dangers of benedryl?
seems that 25mg benedryl seem to help me sleep at night and lesson skin itch. i dont want ambien or addictive meds. my liver damage is very low but viral load high. am i making a dangerous decision? of course i will check with doc when we meet in a few weeks but u guys seem to have the scoop. thx, babs
Hi -  I can't find the exact source but I have read that Benadryl is not harmful to your liver if taken correctly.  I don't sleep either and have taken it a few times this pat month.

Quote from a DR:

"As an antihistamine, long term use of the drug isn't particularly unusual, and I'm unaware of liver damage being caused by long term use of Benadryl alone, assuming you're taking normal doses of it, of course, and that you're not a heavy drinker or taking other drugs that are known to be pretty hard on the liver, like high doses of Tylenol, as those can cause liver problems on their own."
I doubt that Benadryl is harmful since my children's doctor had me use it on them when they were very little.

My hepatologist has me on Ambien CR, so I don't think that will hurt either. I think not getting enough sleep is much more detrimental to us because that weakens the immune system as well as throwing the hormones all out of whack.

Diane
I don't believe that Benadryl use in normal doses is more dangerous in the presence of hep c.  In fact, my husband, who has cirrhosis, has been given given Benadryl as a mild sedative, and was recommended to try it for his Riba itch (though it didn't help much with that, and he was given Atarax).  Hope that helps. ~eureka
My hep doc has given me permission to take 50mg at night for sleep. He says it is perfectly safe and if it works, which it does, and doesn't cause a hangover effect, which is doesn't for me, I can take it every night.
My doc said it was okay for me to take benadryl when I was on Hep C treatment.  It helped the itching and helped me sleep.  
I couldn't have made it through treatment without my Ambien and like Diane I used it all of the time with my children when they were little (well not all of the time..........) and it was fine I doubt any pediatrician would prescribe it for children if it could possibly carry any risk.

Plus a ton of people here have taken it to help them over the years and I'd think by now someone would have advised against it.

I really don't know how much benedryl will help with the itch as the medications cause an eczema like reaction that is best handled by using good lotions to hydrate the skin. Benedryl did absoutely nothing for me with the 'riba-rash' (which we understand is caused by the interferon but still call it that).
Has anyone gone thru new treatment OLYSIO.  If so would u PLEASE tell me how the your experience is or was. Im thinking about doing it.my blood pressure is so high because of hepc was wondering if it will go down after starting OLYSIO.  Thanks for any info. binks6846
This thread is from 2010 to get your question noticed so you can get answers go to the top right of the page and click on the post a question green link.

Is that the treatment your doctor recommends there are other newer treatments most are taking now but that is determined by your doctor based on your health and genotype what med is for you.

Please post a new question.

Good luck
Lynn
Anyone heard of antihistamines treating hepc? Combined with something else for cheaper than new Harvoni....?
Don't you think that all of our insurance companies would have had us do that instead of spending $86,000+ on us? This is an old thread, if you have a new question, pose one by clicking on the green pose a question button above.
Lovey.  Sorry, not to be.
.....Kim
Long term use of Benedryl has been linked to dementia and a decrease in cognitive function.  Probably doesn't seem relevant today but you would be surprised how fast 10 years go by when you are getting great sleep.
Lack of sleep has been linked to dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

I use benedryl frequently to help me sleep and reduce the itch caused by my elevated bilirubin (I have compensated stage 4 cirrhosis).

I believe it's less harmful to me than sleep deprivation (or the use of sleeping pills, since it is not addictive or damaging to the liver).