Multiple Sclerosis Community
can i have bone spurs in the neck and ms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

long story short have suffered for years from sore neck and tingling in arms, face and legs. Chropracter didn't hep, just found out have bone spurs on neck form mri.  brain mri came back normal neck one showed bone spurs.  Have put symptoms down to bone spurs, but pain getting worse and staying longer.  Feel like have alot of symptoms of ms, left face tingling, headaches, left side arm leg tingling and numb, right arm tingling, crawling skin, muscle spasms, tirdness, suffer from depression so on invalids benefit (depression manily due to feeling so yuk)  Can't remember things like peoples names and go blank for things I should know.  No doc seems to no what is wrong - being refeered to bone spec for bone spurs but wondering if should push for neuro or just go to ed.  Am on pain killer down from morphine as nothing else works and this still doesn't help the pain, also on steriods at moment to help with pain and still not doing anything.  Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated. Am 39 and have had symptoms for at least 15 years but getting worse and lasting longer.
I am not a Doctor just a person who has had MS a long time and has other orthopedic issues as well. You have to go with your gut. If you think you have a problem pursue it unless a doctor explains why it can not possibly be neurological. Then ask which area to pursue. Many people have incidental bone spurs found on MRIs and they in themselves cause no real pain. They are basically a growth of bone in an area of poor biomechanics.

Bone spurs are not directly related to MS. People with MS can also have bone spurs. As they can have every other ailment. MS does not exclude people from other problems. There are many things which cause your symptoms so basically it will take investigation and may be take many specialists to sort out. You may be lead in many directions until an answer is found.

Even with a diagnosis (cause), pain relief may prove complicated. In my own case my Doctors are honest. They first off tell me they are not sure what causes my pain. A little MS, a little wear and tear, a little mystery.

A basic neurological exam can tell if their is neurological issues better than an MRI. They can even pin point damage to the nervous system.

Opiates and narcotics generally do not work on nerve pain. For MS patients off label drugs such anti seizures work for nerve pain. It is trial and error of many medications until they find the right mix. For people with involuntary muscle spasms muscle relaxers are used. These have draw backs in they impair driving, thinking, and every day life. It is all a balancing act. I literally have pages of medications I tried which did not work for me.

I wish there was an easy fix. The truth is the human body is complicated and each of us as an individual is complicated. Sometimes it takes a long time to sort out.

Alex
I aswell have been suffering from similar situation ..I have under gone three surgeries due to symptoms related to carpul tunnel/cubital (numbness, fatigue muscle spasms etc ..) afer the surgeries the symptoms remain. Since then tremors have started in my legs and arms. Like a fish outta water...I feel shaky inside ..and. then came neck pain.  I had a MRI and the results were that I have tiny bone spurs and buldging disk at c6...my family dr wants me tosee a neuo surgeon vs my Orthopedic dr who has referred me to a neurologist that specializes in ms dx...since the tremors my legs are somewhat under control ..but when my arm is turned a certain way the shaking tirns to flopping..I have three daughters to care for and I haven't the strength to fully brush my7year olds hair due to fatigue ...help!?
Also..I definitely do not want another surgery and it not "fix"the problems.. can the c6 disk and spurs relate to my legs? ? I have looked and not related the legs to that nerve ending? ??
I see that Alex has already given you some advice.  If it feels like the answers from the doctor don't fit your problems, then definitely find someone else to do a second opinion.

The neurosurgeon recommendation sounds like  a good one.  I know you must feel desperate for help with haveing the three girls to care for.  I am sorry you are going through these problems.  

And yes, from what I know problems in the spine at any location can affect any of our limbs - arms or legs.   But I am no doctor, just a person living with MS like Alex.  

Feel free to come back and let us know how you make out with the next doctors, ok?

L
I believe if you have any disks that are damaged in your neck from c5 and up. That could cause a lot of your symptoms that your having.  Pain in arms,numbness etc.  Just a thought u might want to look into.

I hope maybe this could help your alittle.

Take care,
Misty