Multiple Sclerosis Community
Anyone here ALSO suffer with T-spine herniations along with their other...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Anyone here ALSO suffer with T-spine herniations along with their other diagnoses?

Hi to anyone,

I know this is an MS forum, buth some of the other forums here are not nearly as well put together as this one, very hit and miss, especially neck and back and I think orthopedic

I was going thru the testing to r/o MS, which is what landed me here in the first place.  Only 2mm gliosis in brain and several scattered T2 hyperintensities in periventricular white matter.  No spinal lesions.  Waiting for evoked potentials, believe SSEP will be abnormal due to my cord compression, but seems I dont have MS according to Neurologist.

Along with my cervical herniations and cord compression and stenosis in that area, unbelievable radicular pain in UE, I have several thoracic bulges pressing on thecal sac and T7/8 herniation with cord compression.

Suddently this T7/8 herniation is making itself known and becoming symptomatic, why I dont know, maybe because my neck has been so bad, i think its like a domino effect down the spine:o)  L5/S1 herniation too.

I feel as if i am being suffocated a bit. My sternum hurts and it feels like bricks on my chest on and off throughout the day.  It wraps around to one side and now it feels like it wraps around my whole thoracic region.  I am going to try to start PT this week.

I am not liking the Surgery word (Cervical i would think) from the neurologist who mentioned the other day about MIGHT needing probably because of the ever increasing bilateral leg weakness where I literally can barely walk.  Theres no way im having thoracic surgery.  Im, hyperreflexic on right side LE, paresthesias come and go in lower extremities.

Well as im writing this my neurologist just called, he works real late its 10:30 NY time, geez, anyway I was all set to get him to fax a script to start PT and he said "No I  dont want them to hurt your neck, I want to see what the flex/extension MRI says first".  He said the SSEP were abnormal upper and lower due to cord compression.  

Now im upset, i wanted to do PT, i am feeling that this thoracic herniation is getting worse, how i dont know.  He said got to PCP and make sure its nothing else, um cardiac, I dont think so, god. Its this herniation I know it.

But to get to the damn point as I get lost in this stuff.  This thoracic discomfort is well discomforting to me and I was wondering if there is anyone here that also in addition to there MS or whatever they are dx'd with have thoracic herniations or problems such as this that might have some suggestions as to what to do.  This feeling in my chest is quite disturbing and uneasy.

Anyone that could help and has any suggestions I appreciate, or if you want to PM me, greatly appreciate. Not many people with thoracic herniations to talk to:o(

thanks,
missy
Missy,

you write -
"I feel as if i am being suffocated a bit. My sternum hurts and it feels like bricks on my chest on and off throughout the day.  It wraps around to one side and now it feels like it wraps around my whole thoracic region. "  

and the first thing I think of is

"have you been seen by a cardiologist for a full work up?"  Those symptoms could also be heart related.  Women present heart symptoms totally different than most men - believe me because I had a heart attack last year.  

At least be sure it isn't heart related by having it checked by a docotr.  If it continues, do not hesitate to go to the ER.  

I have experience with the herniations - I hope someone else here can be of help.

my best,
Lulu
lulu,
I just got off the phone with my neurologist who said go to PCP and have checked out.  I just had an ekg, and echo and stress test with thallium like 2 years ago I believe, everything was cool.  I dont smoke, im not overweight, my cholesterol has always been good, i was a vegetarian for 13 years, but got low iron so recently started eating meat again to get my iron up quick.

It is the sterum that hurts, it was wrapping around the side of the herniation at T7/8 and now it is heaviness and around the whole T7/8 area, The PT said today that is usually what people feel with Thoracic herniations.

But I am going to go to my PCP and get it checked out just in case. No arm, jaw, chest pain at all, no change in heart rate or difficulty breathing, just heavy and uncomfortable.  

Lulu have you ever had a thoracic herniation with cord compression? or cervical with compression at all?

thanks for your concern, as someone who had a heart attack I know you know from whence? you speak.  Is that the expression? :o)

thanks as always,
mary
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time and the resultant pain. I have no experience or knowledge in spine herniations.  While reading your post, what came to mind is that your neurologist is giving you solid advice that you not start PT until the results of the additional MRI come in.  You need to be careful with yourself.

It's also good advice to make sure the chest pain you are experiencing is not cardiac related.  

Do you have pain medication?  A patient has an absolute right to be treated for pain.  Maybe a trip to the ER is in order if you're having chest pain to make sure it's not cardiac related.  

Take care.  
I recently had the same symptoms you are describing. I am currently in a flare. I had a stress echo done approximately 6 months ago due to shortness of breath and chest pain. All was clear. Cardio thought it might be due to MS. Everything else checked out okay.

Sorry you are in such discomfort. I would follow up your PCP tomorrow but I agree with you, it's probably thoracic issues.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
Ren
hey Karen,
Thanks for the concern, yes I have Percocet, zanaflex, klonopin. I dont have chest pain but a heavy feeling right in the middle of the sterum and when it first started I could touch the exact spot at the level of where the herniation is the md did it around my right rib cage.  Thoracic radiculopathy.  Now it just seems its my whole chest.  I have no real chest "pain" per say, but I will get it checked out anyway by PCP.

i have had so many MRI's in the last 7 month 7 to be exact, we know my herniations are pressing on the cord, I dont know why i have to have another one so we can say that when I flex and extend my head I further compress my cord, so if that is the case so what?  I never flex and extend again my head again?, how does this effect my tx???  I dont know.

thanks for caring, ur sweet.
mary
Have you been here:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Thoracic-Disk-Herniation/show/295455

Google thoracic spine herniations.  The listing from eMedicine has good info.
"When a herniated disc compromises thoracic nerve roots, the patient may present with the symptoms listed above as well as radicular pain. This pain may be intermittent or constant and is usually described as electric, burning, or shooting in nature. The distribution is often bandlike, spanning the anterior chest wall. The T10 dermatomal region is most often described as the focus of pain, irrespective of the level involved. When cord compression and myelopathy are present, pain can be in any dermatome distal to the site of compression."

Get some pain medication if you need it.  Wishing you the best.  
Ren, Karen and Lulu,

thank you for responding, im really kinda bummed out about things and I really appreciate the concern, advice and kind words.  I will check out the website too, an double check with PCP too,  thanks so much again,

mary
Hi.  I have TM, with small lesions in my cervical spine.  They have caused numbness and tingling in my arms and legs.

Last month I had a new place between my shoulder blades, which prompted a new spinal MRI.  It showed no thoracic and no new c-spine lesions, but I have a herniation in my thoracic, same place as you.  It may have been there for years and just didn't show up in my one prior t-spine MRI.

I can't really say if my new slight symptom was because of the disc or because of my old lesions.  It hasn't caused me any great pain, but I've had a hard time sitting up and standing straight probably all my life.  I was a terrible sloucher as a teenager, part of that invisible, no self-esteem personality type thing.

I have bladder and bowel issues, and these have come up since the diagnosis of the TM.  Attributable to the cervical lesions, or to the newly-discovered bulging disc?  Who knows?

Anyway, that got me into physical therapy, and by strengthening and stretching the muscles around my neck and shoulders, I have much better posture, and much better stamina.  This is after just six visits.
hi bananas,

TM must have been awful, from what I have heard of it!

Yes im trying to get into PT but I have to have one more MRI cervical flex/extension.  the herniation thing is a bit more complicated for me as I have some that are compressing my spinal cord including the thoracic one.  I now have cervical myeopathy from them and my legs get spastic and extremely weak and I cant walk.  I am trying to avoid surgery.  Lots of people have herniations and they generally dont cause a problem, its only when they compress nerve roots, or your spinal cord that it becomes a problem and/or if you have stenosis.

So i hope to start soon and maybe will help, but once you get myelopathy it becomes like another ball game.

thanks for the input
oops! I meant to write I have NO experience with herniations and I am thankful for that.

good luck,
Lulu
LuLu

OOPS!  Dont want to throw anymore into the mix for you!

thanks,
missy