Hearing Loss Community
hearing loss and ear phone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hearing loss, alerting devices, assistive listening devices, audiologically deaf, captioning, cochlear implants, culturally deaf, hearing aids, hearing dogs, home safety, Meniere’s disease, oral communication, safety, sign language, speech recognition, TDD, telephones, tinnitus, travel, and visual communication.

hearing loss and ear phone

i have a question that is really bothering me, and i dont know what to do.. i love to excersise and mainly i love to run, i run about 6k , 5 times a week, however part me loving this is the fact that i get to listen to my favorite music. however as i do know that ear phones could potentially damage my hair cells and cause hearing loss, i already have some problems with my hearing, and i think one of my ear bones is heavy.. ( something like  that) so already my hears can not tolerate anything that could cause any loss, but i was wondering if i still keep the volume low, and only for about 30 minutes will it still affect my hearing? should i just forgo the whole thing altogether? what should i do,.. are there any kind of alternatives?
I am an advocate of the isolation ear bud phone: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

The more isolation, the less the volume required to hear the music. Etymotic happens to make ear buds with the most sound isolation. If you really want to study up on these things go to:

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph/

Once you get into these type of products, you will never go back to the cheap days of convential headphones.

That said, if you do use isolation head phones, you will not hear a darn thing other than music, that includes a car, a car horn, and maybe even a siren.  So if you are running a tread mill, not a problem. If you are outside, that is potentially a big problem.

Comments about your heavy bone.....   sorry, but I am clueless as to what that is about. 30 minutes a day, I doubt will harm your hearing, not via i-pod.