Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neuro called this AM

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neuro called this AM

My Neurologist/MS Fellow called at 8:45 this AM.  He asked if I had the discussion with my partner and I told him what we discussed and the fears about my vision and cognitive function.  He said he understood those fears and there was enough clinical evidence to recommend treatment.  

He then asked if I had researched the DMDs and did I have a preference.  I said that given the safety record, relative lack of serious complications, and safety record I was considering Copaxone.  He said that he agreed and many patients in the practice use Copaxone.  He said that an additional benefit was that it did not require labs on a regular basis.  He said he would fill out the paperwork today and have it faxed to shared solutions.  

No fuss.  Pretty easy.  Now I just have to wait for Shared Solutions.  After hearing some of the issues folks have had on the forum, I was a bit surprised.  I went from ON to treatment with DMDs in 8 months.   I still not sure if they said CIS or RRMS, but given two documented attacks, I'm guessing RRMS.  If anyone in the Denver area wants a recommendation on a Dr. or MS Center, message me.  I'm guessing nothing will happen until after Thanksgiving, since we'll be out of town.

Thanks for the support people have given me over the journey.  

Bob
Tags: DMD, treatment
Isn't there a Rocky Mountain MS Center somewhere nearby?  I'm not sure if they offer neurological care, but it's worth a try.  I know they're a research facility.

I started with Copaxone, and moved to Betaseron when I got tired of the immediate post-injection reaction. (Had about 5, I think.)  Aside from the blood tests, I like Betaseron just fine...  Hope Copaxone works for you!  
It is wonderful for you to finally be on a treatment to get well. I hope you are still going to continue on the forum.

Good luck to you, Pamela
RMMC (Rocky Mountain MS Center) is affiliated with the University of Colorado Heath Science Center where I'm seen.   John R. Corboy, MD is my supervising doctor.  So between RMMC and CU Health Science Center, I figure I'm getting pretty good care.

Bob
Welcome to the copaxone club ... there are quite a few of us here who are doing quite well on it.  Others like Jen and Shell are taking a different DMD, also with success.  It's like the pepsi/coke challenge - they are the same, yet different and is a matter of personal preference.

the SS piece may take a while - the neuro sends in their order to SS.  SS then contacts your insurance (using information from your neuro office) and waits for that approval.  THEN they will contact you and work out the details of shipment, contact info for the training nurse, etc.  It usually takes a good 2-3 weeks to get to that first injection.  

I think I remember you saying your partner has a phobia about needles but it would be a good idea for you both to be present for the training.

Glad to hear you are moving on.........
Lulu
I wish you the best of luck with your new treatment!  I can sincerely say I was grateful that you took the time to read and write back to me Bob.  As you embark on a new journey of "doing something about your disease", I am sure there is comfort to know you are empowering yourself.

I pray that everything runs smoothly for you and that it will be a success!

Lisa
Good luck with your treatment.  You are going at this with such a great attitude that I bet you will do great on treatment.  I hope you will feel empowered.

You're still going to help us all out aren't you?
I'm glad that you finally have some answers and are looking at treatment. And 8 months is fast with this disease.  It sounds like everything is falling into place and you just need to sit back and relax a bitl

I also hope you will come back and hang out with us.  You have alot to offer!

Red
That's great news, Bob. I'm so glad you're getting treatment now. Eight months is an eternity when you're having symptoms and no treatment. What a relief. I wish you the best with your Copaxone treatment, and hope it works well for you.
Hi Bob,

I thought I'd jump in here too (even though I've already spoken to you through our messages).  I think it's great that you're taking positive steps for your health.  
I guess with our experience there, the Rocky Mtn MS Ctr isn't so bad, with you and me both starting Copaxone...  I've been on it now for about 2 mos. and so far so good....just a little stinging and a welt, but it's totally worth it in the end.  
:-)
We'll be expecting you to check in with us after your vacation.  
-Kelly
Best wishes in the next phase, Bob.  Praying for full and permanent remission.  (Well, that goes for everyone here, frankly!)
Bob, hoping your vacation is jam packed with fun and great memories!!!   What wonderful news that your doctor is listening and moving on it.  My doctor is aggressive about my treatment and I love her for it!  I searched eight years for someone to listen and listen she did!  Maybe sharing your story will give others strength not to give in and keep battling.  And yes, your partner does need to be present and learn to give a shot.  I can nearly see the pale face...lol....
Not just pale.  Full blown syncope!  He passed out when he saw one of the needled and syringes I use on the cattle. Maybe a 1ML glass syringe with a 27 ga 3/4 inch sub-Q needle won't be so bad.

I misread your last sentence at first and had to reread.  I thought you were describing the size of the glass of wine that would help him give you your shots!  That would probably help, too!  LOL  

Some people, like my daughter, cannot be anywhere near me when I give myself shots--even now.  I take my shots as a routine and never think about who's in the room.  If it's time for my other medicine, it's time for me to have my shot.  My daughter literally runs out of the run faster than Roadrunner when she sees me brandishing my needle!  
Lots of luck, Bob!

Glad you decided to be proactive--- from what I can tell it seems the best course of action.

I'll let you know if I have any luck seducing my neuroradiologist. ;)

Sadie
Hey Bob,

Praying for you. You're going to be just fine. I'm a firm believer that what you sow is what you reap, and I can tell you that with the advise & help you've offered to others here (including myself), you've helped quite a few. So now it's your turn to start receiving.

Be blessed!