Multiple Sclerosis Community
Does anyone else have foot pain?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Does anyone else have foot pain?

OMG,.... my feet (the bottoms) hurt SO BAD! It's like walking on rocks or something. OWE! Anyway, I changed my shoes and everything I can think of but nothing helps. Even if I get off my feet, they still tingle. My right leg is being spastic right now too so I'm wondering if this could be related to the other neuro symptoms or likely not... Any ideas? I'm gonna call my PCP later this week and get in. My legs feel so tired and heavy if I sit and pump my feet or something to try and relieve the pain. Then my legs burn... Whats going on? It feels like I ran a marathon barefoot! Please help! any advice is welcome.

cz
I think I can relate.  I described the feeling in my feet as walking on marbles.  It was bad when it first started, then kind of evolved to a less noticeable feeling, more like a tighness across the arches of my feet as opposed that 'lumpy' feeling.  For me, it was not pain so much a just a very disturbing sensation.  I know what you mean about pumping your feet to get relief, as applying pressure seems to help.  When it was at its worst in my left foot, I used an Ace bandage and that helped a lot, just to distract me from the weird sensations.  I do not have that burning sensation in my legs that you are having, however I do have a constant burning in my left hand and arm.

This sensory stuff in my feet started in March with the onset of my last relapse.  It has lingered a long time but I noticed this week that my right foot feels pretty much normal now, and it is now very mild in my left foot.  The arm/hand stuff persists but I do think it's a bit better than a month ago.

I have been taking Neurontin since Feb for the parasthesias in my hand and arm; I am now up to 500mg, 3x per day.  I'm not sure whether the Neurontin has helped with my feet, or if they would have gotten better anyway as this last relapse resolves.

Are you taking anything already for nerve pain?  If not, it may be helpful.  Hopefully your PCP has some ideas.

db

No, I'm not on any meds at all.  I hope the PCP can help. Maybe I am in a flare but a little one. I've been really tired, my legs ache, my right arm is weak, very clumbsy right now too. I know there is something else but I cant remember.... Oh well.  I guess I'll write it down when I do remember :).  Ok, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I hate this feeling!  OH YA!! I keep getting really dizzy off and on... Thats it! Ok, now I'll go. Thank you!

cz
i have the pain and burning in my feet and the toes feel a little numb ...and we were at my daughters yesterday and i was trying to help to clean up and i kept spilling things my daughter finally told me to go sit down:)....and today my back and legs hurt a lot...hope you feel better....deb
Yes, I have a lot of foot pain on the bottoms of my feet too.  It is worse when I get up from sitting or lying down.  Then other times my feet get stiff and numb, but my right is always worse than the left.  Also I have a lot of  toe numbness and shocking pain in my toes;  Shocking pain in my right heel too.

My dx. is Fibromyalgia - but I really think there's something else going on.  I'm looking forward to my one month check-up with my primary on Wed. and hope we can do something about the foot pain.  

I'll let you know if I get any answers regarding the foot pain!

Julia

My husband has this and I can actually feel the rocks or marble type things on the soles of his feet.  They are spasms in his case and the only thing that helps is muscle relaxants and rubbing a massager on his feet or calves or lower back.

Elaine
I have same problem cz . i went to podiatry its called foot drop. (like walking on glass with curled under toes) you should get feet  looked at  if you can, I hope you feel better soon
CJ
Baclofen has really helped this issue for me.  I was wearing sandals for a few weeks this winter because it was the only thing that didn't make it worse.  I had a hard time explaining it.  It was like my brain just couldn't stop thinking about my feet.  Shoes were too much sensation on them.  I think the analogy of running a marathon barefoot is a good one.

I was on neurontin and lyrica (more for my leg pain than the feet) but the baclofen is the thing that has helped both the feet and the leg.  Well, to be fair, monthly steroids are probably helping too:)
Thank you all. Today my right hand started getting numb so I think it's related somehow to my "probable MS" but no diagnosis of course.  Well, If I ever get in to the PCP I'll let you know what he thinks.... I just want it to stop! Thanks.

cz
Probably... maybe... who knows!  I recommend wrapping your foot with an Ace bandage.  When my feet were hurting so bad (probably spasticity) I used stretch ankle wraps, and it really helped.
Sorry about your feet. Foot pain was actually my very first sx. I remember exactly where I was when in happened too. I was substitute teaching in my daughter's school. By the end of the day I could barely walk. I had such excruciating feet pain.

That was the start of my five year dx journey. In the beginning I really thought it was some sort of arthritis or something, but soon in became obvious it was neurological. I did go to a foot doctor early on who told me I had flat feet and that orthotics might help. I had them made and it wasn't long after that my sx quit. I tend to think now it was just a coincidence though as I've had many different attacks affecting my feet over the years even with the orthotics.

I've had different kinds of feet pain over the years too. One type I have feels as though I'm walking on marshmallows. My feet get tingly, numb, and feel squishy. LOL..hard to explain. Then, I have the severe feet pain. Sometimes I just have minor tingling.

Anyway, just wanted  you to know you weren't alone.
You made me smile.... marshmallow feet sound much better :) i'd rather have that.  I havent called the Dr yet cuz there's nothing they can do and the numbness in my hand went away but today my ribcage is trying to start so nothing is sticking but the feet.  I do have flat feet and do use orthotics... no help either.  Ok, I'll call tomorrow and see if they have any openings just to at least get it on record. theres nothing to see or "measure" so they can't help i'm sure. I dont want more steroids thats for sure!  

Ok, ttyl and thanks again :) Its nice to know your not alone. You guys are all SO WONDERFUL!

cz
Something else, I'm on Neurontin also. I do think it helps me feet, in addition to my other sx. I can always tell when it's time for another dose.

You might try asking about Neurontin or something similar.

Good luck!
I have all the same symptoms and got the "probably MS" diagnosis. Im on Neurontin, amitriptalene, and percocet for break thru pain. Its all been very frustrating. In addition to all the pain and total exhaustion I had Optic neuritus in my left eye and the sight still has not completely returned. As yucky as the doses of steroids made me feel it also made the pain go away. I know it doesnt make sense, but none of it has.
If your heels and arches are in extreme pain and it's worse when you stand up from laying or sitting down it may also be plantar faciaitis. (spelling??) it is extremely painful. I have this. My fachia tendon was ripping from the heel and and when I would rest it would start to heal and then when you step again they rip again. It also causes bone spurring in the heels. I had to have multiple cordizone shots in my heels and wear inserts. If you don't want to do this the best thing you can do is never ever go barefoot and buy some New Balance shoes in the 1220 series. They aren't the most attractive shoes but they really help andy doctor told me this is the only shoe I should ever wear.
Heh - foot pain.  Wow.  I didn't realize this could be from MS.  I have a lot to learn.  Foot pain can be excrutiating at times, and I have had it for years.  Fortunately does not happen often.  I am on Neurontin, but only at night.  I suspect I will be on more more often soon.  It does help enough to let me get enough rest.  It would be nice to have more respite during the day.
And New Balance shoes I have recommended to the elderly for years - who knew?  I will get some now.  Have been buying Dr. Scholls shoes for years.
My feet are on fire.  My doctors prescribed an oral medication.  It helped but I gained weight.  Then one of them suggested a topical.  Wow!  I used it almost daily the first month it was like it turned off the pain.  I now use it as needed.  It is a combination of meds made by a Compound Pharmastist. It is pricey if one doesn't have insurance. But it's worth it.  Thank God I have insurance.
Hi Julia,

Your post is kind of old. I was wondering if you have been diagnosed with anything else than Fibromyalgia. I feel exactly the same way you do. I was also diagnosed with same condition but I feel I have something else. Maybe MS or arthritis don't know. I'm taking Lyrica but it really doesn't help. I can't bare the pain anymore, I can hardly make it through the day and I'm even scare to lose my job.

Thank You and I hope you are doing better