Multiple Sclerosis Community
Singing and tingling

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Singing and tingling

Ok wonderful peeps (tis Easter and Passover so I permit peeps Lol), here's a great question, I think anyways, and my questions are usually boring as heck I'll admit. Do you tingle in your spine and down your legs when you sing?

Is that normal for People without MS?
In church tonight I noticed major spine, leg and into legs tingling - kind of like in shower when water falls on head- when I was singing but it stopped when I wasn't singing. Does ANYONE get that too?!
Just sneezed a couple of times from sitting position this time - same tingles but from spine into arms  - what is this?? It's not unpleasant but very strange.
Okay another weird to add to the long list of MS weird, lol I don't think it's normal for anyone MS or not, your kind of special to be singing and tingling ;o)

Just a thought though, if the singing part is coincidental and your tingling when you bend your neck to look down at the hymn book or head bending forward with the sneeze, so in other words the physical action of bending your chin down then you 'may' be experiencing what's called L'Hermitte's, though it's usually described an electric shock feeling, it is also be described as tingling.

"Lhermitte's sign or Lhermitte's syndrome is a sudden sensation resembling an electric shock that passes down the back of the neck and into the spinal column and can radiate out to the fingers and toes. It is usually triggered by flexing the neck, that is, bending your head down, chin towards chest and is sometimes referred to as barber's chair syndrome." http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/lhermitte.jsp

Cheers............JJ

ps L'hermittes isn't unique to MS but it's pretty common    
this doesn't quite sound like Lhermitte's to me, which is usually so sharp and unexpected it is painful, but I'm no doctor so please don't take my word for this one.  It's a great question and I hope others will add their experiences or thoughts to this.
Some years ago I was asked never to sing again. 'Why' would be come painfully obvious if I chose not to honor the request.

Kyle

Hey Laura, i actually always use to think L'hermitte's had to be a sudden painful electric shock sensation too but i keep finding it also described as a    tingling or buzzing, so i thought L'hermitte's worth mentioning as a maybe eg....

A. R. M. Saifuddin Ekram, Ng Louisa, Bhasker Amatya, Fary Khan. Chronic Pain in Multiple Sclerosis: An Overview. American Journal
of Internal Medicine. Vol. 2, No. 2, 2014, pp. 20-25. doi: 10.11648/j.ajim.20140202.13

"1.2.2. Intermittent Central Neuropathic Pain
• Lhermitte’s phenomenon
Some patients with MS have a transient, short-lasting sensation at the back of the neck, lower back or other parts of the body following forward bending of the neck. The sensation, known as Lhermitte’s phenomenon, is usually
electric-like but can be tingling, buzzing or otherwise. It propagates rapidly and disappears on resuming normal posture. It is caused by demyelination in the cervical spinal cord due to MS, but can also occur in other cervical spine
disorders (such as demyelination of posterior columns from cisplatin therapy, pernicious anemia or from cervical herpes zoster) [18]. "

the article is available on line see link below
http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/pdf/10.11648.j.ajim.20140202.13.pdf

lol kyle i lost the ability to hold a tune at least a decade ago, i had to mime singing the national anthem so the kids wouldn't get distracted........ by my strangled cat throwing up impersonation lol

Cheers.......JJ
Kyle, LOL. JJ I have cats - know that sound well! I am sure you both sound just fine singing!
Thanks for links JJ. It seemed like it could be l'hermittes but my C spine mri on 1.5t is clear. So I dunno. But it is something to do with flexing neck or back since I got it again bending to brush teeth and dry hair this morning. It doesn't hurt as lulu was saying but when it's strong and goes down legs it does feel that it would make legs collapse if it went on longer but then it stops and I'm ok - really weird. I think I must just be wired up the wrong way LOL.
maybe the current is flowing the wrong way?   LOL  Thanks for that link, JJ - interesting how often I have to rethink what I think I know!  :-)
Hmm.   Was it worse with any particular song?  ;-D
Heehee Pastor Dan... The Latin was a doozy LOL
The Holy Spirit maybe? That's my guess!
lol it's been a long long time since i could sing "just fine" lol years before I started struggling to get words out of my mouth, my youngest as a baby use to put his tiny hand over my mouth when ever i sung a lullaby to him, lol i thought it was so cute until he started talking and he'd do the same thing but then tell me NO! hmmmm i sure got the message loud and clear lol I just can't sing! :D

Another thought i had, has to do with how far your neck actually bends when you look down, apparently this age of technology is creating our necks to overly bend and our spines to loose their natural curvature. It's suppose to be because of the amount of time we are now looking at our iphones, tablets etc so its a structural issue and whilst unrelated to MS it can still cause the zaps, tingles etc too. The above mentioned gamer kid, has experienced the sudden shock feeling but if you saw the shape of his neck since his growth spurt, im sure you wouldn't be surprised why lol my solution for him is to stop gaming errrr right like thats going to ever happen lol  

Cheers..........JJ

PS He's 16 now and he still cant stand my singing lol
If I get a nice ping-ey "eee" vowel going, the vibrations in my head make me dizzy.  Doesn't happen with any other vowels.
Do you know why it happens to you habana as ?