Incontinentia Pigmenti Community
Two recent miscarriages?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to incontinentia pigmenti, genetics, and breast, dental, eye, hair, nail, nervous system and skin problems.

Two recent miscarriages?

I have IP diagnosed at birth, my mam had a miscarriage before me at 4mths and then after me she went on to have 2 girls.  Im not sure if my sisters have IP altho my mam doesnt seem to and neither do they.  I knew very little about IP when i had my first child, a son, born in 1997 and then when i had my daughter born 2000 (she was diagnosed with IP) she developed blisters 4days after being born.  Luckily myself and Lauren (my daughter) are both mildly affected, I have worn glasses since i was a child and have less teeth than i should have, Lauren was born with a club foot, although you would never know now as she is very active and she hasnt needed an operation just a splint until she was 6 mths old, we both have scars and it looks like Lauren doesnt have all of her adult teeth (she did have all of her first teeth).  In the last year i have suffered 2 miscarriages, at 10wks and 12wks both babies were boys (i have no children with my current partner) and this has frightened us as it was so upsetting and i lost a lot of blood the second time which has really frightened my partner.  I am 34 do you think it is my age and that i am higher risk now than i was when i had my other 2 children?  Id really appreciate chatting to others who have IP or children with IP, its so interesting as i never knew this forum existed.

Hope to hear from lots of you

Sue xxxx  
It is hard to know what caused your miscarriages.  Certainly there is a high risk of miscarriage if a woman has conceived a boy and the gene was passed along to him.  I am not a physjician, but I would not think that at 34 you are too old to have a child and I doubt that this would be the cause.

If you wish to become pregnant you could have PGD which is a form of in vitro fertilization which is a procedure you might want to ask you ob/gym about.  

Genetic counseling would be a good idea for you.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Susanne Emmerich
Exec. Dir.
IPIF
***@****
Tel: 212 452-1231