Multiple Sclerosis Community
Is foot pain MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Is foot pain MS?

Before I was diagnosed, I noticed my feet going numb and hurting when I exercised.  Now they are hurting other times.  When I am up I don't notice it real bad but after I have been sitting and then walk, I feel it - especially in the evening.  I am just wondering if it's really MS or something a podiatrist could help with.  I have bought lots of shoes to help with no avail!  
There are several people in our swim group who talk abut the pain they have in their feet and the problems with the toes curling in painful ways.  Some folks here have talked about the foot pain when walking.

Hopefully someone will stop throug here and share their personal experience with you.

Lulu
Yes, foot pain can be a symptom of MS. I have had several areas of both feet that hurt, go numb, tingle, feel like I"m walking on rocks"

Sorry about your pain. Stretching the foot by putting a towel at the bottom of your foot and gently pull towards your body.

I have also used ice too. Both methods work to some extent. YOu just need to find what works for you...warm water, cold water,etc.

Ren
Hi there, I've had pain at the bottom of my feet like walking on little rocks.  I also get spasm type pain on the top part of my feet.  

I just learn to live with this cause there isn't much I can do about it.. I hope you feel better soon.
wobbly
I too have foot pain. Like Ren and Wobbly, it feels like walking on rocks, or pebbles, or stones, depending on the day. I also get pain along the tendon of my big toe, and stretching does help but doesn't totally fix it.

Shoes tend to drive me nutz and I change pairs about 5 times a day. Like the others, I have just learned to live with it, using hot, cold packs and a tens units occasionally too. Not comfortable at all, but one of the myriad MS symptoms.

Hang in there. If you find a creative solution, jen, please share it with us.
Jessica
Thanks for all the advice :)  I am hoping that this will not stick around.  My symptoms have been mild since being diagnosed last April.  To jump to this permanently would be devastating as I am only 38.  My worst fear is not being able to walk, UGH!  But I will remain possitive and try some of your lovely suggestions, I really appreciate them.

Jeny
It's possible that your foot pain is MS related but it's also possible it's not.  This is the challenge we all face with any chronic disease. Obviously it possible to have more than one thing going on in our bodies especially as we age.

Why don't you discuss with your dr/neuro and see what they say.  Perhaps a podiatrist is in order.  Shoe inserts helped me tremendously with my on/off foot pain.

It just doesn't hurt to ask.

Julie
Thanks Julie.  I have been thinking about making an appt with a podiatrist but wasnt sure if they dealt with people with MS.  It's worth a try.  I would hate to pass something off as MS and it not be!  

Jeny
I don't have foot pain, but when I get going with exercise, I get numbness (mostly in my L foot) and spasms (bilaterally) in my arches or individual toes, or along the tibial nerve to the top of my foot.

Yeah, I'd see your podiatrist, but I'd see your neuro, too.
The pain that I have just started to happen in the last couple of week's It feel's like the bottom of my foot separate's from my toes.Only when I walk on it. It's  like I broke my foot in a straight line that goes from the little toe to the big tow. I know this sound's confusing, but MS to me is confusing. Does anyone have the same feeling
I too have foot pain. I was recently diagnosed with MS after years of going to my neuro and complaining of numbness and tingling on my left side that eventually turned out to be pain on the left side. My foot pain extends out into the toes and is quite severe. Walking on it is always more difficult when I first stand up. My doctor has me on Gabapentin for pain (and Copaxone shots) and it does a pretty good job for me. I am so sorry you are experiencing this but you are not alone.
I would go to a doctor and ask about this.I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis when I was 28(understand the only a certain age thing)I also  have fallen arches and I pronate inwardly.I suffered for many years before I got the right footwear...but needed specially made orthotics(helped soooo much!Unfortunately,I got diagnosed with ms at 35,and always feels like I am walking on rocks...got some tingling and burning with this pain(ms type symtoms (symptoms)...in my hands too)I wonder if having both ms,and feet problems is just working against me.But serioudly, get it checked, because if it is something orthotics can relieve, you will never regret it.I need to go and get some more made,because I lost mine in a house fire,and now walking these days is torture!!!Even AFTER I get off my feet they hurt and burn for hours after I take a walk ,or do my housework!All the best.I hope this was helpful.