mri
Not sure if I am in the right place or not, but I recently had an MRI done and this is the results and would like some further information on it.  The impression of the MRI said there are multiple areas of abnormal signal intensity in the cerebral white matter.  A demyelination process would be a strong consideraton.  Nonspecific nonacute microvascular changes with a vasculitis would also be in the differential diagnosis.  Can you please explain what this means?  My dr. is sending me to a neurologist, but I am not sure how long it will take to get into one and I would like some more information on it.
You have come to a very good place.  We are not doctors around here (except for Quix) so we can't give medical advice, but can speak in generalities for you to better understand this report.

The report is saying that there are areas that are abnormal on your MRI.  These could be from a demyelinating disease such as MS or even from something simple as high blood pressure or other vascular diseases.  The "differential" means that there is more than one possiblity to look at for answers.

Waiting for the neuro appt. can take time and patience, so try to not drive yourself crazy (easier said than done!)  .  Would you care to share some of our symptoms of why they did an MRI?  That might help to fill in some of the blanks.

I'm so sorry you are searching for these answers and I hope we can be of help on your journey.
be well,
Lulu

.
that should be your symptoms and not our symptoms.  :-)
Vasculitis is an inflammation of your blood vessels.  Vasculitis is a "mimic" of MS.  (which there are many other mimics of MS but since your MRI suggests one or the other, it narrowed it down I think).

I hope you will be able to make your appointment soon with your Neurologist.  Don't worry, your primary doctor is doing right by you by sending you to one.  From there, the Neurologist will do further testing.

Your Neurologist will hopefully perform a thorough clinical neurological examination and most likely do some additional laboratory testing.  There are other tests the Neuro may do that is referred to as a neurophysiological assessment.  There are quite a few of them but the main ones are visual evoked potential (called VEP) and perhaps an auditory brainstem response assessment.  These tests you can google online to see what they do.  These are painless tests.

Welcome to the forums and let us know how it goes and when your appointment is.

Lisa