Multiple Sclerosis Community
hypotonic bladder

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

hypotonic bladder

Just went to see the neuro MD due to the urological md told me that my bladder muscles are flaccid and this is why I have to cath myself due to not being able to void.   The neuro MD told me that this type of bladder is not related to MS .    But my urological MD stated that my bladder was acting just like a bladder of someone that has MS .   So who right the neuro MD or the urological MD.     The neuro MD also told me that because of my grand old age of 49 that if I had a MRI that it would be difficult to tell if I had MS due to I would already have area's from aging - is this right or what - this Dr has me so confused that I don't know if I need to have the MRI that I' am scheduled to have or if I would be wasting my time and my money.     Also my neurological exam last the a whole 5 minutes.    Just would like a little information re; hypotonic bladder -  can it be from MS      thanks .
Welcome Gardenwitch- I hope you find this forum useful while you look for answers.  As for this neuro, you need to place a spell on him and make him disappear.  Immediately.  

Any doctor who doesn't 1) listen to the patient and other doctors, 2) doesn't spend more than 5 minutes on exam (should be a minimum of 1 hour), and 3) plays the age card deserves to at least be turned into a toad.

No wonder you are confused - we pay these experts because we trust that they know their material.  This can be a MySterious disease to diagnose and you need to be seen by a neurologist who specializes in MS.

Go ahead and have the MRI done, make sure it is done by MS protocol, and absolutely be sure to get a copy of the films for your own records.  You will want these for the next doctor that you see because you should not stick with this one.

There is a thorough explanation of a flaccid bladder at the Merck Manual on line -
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec17/ch228/ch228d.html

We have great health pages here (yellow icon, upper right side of this page) with lots of information about the diagnostic process.  You should spend some time reading these and learn more about MS.

Whatever you do, don't mention to the doctors that you have been looking online for answers - that is the quickest way to be dismissed as a patient.  

Please come through often and spend some time here learning more - this is a very knowledgeable and compassionate community.

Be well,
Lulu
Get a new doctor. By the way, an MRI shows MS "fluffs" (white fluffy areas unique to the disease) quite nicely. If you haven't been diagnosed with MS, have you ever had low back or spinal cord compression issues? Either of these can cause "flaccid bladder" problems, and, if this is the case and your bladder is not receiving nerve signals to void, you may be a candidate for a bladder "pacemaker". I know it sounds crazy, but this device stimulates the bladder to contract enabling urination. Also, (I can only imagine how weary you are of doctors about now), do you have a urologist or gynecologist? If not, get one. He/she will be able to help you probably more than the neuro doc if your problem is not MS related and is due to "structural" problems (e.g. fallen bladder, vagocele (sp?) or rectocele from having children, lifting a lot of heavy weights during your life, etc. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! ~MM