Hepatitis C Community
Antioxidants, blood analyses, and fibrosis update

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello medhelpers, fellow sufferers of hep C, forum lurkers, people who got here by a wrong mouse click, and all victims of the medical profession. Greetings from Buenos Aires!

It's been quite a while since I posted [not long enough for some, I'm sure], but I have an update that may be of interest, which I propose to share with those who want it, in my inimitable if much-maligned style. And for those who don't want it, I say phooey.

Before I get into it, though, I just want to say a special Hi! to my friends trish, aheart, nygirl, james, bali, susi, figuy, hector, willing, mary, gsd, goofydad, lauri, walrus, desrt, marcy, and all my other dear friends who I see from looking over recent posts are still active in the forum. I love you all very much. And I don't use that word lightly.

Now to the gist. First, I still haven't done tx three years after being diagnosed HCV+. Why? because I'm 67, genotype 1, and have a high viral count, and I don't like my chances [around 35%] with standard antiviral therapy. I haven't been able to get into a trial of the newer meds like Teleprevir and Boceprevir because of my high gammaglobulin and because there are very few trials here in Argentina. Also frankly because Interferon + Ribavirin really put me off. I can't tango while scratching riba-rash.

So what I did was study up on what causes liver fibrosis. I found that it was mostly the oxidation of hepatic cells going on in the liver, so I prescribed for myself - with the go-ahead of a hep MD - a regime of antioxidants. These are PPC [polyenylphosphatidylcholine, as Phoschol], ALA [alpha lipoic acid], milk thistle [as Siliphos], and vitamin E [as mixed tocopherols]. I chose these four antioxidants because they have been tested and shown to reduce hepatic oxidation and/or liver damage and not to have serious negative side effects.

I started taking them almost two years ago, at a point when my hepatic enzymes had both reached 100 and my platelets had dropped to around 115k. A few months after beginning the antioxidant regime coupled with a strict non-fat diet of healthy foods like grains, fruit, and raw vegetables, my hepatic enzymes have gone down to the high end of the normal range [41 and 44 in an April 2011 blood test], and my platelets, which had been dropping steadily for years, are holding at 135k.

I'm content. If, with the aid of this regime, I can hold the fort and wait for the approval of a more effective and less dangerous therapy, I think I've done the right thing. For me.

If this is useful to others, well and good. I have no idea if what I'm doing will work for other people. I offer it as a personal experience. The antioxidants appear to be working for me. My hep MDs [I have two] can hardly believe the results of my recent blood analyses and are totally on my side.

All this said, I plan to have a new biopsy this year because blood test results are not conclusive of the extent of fibrosis. They are supposed to be a sign of current liver cell destruction and liver function, nothing more. Biopsy is no sure thing, either, as many have pointed out here and as more and more articles attest, since fibrosis is not always uniform in the liver as was once believed. But biopsy is the best test we've got. So I'll do another, while sticking to my antioxidants.

I hope you will excuse my long-windedness and my little jokes, and that this info is of some use.

Cheers to all!

Mike

Although I tend to fully agree with you, my Gastro said Fibrosis is irreversible, even with treatment, and wants me to treat ASAP. I also take alpha lipoic acid, milk thistle, vitamin D and Grapefruit Juice on a daily basis. I'm also very tempted to wait for a less dangerous treatment. Remember that I've undergone 4 failed treatments already. This has caused a permanent change in my looks and body.

Although I've rebounded pretty well through eating well, not drinking and exercise, the damage has been done. I'm going to run this by the doctor again next month (as to waiting for a less dangerous treatment) and will post his response. The best of luck to you...

Magnum
thank you,
I feel the same way about interfuron and riba, etc.

will add your items to my milk thistle.

pitter
glad to see a post from you, always interesting to read up on what you are doing!
Hi, Magnum. Re the irreversibility of liver fibrosis, even if it's true [I'm not 100% convinced of that], according to what I've read we can live fine with only part of a liver as long as liver functions are intact. The liver is a redundant organ: it has more liver cell tissue than we really need, so that we can lose some, as is maybe normal, and get by. If that's the case, then if we halt liver function loss or slow it down below ageing (aging) rate, we should be okay. See what I mean? We're in trouble when we lose liver functions, not because we lose some liver cells. From all I've read, and it's a lot, those are the facts.

Of course, if you're F3 or beyond and have already lost essential liver function, all the above is beside the point.

Your experience of four failed treatments and resultant permanent physiological change is enough to keep me off standard tx forever. My looks and my body are all I've got.

I supose you've read about the trials of Bristol-Myers' Interferon-free combo? My brother emailed this April 2011 press release:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2011-04-02/bristol-myers-interferon-free-combo-cured-hepatitis-c-patients.html.

While I'll be interested to see what your hep MD says, I'm afraid I don't have a lot of faith in the medical profession. I don't speak to a hepatologist unless he or she swears to me that they've never received money from a pharmaceutical company, even indirectly (research funding, publication, etc.). In the age of neoliberalism, the so-called professions have turned into little more than commercial businesses. And what about drug trials where the company conducting the trial pays MDs involved in them for each patient enrolled, in some cases (like in poor countries) more than the MD earns in a normal year?

I'd better not get started on that...

Good luck to you, too.

Mike
Be careful about dosage. Nothing is safe taken in the wrong dose.

M.
Hi! Thanks for the encouragement to post. I tend not to do it much any more so as not to clutter up the forum with a lot of irrelevant talk when so many people are sicker than me and need urgent help. In this case, my continuously improving bloods finally forced me to share the info.

I feel poorly about not contributing more to the forum and helping newbies and others who have questions I might help to answer. But I've gotten static for my opinions, admittedly highly non-conformist, and I have enough trouble getting along in a semi-hostile foreign country without that.

How are you doing? What's your current status [virological, not matrimonial {grin}]?

Cheers!

Mike

Correction to my original post: My hepatic enzymes didn't go down to within normal range a few months after starting to take the antioxidants, as is implied there. It's taken two years to get them down that far.

On the other hand, they did start down soon after beginning the program and have steadily diminished ever since.

Maybe I should add that I've always been highly reactive to external and internal biological changes. I'm thin, have a fast metabolism, and have kept myself in overall good condition through the years. So I'm a good subject for drug trials like the antioxidant regime.

M.
"I'm content. If, with the aid of this regime, I can hold the fort and wait for the approval of a more effective and less dangerous therapy, I think I've done the right thing. For me. "

"All this said, I plan to have a new biopsy this year because blood test results are not conclusive of the extent of fibrosis. They are supposed to be a sign of current liver cell destruction and liver function, nothing more. Biopsy is no sure thing, either, as many have pointed out here and as more and more articles attest, since fibrosis is not always uniform in the liver as was once believed. But biopsy is the best test we've got. So I'll do another, while sticking to my antioxidants. "

Hi there, Mike.  Nice to read the above statement that you are content.  That's been a little hard to come by for you as you sifted through everything and there is a lot to sift through.  This is a pretty individual journey.  While your choice might be very different from what some might go for, it's a rather lucid explanation of your choice and why it's good for you.  I wish you well with this.  Hope you'll drop in with results of that biopsy as well.

Hope you're keeping well in other regards and that life is good.

Regards,

Trish

Hey Mike,
Great to hear from you. Was actually thinking of you these past months
and I am happy to hear you are doing well.
You remind me of my pre tx trials&tribulations and who knows if I ever have to go back to
that.This is how crazy of a world we live in , before I  started my tx (50wks ago) I was
kicking and screaming not wanting to do it  and today I extended my tx simply because
of own choosing to be more comfortable.I totally respect your point of view.With my
current level of experience I would try 4 - 12wks of SOC if I were you to see how well
you respond. It could be far better than the 35% you think of and you will never know
unless you try. A couple of months of tx to check your response pattern are really
not that bad. Early viral kinetics are still the strongest predictor !
Just my two cents.....
Again great to hear from you and let`s stay in touch.

b
wk50 of 60
Always good to hear from you. If you haven't done any research on CoEnzymeQ10, it's worth a read. Though generally advertised as an 'anti-oxidant', it has special importance to cell mitochondria, an area where HCV does a lot its worst damage. It's something we absorb enough of from a healthy diet until we hit our fortys, at which point our body's ability to assimilate it decreases.
Take care.
Ive always been a believer that everyones experience is relevant and lots of times some irrelevant chatter is good to take our focus off this virus.  There are so many of us that are non responders etc, we need to hear ideas that can be investigated to help us  "hold the fort down" until the better treatments are unleashed.  I feel that time is right around the corner.  Unfortunately for me I think now is the time to start moving.  I have some recent posts you can look at to see what is going on and I also started a journal since I expect to start treatment about may 15th if i clear the screening requirements for a telaprevir dosing study that is going on.  BTW some study sites for this trial are in Brazil.  Not exactly where you are at but at least on the same continent.  I was hoping to hold out for the non interferon drug cocktail but the fibrosis seems to be pretty active right now for me.  I will have my biopsy Friday the 29th  and it will be interesting to see how it compares to all the blood marker tests I have done to keep an eye on my liver.      
Phooey on the critics...  Keep posting...    

hi mike, glad to hear antioxidants work for you too, having an active virus in the liver the result is even more interesting.i am doing the same on hbv but easier because antiviral clears virus

i am also using antioxidants especially blackrice and blueberries/berries in my diet and lately resolved all fat tissue from bmi 26 to 21 now.it just took about 3 months.fatty liver US on end of may to see if it cleared fat in the liver too

i post to suggest also glutathione in liposomes from livonlabs.
glutathione without liposomes is useless because it can t be absorbed but with liposomos it will get inside cells
i used it mainly to lower intracellular cholesterol (artherosclerosis article reversal of laques by 3 months in mise) not only because it is know as the most potent antioxidant.all chol fell down a lot

hep tech trials will be finished in june we might see from them how antioxidants work on severe fibrosis too
Hi Mike I dont have much to add except to say it's awfully great to see you posting.

I'm going to add some more supplements into my diet (I'm getting old and my liver isnt getting any younger either) so I appreciate the input.

I hope they come out with an inf/riba free drug soon for you and for everyone. Then you can keep on dancin'.......dancin'.......dancin.........

Love Deb
Hi; I don't know whether you remember me but I think you made a wise decision; 67 high count gen1 to me is a no brainer for not to start TX; interf/riba is a poison; you have really nothing to gain from it except feeling like dogsh$$; for me, TX didn't stop with the last pill, it's over two years past and I slowly get back to somewhat of a normal life including all the physio/psycho and everything else; my accountant, he died with 93 a few months ago, had gen1 since 1942 as he got a transfusion in WW2; at this point, trying alternative ways seems the way to go; don't expose yourself to a few years of torture if you don't have to...
It's good to read that your supps and healthy lifestyle seem to be keeping your liver inflammation in check. I'm post tx and SVR now, but still keep to a healthy lifestyle to keep my liver from deteriorating anymore AND in hopes of reversing some of the damage done. Even if it's only a stage, it's one more step away from where I am currently. I strongly believe it is possible, even with cirrhosis to turn things around, barring any other issues that may come into play as I grow older.

I don't know what the results were of your initial biopsy, but if enough time has passed, then another would be a wise decision. Keep an eye on those platelets and some of the other blood markers like albumin, INR, bili and such as they can often give a head's up with further liver damage.

Hopefully one day in the near future, IN will be out of the mix and new drugs will prove to be more efficacious and less toxic for all.

Best of luck to you, Pam
also this discussion might be useful about a recent study that linked chol to fibrosis and of course excess of chol or oxidated chol is linked with oxidative stress

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/formation-of-fibrosis-cirrhosis-due-to-cholesterol-fat/show/1496407

what we have on hbv cannot be applied to hbv because our antiviral entecavir reverses cirrhosis on biopsy by 3-6 years even with no antioxidants

i meant: what we have on hbv tx cannot be applied to hcv
hi yall!! this is my first post, im hep c 1a, im on week 25 of 48 and whew these sides are no joke,mainly the first 2 months..gotten better as ive gone along, but always sumthin!!!  i think of it as a marathon not a sprint..and marathons are plenty hard..i wish my dr wouldve waited till i could take less interferon, from what ive heard even new meds will be along with interferon, but only 6 months instead of 48 wks.. ive been clear since 12 weeks.. thank u Jesus!!, but still have a long way to go..lot of skin issues right now and my hair is falling out somewhat..hello wig!!! maybe i can get a real cool purple one or somethin..haha..tryin to take as little pills as possible, everything has to go thru liver..one multi vitamin and advil after shot also have acid pills on hand, that started fairly quickly..i pray for all of yall to get clear of this mess and move on..it sure has me doin some internal changing..not takin anything for granted anymore!!! wake up call really for me.. hope yall have a happy Easter!!!  cheryl
You said:  "...my Gastro said Fibrosis is irreversible, even with treatment,..."

I'd get a new doctor fast.
Where has this guy been - under a rock?
There are so many reputable sources that dispute that I can't believe a gastroenterologist actually said that.

Mike
good results - always good to remember our own hepatic stellate cells are the troublemakers responsible for fibrosis generation. If  you can keep their activity in check you can afford to continue living  with the virus, though in the end eliminating it is the only cure.  Of course knowing whether the supplement regime is really protective is the issue. Improved overall QOL and normalized enzymes seem very promising but annual fibroscans are probably a good backup check. Thanks for the update!
  "...my Gastro said Fibrosis is irreversible, even with treatment,..."

Did that come from the Gish group from CPMC? That was not their position when I last spoke to them.

Mike - Good to hear from you. When I worked for huge bank, we did a giant market research project and uncovered that customers wanted "easy banking". So they did a bazzilion dollar ad campaign swearing that they had the easiest banking - no new toools, no new services, just show them an eagle and tell 'em what they want to hear. In that sppirit, I'm adding Tango Dancer to my medhelp profile. Thanks for the tip :)

Please be sure to watch your liver carefully, as the consensus seems to be that fibrosis pregression is non-linear. It can sneak up on you. I know this too well. Your supplement cocktail seems to being doing it's job. Maybe I oughtta order up some more Phoschol. That's some pricey swill that tastes ghastly.
He stated that Fibrosis is "dead tissue" and how can you bring dead tissue back to life?

Magnum
Sounds like Cirrhosis is what he's talking about.

how can he be so ingorant, tell him to go back to study.fibrosis is made of alive cells, just different type than liver and is the same and common on many organs not only liver.

on hbv we have an antiviral from 2005 that reverses advanced cirrhosis on biopsy by 3-6years, it just needs to be compensated.i know this quite well because it is happening to me as well

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_yFgxI8KNcRODYzYzY4NzItMTkxNS00YTdkLThlMmItZmEzZWMzMzI1MjFm&hl=en

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_yFgxI8KNcRYTA2OTRkMmUtYzlmOS00MjgyLThmNjgtYWUyOWI1ZTJjYmFm&hl=en

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2009icr/ddw/posters/DDW_Poster1808_Advanced%20fibrosis_cirrhosis.pdf

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7396/is_330/ai_n56632293/?tag=mantle_skin;content
"Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Apr;52(7):889-900.

Sustained virologic response to antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a cure and so much more.
Pearlman BL, Traub N.

Sustained virologic response (SVR) is defined as aviremia 24 weeks after completion of antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. In analyses of SVR durability, the incidence of late relapse is extremely low (<1%). Histologic regression of both necroinflammation and fibrosis has been demonstrated in paired liver biopsy samples in SVR-achieving patients. More noteworthy is the sustained responder's favorable prognosis even with baseline cirrhosis; despite mostly retrospective analyses, relative to nonresponders or to those untreated, patients with SVR have significantly fewer liver-related complications, less hepatocellular carcinoma, and fewer liver-related deaths. Although HCV is associated with insulin resistance, successful eradication of HCV appears to reduce the risk of impaired fasting glucose and diabetes development. In summary, chronic HCV infection is curable with SVR attainment, and with cure comes improved liver histology and more favorable clinical outcomes, in comparison with patients who do not achieve the same therapeutic milestone."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21427396
From my hepatologist in 2009:

"No real progress in antifibrotics of late, but hopefully in next 3-5 years?  Your body's  natural enzymes should be good enough (metalloproteinases)"
This easy-to-read paper is from 2006: http://www.hepatitistechnologies.com/images/reversal_of_hepatic_fibrosis.pdf

Viva Astor Piazzolla!
Keep on dancing.

Hectorsf
Yes we can live without all of our liver cells functioning properly (fibrosis). This is how a patient with stage 3 fibrosis lives while being asymptomatic. Or the Live Liver Donor who has their entire right liver lobe removed and transplanted into the recipient.

BTW, There are numerous study data showing reversed levels of fibrosis for patients who have stopped the cause of their liver disease. This includes patients with HCV, HBV, alcohol related liver disease, and many other liver diseases. This has been known for many years.

The issue is that if a patient progress to (stage 4) cirrhosis, it is an entirely different “animal”. Cirrhosis is not just more fibrosis. The liver cells regenerate themselves differently, the architecture of the liver is changed (becomes nodular) and the blood vessels change (new vessels are created that cannot accommodate as much blood volume as the normal vessels. As a result, portal vein pressure increases. This portal hypertension leads to many of the common symptoms of decompensated cirrhosis. Encephalopathy, esophageal varices, Caput medusa (dilated abdominal veins caused by the back pressure of blood in the umbilical vein) and various other complications of cirrhosis. These symptoms do not appear when a person only has different stages of fibrosis. .). So it is not the amount of liver cells that become fibrotic, it is how cirrhotic the liver has become which has altered the liver architecture  and its ability to function.

It is still a question that scientists and doctors are studying as to weather all stages of fibrosis and cirrhosis are reversible. I will be taking part in an experimental program for people listed for transplant with decompensated cirrhosis this Summer who will try to eliminate our HCV (which has caused the liver disease) and reverse our cirrhosis. The outcome is unknown that is why this is an experiment. As many of you know it is risky and not advised to treat decompensated cirrhosis with Interferon and Ribavirin. As treatment itself could cause liver failure and possible death.

Thanks.
Hectorsf
I was going to PM you about the details of this study you're entering this summer, but if you're willing to elaborate more, perhaps this a good thread for it - and I hope Mike doesn't mind......

What meds are being used and at what doses?

How will they determine if scarring has stopped  and reversed?

In case of liver failure, is a transplant readily available?

I wish you all the best in moving forward with this, Hector, Pam

I often wonder what would have happened if I never treated to this point (being diagnosed in 1994). To tell everyone the truth, I was feeling and doing great until I started treatments. I know some don't like to hear that, but I'm laying my cards on the table. What would have happened?

My neighbor across the street has Leukemia. It's non-curable. He was given 6 months. That was two years ago. Still alive. Again, what would have happened?

Magnum
Hi, Trish! Thanks for your kind words. I will do as you suggest and post the results of the biopsy, although it may not be for a while. I'm having an ecodoppler tomorrow (I can get one every six months if I want), and I'll post those, with a short explanation of what the test is all about.

Hugs!

Mike
Hi! Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you are doing very well on Tx. Congratulations!

I hear what you're saying about doing a test run, but there are various factors that militate against it, the main ones being the creation of mutation sub-species and then not killing them, and getting the immune system used to Int./Riba. I've had a discussion of these issues with a number of hepMDs and they had no good answers. Until they do, I won't experiment.  The unknowns are too scary.

Cheers!

Mike
Hi! How's it going? Are you doing okay?

Thanks for the heads-up on CoenzymeQ10. I did some reading about it two years ago when I was researching antioxidants and was thinking of trying it, but then I got sidetracked and never got back to it. As a matter of fact, some of the places I buy my antioxidants from sell cocktails of Q10 and antioxidants like ALA (if I remember rightly), so I might try those.

I experimented with doses when I saw that my regime was working but did not succeed in tweeking the numbers any further. I got my present dosages by comparing info from a lot of websites, in particular that of the Pauling Institute, which has a lot of good info on dosing.

Your point about age is a good one. I've read everywhere that a lot of liver-related and changes occur with age, for example the amount of glutathione we can reduce (in its reduction/oxidation function), which is why I decided to take ALA. Probably the most significant age-related change that affects the liver in hepatitis seems to be immune system changes. But the researchers don't agree on those changes' ultimate effect on liver cell destruction (which some of them claim is due to immune system attack on HCV-infected cells). Maybe it's a six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-the-other kind of thing, where a decrease in hepatic cell destruction (as a result of diminished immune response to the virus with age) is cancelled out by an increase in viral proliferation (due to infected cells not being killed). Anyway, there are certainly a lot of age-related HCV issues, like the change of the rate of fibrosis progression after about 65, that have not been worked out yet.

Cheers!

Mike
Hi again. Sounds like you are probably making the right decision to go ahead with the Telaprevir trial. I don't think the non-Interferon tests are even close to conclusive yet. They're going to have to beat standard Tx to get approval.

How many biopsies have you done? If you've done more than one, you should post the series of biopsy results together with comparative blood data. There are almost no horizontal studies over time of fibrosis progression (biopsy) vs. blood scores in individuals. It's some of the info that is sorely lacking.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll go to Brazil for Int./Riba. + Telaprevir. I realize I may come to regret it.

Mike
Hi, Stef. Congrats on reducxing your fat tissue and cholesterol! I will check out the glutathione liposomes. I read that taking glutathione was ineffective, which is why I'm doing the ALA, but maybe with liposomes it will work. Would be nice.

What are these trials ending in June?

Cheers!

Mike
Debby! How the heck are ya!? Long time no see.

Don't give me that stuff about getting old. You look great. Or did you run those pix through Photoshop? . . . Just kiddin, Debs. . . Don't get mad . . .

Yeah, gonna tango til I drop.

Hugs and kisses.

Mike
Hi, Loli. Thanks for the good words. It helps a lot to know there are people on my side in this. I get to feeling pretty lonely out here, like I'm the only one in the world who isn't Tx-ing.

M.
Hi, Pam. Congratulations on your successful treatment. I believe you may be able to regenrate some liver cells and drop a stage. Maybe it's wishful thinking to believe that, but from all I've read about the body it does heal if the infection or other attack is removed. Keeping healthy is the way to do it.

I had a biopsy in 2008 right after I was diagnosed. It gave about F1/F2, A2. I say "about" because the slides were seen by three different MDs and they had conflicting reads on it. I had a Fibroscan (actually three Fibroscans, but that's another story) a year later that gave the same.

The platelet drop scares me because I have recently been having maxillary bone loss and need periodontal surgery, and platelets are what make that work so they tell me. For the moment my platelets seem to be holding around 130k.

Cheers!

Mike
Wigs are cool, Cheryl. Even people who haven't lost their hair use them. I'm partial to the blue and the orange ones, myself [wink].

M.
I had poor luck with Fibroscan. You may recall my serio-comic Fibroscan stories posted here two years ago. Three scans in two months with widely differing results. I think the machines work, it's the human operators who can't be trusted. Yup, MDs.

What we need is operator-less fibrosis tests. A machine that you crawl into, press a button, and get a readout, like old scales at drugstores. But that wouldn't improve AMA Inc.'s profit margin.

M.
So you've taken up tango dancing? Great! Now we have something serious to talk about [grin]. If I can give you any help with it, just let me know. I've been at it for ten years and even a slow learner like me picks up a few cool techniques in that time. Where are you taking lessons? Try to study with Argentines if you can. Not many other people move the right way for tango. And it's all in the way you move...

There's a lot of good tango music, the good bands and singers from the 40s and 50s, on youtube. Try plugging in Miguel Calo, for example, or Osvaldo Fresedo.

You take liquid Phoschol? I never heard of it. Is it cheaper or something than the pills? I get mine from Betterlife. $139 for 300 900mg caps. What are you paying?

M.
¿Vos bailás a Piazzola? Me extraña mucho.

M.
You wrote:

"What would have happened if I never treated"

The answer, I think, is that no one knows. There's just no way to prognose liver disease progression. I've read maybe thirty studies of fibrosis progression, and there was no conclusive answer in any of them.

Treating is a gamble. So is not treating.

In my case, I'm just too healthy to run the risks of treating. But I may very well live to regret that decision, which is really only a temporary one. However, if my tests start to go bad and I progress to F2/F3, I'll reconsider. Hopefully by then there will be better treatments.

I don't know your HCV history so I can't really give an informed opinion on your own decision. But you had your reasons for treating when you did. There's nothing to gain now from looking back. Life's easy in hindsight, but we don't get have that luxury, so why torture yourself about it?

Mike
I'm only pretending to be a Tango dancer - its good for my image. Like driving around in a SUV when you never leave town.

Liquid Phoscol's just a tad cheaper. Even though it tastes vile - it's easier for me than 3 big gel caps. I haven't used it for a couple years. Probably I should - expensive as it is, it's a bargain if it does anything.
Pretending to dance tango? Shame on you! [grin]

I can't be certain the Phoschol does something, but I kind of think it does. There's certainly been a lot of research published on its hepatoprotective qualities. How much were you taking? Three caps at a throw sounds like too much. I do two caps a day, which is more or less the average of opinions on dosage. If you have trouble swallowing them, what about rolling them in something sweet like maple syrup? Phoschol caps are sticky and the maple syrup should adhere well.

Why not actually try tango dancing? It's fun, good exercise, and an acceptable way of getting close to women [sometimes too close]. After dancing they'll be ready to go for a spin in your SUV.

Mike