Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tingling in hands and feet, cold extremeties

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I've been experiencing intermittent tingling/pins and needles/burning in my hands and feet for the past month.  When I take a hot shower the soles of my feet start tingling badly and sometimes this spreads further up my leg.  I also get feelings of 'goosebumps' on my calves.  My extremeties feel very cold at times but often only one hand while the other is warm.  I had these symptoms some months ago but they went away and I didn't think about it again until they reappeared last month.  At first I put it down to bad circulation but the doctor seems to think it is neurological.  

Do these symptoms sound like MS?  I have a neurologist appointment next week.  Any advice would be appreciated.  
I had a sleeping feeling in my leg and the acupuncturist I went to at the time felt it was circulation and after multiple treatments it went away for awhile.  It sounds like you may have peripheral neuropathy.  I think both circulatory and neurological causes should be looked into.  For instance, have they ruled out peripheral vascular disease?  Diabetes?  And they should do an EMG.  To look for MS, MRI of the brain and spine is what they may order for you.
Hi, Thank you for your question. From the symptoms you describe, it sounds that it could be a circulatory disturbance (due to compression of blood vessels) or a nerve pinched.  This may most likely occurs due to any clots in blood vessels, excessive alcohol use or diabetes. I would suggest evaluating all the possibilities with the help of a doctor first. Further referral to a neurologist will surely help you in getting a more precise opinion here. Hope this information proves help you.

I have constant tingling and numbness in my right hand, which started off on the outside of the baby and ring finger. It has now spread to the whole finfers and down the palm of my hand. Over the past three months, my hand will go ice cold, usually while I am working at the computer.

Neuro thinks I have degenerative disc disease and one area of the C spine does show nerve impingement that could cause this. Will be bringing this up with her during my next appointment at the end of the month.

Do not have any reactions to a hot shower.

Thanks all for your comments.  Trouble is that both my hands and feet are affected so it is unlikely to be a pinched nerve.  Will keep you posted.
Besides what you already know, you might consider if you are leaning on your elbow on the affected side.  I did this and started having tingling in my pinky finger.   A physical therapist suggested whether I was leaning on my elbow, which could impinge on the ulnar nerve.  I discovered I was leaning on the arm of the computer chair!