Hearing Loss Community
Sudden Hearing Loss and prednisone
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sudden Hearing Loss and prednisone

My husband was hospitalized with an inner ear infection which was causing dizziness, vomitting, and severe ear pain.  He was discharged with antibiotics, ear drops, and a 5 day dose of prednisone.  He was unable to hear ANYTHING from this ear.  He had a follow up with the ENT and they inserted a tube as they thought that would remove the pressure and allow the eardrum to move. He still cannot not hear anything and went back the the ENT and audiologist today.  He has no hearing in his ear and his balance is somewhat off.  The ENT prescribed prednisone for 15 days starting with a higher dose working towards a lesser dose.  Will this treatment regain a portion of his hearing back?  Is there anything else we can be doing to help regain his hearing??
Related Discussions
152264_tn?1280358257
I don't know of anything else you can do. High-dose prednisone tapering off is the "standard" treatment for sudden hearing loss, but there's no guarantee the hearing will come back. One study of sudden hearing loss found that one-third of people regain hearing spontaneously, one-third get some hearing back, one-third don't recover at all. (I was in the last category.)

There are theories about antivirals, carbogen therapy, vitamins, etc. but it's all hit or miss--they usually don't even know what causes a sudden hearing loss.

If the infection was a presumed viral inner-ear infection, antibiotics won't help. If they think he had a middle-ear infection that moved into his inner ear (which I'm not even sure can happen--not an expert here, though), that would probably be different treatment.

I hope he recovers his hearing. Hearing loss in one ear is not fun but you can live with it if you have to. I did for 9 years. I just got a Baha (bone-anchored hearing aid) and that is a great help, I love it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hearing Loss Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...