Hearing Loss Community
Intermittent hearing loss and hyperacusis....Cochlear Hydrops?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Intermittent hearing loss and hyperacusis....Cochlear Hydrops?

Hello,  I am a 36 year old musician (drummer in a local colorado metal band).  I have been playing drums in metal bands for over 20 years and never had a problem or experienced premanent hearing loss.  At least nothing more than the common Temporary Threshold Shift.  Just over a year ago, my band played a show at a local venue that was over the top volume wise. I had never worn earplugs up till this time.   From that point on, my ears have been "raging" as I describe it.  From the morning after that show I knew something was seriously wrong.  I was left with severe hyperacusus, hearing loss in the 4k-6k range, and a feeling of fullness in my right ear and severe hearing loss and tinnitus in my left.  These symptoms seem to fluctuate and every now and then I can pop my ears and restore a lot of the hearing but the hyperacusis seems worse.  I have had 2 ENT's tell me that I had Cochlear hydrops but I believe my symptoms don't quite match that diagnosis.  Here is a brief medical history:

As a child I had bad ear infections and tubes several times.  At 13, I had a mastoidectomy and tympanoplasi in my left ear and was also found to have benign tumors in that ear as well.  This surgery left me with the typical hearing loss in that ear which never bothered me untill now. In the last year, I have had several hearing tests which revealed a major hearing loss in my left ear and a mild loss in my right within the 4k-6k range.  I have also had a sinus CT scan that was normal and an MRI (for tumors and MS) - normal also.  The 1st ENT did an ECOG on my right ear and diagnosed Cochlear Hydrops, but my hearing loss is not low frequencies.  He said an ECOG wasn't possible in my left because of the mastoid surgery.  For a 2nd diagnosis, my current ENT did another ECOG (this time on both ears) and the result was only a 4.7 - left ear and 4.9 right ear.  I was told that 5.0 is the threshold cutoff for hydrops and if I had it, it was very mild. I have been on Diazide and Diamox with no improvement. My symptoms fluctuate very eratically.  Most times I can do the Valvasa Meneuver and get my ears to "open up".....it sounds as if I'm pulling my head out of water.
Could my problems be solely relaten to Eustation tubes?  Every now and then get a patulous eustation tubes in both ears, but it quickly goes away.  Is there something I'm overlooking?