Too much porn/masturbation cause ED?
Hi I m a 28 year old and suffer some degree of ED in recent. I start masturbated since I m 19 and usually use porn as a form of visual stimiulation. I have observed that I have lost the ability to maintain erect during intercource or I only get weak erection. My question is: does masturbation in association with porn will "exhaust" my interest towards sex and create a negative impact on my ability to get aroused in real sex? I m worried cause I think I m still young to have physical cause  for ED. Any thought?
Like everyone else I am glad I found this forum. I feel compelled to just write and say I am glad that I am not the only one. I don't wish the problem on no one else, but it is tough. I actually was with a girl I like last night, and was trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Like the girls in this forum, I hope I didn't make her feel less attractive because she is VERY attractive.  I have been wondering all day what did I do wrong trying to avoid her because I don't want to mess things up. I know I have a sex drive but didn't know where it went as she was the one trying to initiate sex. I never thought to make the connection till now. So I must say thanks to the guys and especially the girls for their perspective. Wouldn't have been able to grasp how they felt without them.
Firstly, let me just say that I was stuck in the exact same situation for almost three (3!) months.  When lay persons and doctors alike claim that pornography and endless masturbation are perfectly okay and/or normal I now fully believe that they're hoodwinked by many of the silly paradigms that infest our modern society.  Clearly, this Forum suggests that both can be and are harmful, both to our psyche and physical well-being.

Secondly, I suffered the exact same 'crisis' that many of you did.  Before, I never had to think twice about getting aroused with a lady (I'm in my 30s).  Now, finally, after months of modest self-control, exercise, and not getting my mind caught up in 'what ifs' I was able to perform with a dear lady I've been dating for a couple of weeks.  It was nerve-racking at first, but genuine desire and affection won the day, hands-down.  I had no problem and used protection.

If I have any advice to give, I'd say don't get caught up in the idea that your ED is permanent and your sex life is over.  Far from it.  Self-control, exercise, eating right and relaxing are all your friends.  Trust me.  This has actually been a BLESSING IN DISGUISE.  We're men.  We're supposed to be with real, lovely gals not hunched over a dang computer screen.  And if a gal ain't around, at least, befriend the idea of moderation.

I'd say most of us developed these unhealthy habits due to rather large doses of cynicism, despair, and lack of knowing who we are and why we're here.  If faith helps, go for it.  If philosophy or literature helps, go for that too.  Whatever gets you through at the end of the day, but it sure as heck ain't going to be found digging through an endless pit of pornography with our eye balls rolling around in the back of our heads.  Cheers.
I have to say this forum makes me feel so much better and keep the demons off my head.

Im 25 and had 4 clear encounters with girls that ended on total failure. after the 3rd encounter I decided to visit the Doctor, and everything looked well. So he prescribed me some pills just to jump start my erection.

On my last encounter the pill worked only at the beginning and I realized my problem was in my head and not in my ****. So after reading this posts and a few more articles. I hope I identified my problem. I will quit surfing to porn sites and jerking off a few weeks and see how it goes with the girls. I've been masturbating to porn for over 11 year and it seems like my problem is connected to this.

I'm planing to get my mind of this past encounters, try to become a healthier person, take some ginko-bilova and see where this takes me.

I believe the most important thing for all of us with this situation is to understand this is not a sickness and it can be solved.
Good luck for all of us.
I have a similar problem.  In my case I think it is from mostly masterbating to obtain sexual gratification, instead of having sex with a woman.  I sometimes watch porn and masterbate, but will also masterbate without watching porn, so it is a mix with me.  Watching porn will make me masterbate more frequently though.  Just last night I was with a woman in her bed, she was naked and ready for me and I could NOT get hard..  She tried stroking me, sucking my ****, kissing me all over etc. etc.  Nothing worked, after almost an hour we gave up..  I went home ashamed and didn't even have the urge to jerk off.  Then later I got angry at her!  Like it must have been her fault..  Then I stewed for a while and got on the computer and found this thread.

I know it has to be mental, and it has to be because I am so used to just stroking myself and not having intercourse I must have psychologically freaked out at the prospect of having to penetrate and pleasure a real living, breathing woman!  At the same time, I had only been on a couple dates with her and I don't know her true sexual background and probably did not fully trust that she was 100% free of STDs etc.  So, I know that was probably a contributor to my mental **** block.

Porn is DANGEROUS when viewed too often though, and if used as a crutch to get hard.  Especially today with all the hard core crazy **** they do in porn movies.  All the anal, ATMs, *** drinking (not swallowing, I mean drinking multiple loads), Bukakee, humiliation of women etc.  If you get addicted to the point where you need this guteral hard core "lets be as filthy dirty as we can possibly be" type of porn to get hard, then how do you expect to be able to get an erection with a "real life" woman??

I guess chronic masterbation, where you are masterbating only for long periods of time and not having sex with another person can cause problems.  Masterbating to porn frequently can cause problems.  Mixing these two things together is a double whammy!

And lastly if you have trouble attracting and/or finding girlfriends, like I do, that does not help the situation..  I masterbate out of necessity to keep from going nuts.  In my case, if I had an available steady girlfriend, I'd rather be having sex with her instead of my hand.  I don't have all the answers, but I hope I and the others on here can sort our problems out and get into a healthy sexual relationship with real women, in the real world.
Thank you to all of you for this message board.  I have spent the last two hours reviewing every single post as a I have many of the same problems expressed here:  too much porn, excessive masturbation, and inability to have real sex.  I think I will take the advice that many of you have recommended:  porn and masturbation abstinence and see how that works.  I met a real cutie over the weekend and was unable to make it work.  I am planning to see her again in a couple of months as she lives far away and I will let you know if the techniques have worked.

What also catches my attention is that the mere thought of having to give up porn to improve my sex life gets me sad an depressed, almost like I am breaking up with a girlfriend!  This really is an addiction!
Yea, thats how i felt when contemplating the fact that i may have to give up porn altoghter. For me i had seen it as a substitute girlfreind to serve me until i got a real one. pretty annoying when i currently see my prospects of getting a g/f as little.

Wud be great if u cud get back to us about how porn abstinence works!
You have all provided me with valuable insight into this issue. So, as a community member, I thank you.

Is there an answer? No alcohol, no porn, no masterbation... I have been alcohol free since Christmas, masturbation free since May fifth of 2010, and porn free since four O'clock today... Let's see how my journey goes.

I'm twenty one, and this issue causes me sever psychological trauma. Every time I cannot perform with a new girl I consider suicide. the thought of killing myself percolates in my mind until I'm almost pushed over the edge. The big question that comes to mind is "Why exist if you cannot do what you were born to do; have sex, procreate."... Ugh, this is killing me. I've started a new addiction though. It seems to be slowly taking over my life... An addiction to power.

Over colleagues, friends, family, women ( whom I've never really been terribly charming with), anyone and everyone. This has nearly the same satisfying affect as sex, but really it doesn't measure up. It only reminds me of the pain I feel when I can't satisfy the beautiful women that I now have "power" over... or more correctly have made attracted to me.

I feel sick with my life but moreover I truly feel that intercourse, atm, fellatio, and a wide variety of other activities are gifts. Even if I was to prematurely ejaculate with a girl the relief would be incredible. It would not be a failure. The girl would be disappointed, but no so much as when she playing with the lifeless, dried up husk of an emotionally unstable young man who walks, looks, and acts as though he could turn Ellen Degenerous Straight. FML!!!!!!!!!!
If the following happen to you, your most likely an addict.

1. You cannot get an erection just using your imagination, you need porn to get one.
2. When you quit porn you cannot stay away, same thing with masturbation. You look for more and more excuses to go back.

Let me explain. I had this problem over 14 months ago. I tried stopping, i got to two weeks several times. Things felt better but then i looked for excuses to start using porn again. That was a mistake. I lowered my MB frequency to maybe 4 times a week with porn, as opposed to about 15. I was then able to have intercourse, but it just didn't seem fun, when i was done i felt like i was still craving the porn. Thats when i knew this is a bigger problem that i thought. I failed many times and always went back, but eventually i got it, it took a while to break free, but i feel i have.

What people don't realize is that porn messes you up both physically and mentally. Physically it makes your penis less sensitive to other stimuli, making you not able to feel as much during sex. What happens if you can't feel anything during sex? you either can't get hard, or you get hard and go soft. Mentally thought it really messes you up, it messes with dopamine, which is responsible for addiction of alot of things (cocaine, coffee, smoking). When you ejaculate your dopamine goes down and you relase a chemical called prolactin (which is why were not that interested in sex again right after ejaculation). What your doing by ejaculating to porn is allowing the brain to reinforce those images. Thus after a while with continued use they become boring and escalation comes about. Same thing with drug users who start out small but then increase to heavier drugs.

It takes longer than just 10 days to get rid of this thing. This is what i did. First three weeks, no porn and no mb. Actualy the porn should be put away forever, don't look at it at all. first three weeks no mb. Next two weeks i only mb one time per week, using only my imagination. Now at most i MB 1-2 times per week. Things you will start to notice if your doing it right.....

Regular everyday women will turn you on like they use to. Secondly, the urge to MB won't be anywhere near as frequent. Trust me, i think you'll be amazed. Honestly i don't even feel the need to MB anymore. I do it on rare occation like i mentioned, but i can do without it, i hold the power over it, it doesn't hold it over me anymore. Thats why i truely believe this is an addiction, but after those first couple weeks, things will get easier. Just stick with everything. Its about changing your lifestyle to not even need MB. Sure you can do it, but again you hold the power.

You will see some people who claim porn addiction isn't real, then theres those experts who claim its very real. Trust me its real. Its no coincidence that more and more of these cases are popping up in the last 5 or so years, which by the way happens to be the time period where porn has become more and more easily accessible on the internet.
Just wanted to quickly add. Also pay attention to your morning erections. Now almost everytime i get 6-8 hrs of sleep i get them. Beforehand when i was MB so much i would only get them on rare occations. Another physical factor of MB to much is pain after you ejaculate, and weaker blood flow to the penis. Again look for that as a symptom, after a couple weeks look and see if your getting erections more spontaneously, that is a good sign.

Also exercise is good to increase blood flow all over.
I think pocketfours is on to something. Definitely a tough habit to kick and it's really messing with my self esteem/ self worth. I got fed up and disgusted with myself today, so maybe I can stay mad at myself long enough to resist porn this time. I am dating someone and having sex with her, but the minute she leaves I want my mistresses, this is f-ed up!
Wow! This is a great discussion, and I see I'm not the only one struggling with this. I've been addicted to porn, it was the first kind of sexual stimulation I had and one i found comfortable returning to. I've tried to quit several times in the past but have failed because i've gotten weak. tonight i make a vow though to resist that temptation and let sex happen for me naturally. and if my partner is not available and i have the need to pleasure myself, then i will do so, but rarely. i will try to let my sexual interactions be natural ones with my partner, not a computer.
I have had delayed ejaculation for my entire teen and adult life.
My wife (also 1st sex partner) thought it was great during teens and early twenties, but it starts to get old when you just cant have a quickie for pleasure's sake.
Sometimes after 1/2 hour or so I could *** inside her, but now we are older and have busier lives there is just no time for a real good satisfying sex session for us both.
Over the years we have tried many things and I think a hand job did it for me once, but a ******** has never finished me off. I have been close but she 'doesnt want any *** in her mouth' so my joy never quite gets over the line.
I thought I would try erotic massage with professional people and still have the same results. It is very difficult for me to achieve an orgasm without just the right type of stimulation. I get close, but cant quite get over the line.Of course the problem gets compounded as you worry about what the causes may be and that makes it that much harder to ***. It is a vicious cycle.
My wife after these years is not very interested in sex any more so I have had to take matters into my own hands at least once a day for as long as I can think. She will let me have 'sex' with her still but there is no emotion, effort  or commitment from her end. Might as well cut a hole in the mattress...
Of course the porn I have been watching just to relieve the tension includes fetishes that I would never consider trying in real life, just for something different than the normal 'fake' sex on most web sites. This is probably where a lot of other contributors to these posts start to blur the line between fantasy and reality and cannot *** any more with their partner.
I wish my wife would still have sex with me regularly. I cant believe there are men out there with a horny partner lying in bed ready to get busy who would rather spank on the bathroom tiles than appreciate their woman. I only play with myself because there are few choices when your partner would rather sit around talking about renovating the house or our finances or something than having a good shag. If she could get her sex drive back, I would be happy to rub uglies two or three times a day.
I find myself looking at adult dating sites for cheating lonely bored wives lately just to see if an illicit affair will spice up my sex life so I can feel like a normal sexual being again instead of a porn addicted weirdo. Of course this would not be good for my marriage if I got caught so I havent fulfilled any fantasies.... yet! Perhaps my wife will get a second sexual wind and we can be happy with our hour long sex sessions, instead of the continual morning, afternoon and evening rejections I have suffered over the years. She has not initiated sex in as long as I can remember.... ever I think.
I asked my wife a few weeks ago if she ever thinks about sex and her answer was an honest and straight 'no'. Then she went about her normal business of worrying about some distant relative's upcoming birthday or something without even really realising how badly that last comment affected me emotionally.

It looks like, after reading my own thoughts in print for the first time, there are things to remedy for both myself and my wife. I might keep a copy of this and make sure to address the issues we are having one by one and perhaps we will be happier in bed. Thanks for the opportunity to put this out there.
Ey all,

I'm not here to ask any help or give any solutions. Just want to share this current situation.
So, for a little introduction...
(This is very personal so jump to the point under the line, if not interested)

I got my first orgasm when I was 8 years old. It happened on the roof floor of the shed. There was this old car's back seat over there that had been there since I remember it. So I just laid on the seat and begun to think about the girl I liked in school. Then I begun to move my body back and forth, basically rubbing my thing against the chair (had no idea of the outcome then). As I had my clothes on, the friction wasn't that rough. And then I got it and felt really weird. I climbed down the ladder fast and running towards the bushes. I thought that I needed to pee and fast, and when I got behind the bush no urine came out. Next time I tried it again I realized that it was just some kind of other thing, nothing to do with peeing. After 3rd time I did it, well... since then, it has been pretty much an addiction. This habbit might also be the reason why I haven't got any girlfriend yet.
_________________

Okey and now to the point,
I've been masturbating for 12 years straight. About one time per day (sometimes twice, sometimes even more to experiment, sometimes 4 times a week) and mostly in these 12 years, I have used erotic pictures for it, in latest years also videos of women masturbating themselves doggy style. At very young age I didn't use anything, then there came the magazines, and then what internet has to offer. I always had good imagination about sex so I mostly used good erotic pictures of beautiful ladies, somewhat porn too, but preferred the pics. (pics have only women, but porn has these men ******* around on the screen, which somewhat bothers me).
Now I'm 20 years old and I feel like the nude material doesn't work on me that well anymore. I mean like about a month ago it was all going down the same routine. Doing my thing over a day. But then suddenly, I just wasn't using my material anymore. Listening to music, watching films, doing some physical training, dancing and stuff but staying away from my adult material.
I wasn't doing it for 2 weeks and then I just thought that something is wrong. To test my hardware I masturbated again, it was still working but it didn't feel right, it was like lack of pleasure and desire to masturbate. Now it has been a few days passed since that last time and I don't feel any need to go check out my material, or "update" it. Well but anyway, I guess I'll just pass time without masturbating then, waiting my hormones to come more active again. And eat some sunflower seeds heh.
Even if it has to be months without peeking into the material, I want to feel to get easily excited again, because I feel like I'm loosing it.
Based on my personal experience, i feel that excesive masturbation is a cause of ED. I have read a number of articles that say that there is no good proof for this or no study to prove this is true but based on my personal experience, i do believe that masturbation in excess causes ED. I even met urologist and also tried to boost up my testosterone levels by using some gels but nothing helped. Ultimately I am having to use a drug (viagra/levitra) etc everything i want to get good erection. During my early 20s i never believed this could be true and never paid attention to that but now i regret for what i did.
I am in the living hell of a sexless relationship.  I know he loves me and I adore him but he is not aroused by me at all anymore. Its been 5months and my self esteem is almost beyond repair.  Our history was based on very sensuous nature, a very free and open to explore adventure with sex allowed us to achieve an unbelievable intimacy and trust together. However, in time he began tohave functionality problems like  he would lose erections in the middle of sex or not be able to achieve orgasm.  

I would always be available to sex in any way he desired (even unpleasant to me ways) in order to try and peak his libido and compete with the constant stream of ever young, ever changing, always estastic, non bad smells or noises or body cramping females and men on the computer.

I found out about his porn addiction early on and watched with dispair as its use climbed and he started to lie about it.  I never condemned his use of it which confused me more the lies and subterfuge he started to take to cover his tracks.   I think the lying is more hurtful than the addiction.  I use to make excuses for his lying in that he was trying to be polite and not hurt me, but as I never complained about it why the frick? If he can look me in the eyes and make up complicated lies aobut the five hour porn session he did till dawn on weekends, what else is he lying about?

I can handle a sexless relationship if I felt he was sexless as well, but he is NOT.  He spends hours a day and sometimes half a day on weekends surfing more and more extreme porn and masturbating. Just my checking the sites afterwards in an attempt to divine what will please him, has blasted my own perceptions of sexuality to the point where I can not see a female anymore without imaging base sexual positions seen on porn sites.

I feel worthless, unattractive and despair I will lose him to the first female that he feels comfy with and can make him laugh as well as spark his sexuality again!

In all other ways our relationship is perfect, very loving and tender but I feel this change in sexuality will end us.  He has gone from a stallion in bed to treating me like a cherished mom.  I wonder if he had taken supplements or viagra to acheive that early sexuality with me.

this site has helped me in that i hear alot of the men say they are AFRAID to have sex and FAIL, so porn is an outlet for them. A safe place to vent stress, urges etc.  

for the record, i have never condemned him, attacked his prowess in bed, or shamed him. I always try to keep any discussions of this problem in calm non threatening terms.  its to the point where i have told him its not working out as i feel worse about myself than i did when i was alone.

guys, just stop the porn. if you think it not a big deal to you, try to go a week without it.  just try it.  I am sure you will freak out at how hard it is to do that.   in all honesty, do you really believe women like to do all that crap in those vids??? you really believe those actresses are having orgasms? it is not real, its hollywood and big big business.  and to be frank, alot of those girls you are watching are being abused or had been abused in their younger days.   That being said, same goes for the guys in those films.   and yes, i do believe that sex can be great and feel good. just keep it real for petes sake
I thought it would be a good idea to post about my progress and maybe others can share their experiences as well.  I posted on May 4 that I was giving up porn and masturbating.  Giving up porn has been easier than the masturbating, but the masturbating has not been excessive.  Once every three days, tops.  In addition, a girl threw herself towards me about a week and a half ago and we ended up having sex.

I have to say that I am still having problems getting it up and maintaining it.  Although I am able to climax with the masturbation, my penis is never completely hard, maybe 60 - to 80%, although it feels good when I ejaculate.  As for the sexual encounter, I had to fake an orgasm with her because halfway through I felt going limp.  Luckily for me I was wearing a condom so I was able to pull off the "faking".  Very frustrating because she had a smokin' body!

I went to the urologist and he diagnosed low testosterone count, but despite treatment and return to normal levels, still very little progress.  On my subsequent visit they found blood in my urine so now the next step is to get a cystoscopy which looks very painful but have been assured that it won't be.  I am also going through a separation from my wife right now although this is not related to my lack of performance.

In a nutshell, I have concluded that I am either still suffering from the after effects of porn addiction or there is simply too much anxiety in my life that is affecting my performance.  I am throwing everything I know of towards this problem:  visits to doctors and psychologists, meditation, natural remedies, viagra, you name it!  But maybe that in itself is causing anxiety.

I will keep you guys posted.  So frustrating!  Like many of you, never thought I would be dealing with this in my late 30's.  I miss having mind blowing sex!
Just some advice here. If you are a mb or porn addict or both in combination you need to give yourself a break. That means take at least 2-3 weeks off from porn, mb, everything. try not to even look at women, anything can set you back. Honestly i have had my best results when i did that. It was like night and day, but for some reason i went back into the porn and i felt that it was ok to do so and fell right back down.

think about it, if your so used to seeing a naked body, then a normal naked body just wont cut it. If your constanty fantasizing about women, or even mb to fantasy, in all likelyhood your still using themes that dealt with porn. Only difference is your just using a mental image.

in my experience you have to completely shut yourself down for 2-3 weeks. Don't think about sex, women or anything. Don't think about your porn induced ed. Thats what a couple ppl also did earlier in this thread and it worked for them. 14-20 days seems like alot, but is it really. I doubit it.

Basically anytime you see a women, or think a sexual thought, think of something else quick. Let your brain reset itself or your never fully get recovered. Once you do this it may be ok to MB periodically, but not to porn and no more than 2-3 times a week.

If your wondering why just a normal women with a really hot body doesn't seem to give you that "charge" of sexual excitement your used to getting, then your probably addicted, you just need time.
OK all you 20-somethings, here’s a new perspective. I’m 61, physically very fit, started jogging when I was 14, now I work-out 3-5x per week, 50 mile bike rides, ski, etc. Got into soft porn magazines in the 1950’s – that was all that was available, especially for a young kid. My early sexual relations with girls was fine except for pre-mature ejaculation; the opposite problem you guys are talking about. I was always very horny, and beat-off regularly.

Then in the ‘70’s the VCR made the scene along with hard-core movies. I got into that on an irregular basis – you had to go to the store and rent a video, then return it the next day; a hassle. I was married and I started having intermittent problems getting and maintaining an erection. I never made the connection. That marriage ended in failure – we blamed everything except the waning sexual relations, although I suspected hard-core porn had something to do with it.

Now I’m married again and very much in love. I’ve always dabbled a bit in the copious selection of internet porn, but about two years ago I found a web site I really liked and have visited it with increasing frequency until I was up to 4-6 hours per day (that’s a bad habit). Concurrently it’s become more and more difficult to get and maintain an erection, and when I do, I only reach orgasm about 1 out of 4 times. I started taking one of the ED meds which helped with erections, but not with orgasms. I kind of got the connection between porn and ED, but my urologist kept telling me, “use it or lose it” so I kept at it.

Lately sex with my wife has been very infrequent; I just couldn’t get it up any more. Then a week or so ago I read all your posts. I haven’t gone back to my web site and now, only a week later I’m back. My wife and I just had the greatest sex, and without any meds. I’m optimistic it will continue. Thanks to all of you for being so open and honest about this embarrassing topic. I strongly encourage all of you to stay away from internet porn and concentrate on finding or keeping someone you love.  And to all you doctors and counselors who don’t make the connection – GET A ******* CLUE !!
I think this whole things is more of a mental thing than a physical. Sure you can damage yourself physically by overmasturbating, and it is most definitely a symptom. However like with any addiction there is a change in brain chemistry. In order to overcome the addiction you have to be able to control yourself.

I said in an earlier post, my best results with this came within a two week period where i stopped everything. No porn, no mb, and even more importantly no sexual fantasy. I know that sounds stupid, but just because you stopped the porn and MB, doesn't mean that fantasizing about real women in porn scenes is ok, because it stunts your recovery.

What i suggest, take a couple weeks, try not to fantasize about sex at all. Remember somewhere along the lines sex became boring because you saw so much of it with P and MB. So your goal is to make things exciting again. It can work you just have to be dedicated.
I like all of the tid bits of advice.  BUT HAS ANYONE HERE COMPLETELY RECOVERED FROM THIS?  If so please comment with what you did.  As I mentioned before working out daily preferably in the morning helped me at one point.  But has anyone been able to sustain a full recovery from this?  That is being able to achieve 100% instantaneous erections.  I also have tried going to the urologist and getting blood levels tested with everything coming back just fine.  Also I have VERY rarely watched any PORN this YEAR. Down from multiple times weekly in previous years.  By rarely I mean maybe 7-9 times this year. Maybe MB once a month and sex 1-2 times a month. With only brief marginal, unsustainable improvements.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.