Ovarian Cysts Community
How long is recovery from Laparoscopic surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

WOW!.....I've read all the posts up to 'last year' then I realized that it might just be easier to 'ask this' then to search for it....i'm one of those gals that 'wants to know NOW', sorry.  
My surgery is an 'outpatient' one at a local hospital, they said i'd be home by late afternoon at the latest (providing there's no 'issues') but i'd be 'out of pocket/recovering' for at least 3-4 days....NOT WEEKS....are they wrong with that diagnosis?  I really need to know, i'm the only one that works here in my office (it's a company that has two venues) and I do 'everything' and there's NO replacement or stand in.  I'm not even sure how my boss is going to handle this news, but HEY, it's my health and it comes first!  Please advise ASAP!
P.S. I really liked the idea of 'pre-making & freezing' meals, this way I don't have to rely on hubby for that.  As for the 'constriction' after surger....been there done that with my hip surgeries and there's no way I want to go through that 'feeling & situation' again....YUKKO, I think i'll research the bran muffins and 'fiber' supplements this week.  You ladies are great, i'm so happy I found this site!!
The most common recovery period is two weeks at home.  I can't imagine a mere 3 or 4 days to recover.

Is this to remove a cyst?  If so, what size?  Do they know how many laparoscopic incisions they plan to make? (it is usually more than one)  

Sometimes a person goes in for laparoscopic surgery and ends up getting a laparotomy (open surgery) when the small incisions are just too small for them to work.  That requires an at-home recovery of about six weeks and a longer hospital stay.

I had a laparotomy, but from what I've seen, the majority of the ladies here that had laparoscopic surgery required more than 3-4 days at home.  Hopefully more will respond to you soon.
I am also having laporoscopic in 2 weeks time and my doctor said it would take me up to a week to recover. I know it's not incredibly helpful, but I've heard it really depends on the person... Some people are up and at it within 3 days or so; others, it takes longer. It also depends whether or not they remove 'girl parts'. I most likely will lose my right ovary, which the doctor said could lengthen my recovery period by a few extra days. I had laporoscopic for a cyst when I was 18 and I hardly remember the recovery, side from the nausea from the anaesthetic. I guess being young really helps with recovery!!

To be safe I'd tell them you will need a week off. Good luck!!! :-)
I had ovarian surgery in jan of 06. It was supposed to be a minor surgery and I ended up with complications during the surgery and while recovering. For me it was a fluke thing. I was told about 4 wks would be recovery that is with out complications. Some women can recover alot sooner than that. I hope you feel better soon.....

AP
Sorry to hear you had complications, AP. Do you mind telling us a bit about what happened? I didn't even think about the possibility of complications!!... I know this thing needs to come out (dermoid) -- I also cannot deal with the pain anymore -- but I also want to fully understand what I am doing. I hope I'm not being too intrusive by asking...

All I can do is relate my own experience.. I had laparoscopic surgery last year.. 3 small incisions. Outpatient. Told not to drive, lift anything heavy, no heavy housework or heavy yardwork. Felt fine after a few days...not really pain, but sore when I tried to bend over, reach for something or sleep on my side. Stitches out in 1 week.And, I went to grocery store later in day (I didn't drive). But truly feel that 3-4 days for me would have been pushing it for work I'm retired so that was not an issue.Do you have to stand for long hours? Or lift much?. Even though you feel fine, and the stitches look good, there is still healing to be done internally..
     As one of the above posters said, everyone is different,.. I'd sure plan on more than 3-4 days.. I'd go for a week anyway..
Good luck..

Sandy
WOW.....I really appreciate everyone's input.  I haven't talked to the doctor yet, I was told to make a list to ask at pre-opt but that's only a week before the surgery....YIPES!  

Here at work I usually sit at my desk so I have access to the phone & computer when needed but there is an 'L shape' sectional here in the office I guess I can 'lay on it' and get up when necessary.BUT if i'm not allowed to drive (I don't have a stick), i'm screwed...unless I take a cab...but that's '$$ I really don't have'.
     My surgery is on a Tues and I was thinking of taking off the remainder of the week and going back the following Mon giving me 5 days at home OR since I have an "L shaped" sectional in my office (it's a huge room) I could 'settle in there' and just get up and go to my desk to record a rent payment or to use the computer when necessary, the phone is a portable so there's no worries there...I could put any duties (especially cleaning) that require lifting in/on the back burner.
    OH did I mention that the first week of the month is the busiest here...wonder how the boss is going to react to this one, though we do have a drop box for that purpose and maybe I could 'forward the calls' to my cell which I always have with me.
     I agree with the 'every person is different' as they told me i'd need 4-7 weeks after (each) hip replacement but I returned after 3.  I was bored being at home so the doc said I could do that but to NOT stand on my feet for long intervals...keep a bar stool/chair behind me if I started to feel weak or hurt in any way. I got away with that for 2 weeks and then the chair was forbidden...no worries there, I felt 'healed' by then.
     Thanks ladies, you've been very helpful with your comments...but keep them coming please....I have less then 2 weeks to ask questions and then it's 3 weeks til surgery.
Janel
Have you checked the post "10 things I learned from my laparoscopy"?  It's fairly close to the top.. really cute,informative and funny.. sounds like you may have seen it already. A gal on the cyst forum started it last year.. It has gotten very long, but we don't want shorten it since there is such a wealth of information on there .

I think so much is an individual thing.. I also think a lot depends on one's general health before the procedure, and the "mental" outlook. We have a very good friend who is a surgeon(thoracic)  who told us years ago that it's common knowledge in the medical community that one heals  quicker and easier if their "mental" state is postive .. Of course, that's not always possible especially when dealing with major surgeries. But I know that for myself I was told it was a piece of cake from the ladies on this board (actually they didn't have a ovcy board then.. it was combined with ovca) so I went in thinking it was a piece of cake, that's what my expectations were and I think it helped my recovery.

Please keep us posted on your outcome !
Good luck,
Sandy
I had a laparoscopy on Feb. 12 to remove a 7.5 cm simple cyst on my right ovary. The ovary and fallopian tube were also removed. I had to stay in the hospital overnight as my heart rate was elevated post-surgery and they wanted to monitor me. I kept insisting it was "just nerves" as I get very anxious re. medical procedures, but they wouldn't hear of it; they were cautious. They even did bloodwork twice to see if I was having a heart attack - talk about unnerving! Next day, my heart rate was back to normal and I went home that afternoon. Anyway, I went back to work (I'm a schoolteacher) on the 24th, and I felt that the twelve days of recovery was perfect. That first week of work, I still felt a little soreness around my right incision and some internally, but not enough to be too distracting. After that time, I felt completely normal. I think it must vary with the individual - 3-4 days of at-home recovery seems awfully short, though. Give yourself whatever time you need. Good luck to you!
I had laparoscopic surgery on January 27th.  It was 4 small incisions to remove a softball sized cyst.  It was outpatient as well.  Dr. told me as well I could go back to work in 2-3 days...but I'm glad I took more.  I actually went back to work on February 9th (just short of 2 weeks).  After 1 week I felt pretty good, but insides still felt pretty sore and found I got really tired.  Even my first week back at work I was exhausted by about 2 pm.  I would take up to 2 weeks if you are able.  Mine was pretty "uneventful" surgery, but even though on the outside everything looks so minor....you will certainly know that more went on on the inside.  Take the time you need or at least as much as you can.  Good luck!
Morning ladies, thanks to all of you for posting your suggestions/experiences.  I too am a firm believer that everyone is different especially when it comes to medical situations.  I have decided to tell my boss that I definitely need off the remainder of that week (that'll give me 5 days after the surgery) and then i'm going to propose a limited 'hours per day' for the first couple days of the following week, DEPENDING on how I feel.  THEN depending on how I feel and how tired I get (working limited hours for those first few days), i'll go from there....either more limited hours or plain & simple 'days off' til i'm completely healed.  I love my job and I know how dependant he is on me but Truth Be Told my health does come first!!  I'm into doing crafts & my fellow crafters recommend that I 'plan a craft from start to finish' OR finish one i've already started to help me relax....they may be right ; ), crafting has always relaxed me and it isn't something that takes alot of 'moving & lifting' HMMMMMMMM
L_B_D  I had a dream last night that I had some kind of 'complications' and they kept me over because of my blood pressure.....didn't like that dream at all....just as they were letting me go (to go home-in the dream) the Dr came in to bear bad news that it was cancer UGH!!!!  I think i'll watch 'sappy' movies or comedy shows before going to bed from now on....I made the mistake of watching a nasty movie that had a bad ending & it was also very sad.
Thanks again girls, I hope to hear more from all of you....post those suggestions please especially the 'food ones' LOL  I'm going to start making a list of things 'to do' and 'eat' while i'm laid up so 'bring it on' : D
Hi ladies, i've had my surgery and i'm back to work (4th day) but i've been working limited hours each day and it's working for me & my boss ; ).  I just posted a really long message on my other 'watched threads' on what i've learned & how things went....don't want to type all that again so if you're interested in hearing my story and seeing & learning some good tips, please go to the thread titled:
10 things to know about laparoscopic surgery.
  It's a very long thread but there's SOOOO MUCH good stuff there, especially if you have to or are scheduled to have surgery some time soon!
Just a quick note, surgery went well and I was home by early afternoon (12:30)....staying overnight was not a good thought for me and my stats were fine.
Sorry ladies I mis-spoke on the name of that thread....it's proper title is
The top 10 things I learned from having laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst/ovary
DARN....I hope I get it right this time!
Top 10 things I have learned from Laparoscopic cyst/ovary removal
Hi!

I'm getting a surgery tomorrow. And this is my first time to undergo a surgery. they will do a laproscopic to get rid of the cyst and endometriosis and on top of that they will do DNC and put blue dye to check if my fallopian tubes are open. I told them i want to get pregnant that's why they are checking my tubes too to make sure they're open.  now my question is, does someone here would happen to know how long the recovery time?  thanks in advance.
Give yourself 2 solid weeks of rest if you want to really give your body a chance to heal properly.  The third and fourth week, keep a low slow agenda or you'll regret it in the years to come.  It takes a good 2 -3 months to heal internally, so don't stress your body out during that time.

Let it heal, go slow, be gentle, eat easily digestible healthy food, take good quality vitamins, especially B's, Omega 3 oils (Olive Oil, NOT flax if you have endometriosis), D3, Magnesium is very important for women with endo, Purezyme is great for post surgery healing and help endo, Natural Progestelle has a great success rate of healing endo, and Bromelain (500-2,000 mg) reduces scar adhesions from forming AFTER surgery, DON'T take it before surgery, it might cause bleeding.  Excellent afterwards.  Also, to help dissolve scarring, put a cloth with a good dose of castor oil on it and place it over your waist. Wrap it with saran wrap and place a heating pad on for 30 -60 + minutes.  Castor oil softens scars and dissolves scar tissue in the body.  

I had severe case of endo, adhesions everywhere, but my doctor (who is one of the leading experts in the world in Boston) said they were all dissolving by the time (1 month later) he cut me open. I had a month to spend with experts and holistic practioners to find cures so I never have to go through surgery again.  Found out cures are out there!  Pregnancy heals endo because of the progesterone it releases.  But don't use any progesterone, use natural progestelle, and when you do, it's important to cut out ALL xenoestrogens before using.

Xenoestrogens are estrogen mimicing chemicals in our foods, laundry detergent, deodorants, shampoos, plastics (esp. heating food in plastic...DON'T!) Endometriosis is caused by too much estrogen in your diet and enviroment.  If you're not aware of it and don't make lifestyle changes, you'll probably get it again as it is the disease of the 21st century that 1 in 20 women have, most unknowingly.  There is WAY too much estrogen in our world that is sterilizing us women!

Let me know if you want more info, I'm thinking of starting a blog site with all the knowledge I've learned this last few months to help other women and sell them the right Progesterone, as I was buying the wrong one and making my condition worse.

My email is: ***@****.  If there are enough women who want info, I'll find the time and figure out how to set up a blog. Also, I've learned alot about cysts too, since 3 years ago I had several and was supposed to lose both ovaries.  But I didn't let them operate and found info that made my 2-3" cysts disappear.

Keep the faith!
Been there...ain't going back!
Hello: I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst on my right ovary that was the size of a softball on April 9th 2010.  I returned back to work on April 15,2010. I have a desk job so I am not doing a lot of moving around.  I feel pretty good but I do recommend very light work and no fast moving. Do not do a lot of bending and DONT lift anything. I am driving with no problems. The hardest part is getting into my jeep but once in I am good. I would advise anyone having this surgery to give urself 2 to 3 weeks to fully heal inside and outside.  Also eat light and healthy. Heavy, greasy food will play with u in the worst way.  Also drink plenty of liquids. Oh one more thing make sure u have GAS X PILLS. The gas after surgery will make u feel like u r dying. The pain was in my neck and shoulders. Hot tea also helped a geat deal.  Good luck.
Had my surgery on April 27 2010. I had four excisions. May 1 still real sore on the inside at the bottom. My doctor told me I should fully recover in 2wks.
i wanna conceive & doctor suggested laparascopy.. will it be successful?
i am going into surgery for second time in 6 mnths... my last surgery i had a 18cm cyst removed had few erruptars n alot of dis comfort... and my cyst grew back and they said probably be taking out my ovary left one, i am scared. and the pain after being pumped up is really hard to deal with what can i do make it easier on my body!?
I just had laproscopic surgery. Still in recovery. Ovarian cystectomy. I was told 3-4 days also. I went in on wednesday afternoon, has a small complicatin with bleeding, so didnt leave the hospital until early evening.  I was off work thursday and friday. Saturday I was still dizzy, and spent most of the day resting. it is now tuesday. I am at work, and thankfully it is a desk position. I dont need to move around much. Surgery "pain" lasts for approx 4 days. Now I am just sore. My belly button incision is really sore to the touch, but healing pretty well. I think it also helps that i had a lot of help around the house. You really need help, as you cant lift, bend over, get out of bed on your own for the first couple days.
Boy, It feels good to know I'm not alone.  I had my surgery on the 21st and had a 16cm cyst drained and removed that had 1 liter of fluid in it.  I kept thinking, am I being a baby??  This pain just isn't going away and I just don't feel like me yet.  It helps to know that I'm not alone and I can see that all of you are out there with me.
I had a hysterectomy in June that left me with such severe adhesions that I had to have laparoscopic surgery to remove the adhesions, as well as my ovaries and tubes.  Three weeks after the 2nd surgery I am still nowhere near full recovery.  I also developed a post op infection and am just finishing a 17 day course of antibiotics.  This is a far cry from the 1-2 week recovery that my doctor predicted.  Has anyone else had this experience?
Gosh Girls! I am so happy to NOT be ALONE on this!

I have been struggling with rapid weight gain and pain in my abdomen for 2 years...never realizing what it was. I had my daughter in Dec 2007 and doctors checked for cysts, found a few, but let them go. I was back to yearly routine visit and in 2009, cysts were a little larger then he let them go...again finding abnormal periods, more weight gain, tons of abnormal hormonal bloodwork. They had me on birth control, nothing worked. I ended up getting a new doctor because mine were completely worthless to my health and upon my FIRST visit he felt a cyst in my abdomen just by pressing on my waist. I had an ultrasound done and it was indeed a 4 inch by 3 inch by 2 inch follicular ovarian cyst on my left ovary. Well THIS EXPLAINS ALOT, I thought! He scheduled my surgery and I went in (outpatient)....He removed this large beast and to find another one BEHIND IT!!!!!! It was on my fallopian tube and that it was called "paratubular cyst". He removed that one cutting into my ovary a bit and caused bleeding. About 3.5 hours later I was awake and felt very very nauseous and was running a fever. They monitored me, I was stable, sent home.

At home I felt crappy, ended up going back to the ER on my 3rd night of recovery with a very high fever and chills. Turns out I got an infection @ my laparoscopy site and they fueled me with antibiotics. Gave me a script for the pills and sent me home to recover ..... again.......

About 2 days later, I woke up, peed blood, fever again......Went back to ER - UTI infection now! (God help me) I lay there, sore from surgery, that carbon dioxide gas from surgery is literally cutting into my neck and arms at this point just like totally feeling like a massive heart attack! LOL Seriously it's horrible!

Anyways, I ended up being admitted to be monitored 2 days and had another ton of IV antibiotics fueld through me again!!!!

It is now days later , finally, I am stable, healthy feeling, and at home.

Ovarian cysts seriously are nothing to wait on. I obviously had these in me for almost 3 years now and this is CLEARLY the bad "bacteria" in my blood and body that was causing my severe acne, weight gain, mood swings, bad periods...everything.

I am hoping my face clears up and I can easily lose weight now.

I cannot wait to have blood work (endocrinology-hormone wise) done again to see if I am actually normal.

I hope my comment helps someone because if you had any symptoms I had, call your doctor! Do not wait! It is better to be safe than sorry!

I had my daughter @ 190 lbs in Dec 2007 ---literally about 4 months later I was up to 243 lbs and I had no idea why. I never changed the way I ate or exercised so it was odd. I just figured "oh well it's being a mommy". I was totally unhappy.

I got myself SLOWLY and I mean SLOW--down to 232.

It took me almost 2 years to get to 232. Pretty sad I know...but I worked harder than I ever did in my life! I used to watch what I ate and run or walk and lose like 10 lbs in 2 weeks before all this ovarian cyst crap!

Anyways - I am now 232 again (still...days after surgery) hopefully in a few months , watching, waiting, if I return to 190 then it is no myth that ovarian cysts cause weight gain.

Has anyone else had acne or weight gain due to these buggers?!?!

I am 25 years old...if that helps -

I too had a large cyst removed in November 2010.  I was out of work for three weeks.  I had been in severe pain for 15 hours prior to emergency surgery.  The cyst, right ovary and fallopian tube were removed laproscopically, going through the belly button and two incisions on the left and right side of my abdomen.  CO2 had been used and I've got to tell you that was the most awful pain I experienced.  My doctor informed me exactly where I was going to feel the awful pain and she was right on.  That pain lasted me for approximately one week.  I was going to go back to work after two weeks being home, however my doc suggested taking one more week due to the severity and I listened to her.  I have to say that I was glad I took her advice as I felt much better after three weeks.  I still couldn't do strenuous things or dance, but felt much better.  I have to mention that my symptoms prior to finding out I had a cyst were very like flu-like symptoms.  I was very tired and nauseous.  However I had one symptom of when I walked I always had some pain in my groin area where you would probably think you pulled a muscle.  The night I began to experience severe abdominal pain that was just not giving up and then I began to vomit was when I figured I had to go to the ER.  All I can say is most of us know our bodies and how they feel. Don't discount any type of symptoms.  I am actually feeling some of the same symptoms again and will be getting my left ovary checked as I did have cysts, but they were not large.  Cysts are normal to have and they usually go away on their own, however I will not discount my present symptoms and have it checked once again.  So back to the question of how long is recovery........it depends on the severity and person.  
I am from San Antonio, TX. and on Dec 24th I went to Orlando Florida for the vacation. On there I felt so sick and a sever pain on my right side and lower belly. I went to the ER, and found a cyst of 6 cm. I was scheduled for a laparoscopic surgery on 26th. I had it. Now I feel so pain, and I have to get back to san antonio ASAP. I reserver a ticket on Dec31st. Would that affect my surgery?? I am so scared!  by the way I had to walk and drive for  two hours, and that left me a horrible pain.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE SIDE AFFECT OF THESE!!!
Thanks for the great posts.  I have been diagnosed with three complex cysts on my ovaries and I am having surgery to remove them on 1/17/2011.  What a way to start the New Year.  One is 7 CM and the other two are 4 CM.  I am ready to get them out and feel better.  A bit concerned about the laporatomy, but ready to feel better.  Any suggestions on do's and don'ts for this type or surgery.  Wondering on the recovery time based on previous posts.
I'm sorry to hear you've had to have surgery. That's no fun. When I was 21 I had both a 10 cm and 5 cm cyst removed (one on each over, dermoid). They had to take nearly all of my left ovary and it doesn't really function now. I was in college at the time and I had full abdominal surgery for it. Within 2 weeks I was back at school and never missed a day. I did take the time off from work though. One thing was enough. It took the full 6 weeks to recover, but I found that I was able to get up and around. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 or 3 days (I can't remember).
Now it's 2 years later and I have another dermoid and a regular cyst on the other ovary. I'll be going in for surgery again soon. Right now we're trying to see if there is any way for me to have it done laparoscopic rather than a full abdominal surgery again. I have a toddler (17 months) who is busy busy and I don't want to be down that long with her.
Best of luck and if you have any other questions please ask. Maybe I can answer them :)
Hi I am having  laparoscopic surgery on wed to remove a few cysts,some scaring from a super patial historectomy,and they also have to remove my felopion tubes.I am wondering how long before I go back to work part time, the thing is I drive and lift auto parts for a living. I am also going to school will finish in 7 wks :) they said i will not have to stay in the hospital i could leave the same day. also i have gained allot of weight was wondering if the fluid in my tubes and cysts could cause  this.and will i loose the weight in my belly?
This and the other thread (10 things I learned...) has really helped me! I'm having surgery to remove a dermoid on April 12. My doctor too said 2-3 days of recovery (using the DaVinci laparoscopy surgery), but I fear that is being too optimistic.

Here's my question... I work at home sitting in a recliner with a c-shaped pillow on my lap where I place my laptop (the "arms" of the c-shaped pillow are then my arm rests). It's very comfy, but it's still a sitting position.

Should I be comfortable sitting in this position a few days after surgery? I hear people saying driving was a problem, but is that because of the sitting position, the arm movements, or just being "dopey" from the drugs?

I have surgery on a Tuesday, and my plan is to begin computer work for 1-2 hours a day beginning on Thursday (just responding to any emails) and actually "return to work" for 4-8 hours per day on Monday. I'm lucky that I can set my own schedule because I work from home, so I'm just wondering what kind of schedule to set for myself.

PS: I'm now terrified of this whole "gas problem" that I've been reading about and that my doctor didn't say a thing about. I figured my abdomen would be sore, but now gas making my shoulders/chest hurt is worrying me!
It's been 2 weeks today since I had a ovarian endometrial cyst removed.
I CANNOT BELIEVE how doctors don't prepare you for recovery! I have had a hard time finding the right pain management; also, sleep cycle is messed up, and legs are cramping up due to laying face up because I cannot lay on my side. It is a challenging process, so make sure you are very nice to yourself, cry when you need to let it out and know that you are strong for doing so. The hardest for me, besides the pain and immobility, was relying on others and asking for time off of work. I guess it is a good time to reflect on your needs and expectations, and adjust them accordingly as your best advocate.

Here are some tips:

1. Prepare for "the day". I should have taken my anti-anxiety med (1 valium prescribed), but I didn't because I didn't think I could take a sip of water that day. I later found out I should have. If you have ANY inclination toward anxiety, I recommend you take it. I had anxiety attacks for hours before rolling into the OR.

PREPARE FOR THE DAY OF, POST OP.

***fyi- doctor says 2 weeks is "typical", but can take up to 4-6 weeks for recovery.

2. Make your room/home somewhere you want to come back to. For me it was candles, lavendar, water, an extra small nightstand, and necessities from list below.

3. Having these handy may help:
- Pillows, different sizes and firmness. You will be in bed a lot, and may not be able to turn to your side!
- Candles
- Water/drinks (not sugary or gassy. I got tons of teas)
- Sleepytime tea! And tylenol PM. Meds can keep you up.
- Peppermint tea and ginger lemon tea are good for nausea.
- Night mask, to cover up light or facilitate sleep.
- Magazines, books, movies, etc. I recorded a bunch of things On Demand.
- Face wash cloths, baby wipes, tissue, paper towels
- Lotion
- Apps are available to help you monitor your med use too - don't let that pain flare, it is a lot harder to rid.
- Flexistraws
- HEATING PAD!!!
- Make sure you have pads available
- Comfy, loose robes or bedshirts (no elastic band)
- Granny panties (I cut mine down middle with scissors
- Gas ex!!
- Bran muffins - good to have something in your tummy before taking meds too.
-  Access to light switch
- Prepared meals. Fruits and veggies seemed most appetizing to me, as was yogurt and granola.

I realize it is different for everyone - but I never expected it would be this difficult for me. Be prepared - it may really suck. I find myself grieving over it here and there. The pain is so distinct and unique, and it is difficult to communicate because because most people don't experience this. Just know that you are not alone in it.

After 2 weeks, I can stand and walk for up to 3-5 minutes at a time. I feel internal pain, like a 5 on a pain scale (to 10). There is a lot of discomfort and frustration. BUT it is better than it was before.

Thank you for everyone who has posted here. I would have thought there was something wrong with taking this long if I had not actually read what other women went through. Now if only doctors did the same...

And I hope this is helpful to others in return.
Hi I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. I just want to put it out there that not all recovery is as difficult as you had. I hope you are doing better now. I had surgery 1pm Tuesday and was home by 4pm weds. I had a 12cm endometrial cyst with adhesions and a d&c. My surgery was performed by a gyn/ onc who is the head of his dept at a university hospital so I don't know the experience of your surgeon. They did have me on a catheter and put compression machine on my calves to prevent clots. I also had a morphine pump which I controlled. They sent me home with my prescriptions which I could fill through my drive thru pharmacy (husband drove). Keep a pillow in the car to put between you and seat belt. Also helps to compress if you have to sneeze or cough. I was also given a stool softener for easier bowel movements which may not occur for a few days and I was put on a low fiber diet for the time being to make it easier. Stockup before hand with water, teas, apple juice, yogurts, and pre made meals or sandwiches are good for a few days but my doctor wanted me walking on the first day with assistance as to not fall. You need to walk but have assistance getting up and down walking prevents clots and breathing complications. This forum is great to get tips from those who have gone through it. Feel better soon. God bless.
hi everyone, glad there are sites like these to get news from, i think it really depends on the person cause i had a laparoscopy surgery that ended up having to be an open surgery to have a cyst removed from my right ovary and by the tuesday evening i was up and about walking i was home by thursday there's pain now and again but like i said it depends on the person my mom had the same thing done to years ago and she says it takes couple days up to a weak to heal but you should still always take it easy atleast thats what am doing to ease the pain.

have a gd one
Hi Everyone,

It is certainly great to know that I am not alone in this situation! I had never heard of endometriosis until six months ago when I had a ruptured ovarian cyst.  I have had severe abdominal pain since November of last year and finally, after having another cyst develop and rupture, I knew I couldn't put off surgery any longer.  I went in Thursday to the hospital and had my surgery finally about 9 pm Friday since I was an add on.  I finally got out of surgery at 11, although my doctor thought it would be a 30 minute procedure.  Thankfully, I didn't have to have anything removed, except the endo she could remove since some of it was on my colon (she didn't want to touch that and I'm happy she didn't!).

I am on my fourth day at home and still stuck on my couch, unable to sit upright or stand/walk for longer than a few minutes.  I thought that I was just being a big baby about this, especially since my doctor had told me I could return to work two days after the procedure!! My boss' wife informed me she had the procedure ten years ago and said that she was up and "running around" after three days; I'm sure this she remembers it this way because she is filling in for me at work and hates that!

I am just amazed that every one of us got told that a couple of days is the expected recovery time.  I got three incisions,  and a lot of bruising; I'm a 25 yr old woman in excellent mental and physical health so my doctor told me "this would be a breeze".  Boy was she wrong! I think that doctors should reconsider the recovery time they tell their patients, not only to prepare them for the recoup, but also so patients don't have the problem that I have-my boss has done his research (and listened to his wife) and doesn't see why I can't return to work tomorrow!!  It's just not fair to be thought less of because a doctor, who most likely has never had this surgery themselves, tells you you should be fine in a few days. My office now thinks that I am either a baby or milking this so I can get a few days at home.  Truth be told, I can't wait to get back to work! I'm tired of my couch and there's nothing on tv!

Sorry to ramble ladies, but I'm so happy to find that I'm not alone and that I'm not just being a baby about this!  I wish all of you that just had your surgeries a quick recovery and thank you for sharing your experiences because they have made me feel much better about not only the outlook, but about myself!
Hi!I just had a surgery 2 wks. ago.the Dr. removed my uterus and right ovary.Because I had a uterine fibroid,and ovarian cyst.And also the dr. found out I got endemetreiosis. I was an outpatient,And the thing done to me was laproscopic 3 wholes.and I can move now but not lifting anything heavy bec. they said recovery could be 4-6 wks.Hope everything would be fine for you so far I'm doing good.For 1 wk. I could go to the grocery store just don't work too much for 2 wks. or so bec. you might be easily tired.Just eat soup or crakers after your surgery and light food for 3 days bec. the anesthesia could affect you. And also you might experience upper back pain. God Bless!
Excellent info. I am scheduled for a laparoscopy in 2 weeks for Uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and possible endometriosis. I am so thankful to each one of you for all the info and tips you provided. I am a single parent of one...already made arrangements for my baby, however, I see there is quite a lot I was not aware of in terms of pre and post procedure. I feel a little anxious but much better on the inside knowing I am not alone and also have a clearer picture of what to expect.  I appreciate. I will keep you posted on how all goes.
3-4 weeks possibly? Oh hell no. I probably should push surgery (if need be) on a year when FMLA and short term are possible. Can't do no pay PTO days.
I just had laproscopic surgery on Tues June 7th (it is Sat).  They removed the right ovary, a 7mm cyst and the tube, drained another cyst on my left ovary.  I am having uncomfortable pain in the lower right side inside and was wondering if this is normal? It just started today.  The doctors didn't mention much about recovery pains and I am a little scared.

I did have the severe pain in the shoulder and chest from the gas about 24 hours in, it was the worst I have ever felt.  The heating pad recommended by the nurse helped ease it greatly. As did hot tea.

Thanks so much for you help!!

Carol
Just had surgery on June 2, 2011, had both ovaries removed.  This is day 11 and I'm feeling pretty good.  I have 3 small incisions, the  largest on my belly.  The pain on a scale of 1-10 is a 2.  If I do too much around the house I will have lower abdominal pains.  My doctors appointment was this past Thursday, after going down the 2 flighs of stairs and  walking more than 10 minutes I was sore and tired, but just felt good to get out of the house.  My doctor  will not release me for another 5 wks and I don't know how I'm going to make it.  She said the internal healing takes the longest, just make sure no to lift much within the first two weeks.  I hope this was helpful

bored2011

Don't judge yourself on what happened to others.  I had a laparatomy/salpingectomy (full open surgery, ectopic pregnancy, partial removal of ovary and fallopian tube).  The first day post surgery, I was rousted out of bed by the nursing staff and was on my feet, admittedly woozy at first.  I was walking a bit every day and released four days post surgery.  

I was on probation at work being a recent hire.  Within two weeks I forced myself to go back.  Fortunately I was able to sit and was covered by co-workers.  Your bosses wife may have had an easier time than you did because her surgery wasn't as complex.  Everyone is different in how they tolerate pain.  You've been through a major trauma and I hope that you are doing much better by now.  
Phew! my lap surgery finally happened on 6/13 and yes!!!...please listen to your body. They removed 3 ovarian cysts, endo and fibroids. They also told me I would be fine 3-5days, however I am still sore...recovering in the right direction but I am still not quite there yet. I had an awful experience when the nurse was trying to get my veins so they can run the iv and sedation process...it took 2hrs ( a total of 3 nurses and 2 anaestheologists) to finally get a vein after attempting shots on both arms and feet(auch!! this hurt so bad) :-( After the lap I could not pee and so I had a catheter for approx 24hr...was burning when peeing thereafter for a couple of days and had to go back to the hsp...tested and they said I had UTI.  Well, in a nutshell I did not have exactly what I would call a smooth transition, however, all is behind me now and I am living one day at a time and taking it easy...getting as much rest as I can. Walking around helps but sitting for long hrs is still a little bit of a strain.  By the look of things I will be back to work on 7/5/11 so please if you need more time, work with your doctor to get all the time you need before returning back to work.
....wish you all the best in your recovery. This forum has been very helpful in preparing me for the procedure and I sure hope I was able to help someone too and to know that you are not alone. The key is rest, rest, rest and return to work when your body is ready :-) Take care!!
Had my laparoscopy (single incision) to remove a 12 cm endometrioma this past wed 6/22. Today marks my 5th day of recovery and I'm finally feeling close to normal. I was in pretty bad shape (not mobile, in pain and nauseous) until just 2 days ago and then yesterday found myself feeling a lot better and actually able to get out of bed without wincing in pain.

Had I pushed myself I think I could have gone into work today (Monday) but am really glad I didn't as each full day of rest is making my body that much stronger and closer to normal. My recommendation is to do EVERYTHING exactly as instructed prior to the surgery (and yes that includes the horrific self enema). I quit smoking and drinking prior to the surgery so my body would be healthier and made sure to stop eating greasy foods.

Post-surgery I asked to stay a night at the hospital b/c of severe nausea and am glad that I did b/c I was watched throughout the night by capable nurses instead of panicking about every pain while at home. Pain and nausea were bad post-surgery but as others note, the gas was the worst but once it passed (literally) I was a lot more comfortable. Once I got home I slept a lot and laid in bed for 3 full days. Had no constipation thanks to the pre-surgery enema, healthy post-surgery diet and consumption of prunes. gasx also helped with remnant gas.

I still feel weak and tire easily but most of the pain has subsided to the point where I no longer need pain medication and I think by day 7 I will feel good enough to go into the office for at least half day. I plan to be kind to my body and not return to normal activity by at least another week or so.
Hello.  I just found this forum and would like to ask a question about the CO2.  I had a cyst aspirated from my right ovary in 98 using laproscopic surgery.  At the same time I had a cystocele/rectocele surgery.  I literally had no pain, took 8 weeks off from work and did nothing for the first two weeks, according to doctors instructions.

I now have another cyst on the right ovary.  It is still fairly small.  My gynecologist is pushing for the Davinci surgery, suggesting possible removal of both ovaries.  I am 69, been in decent health most of my life, until I was diagnosed with moderate to severe lung loss caused by emphysema and asthma.  Each time I go under general anesthesia I am in danger of losing some lung function.

I am between a rock and a hard place because I am on Medicare and Medigap.  I expect coverage changes to be made due to our economy so I am very tempted to have both ovaries removed shortly.  My question is, has anyone with lung issues had the surgery?  I am concerned about the CO2 and the effect it will have pushing on my hyper inflated lungs.  I do not want to find my breathing more compromised than it is now because of this procedure.
I would rather seek answers here before I discuss doing the surgery with my gynecologist.

Thank you for any answers you can give. :-)
i am 16 days post laparoscopy to remove my left tube. it was badly diseased, swollen with fluid and distorted with my endometriosis. i also had a blockage removed from my right tube. i was meant to be in surgery for 40 mins and ended up taking 4 hours. my insides are all co adhesed to each other with my endometriosis they couldnt even start to treat it. just filled my abdomen with a fluid to try and coat the organs to prevent any further sticking together and adhesions. am still on tramadol and now have a uti. have to try soon for baby and if not successful will be given referral in 6 months to fertility specialist. still in a lot of pain when the tramadol wears off. just getting tired of feeling so poorly. have had my for over 10years so its not like i dont know pain but i guess the news is just hard to hear and digest!!! but looking forward to trying for a baby!! lol :)
Thank you everyone for your helpful posts.
I am 24 years old and had a cyst and my left tube by lap (four incisions) removed on July 15. My surgeon stated my recovery time would be 10 days. I am an orthopeadic nurse and my job involves lots of lifting/pulling/bending over. I explained this to the surgeon and she still felt 10 days was plenty. I am terrified to do any damage especially long term damage. Do you think 10 day is long enough to recover to lift limbs and pull 200lbs people up in bed?
i had a large (8x7x8 cm) endometrioma type cyst on my left ovary. my laparoscopic surgery was on sept. 1st and my body does not feel ready to go back to work. they were able to remove the cyst and save the left ovary as well as remove smaller cysts i didn't even know i had on my right ovary. i woke up from the surgery curled up in the fetal position (why my body morphed into this position post surgery, i don't know. super uncomfortable to be sleeping on my side). the nurse asked if i was ready to get up and get dressed. i began dry heaving from the anesthesia. she put an anti-nausea sticker on the back of my ear which helped. my husband helped me get dressed and i had to be wheeled in a wheelchair to get to the car. the surgery was at 7:30 am and i was home by 1:00 pm the same day. vicodin helped with the pain the first 4 days (i would recommend taking a stool softener because vicodin can mess with your bowel movements) i began bleeding excessively (vaginally) 2-3 days after the surgery (it was day 16 of my cycle so my period was not due to arrive) and had to make a trip back to the ER. the doc put silver nitrate on my cervix, put me on an IV drip to get some fluids into my system, and prescribed aygestin to help with the excessive bleeding. the excessive bleeding stopped the day after the ER trip but i've basically had brown spotting after that (and they recommend maxi pads, no tampons). what i think of as my real period arrived on the 23rd day of my cycle (SUPER early and have never been so early). my doctor said sometimes the surgery can cause your hormones to go haywire and your first 1 or 2 menstrual cycles can be very unusual. my period is also filled with an excessive amount of blood clots (more than i've ever had pre-surgery). it's now 10 days after the surgery. i'm getting around a little better, able to prepare meals myself, stand for longer periods of time, sit up for longer periods of time. my body doesn't feel healed yet since i'm still in pain in my lower left abdomen. i agree with those who said that everybody is different. do not feel bad if it takes your body longer to recover than you thought it would. good luck to those who are going through something similar.
Can you tell us who your doctor is? I just moved to Boston and need to find a good endo surgeon to remove more endo and adhesions from a past laparoscopy. Thanks!
I just had the surgery and seem to be recovering well and comparing my notes to the posts above. Strange question, but my boyfriend and do the distance relationship and he is coming home for a week, which will be 2 weeks after my surgery. My questions is about sex and if to wait, or what issues may or may not arise?
Hi, thanks a lot for all these contributions. I just had a  non-functional ovarian cyst of 6-7cm diameter discovered in Europe and I was told that it needs to be removed asap. I live in Boston and so I am wondering if you could recommend on the forum or off-line some of the best doctors in Boston for this surgery. Or recommend a way to figure out which docs are excellent at this? I have no idea on who to ask.

Somehow my regular doc in Boston did not find this cyst even in regular check ups, although it must have been there for years according to the European doc, so I am a bit sceptical about going back to my regular doc for the surgery in Boston. The problem is that in the Eu they are saying that the chances of keeping the ovary is very slim with such a big cyst.

So, I am wondering if any of you have some thoughts  or recommendations about trying to find a very good surgeon around Boston and if my assumption that a top surgeon could help keep my ovary is a reasonable hypothesis.

One other point. If I do the surgery in the EU, I will have to take the plane a week or so after, which might be very hard on the body according to what I am reading here. Did any of you go through this? Any advices on this would be appreciated as well. Many thanks for in input. I am very scared by this procedure (I am young and have a hard time with general anesthesia).
she had laprascopic ovary removal 8 days ago and is still acting lik she is in severe pain and just laying around doing nothing. should I be concerned?
I had surgery 9 days ago and I am also in pain still.  It ranges from dull aching pain to severe sharp stabbing debilitating pain.  The healing time can be anything from 2 weeks to 4 months or more to get back to normal.  It is important to be mobile but definately not to over due it.  I am going back to my doctor tomorrow to ask about my pain.    
Yes.. about 2 years ago I felt a surge of estrogen like I was getting ready for a period. The weight gain and bloated never went away. Just had my ovaries removed a few weeks ago and have already lost a few pounds and the bloating in stomach and breast. Waiting for more to come off. I am menopausal so it isnt easy losing weight at any age but much harder as you age.
All year I suffered heavy menstrual cycles,ended up having a D&C in july- 2 months later hemmoraghed again- I went to another doctor-(to get a second opinion) to find out I had a cyst the size of a golfball on my right ovary along with endometriosis. I just recently had laporascopy surgery- and had my right ovary taken out and ablation done for the endometriosis. It took me 4 days to recover- I still am sore.....The surgery was done on december 2nd......I would say the worst part of the whole procedure is the nitrous oxide they put in you to get to your organs- cause that was the worst pain- having so much gas- I was told to walk around and move- to help with the gas.....And if you have a doctor and feel he/she is not fulfilling your issues- PLEASE get a second opinion!!! I`m glad I did! I feel so much better, and I don`t look preggo anymore either! :-)
I have severe acne and I swear my face never looked this bad but after reading your post I see the cyst is what caused it
Just had surgery on Wed December 28th and was up and going on the 29th.  Had a 13cm cyst on my ovary that was being fed (gross) by a vein from my ovary.  Totally gross sorry.  They made 5 incisions, (not happy about that) but happy that it was not cancer.  The worst I felt was that I had done about 5000 sit ups, nothing else.  My incisions are sore but that is all.  Today is Monday Jan 1st and I cleaned out the garage and feel great!  I think it has a lot to do with the persons health AND the dr.   Good luck to you ladies and God Bless
Good day ladies,

I had surgery removed my right ovary and the dermoid cyst  on Dec, 21 2011 and today is Jan, 4th. Let me tell you sth, before my surgery, I read a lot of info about surgery, recovery time, pain, pregnancy ... The day of my surgery I was really relaxing and not scarred caus, I have all info.  The 1st day of my surg, I only had nausea no pain at all. I have really a wounderful Doc (obgyn). My obgyn, told me (no intercourse for two weeks cause there was few blood coming out of my vigina (vagina) actually for 4-days only then stopped), gave me Iboprofin, pain killer that will help me pain relief. I just took it the 1st day just in case, that is it. No pain I could even go to bathroom sit on the toilet of course my husband helped me to get up from bed not to stretch my muscele and walk to the bathroom. on my 3rd day I could walk on the stairs the 5th day, start cleaning kitchen and doing minor stuff like making a coffee. I went back to work on my 11th day. the only thing I don’t do  is not to walk fast,  no lifting, no bending.  Amazingly, I had a clear, ovulation which I have never had it before. That means my left ovary is really functioning excellent I am glad about it. Hopefully pregnancy is next step. 

I hope this info will help you a lot as I got informed from all of you who posted a head of me.
Good luck ladies.
Wow... These stories are so encouraging. I found this forum about a week ago  and I'm happy I joined. I didn't even know I had 2 large cysts on my ovaries until I ended up in the hospital in August. My gyn monitored me and put me on bc pills to see if they would shrink, but they only got larger so I had them removed via laparoscopy on December 30th. The procedure took about 4 hours because my gyn also had to separate my ovaries (the adhered together due to the endometroisis). She prescribed some pain medication but to be honest I haven't taken it because whatever pain I have felt has been tolerable. 4 days later, I'm back at work and although I still have some difficulty lifting things and my stomach feels a little sore, I think I'm doing ok.
Hey all.... Just reading over these posts.... Can anyone tell me how long you bleed for after a d&c and draining....through laparoscopy .... Of endometriosis cyst in ovary..... After which I was put on the hormonal pill (for 3months continuous) to stop ovulation altogether.... That was last October 27th....2011... And I am bleeding almost everyday since....I have rang the hospital twice and spoken with doctors that tell me it not unusual to bleed for the whole of the 3months.... Has anyone suffered bleeding for this length?? I am so fed up at this stage..... am not due to go back to see the consultant until 20 th jan 2012,....
Hi i am tweety and i have to thank u all for your comments and statement  it  gave me a  lot of insight  on my case well as u all should know i will be having  the laparoscopy done on jan 23 @ 8:45 am  which  they said it would be a in and out  kind of deal  but i know better tho  i've  had  one  part  done  before and stay in the hospital  for  a week  cus i was sick with a temp.  and  now  its 22 years later  i am going back again to have the ovary remove because like the first person said they try u on bc pills which made  a  big  problem for me  because i  now  look like i am 2mo. i am restless all day long i don't know  how all this is going to work out for me cause i  have  a  intravertebral disc  disorder  with myelopathy and radiculopthy  of  the  right  side of my body and  bulging disc also in the l5-s1 of my lumbar  so i have a walker  i have to walk with  so its going to be a trying time for me . so if any one  every had this kind of issue going on in there life  plz let me know  how it works out  but i am a soilder of  god and i will looked  to him for  all my help and needs to get me thourgh these trying time  i my  life .  but i wll keep u posted  when i can about how it went  for me. I will not be at home i have to stay with someone who can take care of  me until i am able to do my self  once again my walking is impair so its going to take me some time i know i wil  be a piece of work  for them .
Hello!
last week i had Fibroid open surgey, every thing is normal. i am feeling fine. The weather is vey cold my husband want to do sex. i said wait for 6 weeks......... what can i do?.........after Fibroid open surgey when it's okey for sex? pls. give me right suggetion.
That's a great question. I had a laparoscopy on Dec. 30th and I've been bleeding ever since as well and it worries me. 3 months? That seems kind of long. Anyone else have any experience to share?
To "saritangp",
I am sorry,  to hear that you had fibroid surg, for the question, I highly recomand you to talk to your doctor, when is a good time for u to have a sex. and tell your husband that you don't want to be in hospital again with any pain because, u r only on the first week of rcovery it is not an easy like he thinks. sometimes men don't understand what women going through. Your health is number one.

I hope you will recover very soon.
Hi All
thanks for the great stories and feedback...
i have just had my 8th pelvic ultra sound and my first one i had a syst and was due to have surgery to remove it and went back for another scan it went away..
I had another ultra sound last week and i have 2 more systs now
which i am going to the gyno shortly in couple weeks.
Dont seem bad but there is some fluid in one which they are not sure off
and i am only getting my periods for one day now and no pain or anything like that... Has anyone has similar let me know
thanks RJ
have u went back to the doctor  and say something  to them cuz u should not be bleeding that  long  its only suppose to be for a week and then its suppose to light up each week and gone before the 6 weeks is up. that is what i did a long time ago . i pray for your  health to be  heathy and strong keep me info.
i had my laparoscopic surgery last august 2010 to removed my gallstone an 8 stones w/ 3mm diameter. Yes it's true 3 days i already walking around as part of my recovery. After 30 days i am already dribbling a basket ball in our backyard.  i am 45 years old and i felt another 45 of fruitful years ahead.  
Hello

I am 18 years old and had a laparascopic surgery to remove an 8 cm cyst from my left ovary this past Monday. This week has been really really difficulty for me, and nobody prepared me for the recovery in any way! Doctors really do make it sound like it isn't a big deal, but during this experience I have come to understand that there really is no such thing as a 'small procedure'. Certainly not based off of this surgery, because I was told it was no big deal and could return to school 2 days later.

The long and short of it is, it has been a full 8 days since my surgery and I am only just starting to feel improved today. it didn't help that I got the surgery during the last week of my school semester. All of my big assignments are due tomorrow and I also had to do several presentations! I could barely move until Friday despite walking as much as I could. I was in quite a lot of pain all week, my back and neck are an absolute wreck from not being able to use the muscles much. The pain from the CO2 in my chest and shoulders absolutely awful. The pain from that finally went away after almost a week. I agree that hot packs are EXTREMELY helpful and comforting on your lower back, neck, shoulder, chest, etc. Walking was torture but my Mom forced me to walk around during the first few days.

I would say my top recommendations are;
DRINK A LOT OF WATER. Any of the hot fluids already recommended are good.
Do some deep breathing if you can, that is helpful with the gas
Walk as much as you can, even though it's hard and painful and you'll likely be very short of breath
DEFINITELY STICK TO A HEALTHY DIET. To my surprise, my appetite returned voraciously after no food for one day. I satisfied every food craving and really over-ate. Big mistake, this added to my bloating I believe. Try to eat sparsely and healthily as much as you can until your strength returns to you. It's been frustrating having to stop taking long walks and doing Pilates this last week. The best thing to do when you find yourself bloating or gaining weight, I have found, is to NOT PANIC. It sounds like I'm not alone with the expanding middle here.
Keep an eye out for fever!

If you are awaiting surgery for the first time, I feel like I can safely say the 3-4 day thing isn't so likely. Play it safe and plan to have at least a week off from school or work. This is just based off of my experience so far, I can't believe I thought I could return to school right after my surgery. I'm only 18 and this was my first surgery, I just want to share my own experience and cannot believe I am only just finding this thread! I wish I had read all of these a week earlier, wow. I will definitely be recommending it to people in the future. Thank you everyone for you input :) Doctors can be misleading sometimes so this is really encouraging.
Totally agree. When I was released after my surgery, my discharge paperwork said I could resume normal activity after 24 hours. So I went back to work after 3 days. Big mistake. Not only did it probably prolong my healing, but my gyn yelled at me (in a good caring way of course). Then wrote me a don't return to work for a week note for my employer.
This site has been an absolute god sent for my sanity! I went to my doctor for years complaining of stomach fat that would not go away, on again/off again constipation & really thick facial hair on my chin. I was told for years I was over eating, prescribed Meridia at one point to help surpress my appetite (since in her opinion I obviously had no self control) & basically was told that it was up to me...eat right/exercise & I would loose the weight. More than SEVEN years I have struggled with my abnormally large belly (in comparison to the rest of my body). More than seven years of feeling like a failure....In January 2012 my stomach was so big I looked like I was 9 months pregnant with triplets. I was constantly being asked when I was due. I fell on my stomach in October & after that my belly seemed to grow from six months to at the end 9 months pregnant in January. I went to my doctor so she could feel how rock hard my stomach was...that I had serious concern. To appease me she gave me a referral for an ultrasound. That was the first week of January 2012-I couldn't book an ultrasound appointment until the end of February! One entire month..God bless my mother...she refused to take no for an answer & took me to the emergency. I was fortune enough to have a Dr in emergency listen to me...and I mean really listen to me. He did an ultrasound & couldn't find any of my organs! The reason? I had a 70cm long-28 cm wide & 27 cm deep cyst covering my entire abdomen. It was filled with fluid & in his words was "a massive tumor". I was shocked, scared...he said something about possibly being cancer..at this moment I started to cry because..I am a single parent...and also a foster parent. I love my foster children as though they were my very own & immediately started to fear what would happen to them if I had cancer....Long story short...it's scary when you first hear you have a cyst. I was absolutely mortified something that big was in my body. I was fortunate enough to have a diagnosis/cat scan/all my necessary blood work/a surgeon meeting & surgery within 12 days of finding out I had a cyst....I was in shock/despair...I mean...I was planning what to do for crazy hair day at school with the kids next week..not get ready for surgery?!?!? I had three doctors say they would have to do the horizontal cut down the middle of my stomach....I met with the amazing surgeon who said....Why don't we try draining this cyst first & remove it from a small bikini line cut? I could have kissed him on the spot! I did have my left ovary removed as well....and the hospital stay was three days. They took six litres of fluid from the cyst! I have lost 23 pounds in six days.

My advise-get up & move! You will heal faster & rid  of gas. My regrets are as follows:

1-When they said I could push the button to self medicate any time-I shouldn't have listened. I was high-what did I know? I pushed that button every five minutes......It caused horrific constipation because I had way too much and at one point lowered my blood pressure.

2-Don't go off the pain medication too quickly...after day two in the hospital I wanted off all the "heavy" pain killers & switch to the "light weight" stuff like tylenol 3. I had horrific cramps from gas pains & constipation-diarrhea. Luckily I had a nurse that said to me....Take it just one more time..at least it will stop the diarrhea & the pain.

3-I wish I had peppermint extract/peppermint tea/a hot water bottle & gas x for the horrific gas pains.I had such a large space left from the removal of the cyst it was like a propane tank-literally.

4-Constipation & diarrhea will ensue...I wish I was prepared by having more natural remedies for the constipation so that I didn't end up with horrific painful diarrhea. I was given two extra strength ex lax & milk of magnesium....I was in horrific pain for 17 hours straight!

My surgery was six days ago...I am grateful to say I have no cancer, that I made it through & am on the other side of the surgery. I am optimistic about getting back a life that I have been robbed off because of that massive belly...and I am incredibly grateful that others shared their stories...It helped me feel like I was not alone.I feel compelled to tell my story..especially for anyone that has one the size mine was.
Im having my surgery march 12 which is my 30th birthday. Guess i want forget this one.  But they are going in to see if i have endometrioisis and also they are going into my bladder to see if i have I.C. ( interstitial cystitis).  I worried cause im been in so much pain for a lil over a year.  Has any of you heard of the I.C.?  This worries me since my husband is being deployed in 60 days :( and I have 4 daughters.  
Hi Love_Holland!  I love Holland too!  Been there 7 times.  :-)  I have interstitial cystitis, so I can tell you a bit about it. It was first diagnosed in 2000, but I recall having symptoms in the 90's, but no one was able to make a diagnosis (pelvic pain, blood in urine samples, but I never ever had an UTI.  I also had irritable bowel syndrome, which can go hand in hand with IC). I was diagnosed via during a procedure in 2000 via camera inside bladder (installed urethrally) Received hydro bladder distention treatment while under general, and also received laparoscopic exploratory surgery, where they found Endometriosis and lasered it off.  Bladder treatment was VERY successful for me - lasted 10 years!  I was so happy to be in remission for 10. whole. years!!!  However, having I.C. means your body gives you mixed signals and bladder lining (mast cells) get damaged.  

In 2010, I actually had the first UTI in my life.  LONG story short, the idiot Physicians Assistant, Carol, at West Linn Women's clinic DENIED ME MEDICATION, and I ALMOST DIED because I ended up with such a severe Kidney Infection.  She almost killed me!  She recognized that I had an infection, but wanted to send of the urine specimen to get a culture prior to giving me meds.  Well, 3 days later I was getting toxic with the start of a Kidney Infection.  I told her something was wrong, and she still denied me meds as we were going into a 3 day week end.  I actually thought I had the flu - pain from head to toe and major fever.  Got so bad that every fiber of my body hurt - I could barely get out of bed to drive to the E.R.  ANYWAY, that Kidney Infection caused my I.C. to flare up again.

I had flare ups off and on for the last 2 years until I got another Kidney Infection (again thought it was the flu, but caught it after it had barely started) November 2011.  I have been in horrible pain ever since.  Bladder and pelvic pain.  I have 2 small Uterine Cysts.  I also have an Endometrial Polyp.  I started to do some Heparin Bladder Infusing Treatments which helped.  It is an in-office procedure where they numb your urethra and inject about 30?cc's of Heparin into the bladder.  You retain it in the bladder for 2 hours if you can.  It is a very calming and soothing treatment.  A series of 6 weekly treatments is recommended.  In January 2012 I had another Hydro Bladder Distention procedure done (day surgery and only under general for 1 hr).  I was very painful after I woke up.  The following week I decided to start Heparin treatments again.  I have had 3 since the hydro distention.

So now I will be doing Endometrial Polyp removal D and C sometime later in March.  There is talk that they will do Laparoscopic Endometrial lasering or something at the same time. I will find out more on my March 15 appointment.

Sure hope you found this information helpful!  Hang in there!  You WILL feel better!  :-)
The moral of the story is: ALWAYS urinate when you feel the urge!  Do not ignore that feeling!  Otherwise, you can end up with a Kidney Infection. Avoid acidic foods that irritate bladder lining.  DO NOT drink cranberry, citrus, avoid tomatoes, spicy food, etc.  if you suspect you have Interstitial Cystitis!  Wine, coffee, chocolate etc can be the trigger foods for some people.  I highly recommend going here to learn more: http://ic-network.com/   Here is an excellent list of what to eat and what not to eat:  
http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

I am now dealing with another bladder issue: my bladder is not emptying properly, and I do not even know it!  I pee and I think that I have an empty bladder, but we discovered at the Urologist office just prior to Heparin treatment (nurse will aspirate urine from bladder before infusing Heparin), my bladder retains 100-200ml of urine.  :-(  Something isn't right.  Going to Urologist this week to see if we can start investigating.
thank you for all the incite.  Hope all goes well with you and you appointments. Good luck and Thank you again.
In July of 2009 i had a cyst removed that was the size of a grapefruit. not really any pain or anything. but, i was out for 6 weeks. idk if my doctor just wrote me off since i had short term disability or what... but, this time i talked to my new gyno on thursday 3/8/12 and he told me that i should be able to go back to work by the next week.. this is absolutely insane. i have been pretty much bedridden since surgery. i live a lone so i have to get up to eat or whatever. but, the only way i am comfortable is laying down, how do i mention this to my doctor? I am eligible for short term disability from my employer... and i sit all day in a call center. which sitting is extremely uncomfortable.does anyone know how to bring this up to my doctor? because i know that the company can refuse your short term disability if the dr does not fill out the paperwork correctly... i dont think me being stressed is helping the pain at all either.  
Often your gyno/surgeon can only write you off for a week or so, but your GP can extend it. You will probably need a trip to your GP before you are due back to work. If you are in a lot of pain and struggle to sit as your job requires, I cant see you not getting some more time off. Just be honest and let him know your employee is very strict with paperwork so he knows to double check everything is correct.

If you had the same type of surgery as in 2009 you will know approximately when you will be fit to work again, let your doctor know.

Good luck.
I had my laposcopic surgery a few hours ago found out something i wasnt expecting.  Found out that my left fallopian tube has grown to my intestins and that with me having a tubal i had fluid built up in my tubes and they found hemorrages in my bladder and took them out.  I'm in alot of pain but at least now we know what is wrong. I go back in 2 weeks to start fixing the I.C. what fun.  Wish me luck
well, here it is 4 weeks later and i am experiencing pretty bad pain in the area where my ovary once was... they are going for a ct scan on weds. but, they keep telling me i should not be having this much pain. i cant even sit for any period of time w/out getting shooting pains or even laying down this past friday night. i was hurting so bad i was crying. its not constant but, its daily. anything i can do/say to make sure my doctor understands that I am not just crying wolf?
Hi all, ,thanks for all your supportive stories. I went for a surgery last Monday (02/04/12) to remove ovarian cysts. I've been living with severe period pain for the past 10yrs. My doctor suggested a laporotomy as it would increase the chances of pregnancy in the future. There were cysts in both my ovaries. My doctor has also given me 2months medical leave to heal and recover fully, which I think is necessary. My hormones will be suppressed for 6months to stop ovulation and after that I'm good to go. I'm recovering quite fast as I'm resting well,eating well and taking additional supplements to speed up my recovery rate. Hope to get back to work soon.
I recently had my Laparascopic surgery due to Endometriosis. I was told that if was really bad i would need a Hysterectomy. Thank God they were able to get the Endometriosis. No Hysterectomy ;) I no that it will eventually com bak. The pain is still there from my incisions, but getting better as time hoes by. Now my ?  Is. I was told how not to do any kind of heavy lifting o strenuous activities. But wen can i resume Sexual Activities??? Does anY 1 nO? Please help really like to no. Thank YoU ladies n also forgive my forwardness.
OMG!  I am glad you are okay now.  That is terrible to have such a huge cyst and no doctors to want to take care of it.  Your angels had that ER dr listen.  So glad you were able to keep most all of you "parts".  I just got out today of surgery.  I had cysts on my ovaries and a small spot burned off for endemetriosis.  I am 38 in August and a newlywed (almost 1 yrs now).  My hubby is 2 yrs older than I and no previous marriage or kids.  I was married for 10 yrs prior and have a 13 yr old boy.  My husband and I are trying to conceive.  I am glad they didn't remove anything.  They did however say I had a tumor on the outside uterus near the right tube but doesn't block anything.  They ran that blue dye through the tubes to assure they flow.  However, he didn't remove it because he said it was not cancer but he NEVER took a biopsy!  He also said if he removed the tumor it would cause infertility problems and just wants to ultrasound it in 6 months.  Have you or anyone reading this had or have a tumor.  I am thinking of a second opinion because I don't want it to be cancer and then spread and really can't have any more kids.  Thank you for your time.
I had a laproscopy  & hysteroscopy on Monday. They found some severe endometriosis & cysts. The cysts were removed and the endometriosis was partially cautherized. ( they left the parts on my bladder to avoid bladder injury) It is now Wednesday-I have reduced the painkillers, and aside from some fatigue & slight belly pain, I am fine. I plan to go to work tomorrow. I think it depends on your surgeon's experience and your own ability to recover. For all the criticism the Canadian medical system gets, i had  a great experience and feel fine. Good luck to you all. I am glad I went ahead with this procedure, as the ultrasound had suggested a blocked tube due to PID. As it turns out, my tubes were fine, but i did have endometriosis. Better to know.
I had my cystectomy on April 23. They removed a 15cm from my right ovary and a 6 cm from the left.

My question is: How has your fertility been impacted by this procedure?

According to my gyno/oncologist, the masses were there reason we have not been able to conceive; the abnormal cells were inviting antibodies to fight off foreign substances, including sperm.  He believes that now that the masses are gone, I should be able to conceive quickly.  I'd like a women's opinion! ;)

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advise?

Around 3 weeks ago and was struck with intense pain on my left hand side. I couldnt walk with it so I went to the doctors who said she was scheduling me in for a scan and gave me some painkillers. She did say if the pain continues call her and she will rush me through to the hospital. Less than 24 hours later I was admitted into hopsital. The scan shows a cyst on my left handside and I was put down for emergeny surgery. They prepared me incase I had to have my left overy removed. Fortunately this did not happen. I had a lapaorscopy which has left me 4 scars. After surgery I suffered terrible pains from the CO2. I was in hospital for 6 days has I also had a lung infection.

My job is extremely demanding and I was advised by the doc in the hospital to take a week off. I went back however to work due to short staff. I do have a office job and I found being sat down was extremely uncomfortable and sore. So much so that when I was walking around I felt like I am was about to pass out. I returned to the doctor as I started to have pains again this time on my right hand side. It also hurts when I finsihed  urinating.  I went back to the doctors who said I have over done it and signed me of for 2 weeks on bed rest. She also tested for a water infection- which came back fine. She changed my painkillers. Now nearly 3 weeks after my surgery the pain seems to be getting worse rather than better. It still hurts after I wee- is this normal. The worse pain is when I sit up. I am hardly sleeping due to being so uncomfortable. I am going to go back to the doctors. I am just wondering if any of you have go through the same? Is this all part of the recovery process?

Any help would be appreciated.

AM
I just want to say that I went into hospital last Tuesday and came out the same time and when I got home of the night I was tired but I still managed to put some washing in the washer and then the next day I was back to normal doing my 3 kids and husbands tea and my husband went mad cause I was supposed to rest but when I rested it made me feel worse cause all I was thinking about was the operation.I went into the A&E yesterday because of my stitches and I was told that they would dissolve and they said that I had an infection and gave me antibiotics and they told me to ring my gynaecologist in the morning cause apparently his secretary doesn't work on a Monday so I did as they said and the secretary said she couldn't get me in till August but if it was about my stitches she will get  him to ring me in the morning so I rang my own doctors instead and they told me to come and see the nurse and my own doctors and when I went to see her she took the stitches out which is today and she told me not all stitches dissolve and the ones I had put in wasn't dissolvable and the don't always dissolve anyway and my gynaecologist at the hospital told me that they was dissolvable after the operation, A&E also told me that it could take weeks for the stitches to dissolve but my nurse at my own doctors told me no and she took them out and now I am okay and got to finish my antibiotics.This happened to me when I first had a laproscopy 11 years ago before I had my children and I had pains up my leg and because the nurse told me that they was dissolvable I believed them then and I ended up going into hospital again with an infection and being told they wasn't dissolvable, I wish doctors and gynaecologists would make up there minds so please if any of you have sore stitches and they say that they are dissolvable sometimes its best to get it checked at your own doctors instead cause you could end up having bad pains in your legs and an infection xxxx
I had my robotic laperoscopy on last thursday and I'm much better today.  I'm walking and driving  short periods.  I'm sleeping a lot though.  No pain meds now, not even motrin.
Hello, I am a 22 year old and I have recently had pelvic pain. I went for an ultrasound and they found a cluster of ovarian cysts on both my ovaries. My doctor said they are follicular cysts and when I start my menstural cycle these cysts grow larger and more form. This was in April, as a result he told me to go on birth control pills to cut out my cycle. Now it is May and I am still on the birth control but my pain is still severe enough when my cycle comes. Last night I have to go to bed because it was so bad, and this morning I can't even go to the washroom because the sharp pains are that bad. Endo runs in my family and I asked my doctor if I can be referred to a gynie and he said to wait 3 months and try the birth control first. Although in my doctors words, my ovaries look like chocolate chip cookies.... What is you opinion and has anyone had the same situation? Also, should I just get pregnant?
My aunt had the same thing done about 12 years ago. She had been having pains and went for the tests they found the cysts and removed them. Before hand she had been trying to conceive for 11 years and was told she could not. About 7 months after the surgery she conceived her first child. And now 11 years later she has 3 children. I believe you shouldn't have a problem, it may take longer than usual but you will be able to conceive because the doctors also found that my aunt had endo and it never stopped her. I hope this information is helpful for you. Good luck.
wow! lots of variable responses on recovery and complications....I have a lap sx scheduled in a few weeks to remove 13 cm ovarian cyst/benign and uterine polyp...recovery expected to be 2 weeks...I'm hoping this is the case...I'm 45 and extremely active, run 20 miles/wk, bike and work as a Physical Therapist...will see....
I just have a cyst removed the size of a tennis ball on June 15th and I desk great otherwise. I took me a good week to start feeling better but I have a "personal" question to ask you ladies its been almost 2 weeks now and what the doctor said is light bleeding has turned into like a period bleeding.g and I was.wondering I'd this has happened to any of you ladies and if so euro it stop at a point.....I'm moving from Wisconsin to California on .friday and I am just worried I have a serious problem. Thanks gals
In year 2005, I was obsessed with reading medical science and nutrition books at the library for 3 and half years. And ignored my lower abdomen ovary pains, as I was too busy reading each day. As days went past, there came a moment, as I was walking with kilos of books in my arm home, I felt my abdomen suddenly have zero feeling ( my brain released natural pain killers to the internally ruptured bleeding ovary). I touched my abdomen, and said this is no good, it feels like i cant sense half the existence of my torso, something must be wrong. It was near my birthday, and i started having heart attack experiences, after extremely sharp pains attacking my ovary region, i dont recall how many times i ended up in emergency, cos all they did is, send me back home. apparently they dont look after female organs.

So later on my GP organized Gyno, and found an excellent one, But it cost 6 thousand dollars, and had to urgently withdraw from my superannuation, whilst screaming in agony each time my ovaries striked pain, so i can have surgery at private hospital, as public hospital did not care. on my birthday, i nearly died, from internal bleeding from 5cm ovarian cyst, maybe it was larger, and it went all over the tummy cavity, who knows... But my gyno at last saved my life, through key hole laparoscopic surgery, only 2 incisions. and small. near pubic bone on sides.. they did pump me with some gas apparently to lift the skin up, to see organs, i had no shoulder pain at all. but my appendics was removed during this ovary cysts removal at same time, so i got home.

and next day, i got up, in extreme pain, had to go to police station, to get them to sign copies for superannuation, etc; and they thought i got shot in tummy, they felt sorry, i said its ok, i just had surgery, i was breathless sweating... Then from my knowledge i recall only fully recovering after 8 months.... now it is 2012, and  from my memory since 2010 i think, my ovaries started playing up again, i was given nuvaring(contraception) to stop creating new eggs, but i had other cycts in there gyno did not remove, i wish he did. he did say i lots a lot of blood and im lucky to be alive... he also said lose weight, which i did after learning so much of reading at library about nutrition before the event, lost 20 kilos of 3 months eating healthy raw food, and not eating certain food.

So, now iam having hardcore severesharp pains again, i know what it is, same ordeal... if i ignore it, same crap will happen, and so i started searching for gyno who will operate same incision rather then huge cut on my stomach, ( my gyno resigned) iam sick and tired of being a female, and having disabling ovary pains that stops me from sitting, my university studies are affected, my life is affected, i wish they removed it, so i could be free.... it breaks my heart for all the female sufferers in world. i on top of this have bulging disc touching exiting nerve root, plus moderate scoliosis, plus 2 separate joint facet arthoparthy's, and im always in pain, im young, i feel like im going to die soon, i live alone, and last year my sister told me, she will never care for me, she is 16 years older then me, i have done nothing to her, im youngest in family, i wish i had magic wand to ease away my pains, and continue my studies, so i work for the helping humanity, my studies are so important, and my body is failing me...

if cysts are large and they need to rupture cant they rupture and get over and done with it, and heal on their own? i guess not, cos not long ago when i stood up, i go blind for a while before i can see, must be losing blood, and feeling cold, and so pale. i wish there was care in public hospital where they did not ignore the most important human civilization organs that keeps us humans living on earth, how can they say its not there interest. and why do they have to use training students to operate on me? :,(
I had surgery last week July 19 , for removal of endometriosis and right ovarian cyst,  I would like to ask when should I start using the vitamins you have recommended and the natural progestelle.  And do you have any idea on what is the success rate of conceiving naturally after these operations.
Hi! so glad to know you are so well informed... I had an emergency laparoscopy done on monday july 16th because of a 7cm chocolate cyst I had on my left ovary ruptured suddenly. My entire abdominal cavity swelled and irritated. After the surgery, the dr. explained I had endometriosis "like little grains of rice spread all over" and that he had successfully removed the cysts I had on both ovaries (turnes out I had another smaller one on my right ovary) and left a good part of both ovaries in, but he warned me my recovery was going to be very slow and to take my recovery seriously, no going to work, no taking stairs, no heavy lifting etc. and put me on a diet. He said that my inflammation was going to settle in 2 to 3 weeks. Also, he found my fallopian tubes were swollen and infected so he had me on strong antibiotics for several days. I'm scared because I just got married and we both want to have a baby. The dr. says once I recover depending on the condition of my fallopian tubes we'll see what chances I have but what other healthy alternative do I have to recover and to regain the health of my fallopian tubes? I had my surgery a week and 4 days ago but my back still aches and sometimes I feel a little ***** inside but no alarming pain whatsoever so far. Oh, sometimes I do feel like a strange "fluttering sensation" like butterflies when I move or walk. Any info would be great thank you so much!
I had a...are you ready for this 45 CM (weighed 35 LBS) benign cyst on my left ovary. My doctor, nurse, and a friend (who is also an RN) told me to expect bleeding and/or discharging after surgery. Well, the bleeding came about 3 days after surgery and wasn't heavy and only lasted about 3-4 days. I have not had any bleeding since and discharging is very minimal. I am now 4 weeks post-op and the only thing is I have yet to have my period. The bleeding is normal from what I was told, although if it continues you may want to call just to be safe. Like they told me when I was discharged, call with ANY questions. NO question is foolish.
I had Lap done to remove 5cm cyst on my left ovary and they ended up finding a lot of endometriosis. When I woke up, all I could think was "OMG, I have to poop!" but that is just the pressure from the gas.My throat also hurt from being intubated for 3 hrs (my surgery took a while because of all the endo they found and removed). I would recommend bringing a cough drop with you, I didn't and the nurses had to search forever for one. Oh, and a pillow will be very helpful for your ride home. My abs were very sore the first day so to get up I just had to roll on my side and use my arm to push myself up. I also needed help the first day going to the bathroom as it was difficult to pull my undies down.
My doc said after the surgery the cyst was actually an endometrioma and the endo was stage 3. He was really surprised to find so much endo. He removed the endo and cyst and cleared my left tube which was blocked. I have to say that despite all that I really feel great at one week post op. For me, the lap was nothing to worry about. I am really pleased with my recovery, but I am sure my age (26) and fitness helps. I think I really could have gone back to work on the 4th day post op. I did return to work that day, but working from home. I won't go back into the office until the Monday after 1 week post op (surgery was on a Friday). I really believe that drinking lots of water and walking around as much as possible (slowly and with assistance) helped. My husband was such a fantastic nurse/caretaker and that made a big difference. For me, the gas was gone the day after the surgery. I think the walking made a huge difference with that. I just did a few laps around the inside of my house several times during the afternoon/evening when I got home from the hospital. And I gradually increased that as I started feeling better. Anyway, I hope you find this helpful!
So I realize that this post was started several years ago, but it seems to still be active so I thought I'd add my two cents.

In my opinion, there are three things that contribute to your recovery time:

1) The procedure you had done.  The difference between having a large or small cyst removed is a lot to your body, and having more done while you are under is going to slow you down.  

2) Your attitude.  It's been pretty well proven that patients who are optimistic about their recovery recover much more quickly than those who are pessimistic or apathetic.  Baby yourself for the first couple days, but then start slowly (!!) pushing yourself to do more each day.  For example, the third day after my surgery, I walked downstairs and down our slightly long driveway to get the mail.  The fourth day, I walked around the grocery store with my boyfriend, and every day after that I did something slightly more involved.  It's REALLY important to take it slowly though, because if you push yourself too hard at first, it will set you back.

3) Luck.  I have had 5 knee surgeries (the same procedure each time), and while it's not the same thing as a laparoscopy, I think the principle is the same: after 4 of them, I was back at school/work after 5 days.  However, for one of them, it took me much longer to recover.  Everything was exactly the same as the other four, from the procedure to the medications I was taking, but for some reason, I needed a few extra days to get back on my feet.  Sometimes you just have bad luck, or react badly to surgery, and you will take longer than you (or your doctor) expect to bounce back.  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.  If it's telling you to slow down, slow down.  And don't let anyone tell you that you're recovering too slowly-- it's YOUR body, and YOU have to take care of it.  It is much better to have a slow recovery than to do more damage to your body.

Your experience is not going to be the same as anyone else's, so use websites like this as a rough guideline, but be prepared for anything!  Even if your recovery is going slowly, be optimistic (I know it's hard!) and pamper yourself!

I agree, everyone's body is different. sonogram showed I had a 10cm cist on my left ovary.  my surgery was 9-26-12 wed at 7am it was a day surgery but because it was more than 10cm when they got in there. I was roughed up during surgery and I was allowed to stay over night. I woke in so much pain and the recovery nurse was trying to talk me out of staying against my doctors advice but I was happy i stayed. day 2 Thursday I went home. day 3 Friday i slept all day as well as Sat. by day 5 Sunday I had enough of being at home I went to the store walked around felt fine. Got home and threw up everything I had ate that day. So day 6 Mon I stayed home but day 7 was better. I been feeling good every since. It it now Oct 7th I go back to work Tuesday I feel great and cant wait to get back to normal. Today is day 12 and My belly button and my right side hurts the most but not a hurt like I cant bare it but a hurt like a healing cut nothing I cant deal with. Some times I forget I had surgery. I sleep on my belly but I could not do that till day 5. I feel like I could go running that's how well I feel. But I am not a runner. My point is after reading this before surgery I was so scared of what to expect but it was not as bad as some  of the stories I have read on here so everyone is different. I can say this before surgery I had a fat belly I had planned on getting smart lypo to get rid of but now my tummy is not as big and my weight before surgery was 164 today my weight is 153 cant be my diet cause while at the hospital I ate and I been pigging out everyday because there is nothing else to do but eat and watch tv LOL... My kids have been eating a home cooked meal almost every night last week and I dont cook like that anymore beside my kids are 19 and 20 years old. BUT BUT butt the constipation was a killer it was worse than the surgery... didnt have one till day 6 and I am still not right in that area... Good luck ladies...
Got a 6 cm ovarian cyst on my left side removed two days ago. Three incisions were made. The first day I was incredibly nauseous from morphine and anesthesia although I had no bleeding from my lady parts. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and felt a lot of pain in my shoulders from the air they pumped me with. It sucked.

Day 2 I felt less nauseous and primarily felt pain from the incisions although still some residual pain in my shoulders. Lots of bleeding from the inside but nothing a pad or three couldn't handle. Took Percocet in the evening and slept for twelve hours which was undoubtedly the best remedy for me. I ate lightly and only took pain medication in the evening and while going from lying down to sitting and sitting to standing was awful I survived.

Today I could eat regularly, if slowly and could go up and down stairs without hoping I could teleport from place to place due to pain. Primary pain is from my belly button and left incision. Able to move without major discomfort although bumpy car rides were awful and sudden movements sent jolts of pain. Was able to shower in relative comfort which was beautiful.

I think they say 2-4 weeks because while you will hopefully feel better relatively soon it's easy to tear stitches and over exert yourself thinking you're fine. I expect to feel almost completely better in a week but beware of heavy lifting although I've found gentle stretching to be beneficial. Try to walk after the surgery as it will help with the residual pain but don't push yourself too hard. I'd say a week of relaxing should be fine with a second week of just respecting your limits.

Hope that helps!
Just to add, I'm relatively young (22) and have a moderately healthy lifestyle. Small exercises and rest have helped me the most. There were no complications with my surgery but I would recommend bringing chapstick and a cough drop and buying something like biotene or any other otc product to help with dry mouth because my lips and throat were very sore. Good luck ladies!
Yes, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my small simple cyst, but it was entangled in my right ovary and I only had three small incisions. I'm so very SORE. God, my belly button hurts, but I also got a small infection in my belly button 9 days post op. I'm only 12 days post op now and this soreness is WORSE than the pain I had and I stayed overnight 1 night in hospital. May be I should take the mortin daily. Other side scares are healing very well and starting to dissolve finally!  

It also does hurt to bent over. Sit ups or getting OUT of bed just sitting up from laying down is so hard to do. I could hardly do that the night of my surgery, but I got sick and tired of waiting for a bed pan, so I just got outta bed myself. I couldn't wait longer than 15 minutes and I needed to potty so, I just bit the bullet. But I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to get outta bed aloe the first 3 days after surgery.

Since I dislocated my right hip when I was 13, it felt very funny (and difficult) to lay on my right side.  I always lay on my left side when I sleep. . .but laying on any side hurts my stomach. It must be the stomach muscles are not strong enough to hold up a body on the side since (now) I can lay on my belly and that does not hurt.  

I can't wait until Nov 15th since I will be 4 weeks post op then and I read that is when most women feel back to normal. Oct 18th was my surgery.
omg thanks a lot. im 20 years old college student. going to hv my first surgery this coming december. and the thing is the operation is on my revision week for upcoming final exam. my doc say i can be recover very fast and i consider to going back to college and take my final exam 2-3 days after the surgery. but i think i need to reconsider it back!
Know that everyone heals differently.  My doctor said I will only need a 3 day recovery period from my cyst/ovary removal coming up.
I  have my lap done on Dec 21 which gives me all weekend to recoup I was told by dr. I would be able to work on Christmas eve. That's what I'm eyeing for I have no other PTO time.  My dr says its a 2x2cm dermoid/complex cyst, but ER says its 4x4cm dermoid. i have no idea, but the pain can be so excruciating. It feels as though I'm ready to give birth at times. I will be praying for you all for speedy recoveries. Darn cysts, they are a curse. God bless you all.  I am so thankful for this website.  I debated about surgery for the size of it, thinking I'm a big baby but I know it can also grow and twist the ovary so.
I think the dermoid cysts need to come out.  You know what they are right?  They may have teeth, hair or fingernails in them.  That will not dissolve inside you. So you are not a baby and doing the right thing! :o)
I know they need to come out for what I've read.  It's crazy how they can have hair, teeth, nails in them.  yukkk   I pray you have a speedy, healthy recovery/surgery.  The things us women go through.   Gynsymptoms, thank you!!! I do pray that my son will help around the apt when I have it done.   Otherwise i'm on my own, but I do have my faith.  God bless.  :)  Keep us updated ...
I had surgery on Dec 6, 2012.  Had two endometrioma cysts conjoined (10cm each) and endometriosis removed.  First doctor said a min of one month recovery at home.  Every other doctor said 1-2 weeks tops.  First one was right!!  I am still home recovering... it's been grueling and so brutal.  I live alone and that has been so tough too.  I'm scheduled to go back to work this week... and, I am still having horrible symptoms.  Going back to the dr in two days.

My surgery was 4 hours long.  Dr. said it was very challenging but was able to save my ovaries.  I stayed one night in hospital but prob should have stayed one more as I could not get myself out of bed alone to go to the bathroom in the night after I got home.  Very scary.  I got conflicting advice... walk as much as possible... and, then no... you need to stay down.  I really felt like I was not prepared for the amount of pain I had and the extreme fatigue and sleeping on my back for a month unable to turn on my side was so hard.  I was hunched over walking and could not straighten up... too painful.  

Normally, I am an extremely active and fit girl... I take dance, practice yoga and play tennis everyday!!  So, this has been so frustrating for me.  I also had horrible bleeding two weeks ago... a huge mess and went through a pad every hour... and, no one here to change the sheets for me in the middle of the night. I don't know why I have had such a hard time... I cannot even understand those people who were back to work in a week!!  Is it because I had so much endo and cyst pain before surgery?  Is it because the surgery was so long?  I am extremely fit... so, it's frustrating... and, especially since I was not warned.  

It has been so hard to focus on healing and take care of house chores like laundry and dishes and cook.  I'm exhausted.  No one told me how swollen my belly would be and to prepare with any kind of loose clothing... I keep rotating the same three yoga pants and sweat pants that have loose bands.  My dresses are all at the cleaners now.  

Anyway... after 5 weeks, I still feel so very weak and very painful and unbelievably swollen breasts, fatigue, nausea and dizziness, headaches.  I tried to go to the store on Friday and almost fainted.  Driving in the car is still difficult.  I have been feeling very discouraged and had one friend call me a wimp.  That did not help my mindset at all! I guess not really a friend!!  

A few tips I can offer:
- have fridge and freezer fully stocked (thank God I did)
- use delivery services for groceries
- keep important phone numbers by your bed and in kitchen and bathroom
- keep bottles of water in every room with in reach
- use stools to put things you need near the toilet so you don't have to bend... like toilet paper and pads and such
- hand wash dishes so you don't have to bend to put in and out of dishwasher
- candles help soothe
- keep all charging cords close
- movies, and tv shows... books were hard for me to read til now.
- make notes in iPhone as to when took meds and appts.... my memory was affected by the anesthesia.
- Have friends come by... give them keys in case of emergency.  

I am so amazed at who has helped me so much and those friends I expected to help who disappeared.  I have only lived here for 2 years and I am very shocked that more of the men I know have come to help and very few of my women have been helpful.  Shocking to me.  

Anyway... I so wish I could write a pamphlet about all that I went through.  And, I feel like it will still be another 3 -4 weeks before I can get back to my physical exercise regimens.  

Best of luck to all of you who have had this surgery or going to ... I hope you all have much better experiences than me.  This has been truly grueling and so challenging and at times very discouraging.  But, I was glad to read that I am not the only one who had it rough.  I just wish none of us had to suffer like this.  

I would like to know how to heal endo with natural remedies. I did
laparoscopy, but they left a big endo scar tissue for fear of infection.
Natabelle hi, hope ur doin ok, pls can I ask - r u havin any chest pains? Or pains in ur ribs? I had 5 hour long surgery in oct to remove a dermoid cyst that had burst and im still not recovered. I had no idea I had it and They cut me 5 places and one big cut, scars healed but I have a lot of pain when I breath or even yawn. The docs can't find wat it is and I'm strugglig day to day. Bk at work full time but been in and out of hospital since the op. When I had the surgery I was in hospital for nearly a week. No one sEems to no wat these pins r and its really gettin me down. I live alone and totally lost my confidence with guys and can't even look at myself in the miRror without gettin upset.been takin tramadol for the ppain but it makes me sleepy and feel very low. I'm sick of bein prodded and poked and just want to no wat the pain is :-( Pls share if ur havin similar problems xfollowing the removal of ovarian cyst x
I just had a lap for exploratory reasons. Day one all I did was sleep and ate very little. Day two a lot of shoulder, chest, and side pain from the gas from the fact that your bowels slow down during surgery and begin to awaken. Day 3 still very sleepy, but able to do light chores like laundry and taking the trash out.
I'm 26 years old,i just had a 5.5cm dermoid cyst in my left ovary removed laparoscopically..I stayed overnight on feb.26 in the hospital for stomach cleaning and preparations for the next morning..at 8am on feb.27,the surgery started and i had no clue what could happen.The ultrasound about 4 months ago was telling that the size of the cyst was about 6.something so i really had no clue if it will be open surgery,if the surgeon will remove my left ovary.Then at 10:30am,i woke up and the surgeon told me everything is ok,he did laparoscopy and he removed only the cyst so i was really glad because i was really praying for that..I was brought back to my room then.my last meal before the surgery was 2pm of feb.26 and then i had nothing to eat until feb.28 breakfast but only tea and water..Then i had plain soup for lunch,boiled chicken breast and soup for dinner..That night,i couldn't sleep because i had a terrible pain in my neck and shoulders and i felt like stiffed.but that was manageable because the nurse kept giving me pain reliever and something for the stomach..The next day(March 1),at 12 noon,i was discharged from the hospital..My first night at home,the pain was so uncomfortable because of the gas.I felt that there's something roaming around my stomach.I tried pain reliever(nurofen) but it didn't help so much..So my boyfriend has to massage me until i fell asleep..In the morning,i felt the same.so i decided to go out for a walk to the park.Then i noticed that everytime i am moving,going for a long walk even if i walked so slowly like a real granny,i was feeling really better.when i arrived home,i was farting and burping so much.Then when i stayed doing nothing again in bed,i felt the terrible pain again.so my boyfriend decided to take me for a walk again.then,that night,i slept soundly without feeling any pain anymore because of gas.and now,March 4,i feel like i am completely recovered without feeling any pain anymore except of the itching in the incision site..So if anybody feel so terribly in pain because of gas,try to go for a walk(even so slow of you feel can't manage yet) in the park and i am sure that it will help you a lot.and also,i drank so much tea also using honey as the sweetener..My surgery was on Feb.27 and today is March 4 and i feel normal already..Thank God so much..3-4 days recovery is possible and i am 1 of the living witness...
Hi I am waiting for my operation date and very anxious. I have a daughter who is 2 years old and depends on me she is very uncomfortable with other people looking after her I have this problem too. Worried about how will I be able to look after her. I had a c section with her and was up and about straight away with little pain. Want to be able to look after my little girl my self am I able to pick her up she is 27lb obv not all the time and not in first few days.  Work is being very difficult as I have had 10 days off due to gastrointoitis and costointroitis and a couple of days for childcare reasons. They say to me that 2 weeks off will be hard for them to accommodate as will have to take some off paid and some off unpaid and so out of my annual leave.  Worried if I have the major surgery instead and have to haveup to 6 weeks off as I fear I will loose my job. Can they do this as I have have to have surgey and obv have to recover. I work in a private nursery and am very active there with lifing etc so obv cant work.
yes, you will need time off. I am a waitress/restaurant manager and I went back to work after 1 week. My surgery was February 20th, it was laproscopic oopherectomy and scraping of abdomen. By the 28th I started feeling odd. I thought that as long as I didn't waitress, and only managed, that I would be ok. Of course, our place is a 2 story super busy place. And bussing, food running, carrying plates and running up and down stairs is part of managing. I went to th ER yesterday due to pain. My surgeon said that doing that activity was "stupid". That going back to work is fine if you are an office type person. But, if you're like us, and have a physical job, you have to take it easy. For 6 weeks! Now, I must admit, I don't intend to wait that long. I am however, taking a few more days off, and then am sitting with my team to discuss how I can work without pushing myself too hard. I am lucky though, I have a super supportive employer and management staff. My reason for only taking 1 week off was because I don't know how to not work. Plus, I didn't receive appropriate messages about working. I was under the impression that people return to work right away. And I thought I could too. I am a super fit,strong, high energy healthy person. But, I set back my healing by not wrapping my brain around the fact that this is major surgery. I
I'm very sorry you have such an inflexible job. I 'm not sure its legal though to fire you for surgery? Check with your labour board. I'm sure you can see by my spelling that I am Canadian. Here we are protected from that sort of behaviour.
Get the surgery though. Short term discomfort is much better than longterm health issues.
I just finished my surgery 3 weeks ago, have a lot of confusing about it. My Doctor is a prof. who is in the top list of Australia.  I asked him what I need prepare after he told me I need do lapascope and booked the time for me,  he answered me it's an easy daily surgery and only needs 30mins, do not need any prepare and just directly come to hospital. I asked him can I go out or have holiday as I already planed a annual leave for holiday, he said if you like you can go out absolutely and in fact you can walk directly after surgery. Then cause me bloody misunderstood it's a very easy surgery and do not need worry about anything. The luck thing is I asked one week sick leave as I thought  I still need some time to rest and my period pain is very heavy, but the doctor told me I don't need recovery so long time. Anyway they still gave me a one week certificate.

The next all the things are not happened like my expected. My operation began from 12:30 pm and I wake up at 4:30 pm, I am dizzy and so weak, I sleep and wake up several times in hospital . Finally at 8:00pm, I sit and stand up walk very slow with my hubby, and then the nurse let me go home then. They didn’t give me any medicines. I think everything will be fine at the next day, but the nightmare just begins.

The first night I can’t sleep at all and my shoulder was very pain and I also had fever, and because I don’t know what cause the pain(I don’t know there has a lot of gas inside), so very nervous and worry was the operation not successful. And I hadn’t see doctor at all and no any suggestion for me and result told me.

As my hubby also need work at the next day as both of us didn’t think he needs stay at home to look after me by doctor’s suggestion. But that’s not true at all!!!!!  I can’t sit up by myself as the gas and inside wound. I can’t sleep by side and can’t go to toilet by myself. I need my hubby to lift up me by hug.

The luck thing, the second day my best friend came to see me. My hubby put the key under the door mat before he left, as I can’t sit up to open door for her. Thanks her look after me for whole day and bring me the pain reliever, as she don’t have enough strength to hug me lift up, finally we found a pot to resolve my pee (shame). And I lie on the sofa for whole day.

After one week I still feel very uncomfortable and my holiday was been cancelled, I call hospital and ask them why I still pain, you told me only 2 or 3 day should be ok. I also wondering do I have inflammation.
After my insisted, they let me come back and gave a prescription of anti-inflammation medicine. Then I went to pharmacy got the medicine and bought a hot pad. Then rest for another week.
And the third week I asked to work from home.
Now already the forth week I still feel inside sore and tired.
The whole process make me unhappy, why doctors not told you the truth at first, the operation may not a big surgery but the preparation and recover time and rest is very important. And as they didn’t inform me at the first time which causes me a lot of troubles otherwise the recovery might be better than now and can have more support from hubby. . My hubby now thinks that I am too weak and my mental is not strong enough as he heard from doctor that this is a minor surgery and only need 3 days recovery!!!!!
Yes, it is shocking how completely misleading this surgery is. However, you didnt mention if you also had ovary/tubes removed. Either way, the whole fever thing suggests an ingection so you may want a proper follow up from a different doctor. My surgeon is also amazing, but said nothing to me after. It was his nurse I ended up having a conversation with, 2 weeks later. After I almost fainted and couldn't shake the dizzy feeling and was experiencing bad pain so took myself to ER. Thats when i found out that "although the surgery is minor externally, it is still major surgery internally". Thats how she(the nurse) put it. I can't even tell you what a relief hearing that was. And this board. To know I did go back to work too soon, and that everything I feel is common and normal. Its been almost a month and I still find it too sore to bend over. I still am so exhausted that when I'm not at work, I'm asleep. And when I climb stairs, I run out of breath on one flight. Before my surgery, going up and down stairs was something I did for work, dozens of times a nights, and I ran them. I am a super fit woman. Now, i slow down and barely make it to the top. And of course my hormones are still out of whack with my ovary gone. I do know that I am getting better everyday , and that I will be back to normal again.
Please have your husband read these posts. Your experience is like so many other womens. My boyfriend is very understanding, but hes had a similar experience so he knows that it takes weeks and weeks to feel normal again.
Rest, eat very healthy, and give yourself a break
I had a very similar situation. However, I had the complications after the first surgery (hysterectomy). Infection, bleeding, was hospitalized for two weeks on antibiotics threw a PICC Line.  Went home still on antibiotics. It's been over a year sense that surgery buthad continued pain the whole year. Doctor went in to remove a cyst three weeks ago, only to find that scar tissue was so bad that my bladder, intestine, ovaries and vaginal cuff were all fussed together! My left ovary and cyst was removed and scar tissue was released. It's been three weeks and I still have a lot of discomfort.
I do recommend not twisting or moving fast for the first two weeks! I jerked after the first week (my son had fallen and of course as a mom my natural instinct was to try to catch him, even tho i couldn't move well) I tore something inside that was stitched. So now recovery has been pushed to six weeks! I'm not allowed to pick up my children, we Are moving soon and I am not allowed to pick up boxes and stuff.
I recommend taking at least two weeks for anyone who is having a cyst/ovary removed!
I want to share my story. I was scheduled for a bilateral ovarian cystectomy, with possible appendectomy on March 18 2013. I went into surgery with no questions or concerns thinking this would be a fairly routine surgery that was scheduled to be completed by laparascopy. I woke up 3 hours later diagnosed with a frozen pelvis, a chocolate cyst, severe endometriosis which is also affecting my bowels, as well an appendectomy as well as both my fallopian tubes removed.

I didn't realize the mental pain that would come in the days to follow. Having the chance of naturally conceiving children taken away from me with no advance warning has been a very disheartening experience.

Please learn from my story and ask your surgeon questions and if they are unwilling to answer them find someone else.

Your health is your worry and you should be in charge!
Sorry to hear that cassie! Myself at the age of 15years old went through loads of discomfort. I couldn't eat, kept needing the toilet, the list went on! I had enough and decided to go back to the doctors. She felt around my tummy and asked if I was preggers (which I knew I wasn't) I was the referred to have an emergency scan at the hospital and told they couldn't see any ovarian tissue. To be told that at 15 my heart broke and I was in floods of tears understandably! So after a load of pre op tests and seeing the consultant, the day finally came to have it removed. To my horror the cyst was dermoid, size of a head head and weighed 7lbs! The had to open me up along the bikini line as it was way too big for keyhole. I was told prior that I needed an oophorectomy so i knew the deal. What was more shocking is that about 10months before all this drama I had a blood test in which my doctor told my mum I had too many protein molecules and could be an ovarian cyst but I was too young (yeah right...)!
I am now almost 24, and suffering for a lot of the same symptoms. I had doubts in my mine that it could be another dermoid but my doctor referred me for a scan for polycystic ovaries. When I got there the trans-vaginal scan confirmed my fears and was in fact another dermoid cyst (10.6cmx6cm) not so big but still! She then did and ultrasound scan and said she couldn't see any tissue... My heart ached so much I haven't stopped crying for about a week now! I had my consultation and he said that I won't know if I will have any ovarian tissue left til I'm on the table. They wanted me to wait til 25th June but my family and I feel that is too long and have to fork out a mini fortune for private so hopefully my op will be next week!
I know there are women out there that will have it worse! I do totally feel for them and understand the pain they are going through! But remember there are still so many options available to still have children. It's hard to think about it all when something normally taken for granted is so easily taken away from you!  
Hi there my name is alecia. I am gettin an operative laparoscopy on April 23. I have PCOS and my Dr thinks i have endro. I havent had a period since the first week of january and prior to that i didnt have a period for over 6mnths. I was put on a high harmonal birth control after a month i got a period it was steady for about a year an then all of a sudden it stopped coming and the cyst came back. So i was put on a different bc with a higher harmonal level and it hasent worked at all. So now my dr is recamending the laparoscopy. I have severe pain in my lower stomach/ pelvic region and i get servere sharp pains when i feel like i have to make a bowl movement 2 mnths ago i had stomach ulcers and about 2 years ago had tumors in my bladder. My mom has a rare cancer called msh6(i believe thats the name) muri tori syndrome . I am only 22 i havent yet been tested for her genetic disease. But see i was wondering if maybe its not even that serious? like should i even get the surgery what if they dont find a problem ? what if its just some cyst onmy ovaries and some endro? am i overreacting? what do you ladies think please help!
So it's midnight and in 8hours time I am scheduled to have laparoscopic bilateral ovarian cystectomy and diathermy surgery. I have decided to take 3 weeks off work as I drive 17 miles to and from work everyday and carry out a very active job. I was scheduled last year to have 2 grapefruit sized cysts removed but due to them discovering I had stage 4 endometriosis and found my cysts, bladder, ovaries and bowels were all stuck together all they could do was drain the chocolate like fluid.

So the drainage did not reduce the serve pain I experienced and nor did being be on the contraceptive pill 24/7/365. So here I am reading post to keep me in the loop of what's to come of hopefully a successful surgery and fast recover time.

Update you on the other side of the operation.
I must say it depends on the person and the size of the cyst , I just recently had laparoscopic surgery June 5th , 2013 and in fact my cyst was the size of an orange which was 7.7cm. I'm actually luck although all of my incisions were not small , I had an incision inside of my belly button an a small one in my right side , but I have had one c-section like cut exactly where the panty line is . And with this type of incision that would most definitely take more than a few days let a long a week . And I must say I am on a very strong medication to the point it doesn't relieve any pain . I actually struggle to get out the bed to use the rest room , take showers , an also urinate . So maybe I take my I'm luck back you all are more luckier that your recovery wasn't long.

After 3 very painful periods,I decided to visit my family doc who asked me to do an ultrasound.Yesterday my doc told me that I have an 10 cyst and I need to see a specialist ASAP.i m so devastated and down when I heard this specially I m virgin and I m in my mid 30 and getting married in 7 weeks!!!!I He refereed me to  a GYN.I have to wait an other week to see him and what he can tell. If he ask me to o the surgery how I m suppose to do with my all my weeding preparation. I have been waiting for this all my life to hear this now....
I didn't tell anyone about this yet.I don't know how I m suppose to deal with all this situation and specially now.!!I m really scared.I can't stop my tears..I m coming from a background where fertility is ver very important.....God help me and help us all.
Hi plus720, I am in a similar situation to you. I recently found out that I have a large cyst, and I also have my wedding coming up. I realize this can be scary, but try not to be too scared and here's why. You only have one cyst, so at least one ovary is a-okay, which I believe is all you need to conceive. The other ovary will likely be okay too as the doctors can often remove the cyst without removing the ovary. Another thing to realize is that in most cases ovarian cysts are not "medical emergencies." What I mean by that is that you can usually take your time getting it treated (let a doctor examine you to make sure this is true for your case). That's what one of my doctors told me. If you're really worried about not being able to handle recovering from a surgery and doing your wedding planning at the same time, you can most likely wait until after your wedding to have the surgery (if you even need the surgery). The only downside to waiting is that I hear cysts can make intercourse painful, so that might have an effect on your honeymoon. As for the painful periods, I hope your doctor gave you painkillers for it. My period was so painful that I went to the ER (that's how I found out about my cyst). Now I have Vicodin and Motrin and that made all the pain go away. I also stopped exercising which also reduced the pain. I didn't even have any pain my last period even though the cyst is still there. Maybe your pain will go away too. I hope this information helps calm your fears some.
I just recently had one of my ovaries removed due to having a 15cm cyst. Turns out my ovary had twisted itself, but by the time doctors checked it out it was too late.So on June 22nd 2013 i had surgery to remove the ovary along with half of tube. 3wks later still have some discomfort,.not only from the  Laparoscopic but from inflammation where i had the ovary at.So healing time varies for everyone.Just make sure ask what you can and cant do.I was told not to pick up items heavier then 20lbs for 2 more weeks. ....      Maria416.
Hi my name is Maria and i am 30yrs old I just went through the same ordeal, but my ovary and fallopian tube were not able to be saved, Due to having a 15cm cyst on left ovary and somehow they twisted and cut blood flow to it,i confused it with my period so i went to bed having only taken advil and i woke up at 5am to get ready for work and i couldnt get up the  pain was unbearable. Didnt want to wake my daughter i asked my mom to stay with her and drove myself to hospital. So by the time i got there almost 12 hrs, they did a cat scan and ultra sound and a vaginal , they discovered that it was bad.That same day had surgery and was let out the next day. 3 weeks later still have some discomfort in lower abdominal as well incisions.But the good thing was a soon as all the swelling had gone down i had lost 10lbs. I am heading back to work and i still can not wear pants, i am scared because of inflammation and incisions dont want to mess with them.
Had laproscopic BSO and removal of uterine polyps, cyst on ovary and adhesions also found.
I have been careful with lifting for two weeks. Done some walking and did food shopping today....taking more than two weeks!
Hi All, had my laparoscopic surgery yesterday, just dealing with the pain however last night both of my legs felt like swollen and tingly but it was worst on my left and still have a funny feeling to it. Has anybody experience this symptoms before? Thanks for your any information.
which is better to remove bilateral endometrial cyst (moderate), laparoscopic or open surgery? my doctor told me through open surgery but i'm afraid....
I would talk to your doctor about doing it laparoscopically and express your concerns of it being done open.  The doctor could have a reason as to why they would want to do it open, especially if the cysts are larger and it would be more difficult to do surgery via laparoscopic.

I would just call and see if you could sit down with you doctor and ask why they want to do open versus laparo. and just explain your concerns.

I hope this helps!
I am scheduled to remove my ovary through larcopic surgery with a possibility of more. I work in a job where lifting 30lbs and up common. If I don't work I don't get paid and concerned how long for recover. Usually I bounce back quickly but with the heavy lifting for job doctor seemed concerned and said at least 2 weeks..more if more removed during surgery. I live alone and am a bit nervous for I have to do most myself. Is there anyone in a heavy lifting job that went back to work before 2 weeks? Maximum I lift is usually round 70lbs.
I am 22 years old and having laparoscopic surgery next Wednesday. I own a housecleaning business and therefore have a very physically demanding job. I can only take 5 days off... The Wednesday of the surgery until the following monday. Will I be ok in doing this?
should I attempt to get the full week off? Its just different because I can't "call in"... I have clients that rely on me weekly.
I would certainly recommend getting a week or more off and tell them that you'll get a doctors note to come back. The doctors have to clear you before you can go back to work. Working places shouldn't be able to tell you how long you can have off due to medical issues.  Surgeries are major and complications can arise if not healed properly
Hi my name is kyounia west and I had a lap surgery done on July 3 2013 its now sept the doc told me that I three month s I should be pregnant but it has not happen can some please help me and let me know what I need to do please
I had laproscopic surgery to remove ovarian cyst as well ad a D@C. Surgery was Wednesday afternoon. Was planning on going back to work Monday. I have post op visit Tuesday. Still pretty sore and bleeding heavily. Also I I've about a 40 minute drive to work. Friday I tried to drive a short distance while not taking pain med and hurt pretty bad. Thinking I need to wait til after post op to go back. Didn't think driving would hurt so bad.
Hi I had this done last Friday and I feel fine I was just wondering because I do mascoting and I was wondering if I would be right to so this on Friday coming it would have been a week but I do feel fine in myself x
HYSTERECTOMY/ PELVIC REPAIR Due

Recommended to have posterior & anterior pelvic repair and....vaginal  hystectomy... for prolapse.  Already surgery postponed twice due to chronic flu type symptoms ( still throat and conjunctivitis with discharge) which would affect anaesthetic...... but....panic!... now fixed for a week's time.

I'm terrified....after reading all that can happen.  I have no bleeding just excessive bloat and take 3-4 senna nightly to ensure bowel movement each forenoon. Urination is a bit unpredictable but manageable as I work outdoors. The prolapse is uncomfortable and a few "accidents" cannot be avoided but not unbearable as yet.  Family wedding is in less than 2 months time, and I recognise there are more than social reasons as justification for postponement again.  I am not ready for this....however fit for my age...after the dependancy being alone for over a year with fractured ankle then metal implant removal , before weight bearing possible to walk and drive again.
Hi, how are you doing. I just had a few questions for you because I have the similar cyst as you. Did the doctors test or cancer and how fast was your cyst growing up to 7.5 cm.