Multiple Sclerosis Community
Pain Management

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Pain Management

G'day.

New to MS - know about the condition, but little about the pain management regimes available.

My mother has MS.  My parents are in the UK and I live down under.  I'm in the UK visiting and have seen the pain she often goes through.  It was quite often hidden in conversations.   I have tried to find out whether my parents have thought of nerve blocks to help deal with the pain, but they don't focus real well and the answer never comes.

I am trying to find out whether my personal professional experiences with injury management (I do rehab work but my experiences are with injuries) can be of any use.  I have managed people with workplace injuries and know that nerve blocks can have great results with localise pain issues e.g. chronic back pain.

Are nerve blocks an option for MS pain management?

Cheers,

MC

MC,
A quick look and I don't see anything that matches up with MS and nerve blocks-  Perhaps someone else here will have some experience with nerve blocks.

In the meantime, I pulled up a wonderful reference for pharmaceutical drug treatments for MS that you might find useful - it is available online at

www.mult-sclerosis.org/mstreatments

If she is open to complimentary alternative medicines, I would recommend accupuncture for pain management.  She could at least try it and see if it helps at all.  I have had several needle sessions and all yielded lots of benefits.

Your mother is fortunate to have you there with her trying to find her some help.  I know the system in the UK is quite different to navigate - good luck in getting her something for relief.  

mybest wishes to you and your parents,
Lulu
the above link didn't work for me  - try this one

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/mstreatments.html