HELP - opinion please!
Exactly 15 days ago I woke up with half of my face number. The right side, from almost the crown of my scalp to my top lip (including  half of my tongue). My sense of taste is affected. This is my only symptom. One doctor felt confident it was Bell's; even though there doesn't appear to be much (if any) weakness in the muscles. It seems to be mostly sensory; feeling a little like Novacaine or stiff. A second doctor felt we shouldn't rule out MS. Thoughts?
as I was reading your fist line, I immediately thought of Bells Palsy, which is usually transient and will normally improve with time.  I hope that is all it is.  

Did your doctor recommend perhaps doing an MRI as part of your exam?
Let us know your questions - we're happy to help, but keep in mind we aren't doctors here, just peoplewith lots of experience with MS.

My doctor suggested we wait it out before seeing a Neuro or MRI. I have a newborn who likes to throw his head backwards and had hit me right under the eye just a few days prior. Doc thought it might have caused swelling also. On top of all of this I had a terrible cold with some ear trouble so she is currently treating me for infection. (Feels it might be viral also). In the almost 3 weeks, would i have experienced other symptoms if this were MS?

Right now it's just numbness and anxiety about it all. :)

Thanks for your reply!!
Also, it does seem to be improving a little - I am getting back my sense of taste at least. :)
And is it sudden with MS? (As in you wake up one more with the numbness) or is it more gradual?
The anxiety is only normal - you have these weird symptoms and a new baby, both of which can cause extra stress.

The trauma idea would fit too....
With MS there is no certain pattern, but it tends to be more sudden than gradual from my understanding.

good luck and be sure to come back if you have more questions.
Laura
I had 10 cases of "bells palsy" in 18 months before i had all the tests done over and over again before dxs with MS.  Hope that is not the case with you.
Was your only symptom was numbness on one side of your face?

Thanks for your honesty.
How long would the numbness last each time? 10 cases in 18 months?! Is it better now that you're being treated properly for it?
the symptoms i had at that time was total numbness on the right side of my face.  i could not close my eye, taste anything, or show any facial expressions on that side.  About six months before that i was very dizzy so much that i was banging into the walls.  had tests done nothing showed up and it went away, that lasted for a week.  i still have some movement problems with the right side of my face and the doctor is not sure if that will every get better or not. since starting treatment i have had no more problems so to me its working!!
Thanks so much for the info. This would be my first and only symptom although with all of the anxiety I am now having I am starting to try to convince myself I have other symptoms. (ARG! Sometimes we let our fears and thoughts get the best of us!)

Did your numbness in your face last a long time or was it like the dizziness and just came and went. Sorry that there are still motor issues. :( I am lucky in that mine is only sensory - no weakness whatsoever in my movements as of yet.

Still hoping that it is just an isolated minor case of Bell's and nothing more. Or as I mentioned earlier, my baby hitting me right under the eye with his head almost giving me a black eye! (Haha)

Best of luck with your treatment! Glad that things seem to be working!
I'd question the Bell's palsy diagnosis if your symptoms have been predominantly sensory.  It's the facial nerve (cranial nerve VII) that causes symptoms in Bell's.  Since CN-VII functions primarily as a motor nerve the symptoms of Bell's palsy involve weakness and/or paralysis more than numbness and tingling.  (One notable exception is decreased taste.)

Sensory symptoms are more likely to originate in a problem with the trigeminal nerve (CN-V).  Two specific 'zones' cover the area you described from your crown to your upper lip.

The wait and see approach actually sounds like a good one to me, especially since you are dealing with recent histories of trauma AND infection.  It would seem there's no lack of reasonable suspects to pin these symptoms on.  

There's no need to rush to an MS conclusion.  Take care of the most likely suspects first, enjoy the holidays with your family and think about wearing a helmet (!) around the littlest guy ;)
Bell's palsy symptoms paired with vertigo are associated with something called Ramsey Hunt syndrome.  It is a condition conclusively associated with varicella zoster virus.  It also appears to be more common among women with autoimmune disease.
Thanks so much for your added reply! I really appreciate it.

Today, at day 19 it is almost completely gone. Whether it will return only time will tell. I will still request the brain MRI when my doc checks in with me on Wednesday as not worrying about it is easier said than done :)

Thanks everyone for the support.