Neurology Expert Forum
Thyroid causing Epilepsy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thyroid causing Epilepsy?

Recently I have found that my thyroid levels are abnormal and I'm being checked for those.  Many of the unexplained things that have happened when I have had seizures before coincide with hypothyroidism.  Those things would be: facial swelling (happens to me right after a seizure), extreme hyperness followed by extreme lethargy happens sometimes, etc.  But, I have seizures around these times when these things happen.
*  Could it be that my thyroid messing up is one cause for the seizures?  ie. hormones off balance causing it?
*  Could the seizures trigger the thyroid to mess up because of "misfired signals" from thr brain?
These are just a couple of things that I couldn't explain with anything else.  I couldn't help but wonder if this could be a factor in my Epilepsy.  If it is I'm excited by the prospect of possibly being able to get off some of the meds. (lamictal, neurontin, topamax, celexa).
I know that you can't dx me or anything, I'm just wondering if you've ever heard of thyroid and E. being related?
Hope I didn't ramble!
God bless and thank you for your time!
Chaddy
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.    
   Hypothyroidism does not directly lead to seizures.  It can cause depression, fatigue, and weight gain.  The lack of energy and motivation experienced by patients with hypothyroidism may also contribute to their non-compliance with medication.  
   Some anti-seizure medications can reduce the levels of thyroid hormones in the body (phenytoin, phenobarbital, and carbamazapine have all been reported to lower thyorid levels).  The drugs that you are on, have not been shown to affect thyroid levels.
   Refractory cases of hyperthyroidism (I believe you are hypo-thyroid) can lead to seizures and coma.  I would definetly have your thyroid treated and you will likely gain energy and improved mood, but it is unlikely to change your epilepsy.
I hope this has been helpful.
I have an 8 year old daughter who has had seizures since she was 6 months old. We believe they started as febrile seizures but have progressed into an undiagnosed/unexplained seizure disorder.  She is on medication (Neurontin and Keppra)for the last few years and recently Lamictal.  For the past few years her seizures average only about 1-2 per month.  One very obvious trigger for her seizures has been fluctuation in body temperature and we have been researching if this may be connected to a Thyroid problem. I just recently found out that we have a family history of Thyroid problems which I was not aware of. I would be interested into communicating with anyone who is researching this possible connection.
A related discussion, Epilepsy and Hypothyroid Link Hope was started.
A related discussion, thryroid and seizures was started.
A related discussion, There's always hope for an answer was started.