Infectious Diseases Community
Dengue and Platelet production

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Dengue and Platelet production

I wonder if anybody knows the relationship between the Dengue virus and Platelet production. I do understand that Platelets are destroyed by the Dengue virus although this occurs within 24-48 hours(?). I would like to know if anybody knows how fast they (platelets) are destroyed during the Dengue critical stage.

i.e. is it like 50,000 platelets a day, or 100,000 platelets a day. OR MORE!

I am a bit of a hypochondriac myself and have been taking measures to increase the platelets in my body in the event that I am struck with the Dengue virus.

So far I have managed to increase my platelets from 261,000 to 348,000 from say beginning of July to September 3rd. Which is a 33.3% increase.
The reference range is between 150,000 - 40000/Cumm.

Look forward to your answers.

Thanks and God Bless!

Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? While Dengue fever is self-limiting, Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever and Dengue Shock Syndrome  are different matter. Hemostatic changes observed in these critical conditions are said to involve three factors: vascular changes, thrombocytopenia or decreased platelet count, and coagulation disorders. There is corresponding increased vascular fragility. Since there are no apparent destructive vascular lesions, and patients may recover after stabilization, this suggests that the transient functional vascular changes are due to a short-acting mediator such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF), interleukin-1 (IL-1), IL-2, IL-6, platelet-activating factor (PAF), among others  as a response of the body to the virus. Platelets are critical to the clotting process and can stop or slow bleeding. Hence, hemorrhagic manifestations may occur from about 24 h before to 24 h with thrombocytopenia and after the temperature falls to normal or below. Shock  may occur within 8 to 24 hours if not managed. (ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88892/)
With regards to the rate of decrease in platelet or vascular fragility, this varies from person to person and may depend on several factors such as the age and medical history of patient and how well is the immune system.  It is good that you are taking measures in increasing your platelet count.  Hope this helps. Take care and best regards.