Umbilical Hernia
I just found out I have one of these and I have to get surgery.  Anyone have this before?  How was pain after surgery?  What was recovery like?   Because I have a lot of pain in different places of my abdomen, Is it possible to have more than one type hernia?

I have a 4 month old and I was told I could not pick him up for  a while afterwards, which really stinks. I am a SAHM, and just wondering how long I may need help.  Thanks so much in advance for any responses.

~d
I just had umbilical hernia surgery Friday.  I'm going to be blunt - the first 24 hours was pure hell - it felt like a c-section.  Any movement (trying to get out of bed, etc) was bad but about 36 hours later, the pain was much, much better.  Immediately after the surgery, there was pain but the surgeon injected a local anesthetic during the procedure so it was bearable.

I'm not supposed to pick up the baby for about one week post-op although I fed him one time when my husband put him in my arms.  This was painful as I didn't want the baby to get anywhere near my stomach.  You'll definitely need help for at least a week post-op.  I know of at least two types of hernias - inguinal and umbilical.  Also I'm sure your surgeon will give you some type of pain relief pills for your recovery.  I'm currently taking Loratab every 6 hours (approx).

I too have a four month old baby boy as well.  My advise is to have the surgery and get it over with.  My surgeon told me that if I waited until the baby was 20+ pounds, it would get much larger.  Actually when he performed the operation, he found two hernias so I was glad to be finished with it.

Pm me if you have any questions that I can answer - bless your heart - I know pretty well what you're having to go through - jennifer  
Jen thank you so much.  I will not put it off now.  My lil boy is already 18lbs 6 oz. I have a consultation with the surgeon on sept 3.  I had a c section with him and it was horrible. But you really helped mentally prepare me for this.  Knowing what to expect gives me an idea of the help I will need.  The hernia just became painful over the past 2 weeks  and I am miserable.  Just not looking forward to surgery again.  Thanks again.

~d
good luck w/your surgery!!  Keep me posted and let me know if I can answer any questions.  I feel like I'm a fountain of knowledge after going through this and congrats on your baby boy!!  Oh and I too had a horrible c-section.  I later found out one of the reasons it hurt so bad is they were pressing down very hard on the hernias when they were pushing (or pulling) the baby out - lovely, huh??