Menopause Community
Enlarged Uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Enlarged Uterus

In 2006 my doctor had me go for an ultra sound due to an enlarged uterus.  Then every year he mentions it again during my pap and I'd remind him that we've been though this before.
In November of 2011 he said it again and wanted me to go for another ultra sound.  This time the findings were as follows:
TRANSABDOMINAL ULTRASOUND:
Increase of size of Uterus.  . No mass. to: 11.3 x 5 x 5.8  from: 8.5 x 4.6 x 5.4
TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND:
an endometrial thickness of 1.9cm.  a very prominent endometrium especially considering the patient's age.

My doctor, and the OBGYN he sent me to recommend a hysterectomy.  When I asked about alternations, I was told there is none.  It's do it now or do it later, but it would have to be done.

I have missed one period in the past 20 years and that was November of this year.  I had a normal period in December.  
My period have gradually been getting heavier and more painful, but not unmanageable.  Never had an abnormal pap, or bleed between periods.  
I turned 50 in October of this year.

Does an enlarged uterus mean a hysterectomy and no alternatives?    
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Plenty of other alternatives are available for heavy bleeding and not for the enlarged uterus as such. The size of the uterus cannot be altered. The thickened endometrium is probably causing the heavy bleeding. An endometrial biopsy should be done to rule out endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial cancer.
Hope this helps.