Menopause Community
Estrogen/Progesterone therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Estrogen/Progesterone therapy

I have been on bio-identical estrogen/testosterone cream for 3 weeks as well as progesterone 100 mg at night. My doctor thinks, after seeing her yesterday, that I am estrogen dominant and wants me to stop the est/test cream all together, and increased my dose of progesterone from 100 to 200 mg. Today I am feeling tired, sluggish, stomach upset. Is this a normal reaction and does this go away after a certain amount of time? And how long before it goes away? Days? Weeks? Also, with stopping the est/test cream I have no idea how I might feel from abruptly stopping that.  I have read that when you go on hormone cream at first that it activates your progesterone receptors and you feel good, but then eventually the estrogen becomes the dominant one and taking over and can lead to you feeling bad if you are estrogen dominant to start with.  That kind of happened to me. I took the est/test cream and after two days I had a length of 4 days that I felt great, then slid downhill from there. I just wonder what to expect going off the cream and what to expect with an increase in progesterone?  Any suggestions out there?? Thanks
Tags: Menopause
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
It is true that estorgens or HRT give a sense of well being because of the hormonal effect. However estrogens have their own side effects and also now that you have become estrogen dominant, it will sure help to go off it for some time. Progesterone increase will try to counter the effects of estrogen withdrawal. Other measures you can try are meditation; adequate exercise and multivitamin tablets etc in order to restore well being.
Hope this helps.