Multiple Sclerosis Community
Looking for a wheelchair. Any advice?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Looking for a wheelchair. Any advice?

Well, I a biting the bullet and going to start looking at wheelchairs.
After this last flair and on the advice of the PT, I am realizing that I just can't move around independently like I use to.

I also think the crutches are messing with my hips.
They are hurting and my lower back which was never an issue before.

So, to my question.  I need a chair I can take in and out of the car myself and that folds.
Unfortunately, Medicaid won't pay for a chair because I can still walk with crutches according to my PT.
She said that if I still have some mobility, they won't pay.

Any advice on websites or alternatives to finding something that won't cost  $1000.00.
The only thing I want is one with big wheels and light.

I think those are the most expensive.

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all of your advice as usual.

In the meantime i am going to look at resources online that may offer help with payment.
I think the MS Societyneed a prescription from the doctor to help pay.

Thanks,

Kerri
I got my husband's at a thrift shop, sometimes churches know people who have one.  Mine was given to me by a family who's user passed away.
Put the word out that you are looking for one.
If the advice from PT was that you need a wheelchair, then why did PT fail to write or document that you are a risk to fall, risk to injury, etc that crutches are NOT for you? I don't get the conflicting messages here.  

You are able to walk with the crutches (via your words by PT) yet they advise you to get a wheelchair?  Doesn't make sense really.  How about those wheeled walkers with the seat?  Has breaks and everything and helps you to keep your alignment better.  Using those crutches you have enforces you to use inappropriate muscles to sustain balance and posture placing unnecessary strain on them.  It's no wonder you have back pain.  
I'd do what Sarah says if you feel you need one at this point (church, thrift store).  

Perhaps by the time you find one, your condition perhaps will change for the better?  MS is fickle!

Good luck

Lisa
I'm so sorry to hear you have to be in a wheelchair. I think I found something that could help you, though.

When my grandpa broke his hip, we had to install a stair-lift in his house (they live in a Victorian--it was a trip.) Those two lifts were expensive, and we needed a cheep wheelchair for him. He couldn't walk well not just because of the surgery to fix his hip, but because he's almost 90. We used this site:

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-category-products.asp?category_id=331

They have many different styles, sizes, weights--everything you need. You can order right on the website and get a nice wheelchair for  under $200. They work wonderful and are very durable.

If you don't want to shop online, you can try Walgreens or Aurora Pharmacy. They have some nice chairs for under $200, as well.

I hope this helps! Feel better soon!

~ Em
Sarah: Thanks for the advice.  I will look into that.
Lisa:  thanks.
Em:  I appreciate the info.  I will check it out.

Thanks,
Kerri
You might want to check with GoodWill. Here they have a lending medical equipment program. Wheelchairs, walkers and such. You have to have a medical need. Not sure if you need note from Dr or pt. But it is free for you to use as long as needed. Then you return it to them. It depends on what they get donated so might not have what you need.