Nystagmus
I have had nystagmus for a few years but never knew what it was or the cause. I thought it was a vision issue but have recently learned it is a neurological condition. I recently had an MRI which was mostly normal but did have an abnormal signal. What does this mean? Is multiple sclerosis a possibility or is the nystagmus of no concern?
Nystagmus is caused by neurological damage - usually a lesion in an area of the brain called the medial longitudinal fasciculus (MLF). What strength was your MRI?  Sometimes if the Tesla is lower than 1.0, it won't pick up small lesions.

MS isn't necessarily the cause of your lesion, but it's a strong possibility.
It can be a neuro problem but it can also be a vision problem and as I found out this morning it can be caused by an ear problem. Nystagmus comes in all shapes and forms, and is the word used to describe the jerking or shaking movement of our eyes.

My nystagmus is being caused by BPPV - I was just evaluated this morning and the therapist says I have rocks in my head - well at least they are tiny little hard deposits in my ears causing my balance problems.  Or at least causing part of my balance problems.  A good explanation of BPPV is at dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html
I trust the censors will let that one go through because it is the doctor's website at Northwestern University.

I would head back to your doctor and ask him/her what the MRI report really means and if further tests are warranted.

I hope you stick around and learn more about MS.
Lulu

Out of curiosity why did you have the MRI? And what have you been advised to do with the results? Who ordered the MRI? Like jensequitur said it is a symptom that occurs with MS but it also occurs from other things too. Pretty much all symptoms caused by MS could have been caused by something else. I just did a search on Nystagmus and did locate Nystagmus and I see it can even be congential, just the way a person is.

Congenital nystagmus itself is usually mild and non-progressive. The affected persons are not normally aware of their spontaneous eye movements but vision can be impaired depending on the severity of the movements.

But that is just Wiki, I'm certain you have already researched this. I was just catching up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic_nystagmus#Causes

What have you been advised to do with your MRI findings?
I have  nystagmus.

I can see the words swimming on the page when I read.  If I close one eye it is worse, or if I really try and fixate on something (yes not a candidate for lazer correction).

I have it from having congenital strabismus (turned inward eye) from when I was a baby.  

I think It *can* be related to neurological conditions, but it does not have to be. It can be an  eye problem too .  

I also have nystagmus but was not told by my eye doc it could be a problem.

When i spoke to my friends about it, it became a joke.  They all told me they thought I was flirting, LOL

I feel no sensation at all, but I guess my eyes bounce back and forth.
I caught my daughter when she was a litle girl,looking in the mirror  trying to make her eyes go back and forth and when I asked her what she was doing? She told me I want my eyes to do what yours do.  It was too funny  I don't know if it is serious condition
Linda
bump