Multiple Sclerosis Community
Does anyone have HIP STIFFNESS AND PAIN?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Good morning all,

I started noticing yesterday out of the blue a slight problem with my right hip and like my leg was going to give out.

This morning it is stiff and very painful to walk.  I did not have any injury to it at all.  

The pain radiates also posterior from hip, buttock and down my thigh.  I had really bad cramping in my right leg all day yesterday.

If anyone has had anything similar, please let me know...

terri
Mornin' Terri.  Can you describe where the pain and cramping is in a little more detail?  People describe the hip as a wide area.  When a problem is with the actual hip joint (as in arthritis) the pain is usually felt in the groin.  The same type of problem in the bones that project from the lumbar vertebrae can cause pain in the buttock and thigh.

Of course the entire hip/pelvic girdle and thigh area is covered in layers of strong muscle.  I used to wonder why some PTs would tell me my hamstrings were tight and others would say they were fine.  Now I find out what I thought was periodic arthritic stiffness is actually spasticity in those muscles.  It helps most to warm them up a little (easy to do right now!) and give them a  s-l-o-w  g-e-n-t-l-e  s-t-r-e-t-c-h.  I've been able to avoid using any muscle relaxing drugs for the moment.

If you have been in the pool I'm also wondering if you might have pulled something or over worked a muscle without realizing it.  Swimming and/or water walking is excellent exercise and we tend to underestimate how much the water resistance adds to a workout.

Maybe today you should leave the cleaning part of the pool to your 'cabana boy' so you can rest, relax and stretch.  Maybe you can also convince him to bring you a potassium packed kiwi paired with a tall bottle of chilled water.

Just a few random thoughts.
Have a great day.
Mary
Hip flexors?  I know for me at 56 I have all sorts of aches and pains I would like to blame on the MS, but are certainly more age/arthritis/useage related.  

The stiffness out of the blue does seem to be a common occurance and is often mention here.  

I'm sorry you are in pain and that I can be of no further help.

Stay cool up north - we're cooking in SW Ohio. That mention of heat makes me wonder --- With the mention of cramping, is your potassium level ok and are you drinking lots of fluid?  That could cause some serious muscle reactions with the extreme heat we have these days.

feel better,
Lulu
Thanks, Lulu for your quick reply.

I really need to start drinking some fluids today... Maybe it is my potassium, as well.  I was out in the heat yesterday cleaning out the pool, and I should be drinking some more water.

I particularly noticed it when I climbed the ladder to get into my pool.  It felt as if it were going to give out.  Then, I had instant cramping when I stepped into the water.  Strange.

I know what you mean about age.  I am 48 and feel like I'm falling apart...LOL  

I was concerned because of hip flexors, as I have read.  I am just going to keep an eye on it.  Maybe I just did something and did not know it.

You stay cool too.  I did not realize you were in southern Ohio.  Glad to know you are a Buckeye.....

I hope you are feeling okay after your treatments you had.  I have been keeping an eye on you, making sure you are doing okay....

terri
There are a whole lot of Buckeyes here - we seem to be a hot spot - or at least attracting them to the MedHelp forum!  

Pump up the liquids and see if that gives you some relief - and spend some extra time in that pool.

-L

Just a few random thoughts.
Have a great day.
Mary
Hi Mary,

I hope you've been staying out of the heat.

I started noticing this yesterday when I was stepping down into the pool from the ladder.  It just felt like it was going to give out with a little pain in the hip joint, which radiates down posterior buttock into posterior thigh.  

Maybe, I did exacerbate a muscle from swimming or something, not being that active anymore.  Maybe this aggravated spasticity in the hip.  Of course, wouldn't you know all my symptoms are mainly right-sided....LOL

Thanks, Mary, for the info.  Stay cool!

terri
Hi Terri,

Yes, I am plagued by stiffness and pain.  I feel it in my lower back, but I do have spinal problems which may contribute to it; doctors can not say how much is MS related or not.

The one area that is clearly MS related is the pain and stiffness in my legs.  They feel like there is a tight band around them, usually vfery stiff and painful, making it difficult to maintain balance and walk.  It does not matter how hot/cold/humid/wet it is. it isI have been experiencing this for years, however, as Lulu said, some of it may also be the "normal" consequences of age.

Frank
Hello.  I have been having hip pains on my outter right hip when I take a step or sit down.  It's been doing it for 2 days now.  I'm only 26, have been tested for RA, since so many people in my family have it and when I went in almost 2 months ago with these symptoms my doctor initially thought it was RA.  

I don't know if it is related to this or if it is something that I did while walking around or what not.  I'm just going to bring it up to my neuro when I see him in 2 weeks.

Good luck and I hope you can find something to help with the pain soon.

Victoria
Hi all,

Funny thing, my hip pain lasted 2 days and then pain started with pain in right rib area.  It must be spasticity of some sort.  

Then last night, I had stomach issues after going out to eat.  Today, I have just felt fatigued all day until late afternoon.

terri
YES!  I have alot of hip flexor and extensor pain!  Actually, I wound up writhing in HORRIBLE pain for 3 weeks about 4 years ago.  Couldn't sit up, couldn't lie on my back even with pillows under my knees.  Even pain pills didn't help me.  Then, I didn't know I have MS.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  My Dr. gives me Baclofen to try to relieve the spasms.