Hysterectomy Community
Pros and Cons of keeping the cervix

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Pros and Cons of keeping the cervix

To: All
I need to have a hysterectomy and have opted for a lap assisted vaginal. I'm interested in getting information and feedback on keeping my cervix. I have fibroids and because of the locations, keeping it may not be an option. We won't know until they get in there, but I'd like to get everyone's any thoughts on the pros and cons of removing the cervix. Thanks.

I just posted to you on the other thread. Hope the info helps...

Mary
I just had a hyst and did not keep my cervix. I really debated about that and had a long discussion with my Dr. about it and she admitted it was a "hot" topic at the moment. There is not a definitive answer is the short version. Studies have indicated it helps support the pelvic floor and then studies have shown it doesn't. I too had a few fibroids and one was in my cervix. I finally asked my Dr. what would she do if it was her and she said take the cervix. I just didn't want to have to ever go back and have more surgery. I know I haven't been real helpful but wanted to share what I chose to do. Take care and God Bless,
Teresa
Hi. I had my hysterectomy 6 months ago, they left my cervix, decision of the doctor. I recommend that you let your doctor decide, if he feels it is a risk for you to leave it, let him take it, if your cevix is healthy then let him leave it.
The only good thing about trying to save the cevix is that in Europe, they believe that the cervix plays an important role in holding the upper organs in place, and if they leave it in your older years your organs will stay in place instead of falling and it will avoid problems of falling bladder, vagina, etc.
You can have a better elder life. But only if the cervix is in good condition. You will still have a risk of cancer in the cervix, so pap are still required. My doctor believes in saving the cervix is better for all us girls. Good luck! Also they believe that you will keep your sex pleasure better if you keep the cervix.
Hello.  I had my hysterectomy in 1971.  I was 21 years old.  It was a complete hysterectomy.  I was reading the other post and I must tell you that it did not alter sexual pleasure in the least.  As far as that goes, I couldn't tell the difference.  I have never had any problems to date.  I stopped taken any estrogen 15 years ago, and again have suffered no problems.  I will let you know if that changes.  Try not to worry.  I agree with nunis, your doctor really will decide what's in your best interest.  Good luck, you'll do fine.
I had a total in July and I have been nothing but happy I did. My doctor gave me the option to keep my ovaries and I just did not want to take a chance and then have to go back and have to have them removed later. We have alot of cancer in my family and I just didn't want to risk it.
Thanks for the feedback. Because my issue is fibroids and not cancer, I would like to keep as much as possible. Because of the location of the fibroids, I've decided to let my surgeon make the final determination based on how the cervix is. If it has fibroids, it will go or if my other fibroids are too large to remove laparoscopically, she have to do a vaginal. I started a 3 month coarse of Lupron to reduce the fibroids, so we'll know more in a few months. Again thanks for the feedback.

You stated that you didn't keep the cervix.  I suppose I was not informed enough prior to my having the hysterectomy.  I wish I had known more before hand.  Dr. took my cervix too and never told me it may help support the pelvis.  He was just taking it because he was doing it all vaginally.    I had the the surgery 6 months ago and last month developed a severe enterocele and rectocele because of the hysterectomy.  I am now 5 weeks post op from the repairs and now it has come back again.  I am about at my wits end and dont know how to fix this!!!  I wish I had known and I would have kept the cervix since nothing was wrong with it.  Now I have all these problems and not sure if I will ever be ok again.  did you experience these hernias too?
sorry, the last reply post I meant to go to Teresa, not you grahnbeading. Sorry I sent to your attention.
I am so sorry for the problems you have been having. I haven't had that and hope that I do not. I actually hadn't heard of it before. I wonder if it is more common with vaginal hysterectomies? Please keep after your dr's. to get some relief you shouldn't be miserable!!!

I had my post op appointment on Fri. and found out my ovaries were so adhered to the uterus etc. the surgeon probably couldn't have saved my cervix. It made me feel better about me decision as I really struggled over that.

Best wishes to everyone!

Teresa
I had a supra-cervical hysterectomy back in June & left the ovaries & cervix.  Turns out that I am one of the 5% of all woman who will continue to have a menstral cycle after this procedure when the cervix is left in place.  I am schedule next month to have a my cervix cauterized.  That will stop the bleeding, but I have also developed severe menstral cramps mid-cycle & at cycle.  The doctor said that I won't have the cramps at cycle anymore (because there won't be one), but I will still get them when I ovulate.  If after this procedure, 3 months out, I am still not happy, he will then go back in & remove the ovaries as well.  If I had been aware that this was possible, I would have had it all done at the same time & saved myself the aggrevation of all of this!  Thought this information might be helpful to anyone considering this procedure.
I hope things work out for you. It isn't fun to have to go back and have more work done. I won't miss the cramps that's for sure :-) I understand wanting to keep your cervix and especially your ovaries. My surgeon did mention the possibility of bleeding - she said there is no dotted line where you should cut and if there is any uterine tissue left there is a chance of spotting/bleeding. I really debated about leaving my cervix and would for sure have kept an ovary if I could have but the endo had ruined them. Let us know how the cauterization goes for you next month.

Take care and God bless,

Teresa
The cervix is a small orifice or opening into your uterus.  With  it you will continue to have pap smears, without it you won't.  I think keeping it has no merits, and then there is cervical cancer. I would lose it myself. And I am actually.
I wanted to wish you well with you surgery. I hope everything goes well and will keep you my prayers.

Teresa
Thank you so much, that was very thoughtful, and made me smile! :)
I was just advised by my doctor he wanted me to have a hysterectomy just my uterus .. but did state that if my ovaries were in bad shape he would take them too ..  I have to admit I am scared to death my mom had one about my age 37 and she stated that she seen no sex drive with a change in skin and hair texture .. Im not entirely sure if I should have it.. I do have dysfuctional unterus bleeding . Wow all these post are making me worry..
You have to weight the pros and cons.  I had a prolapse and it was the best thing for me. Best of luck.
Keep the cervix or you'll loose the length of your vagina. I had a supracervical hysterectomy. Talked to three doctors and several women who had the same surgery to get as much info as possible. I decided on the doctor of my choice and he gave me the same thing...we went know until we are in there. No, the cervix stays was my demand. I even wrote it on the hospital paperwork I signed. I wrote that unless it was a life and death situation, the cervix was to stay in tact. If it needed to come out, I could go under the knife again. Better to keep as much as you can. Yes, I still have to have yearly paps, but that's okay. Because I wanted to keep it my surgery was done both through the vagina and belly button. Take a sock and rubberband off a few inches in from the toe and then try to put your foot in. Think of that as your vagina and what affect it might have on your sex life. If you want to loose your cervix too then definetly talk it over with your husband if your married because it will affect him too quite possibly. Hope this helps.
Wow.  I had a hysterectomy at 37, everything went except the ovaries. No more anemia and severe cramping or excessive bleeding. I have had a wonderful sex life post hysterectomy without a cervix.  I've never heard of loosing the length of the vagina or falling inner parts. I'm surprised to read some of these posts.  My heart goes out to those that experienced such things.
All the best to you with whatever you decide.  I just wanted you to know that I'm cervix free and have never looked back :)