Infectious Diseases Community
Infection from a nail salon cut? PLEASE HELP.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

I went to a nail salon yesterday and the lady doing my nails accidentally cut my finger (cuticle area), which made it bleed.

I am concerned about 2 things:

1) I am scared that the metal tool she used to cut my finger is dirty/infected (she later confessed they do not use an autoclave to sterilize, only disinfectant solution)

AND

2) She put her bare finger (no gloves!) on the cut to stop the bleeding before covering it with a cotton pad!

I'm concerned about an infection (especially staph / MRSA!) or even something like HIV because I had a fresh, open and bleeding wound from a possibly dirty tool and she touched it with her bare hands!

What are the chances of getting an infection? What should I watch out for and do about it? :(
Thank you!
Tags: staph, MRSA, Infection, Wound, cut, nails, salon, Bleeding, HIV, hand, nail salon, Blood
Hi, well I would call them or try to talk to the manager to find out what type of disinfectant they use to keep their tools in. If it is bleach then it would kill HIV and any bacteria on the scissors.  But I would worry a little about Hepatitis. Usually bleach kills that too. But, I would also ask them what concentration of bleach they use. If it is 10% that is good also how often they change the bleach. There are certain guidelines by the health department if they are licensed that they have to go by.  I don't know if there is any difference in the rules or guidelines in the standards in BC versus the US so that is why it would be good to find out specifically what they used. If they used a bleach substitute let me know what it is and I can look up its affect on these organisms.

It is unlikely you got anything if the tool was in bleach before she cut you. But if you really don't know and can't find out you could get tested for these. The likely hood if there was actually blood from someone else on the tool is still low for HIV such as less that 0.1%. Also, in Hepatitis is higher. I would have to look it up again. I think around 10%. Again I would have to double check the number on that. But that is if there was blood on it and if she didn't have it in a disinfectant. I highly doubt it.  If you wanted to get tested I would do the HIV 4th generation duo test in about 40 days after exposure and the Hepatitis tests about 8-12 weeks for both Hepatitis B and C.

Try not to worry I really don't think you got exposed.

So as for bacteria the most likely thing is normal skin bacteria called Staph epidermidis. It isn't likely. I wouldn't worry too much about MRSA.  If it hasn't gotten red or swollen or painful (no pus and no fever) in 48 hours you are probably fine.

let me know if you have any questions.
mkh9