Interstitial Cystitis Community
Kindey stone or IC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Kindey stone or IC

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone (2cm) about four weeks ago. I took all the medications and strained my urine as instructed. The pain stopped after about a week but I never saw the stone come out. Now I have what feels like a UTI but without the fever and pain during urination (mostly urgency and nocturn...). I am wondering if the stone could be stuck in the urethra since I have a constant dull pain right at the opening.
What can I try at home to relieve/diagnose since I don't have insurance and I'm unemployed?

This discussion is related to Kidney stone causes IC?.
Hi there!

A 2 ‘cm’ kidney stone is unlikely to be passed in urine or reach the bladder or urethra unless broken down; though it could reduce in size over time after dissolution. However for all practical purposes especially in patients with symptoms/ complications it would require interventional measures/ surgery to remove the stone. The type of procedure may depend on the location of the stone. Though the situation can temporarily be managed with pain killers, it is best advised to see a urologist for appropriate management to avoid complications.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!