Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI films or cd disk---what is normal

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI films or cd disk---what is normal

I went to my new neurologist a month or so ago.  I brought her a disk of the extensive MRI's that were done in late February.  She told me she was unable to read the them becuase they were poor quality and blurry.  She asked me "did you move"----why does everything have to be the fault of the patient?

Anyway, she asked me to get the actual films (hard copy).  I called the hospital where they were done and was told they don't do films now only only record on disk things.  

Is this normal?  Are MRI's only on disk now?

thanks Lois
Hi There

In the UK your MRI results goes straight onto the hospital system computer, so all drs etc can see them or access them.

Jan xx
I've been told the same.  The last 4 MRI's i've had were only available on CD's (I believe they can do it but not sure why they don't.  Perhaps it's a time/cost issue).  And as an aside, I always have whatever doctor I am seeing burn a copy if they need to have it for their records.  That way I always have a copy if I see a new doc or if I want to look at them myself.  

And please Lois, stop moving around already!!!!!! :)

Frank
I don't think films would improve anything anyway - the quality would be the same, whether it's on disk or on film.

You might ask her if she was able to view the CD - I wonder if she's technologically handicapped.
ha ha

they told me 1st MRI was FUZZY whatever that means xx

They asked if i moved but i never moved a muscle just incase i had to have it done again

jan xx
Lois,

My CD of my MRIs were not readable because the facility where they were done uses an off-the wall computer program to read the films. I honestly believe it's so they continue to have the upper hand. However...the radiology staff bent over backwards to print me a hard copy at no charge.

To my knowledge, if they can be read on the CD then they can be printed.
The advantage of the disc is the different features it has such as magnification of a particular area and comparison of a particular portion on all films.
Ren
Lois,
My MRI images were available in the hospital computer system. My neuro looked at the images with me the same day I had the MRI done. I also requested a CD copy of the MRI, which the lab burned for me before I left.

I can't imagine anyone moved enough where no images were able to be read. Did you get a copy of the radiologists report? Contact the lab that did the MRI and request that, see what it says. My report stated that the radiologist saw some very subtle lesions in my brain, but in going over the images with my neuro they were so subtle that we couldn't see them! So, the radiologist saw them...but we could not therefore my MRI was considered normal.
~Jess
Thanks everyone!  I didn't realize that is a common thing now days.  It sounds like if some of the film are blurry when viewed on a small screen they will be blurry on a larger screen.  I don't know if she is technologically challenged or not, she said she was going to take it home to see if she could get it to magnify better.

I have a sinking feeling that she didn't take them home, I think she is a good doctor but like most doctors gets side tracked by more important things.  It worries me that she was relying on the radiologist's report during our first meeting.  I just don't accept that the periventricular bilateral white matter are ischemia.  

Honestly, it really frustrates me that something that important are brushed off that easity.

Anyway,  I hope that at some point they will be redone and read thoroughly.

I'm not moving anymore:-)

Thanks guys

Lois
My imaging places gives me both and I take both to appointments.
I had a mri done for brain scan and c spine, and when i asked for the report they said the doctor that ordered them read his own mri, my primary doctor and the now orthopedic doctor that I have sent a release for those reports to be released to them , and as of today that has not been done. I have the disk but every doctor I take them to need the report, which this doctor won't release, isn't it someone I can pay to read my mri and give me a report.  I don't understand, is it really that hard to get these read
The disk is the DICOM images right from the computer.  Films will look even worse.  The disk is the actual DICOM data sets.  MRI has always been a computer generated image, the films were "printed from the data on the disk.  By the way, if there was movement and the study is technically unsatisfactory, the imaging center should redo the study.  They should not let a technically unsat study  out of their facility.

Films for CAT and CT always come from the data set, so I'd be looking for a Neurologist that knew that.
why would a doctor charge to intrepret the mri i took him on disk? I also took the reports from the radiologist.. I thought  this is why they charge a consultation fee.