Botox Bladder information
Hi everyone,

I had the botox injections 2 weeks ago and I can't beleive the results.  I barely have to use pads anymore after more than 10 yrs of pads what a miracle!  my doc was nervous but told he did not have a choice.  Now no meds, no night time diaper stuff, and i have regular bathroom trips and know when i need to know.  not just standing up everytime or nervous to anything to havew to know where every bathroom is!

Julie
I'm so glad the Botox is working good for you!  What a nice relief for you.  It must be so nice to not have to use the pads all the time.  

Did they say it would last about 3 months or so, then you have to go back again?  I have a lot of questions....  Did you have a lot of bladder spasms and spasticity?  Was the injection inside or outside?  I have to go to PT that I just quit going to a couple of wks ago because it wasn't working.  For the PT, she has to work internally and she tells me that the muscles around my urethra are always spasming like crazy.  

Congratulations again,
Kelly      
Finally someone who has first hand experience with this one!  I asked my urogyno the last time I was in about this and she was going to check with a peer who is using botox for the bladder.  She walked about the incredible number of injections that need to be made int o the wall of the bladder for it to work.  I'm thinking I heard it should last about 6 months, is that what you were told?

Please keep us posted as to how you do with this over the long run,

be well, L
Hi Kelly,

I had extreme bladder spasems in my opinion, i took 2 detrol, 2 oxybutin, and 2 sanctura a day.  no moisture anywhere, but still when i stood up another pad was used.  so my uroligist had never done this but i told him he didn't have a choice...lol
So it was full outpatient in hosiptol with complete knock me out.  200 units of botox.  cystoscope then followed by the needle with botox, i was completly out so never felt it and when I woke up absolutely did not feel any discomfort at all.  yeah i was little goofy feeling but that passed and i was fine.  
The next day there was a little tightness feeling down there but no pain at all.  Ending of all meds was so weird, that was my breakfast...lol  no meds and i go through maybe 3-4 pads compared  to 1/2 a package of 36 in a day.  omg to be able to wear regular panties with regular pad to bed is amazing.  $$$ so this is saved big time!  and I actually have the urges to go to the bathroom and can get there before it happens..wow factor for me after 13 years!
but it lasts about 8 months but i think that might be also on the person also. my only concern was the other areas down there because that works fine and i was worried there might be some change but there wasn't. boyfriend made sure.:))  lol

get it done!!  it works!!  lol

I was my dr's first and when i saw him last Wednesday he was very happy it worked.  he is doing another one next week on a gentleman when has spinal injury.

Julie

Yes, you have a very encouraging experience with the Botox for your bladder.  I hope it continues for a long time.  It sounds like the surgery was definitely worth it.  And I'm glad the Botox didn't change the functioning of your other areas.  I also know someone that's going to try the injections in her neck muscles for her dystonia.  
I have other acquaintances who've had this procedure done, and they're thrilled!  Thanks for sounding off here!

I've only just started using pads, and not every day, though I should probably use one "just in case".  It's nice to know there are good treatments out there.
Wow!  I will definitely be asking about this next time I'm in to see my doctor.  
Wow! I'm excited for you!

I do not believe we've met, but I sure am happy for you. Do you mind I ask how long you had been having problems, and what you tried 1st? We have so many who have suffered w/this problem for so very long..

-shell
Hi Shell,

I am new on this blog stuff.  But this september will be my 20 year anniversary for MS.  diagnosed in 93 and bladder issues basically started in 96-97 but in the last 5 years has gotten really bad up to 6-7 pills a day and begged my uro for a cork. then botox came around 10 months ago and i was desperate...lol  like i told him, he was doing it period!  but med first i really don't remember because i took them for sooo long.  but NONE now for 2 1/2 weeks!  woohoo!!

Julie