NEUROLOGY
FORUM
blurred vision. pressure in head and ears, dizziness, muscle weakness
by riley70, Aug 22, 2006
I have posted on undiagnosed symptoms also.  I have been having blurred vision, dizziness, pressure and fullness in ears and head and behind eyes, muscle weakness, joint pain, crick in neck, and severe fatigue for over a year now.  Oh! also heart pounding and times where I can hear it in my head and feel it. Also deep itching sensations in my muscles that of course you can't scratch like pins and needles.  Been to ENT nothing wrong with ears, been to primary doctor MRI normal. Switched Doctors because primary basically laughed at me.  Have new Doctor went to last week and he seems wonderful he got blood work from last doctor and said your CRP is high 21.2 so we need to do ANA and ESR and the ESR has come back normal do not know about ANA yet. I am only 35yr old female and was always so healthy unitl a little over a yr ago when this all started suddenly and it has been every single day now sometimes off and on during the day and sometimes last for hours.  I feel like I cannot function at times and my brain is foggy. I have to literally make myself move and do things at times. I have been on Zanax since going to the new doctor and it has not helped.  I also have funny noises in my ears and times from all the pressure. I hope and pray someone can give me some guidance as to what this might be. New doctor says if ANA comes back postive it might show a connective tissue disorder so I don't know I feel very helpless in away because somehow someway someone ought to be able to tell me what is happening to my body. Please some info!!!!
Answer:
by CCF-Neuro-M.D.-SH, Aug 25, 2006
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
  The symptoms you describe are not specific for any single disorder, but there are several possibilities that should be investigated.  Blurred vision, headpressure in ears/behind the eyes, and pulsatile tinnitus (hearing your heartbeat in your ears) is common with a syndrome called benign intracranial hypertension (BIH)(also know as pseudo-tumor cerebri).  This condition often affects young females (ages 20-40), and is more prevelant in overwieght individuals(but not always).  The spinal fluid is at increased pressure (from decreased resorption) and causes the symptoms.  Diagnosis is made by lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to measure the spinal fluid pressure (typical BIH pressures will be 30-45mm H20)(normal pressure is 10-20mm H20). Some medications, such as diamox (acetozolamide) can also help reduce the pressure.  You should definitely have an ophtalamological exam as soon as possible to evaluate if the increased pressure is affecting your vision.  The increased spinal fluid pressure can cause papiledema (swelling of the optic disc) and visual field defects/blurry vision (which may be permanent if not addressed).  An additional scan that probably was not done on your MRI is an MRV (magnetic resonance venogram), that is very important to evaluate this condition (blockage of cerebral veins can cause BIH).  I would also send off the spinal fluid for inflammation (tourtelotte panel, oligoclonal bands) to evaluate for multiple sclerosis, Lyme disease antibodies/protiens, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus to screen for other conditions that are possible as well.  You should also have an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) if you have not had one yet.  Vascular malformations such as AVMs, glomus tumors, etc can also cause your symptoms.
To summarize I would recommend a lumbar puncture to evaluate for BIH/ chronic infections and an MRA/MRV.
I hope this has been helpful.