Infectious Diseases Community
IV Steroids for Asthma causing massive fluid loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

I am at a complete loss, as is my Dr on this...

In October of 2012 I had a heart attack and since that time I have gained quite a bit from fluid retention... my shins vanished and I had pitting edema and SOB when laying down.

This past Sunday (4 days ago) I had an asthma attack and went to the ER for breathing treatments and IV steroids and I had the most unusual reaction to the steroids because after leaving the ER I started to urinate massive amounts and shedding the edema and fluid retention and today when I saw my Dr for a follow-up it was discovered that I had lost 24 pounds since Sunday!

I was prepared for fluid *gain* with steroids, not this massive loss.

No medications were changed and nothing had changed but the IV prednisone and the diuretic effect has continues to a lessor degree since then with the oral prednisone.

I cannot find anything in my searches to explain why this might be happening and would appreciate any help in finding the cause behind this because something strange is going on.
Tags: steroids, fluid loss, help.strange, contrary, Heart, mystery
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other medications are you taking right now?  While steroids usually antagonizes diuretic effects of medications such as furosemide, your symptom  could be due to possible underlying issues or possible drug interaction. Not all people experience the same medicine side effects and people may react differently with any medications. To determine the cause, further evaluation may need to be done also. as well as additional diagnostic tests may be requested. Take care and do keep us posted.