Interstitial Cystitis Community
IC or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

IC or something else?

Last month, I went to an after hours clinic with symptoms of UTI with lower back pain. Low grade fever. Was prescribed ten days of Cipro. Symptoms cleared up after taking meds.

Two weeks ago I started having symptoms of UTI again. After a visit with the doctor, urinalysis was neg., culture came back neg. I was prescribed 3 days of cipro on the off chance it could be a UTI. Visited doctor again once antibiotics were finished. They suggested doing a pelvic. Everything looked good, except for evidence of BV. Now I'm on another seven days, this time of Flagyll. Right now I'm on day 3 of meds, but still having symptoms of UTI (burning lower abdomen and urethra but doesn't burn during urination- things are a bit swollen down there, due to BV?). Doctor doesn't think that BV would be causing urinary symptoms.
Any thoughts?
Boy it sounds like it could be IC.  It took me about 4 or 5 years to get a diagnosis.  Went from Dr. to Dr. - all the same thing- UTI symptoms, but no bacteria- so no UTI- but I was given antibiotics anyway and the symptoms subsided. I had low abdominal pressure, frequency, and urgency and pain.
I finally went to a urologist who did a cystoscopy in the office and saw that I had "granulation tissue" in my bladder- so my bladder has trying to heal areas that were damaged.  Why don't you go on some of the good IC sites? ICA- IC Association, and the ICN- IC Network are both really good.  You could start with looking at the foods/beverages that are painful. You could stop: anything acidy: tomatoes, lemon, oranges, caffeine- soda, coffee, chocolate.  Those are the worst.  I was prescribed Elmiron, Detrol and Attarax .  That with the diet elimation had - and life has been so  much better!  Good luck!