Maternal & Child Community
Anyone have multiple C-Sections?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone have multiple C-Sections?

My husband and I are hoping to have a large family (4-6 children); however, women in my family have a rep for hard births and c-sections.  They were told after their third child not to have any more children because additional c-sections are dangerous.  Have any of you had more than three c-sections?  What is your experience?
I have had 2, and no one has even mentioned anything about this.  The only thing I have been told is that I will not likely be allowed to try v-bac next time.
I had one c-section already and am having another one.  I know that only makes 2.....

BUT..........

My cousin had 3 kids, all c-sections.  The dr. told her that she couldnt have anymore kids because her scar tissue was hard as a rock and I guess this poses a threat for her.  So she tied her tubes.  So the dr basically shut her off!!  Everyone IS different so you never know, you could have more than that and be fine.  I think it depends on how long you wait in between births too!  She had 3 kids in a matter of 4 years I think.  She had the oldest one and then she was 18 months old when she had the 2nd one and I cant remember how old he was before the last one came.  I know it was close.  So this plays a part in it as well.  Good luck!!
Ethel was not a Kennedy by birth, and thus escaped the Kennedy curse.  She probably could have had 20 C/sections.
Ive had 1 c section and have another c section next week and have been advised not to have any more. The risks get higher with each c section its very common for women to have 3 sections but they dont like doing any more than that if they can. There are people on this site who have had 4 c sections I have a friend who has had 4 and she said she should of only had 2 but shes fine. My specialist with my first pregnancy is from Russia said he did 9 sections on the same woman but said it is very dangerous. Good luck fingers crossed you dont have to have c sections so you can have a big family.
There certainly are women who have had more than 3 c/sections, but it is correct that it raises the risk with each subsequent one.  Most doctors would want you to think long and hard about having more than 3.  

Hi.  I had one c-section and then went VBAC with no trouble.  Have you had a c-section already?  

Talk to your doc and do as much research as possible.  

Good luck.

BTW -- Ethel Kennedy delivered her 11 children by c-section.  Obviously everyone is different and you need to protect your health so you can be there for the children.

A friend of mine is having her 3rd c section and her doctor has already told her she has a lot of scar tissue from the first two. He advised her no more kids after this one. She told him she is going to have 4 either way so when he goes in for the next c section he will remove as much scar tissue as he can while he is there. She will have and epidural and it will take a little longer but he also told her not to get preggers until this one is 12months. So there are more options if you have to have a ceaser. I have had 1 with my first due to long labour and because my pelvis was already streached from my first pregnancy I had a successful VBAC with my second. So this may also be an option.
i have had 2 c-sections and plan to have more children, hubby wants 6 ( i think that will be with someone else though :)..lol..) iwould like three or four depends on how crazy i am after my kids now grow up a little more but i think that if everything goes ok in the c-section and no complcations your doc wont tell you no more.
i have 3 children, 1st vaginal, 2nd 2 csections d/t small pelvis, larger babies, and gestational diabetes.  i opted to have my tubes tied with my last child because my dr said that 2 csections are safe enough, but with each subsequent csection the risks get much higher.  luckily she was able to go over the same spot for both csections (so only 1 scar) but she did see scar tissue, so i guess my decision was a good one for me.  it's definitely something worth talking over with your dr.  good luck
No.  I'm 19 weeks preggo with my first baby, but people are already telling me that a CS might be in the cards (small pelvis).  I am planning to try for a vaginal delivery, but we'll see.  I guess I just want assurance that if I can't deliver naturally I can still have the big family I've always dreamed of.
I've had 3 C-sections and if I hadn't had my tubes tied I could have had more children. My doctor told me after every one that I should wait at least a year to let my body heal. There is 3 years between my 2 oldest and 8 years between my youngest and middle child. It is a much harder recovery and you will want to start doing sit-ups as soon as you're released to do them. It's hard to get your muscles back where they were before you have a C-section but it can be done.!!! Just talk to your doctor because everyone is different. If you want 4 children and plan right you should be able to do it. Also, my sister-in -law had her first 2 C-section and her last one vaginally so every pregnancy is different. Good Luck
I had my 1st vaginal, 2nd emergeny C, and third a scheduled C.  My doctor said a 3rd Csection would be okay but he wouldn't advise any more.  He said I had a lot of scar tissue from my first C-section.  I might have one more but that is it after that I am too afraid of losing the baby.
My friend had 3 and the dr didn't advise against another pregnancy, she did ask if she wanted her tubes tied, but just because it is easy to do during a c-section. I met a grandmother at my kids' playgroup who had had 5 in Canada!!!
It doesn't have to be a problem, but for all you who had a c-section and are pregnant again: If you have placenta previa or a low anterior placenta, be aware of the risks of placenta accreta!!! It happens more often then you think and can be dangerous!
Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't realise I told you this already on a different thread.
I have had three c-sections and am about to try to conceive  number four, my dr. has never mentioned anything except that you get more scare tissue each time and that each surgery will take a little longer than the first, my dr. actually removed some of my scar tissue each time (i guess to make it easier for the next time) she also told me to wait at least before i got pregnant again (to let everything heal) I think you will be ok!
Hi, I don't know all of the facts concerning why you have had the first c-sections or if there have been complications, but I am on c-section #9. All have gone very well with no complications. My doctors have gone by how the uterus looks each time and if all looks good, it's not necessarily more dangerous than the time before.  I am ready to count my blessings and call it good now, but we consider ourselves very blessed to have a large family (I adopted 2 also) I would do it all again.  I have never been told that I shouldn't get pregnant again, I have been aware of the risks, but with all the research that I have done,it just seems like uncharted territory and most doctors just don't want to chance it. I am 40 years old and have exercized regularly swimming and lifting weights. I had g.diabetes last time, but with prayer and exercize was able to avoid it this time. I am due the first of Feb and expect things to go well.  Since you are already pregnant, I would suggest you do the same and save yourself some worry. It might benefit you to get a couple more opinions from other doctors. I truely hope and expect all to go well for you.  DDRay
My 1st baby was by c-section. When he was 23 months I delivered my 2nd baby by c-section. There was a lot of scar tissue to go through and they had a hard time getting him out. He came out all bruised up. It was hard to see. I guess it depends on the persons body. I know people who've had 3 and did just fine. Good luck.
P.S I had a VBAC for my third birth in case you were wondering why I'm having my 5th section but my 6th child lol
Well, I have had 4 c-sections so far, and will be having my 5th in Jan. I guess some Dr's just aren't comfortable with it. I was actually looking into trying for a VBAC for this birth, and in the process found several women who have had up to 7 c-sections (and this one had a VBAC for her 8th child!) I think that's nuts, but she was able to have 7 c-sections and successfully have a VBAC, so I guess it just depends on your particular uterus and scar tissue issues. I haven't had anyone tell me a thing about not being able to have more children...although I am choosing to have my tubes tied this time. 6 babies is enough for me lol :-)
I have had 2 c- sections due to my bicorneliues uterus.  I am 8 weeks pregnant and have to have another c-section i have to travel 200 miles away for another section none of the doctors close want to to another on me because my last section there was 3 times the amount of scare tissue.  I am really affraid
One more think all my babies are breech due to my uterus shape so no option of v-bac i think v-bac is the best after c-section wish i could
having my 5th baby had first two naturally,third  one had to be c section as was 10 days late and couldnt get out,i was recommend to have my 4th by c section which i did,thought she was my smallest and could easily of been born naturally,im really unsure as which way to proceed this time and have been looking for answers,the c section is so painful to recover from,naturally was a breeze.mich
i have had 3 c sections and another op (removal of ovarian cyst) between 2nd and 3rd baby.The cyst was removed  by cutting open the previous scar and was VERY painful afterwards, more so than the c sections.I had my last baby at 40 and was terrified knowing how painful this would be but had excellent care and recovered much quicker than i expected. However 3 years after my last child the scar is still at times very sore and i wonder if this will always be the case.
I have had 2 c sec's, the first emergency, no progress after 26 hours of labour! The 2nd scheduled. I got pregnant 1 year after my first. I can't seem to find anyone with my problem... and that is: when my doc was making the incision on my previous scar, she said my tissue was so thin she could see the baby. I asked her to take note of how i had healed to hopefully have more kids later on. When my baby was out and she was closing me up, she really had a hard time, saying that everytime she pulled the stitch closed it was tearing due to such thin scar tissue (thinner than paper she said) So she had to do it in a different way so it was more secure. However when your pregnant and your uterus is stretched out to the max, it's hard to beleive it wouldn't be thin! Or so i i've been told. SO, after a year and a half, excellent recovery and finally just stopped nursing i'd really like to try for number 3. Is there any tests or way to find out how my scar's have healed or anyone out there in a situation like me?
I've had 2 C sec's, same as you, first emergency and second scheduled.Nobody said anything about my tissue so i don't have any clue how it is or how much amount of scar it is.
I am thinking of the third too, and the doctor said she doesn't see why not to have it, as long as i wait 1 year between my las Cx and getting pregnant.

I am also interested in finding out a way to see the scar situation. I am wondering if an ultrasound could do this. At least check if it's a lot of scar. I had an ultrasound after my first Cx and the scar was visible.

I have also had 2 c-sections.  The 1st one emergency and 2nd scheduled.  Both times, I recovered fine.  We are thinking about going for a 3rd and that would mean a 3rd c-section.  I've been reading about all of these women who have had 3 or more, but I'm still nervous.  

The doctor said I had some scar tissue with the 2nd.  She asked me if I wanted my tubes tied and I said "no" even though I didn't plan on having any more at that time 19 months ago.  When I said "no" she said I was too young to tie my tubes at that time anyway (I was 27).  Now that we want to have a 3rd, that's my reassurance that the doctor wasn't mortified with my internal situation and would be okay with me having another baby.  
My advice to try and avoid a csection is no pitocin and no epidural, seriously look it up they do increase your risk of csection. I have a friend who has had 7 csections and is fine, but i don't know.
My doctors have always been very straight forward about any concerns or risks. Yes, it did take a little longer but not much. We actually video taped the c-section and I thought it still went fairly fast. My doctor always trims away all the old scar tissue. My incision site is very clean. I did not have any problems with excess vaginal bleeding. They suck all the excess blood out and then cauterize. I had a hernia repair at my incision site that ended up getting infected but it had nothing to do with my c-section. My bladder actually had adhesions on it which attached itself to my uterus. The doc just cut it all away. I have a very laid back doctor. He always tries to make the birth fun and exciting. He was the one who suggested us video taping it. We asked about banking blood with #5 and the doc said we could if we wanted to. But really didn't suggest it. I hope I have helped. Mom of 6 and (c-sections).
I just read your script and I wanted to say that anytime a woman has over 4 kids, she is at risk of hemorrhage, even with a vaginal delivery. I know this because I am a L&D nurse. She is called a grand-multip at 5 or more births and we always prepare for a little more bleeding. I don't know why a 5th c-section is considered more risky than a 5th vaginal delivery, except that with a c you are going to lose a little more blood anyway. I really think a lot of OB's are just uncomfortable with it because they don't have much experience with it. My OB said she has done 6 on a woman with no complications.

I am just so relieved to have found all you women that I can relate to so much. I thought I was the only woman on this planet who thought about another baby and 5th c-section as much as I did!
I have had 5 c-sections in 7 years.  I did not want to have c-sections and never even contemplated it until about an hour before I was in OR having my first (emergency).  My second baby was born 11 months after my first and I was strongly advised by 3 doctors not to try a VBAC and unfortunately I backed down to the pressure.  My three youngest were also 'elective' c-sections - I was told I would not be admitted to hospital unless I agreed to have c-sections.  My only option would be a very risky homebirth. I have been bitterly disappointed that I have been unable to have a natural birth and feel I have missed out.  Also having to withstand the comments such as 'too posh to push' (including from my own mother) has not helped.

I would like to have more children but my husband and I are now too worried about something going wrong and I can't convince him to go again.

But I have 5 beautiful children and consider myself very lucky.  The disappointment I have felt at not having a natural bith is nothing compared to the anguish we would have experienced if we had tried for a vaginal birth and something had gone wrong.  I have recovered well after each c-section and have never stayed in hospital for more than 2 nights.

As my children get older there is less emphasis on how they were born as who they are and that they are here becomes the major focus.  I am still disappointed that I feel having c-sections has prevented me from having more children.  However never say never - I am reading everyone's comments with interest.
I've had 6  c-sectios my oldest is 11 yougest is 1 along with a few other abdominal surgery's  I can still have more and I do hope to but I need to wait I had to have my appendix removed at 20 weeks with my last one very scarey and I only have one fallopion tube from an ectopic that ruptured I do have a very suppotave DR. and I think if what you want is a big family by multiply c-sections you have to find a pretty brave DR good luck to all of you
hi im 33yr with 5 beautiful children 14, 11, 10, 8, and a 1 Yr  old  they are all delivered by c sect and im very lucky that i havent had much problems with the births im pregnant with my 6th child which will definitely be a      c sect and this child is due late july early august, i definitely didnt plan  number 6 and havent really had the chance to recover from the last one i can say now that it is not a good idea to have this many i can feel pain sometimes across my scar area im just seeing how i go and taking it easy this definitely will be my last i had been advised against having more children especially after number 5 and i would recommend to anyone to take that advice
I have 4 children & have had 3 c-sections. I have 4 boys 9yo, 4yo & 12wk old twins. My last c-section there was alot of scar tissue that they found hard to get through the surgeon had to get another surgeon in to help her out! I was very scared at that point as it was taking forever to get one of the babies out. Everything went well though & I have recovered really well probably better than the first 2 sections! I really would like to have just one more but I am afraid of having c-section No4. Has anyone had 4 or more c-sections? I was also advised not to have anymore children & I wouldn't want to risk losing my life & my children losing their mother just for my selfish reasons of having another child. I really don't know what to do but I have some time to think about it as my twins are only 12 weeks old I wouldn't want to try for another one for atleast another year or more.
I have had 2 C-sections and soon planning my third. I am only 8 wks pregnant right now but, the drs. only told me that a v-bac probably isn't a good idea because of the risk of uterine rupture. However, they never said anything about risks of a third c-section. I guess as long as you follow the drs. orders and take it easy, it shouldn't be a problem. I have four kids now, I have had 7 previous pregnancies, this is my 8th, and yes, I have had complications before however, I believe God has a plan, if it is meant, then I will deliver it. Goodluck and God Bless.
I will have my 3rd c-section in May.  I have had the one where they cut me from my belly button down and the one low which is across.  I have no problems other them the scar that is going from my belly button down - they don't do that any more though
I'v had 3 c-sections so far. My first two were only 12 months part and my last one was a little over a yr after my second. My dr. actually commented on how well my uterus still looked. It really depends on the person and how recovery has been for each one. Im planning on # 4 and then im done. Im only 22 yrs old, so I don't know if age has anything to do with the way your body heals, but i'v been doing pretty good so far.
I've had two c-sections so far and am thinking about having a total of four kids, God willing.  My doctor told me that he was "cutting out the old scar" when he was performing the second c-section.  Can anyone tell me if they've heard that before and what that means?  And does anyone have advice about having a 4th baby via c-section.  I don't want to risk my baby's or my health, but I'd love a big family.  Thanks!
i've had 2 sections and my dr has no concerns about a third. e did mention that there was thinning, but like you, he cut away all of the old scar tissue. i guess when they do that it's an entirely new incision?
Ive had two sections with my two sons there isnt a year between them my first boy is two in november and my second is one in november i am now having my third and i am nervous because there isint much between them i am jew in febuary any advise please would be great
I am pregnant with my 4th and this will be another C-section. Just wanted to know that what are the chances of VBAC? My youngest is 2 and by the time i will have this baby she will be 32 months (almost 3). My last c-section, was advised to be more careful if want another one because of alot of scars and very thin linning. I have taken chances but with a gap so i pray to god and wish the surgeons can help me out with this.
Hi, am 6wks gone now and this would be my 3rd child, my eldest is 3 and youngest is 17mth so i have had 2 c-sections with 2yrs!..........i have been having really bad abdominal pain for 4 days and went to the A&E had a scan and was told that baby is fine but my scar is really thin and maybe causing the issue and i am being reffered to have a 3D scan next week to find out.......i am so terrified because the dr says that if worst comes to worst i would need to terminate the baby which is something no mother should have to doas i am VERY HIGH RISK but saying that i would like to have my uterus intact for the future as i want more kids!........i was told i should've waited at least 3 yrs before another baby to avoid risk now am left scared to death that something will go wrong but i have faith and reading the other mothers with 5-6 c-sections has lefted a bit of the worry.......any advise?????? from a very worried pregnant mum xx
I am 33 almost 34 wanting a fourth child bad.  I have 3 children all by c-section, 11, 8 and 6.  My husband is almost 6 yrs post vasectomy.  I'm going to see my ob/gyn in early September to discuss this, plus have my annual exam done:(  I have found a Doctor that does vasectomy reversals at a reasonable price.  Sometimes I think what the heck am I thinking my life is perfect right now, but I've got the baby bug bad.  My husband is in between on this decision.  I think he is most concerned with the thought of me having a fourth c-section.  
hi am 32 and about to have my 5th c-section,need some advice please.
I have had one regular delivery, and 44 c sections! I was told by the doctor who did the last c section that my scar tissue was as hard as a rock! She told me that I CAN NOT have anymore kids. She also told me there was barely any bleeding! Now, I think I may be pregnant again! I am terrified! I tend to have 4lb babies. My question is would I be at a higher risk getting another c section or trying to have my child normal? I figure it's a valid question. Small babies, and not a lot of bleeding, is there less risk in a vaginal delivery? I am afraid I'm going to die and leave my kids w/o a mom! Oh, I can NOT have an abortion! HELP please!
bless your heart!  Did you mean to say 4 c sections?  so you have 5 children, first vaginally delivered, and you think you are pregnant with your 6th?  If your scar was as "hard as a rock" that sounds like it would hold together pretty good doesn't it?  I would drill your doc with questions about your last surgery, and then go get another opinion even with a different group!
I have had 3 c sections and I'm pregnant with my fourth child.  I am due in March, and I'm praying hard that God will pave the way for me to have a successful VBAC!  I'm very frustrated by the doctors' readiness to give me the risks of a VBAC, but their lack of willingness to discuss the risk of c sections!
hallow i do hope you are doing great with your pregnacy,am interested in your story because i had a son in january via c- section and he passed away,he was my second child,the 1st noe is 10yrs old i badly need a child,how spaced are your children?please keep me posted even after your delievery.i want to know how you are doing please GOODLUCK
I've had three..and my first two didn't heal properly..was never told this..until having my third.  (different doctor)  I was told during delivery.."good thing you don't want anymore, you couldn't carry them anyway".  
I made another post on here a couple days ago all about this..details are in there.  If you don't see it..let me know and I'll retell the story:O)
hi im 24 and iv had 4 sections.
i have an 8 yr old 5 yr old 3 yr old and twins 8 mths old and i was never told after my 3ed that i cud nt have any more. if any thing i was bk on my feet faster after my twins and i felt better in my self after them.
hi there im on baby number 11 my last 6 have been by c section and all has been fine im now looking into vbac for baby number 11 but will have to wait and see i was told after your 6/7 th section there wasnt any real differance in c setions i think its just the way you heal good luck
I have had 4 c sections. An only have one scar.  Everyone of them went fine. I waited 3 yrs in between them. An that is the number one most important thing to do.  I'm thinking I might have another baby. So good luck to all u mommies.  ;)  stay strong!!!   Exercise helps A LOT with every pregnancy!
Wow I just read #11   u go girl!!  That's awesome.  I want another baby. Would love to go vbac but have had 4 c sections already. My first to births were all natural.  So I have experienced both an they both have their pros n cons.  I just want to do the safest thing. It will be #7 for me. After I get my tubal reversal in a few months ;)  so excited!!  
Love your story & find it very comforting & familiar.
I have had 4 c sections, 17yrs (car accident/complications) 10 (complications emergency cs),8 (elective) & 6...my last birth was awesome, my waters broke a week before I was due for my elective cs, it was the first ime I experienced this & felt I could have given birth naturally but was warned that this would not be a good idea.
I recovered very well with all of them, at times I am saddened that I have never had a Natural Birth but am very greatful to have had Beautiful Healthy Babies.
I am now 35 & am wanting to have another baby but like alot of mums who have had multiple births, have concerns. I have been warned not to have any more but I feel more than confident that all would be fine.
Obviously I will be talking to my doctor before making this big dicision, comsider all risks not only to myself but my baby, my children, my partner & my family.
Thank you for sharing your story, Happy New Year :-)

Larrissa
New Zealand
Wow!!! 11 children thats fanastic I have 7 and had them all c-section...Take Care!!
Hi I have 3 children all was done by c section I was told  not to have no more but I have just found out I am pregnant again and I am sceared I don't want to I die what should I do
I have two c sections,the first 6yrs ago emrgency,2nd 11 months ago,i think im maybe 8 weeks pregnant,do you think is risky,i never had problems with all of them.
I have had 4 c sections in the last 6 years with the first 3 all within 2 and half years and am pregnant again yes there are risks as we all know but with my experience every mum is different i have had no problems with all the c sections other mothers at the hospital thought i had natural birth i just think i all comes down to how well your body handles the surgeries no one can tell you how many you can have i have had people tell me you can only have 4 but every case will differ depending on whether you had complications before or not with my 4th c section me and my doctors discussed whether i wanted to tie my tubes i have all girls and lost my only son in 2006 this pregnancy was a surprise so i told them no cos i have another girl i want to try for a boy and they were ok with that you have risks  no matter whethter it be viginal or c sections...
I have had 5 c setion  and i just find out to day that im pregnant... And im  at lost of words..the last one i had the dr. Told me not to hsve any more. That it was ugly in there. .He said dont make me go back in there. .. I dont know what to do other then pray and ask god for help..be bless
I am very scared for my 4th c section. I have 3 sons. I wish to have a daughter. I am not feeling strong to undergo the c sec. I feel a lot of pain in lower abdominal region. Any advise.
I have had 5 sections and am 5 weeks along with #6 - I was told after #5 (5 years ago) to not have anymore, and this was an "oops".  I have significant omental adhesions to the anterior uterus, bladder densely adhered to anterior uterus, and my lower uterine segment was thin (I carried an almost 9lb baby to 39 weeks after 4 previous sections, so I have no doubt about that!).

Anyone here have 6 (or more!) sections with problems? I had placenta previa with #4 as well.