Multiple Sclerosis Community
Newly MS diagnosis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Newly MS diagnosis

I have been dx with MS today and I'm so confused I had optic neuritis and that was it so had convinced myself my neuro opthomologist was being dramatic about MS as it started the ON only 6 weeks ago I have tingling in my fingers if I have a shower but thought that was quite normal! Anyway I've now developed muscle spasms in my lower back I've been told by all they are not MS related does anyone else get these?
Hi and welcome to our little MS community,

Unless they found another specific cause for the muscle spasms in your back, then it definitely can be MS related. Maybe the question you should be asking is....why isn't this another sx of my MS, if muscle spasms are very common for people with MS? For MS to be discounted as the cause, there would have to be a better explanation, have you been given any alternative causes for the spasms in your back?

If you look to the right of your screen, you'll find access to our 'health pages' you'll find one or two that discuss muscle tone, spasms etc I'm sure you'll find them worth reading but you can also 'search this community' on muscle spasms and that will bring up any previous discussions we've had, which might also be of interest to you.

Again welcome, though i'm very sorry you've been dx with MS! You've found a safe place, we are a friendly and supportive community and will try to help you in any way we can.

Hugs..........JJ
Hi Emma,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but hope you are preparing to treat your MS as you enter into a new phase of knowing :)

Not all spasms are MS related, and if the doctor performed a physical (checking on your tone, contraction, etc) on you and determined these are unrelated to your MS, then trust it, but be sure to call if their office if you continue to have problems. Muscle spasms are different than spasticity and they are often confused as one in the same.

I've found relief from advil and naproxen for muscle spasms unrelated to MS. And, stretching is good for either issue. Not a cure by any means, but it is helpful to maintain stretched muscles for a variety of reasons,
-shell

Sorry for the diagnosis. It is a roller coaster ride the first year. Many of us are relieved to finally have a diagnosis and be validated. On the other hand no one wants to have MS. Accepting the diagnosis is hard at first. I thought my Doctors were crazy "MS I don't have MS".

The first year it is hard because everything is not MS. I for example have two bad disk, which I only found out about from MRIs looking for MS lesions. The best thing to do is strengthen your core which is also good for MS. I went to a Physical therapist who taught me a great routine. I also took a class from the National MS Society which also taught core exercises.

I also do horse therapy  and yoga which helps with the core.

We are here to answer any questions we can. Also to provide support .

My rule of thumb if I do not know if something is MS related I see my family Doctor first.

Alex
Hi and welcome.  Confused is normal and pretty much expected when learning you have been diagnosed with MS. That's especially true when you weren't even suspecting it .

When I think of lower back spasms, I don't necessarily think of it being an MS symptom.  There are so many things that can go wrong and tweek our backs into being unhappy.  If the doctors don't think it is MS related, I hope they have recommended or prescribed treatment to help with some relief.

sorry about you joining our club- membership here is a pretty good thing - the folks are friendly and helpful. see you around, Laura