MAI infection
My father was diagnosed with MAI in March of 2012.  He also has COPD.  He was hospitalized for a fungal pneumonia in November 2012.  The fungus is aspergillis, but it has still not been especiated.  His MAI regimen apparently is not working, he went from being sick, yet stable, into a respiratory crisis that led him to being put on a ventilator on December 22, 2012.  Since then, he has had a bacterial pneumonia twice, and sepsis once.  We were old he would not live to "see" 2013, but he is still in ICU, still heavily sedated on a ventilator.  We are anxiously awaiting suseptibility tests (for the MAI) fom National Jewish.
I feel like his current hospital dropped the ball as far as the suseptibility tests, we found out the cultures were sent later than we were told, but that is a whole other issue.
Has anyone else went through this?  My Dad is only 59, and he is the most kind-hearted, generous person I have ever known.  I know everyone feels strongly about their parents, but seriously, I don't know what my family would do without him, and I also don't know how much more we can take.
How is your father? How was the test results?  I'm sorry to hear what you've been through for the last weeks. Indeed, pulmonary infection with Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare (MAI), usually occurs in subjects with damaged lungs such as those afflicted with pulmonary tuberculosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and the lungs of heavy smokers or in persons with immunodeficiency. There are many factors to be considered in the outlook of such conditions. Other forums in Medhelp that may help include Respiratory Disorders. Take care and hope all is well. Do keep us posted and best regards.