Holistic Care For Pets Community
GABA for help with anxious dog?!

This community is for questions and support regarding holistic care for your pets.

GABA for help with anxious dog?!

I am trying to get a professional/experienced opinion on whether or not it would be ok to try a GABA supplement for my dog's anxiety, and if so, how much would be safe to take? She is about 5 years old weighs 18 pounds.

I've tried herbal blends and treats with herbs and little doses of supplements in them but none of that has been strong enough. I've tried T-touch and wrapping/swaddling her and Thundershirt and they are not strong enough. I've used the prescription acepromazine for when she got really bad with intermittent thunderstorms, however since all of the thunderstorms in Missouri seem to happen a night she has now become just generally terrified at night whether there is a storm or not. For the past month I've had to give her Ace nearly every night or she would not let me sleep, but it is undesirable to have to use sedatives so frequently. She cannot be crated because with metal and plastic crates she rips out her dew claws and bloodies her gums trying to get out. In the fabric types of crates she just chews/tears her way out. I live in a tiny apartment and have no room i can close her into without her destroying something or injuring herself trying to get out.
The doctor has now got me trying Clonazapem but it makes her wobble like a drunkard, seem oblivious to her own safety, and voraciously hungry - its not life threatening but its no fun to deal with either.

Because of clonazapem's effects on GABA production in the brain i began to wonder if by just giving her a GABA supplement if i may see improvement in her anxiety/fear issues over time without the side effects of using the heavy drugs like clonazapem, prozac, xanax etc...

This discussion is related to 5-htp.
Tags: Dogs, help with, GABA, Anxiety, Fear, thunderstorm phobia, supplements, safe dosage, sleep, gamma amino butyric acid
hi....sorry there is no Vet on this community any longer...if you re-post your question on this Animal Health forum there is an excellent Vet there that will reply

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Animal-Health---General/show/112?controller=forums&action=show&id=112&camp=msc