days, I put the hair I do have left in a clip and leave it alone.  I hate even touching it because I know that it's all going to fall out.  

Thank you for listening...

Please do keep in touch
When i was 25yrs old I had very very long hair. one day it start falling out very rapidly. It thinned within a matter of 3wks. I had to cut it medium length. that seemed to help but a fews years it did the same. so it got shorter & shorter & now it just keeps thinning. Im scared that i will be balled. im only 35yrs old. My mother side had thin hair but not like this. it doesnt seem to even be growing back. I have a blodd work done for thyroid(2x), said i was within normal but on the very low end. I have an appt with an endodrinologist & a hair club. I dont know what to do either. this is very depressing &  I know they say that could only make matters worse. I just wanted to share & open lines of communication with others who suffer from this. Please share any info or news. I will try to do the same. thanks for listening.
I completely relate to how you feel.  =(  It's embarrassing and depressing and almost makes it impossible to feel beautiful like we should.  My hair is still falling out.  My dermatologist just increased my does of Aldactone and had me switch from Women's Rogaine to Men's.  Apparently the men's works better?  I don't know.  I don't see any results, I mean, I'm not expecting my hair to completely stop shedding or to see new growth over night but I would think that it would slow the shedding and that the new growth I do have would actually STAY on my head.  You are right though, some things make it worse.  Even just worrying and stressing about it makes it worse but how do we NOT worry or stress about it?  That's impossible.  For the last two years my whole thought process has been focused on finding out why my hair is falling out and how to stop it.  And yet, I'm still where I was 2 years ago only with even less hair.  =(  I refuse to believe that it is genetic and just really feel like there is something someone, or that I am missing.  I tell myself, even if I could just stop the hair loss and never have any hair grow back I would be happy, just knowing that I could KEEP what I still have (which is not much)...it's scary thinking I may be bald by this time next year.  Good luck to you and please keep us updated!!!  I'll do the same.  Thanks for listening as well... =)
Yeah, it really does do a lot of damage to self esteem :( also, I found that finding an appropriate solution that is suitable for my lifestyle was difficult, making me feel worse. Luckily I'm doing much better now though, but I do relate