OVARIAN CYSTS
COMMUNITY
How long is recovery from Laparoscopic surgery?
by scootchie, Mar 11, 2009
WOW!.....I've read all the posts up to 'last year' then I realized that it might just be easier to 'ask this' then to search for it....i'm one of those gals that 'wants to know NOW', sorry.  
My surgery is an 'outpatient' one at a local hospital, they said i'd be home by late afternoon at the latest (providing there's no 'issues') but i'd be 'out of pocket/recovering' for at least 3-4 days....NOT WEEKS....are they wrong with that diagnosis?  I really need to know, i'm the only one that works here in my office (it's a company that has two venues) and I do 'everything' and there's NO replacement or stand in.  I'm not even sure how my boss is going to handle this news, but HEY, it's my health and it comes first!  Please advise ASAP!
P.S. I really liked the idea of 'pre-making & freezing' meals, this way I don't have to rely on hubby for that.  As for the 'constriction' after surger....been there done that with my hip surgeries and there's no way I want to go through that 'feeling & situation' again....YUKKO, I think i'll research the bran muffins and 'fiber' supplements this week.  You ladies are great, i'm so happy I found this site!!
Member Comments (135)
by MarieMichele, Mar 11, 2009
The most common recovery period is two weeks at home.  I can't imagine a mere 3 or 4 days to recover.

Is this to remove a cyst?  If so, what size?  Do they know how many laparoscopic incisions they plan to make? (it is usually more than one)  

Sometimes a person goes in for laparoscopic surgery and ends up getting a laparotomy (open surgery) when the small incisions are just too small for them to work.  That requires an at-home recovery of about six weeks and a longer hospital stay.

I had a laparotomy, but from what I've seen, the majority of the ladies here that had laparoscopic surgery required more than 3-4 days at home.  Hopefully more will respond to you soon.
by kimmery, Mar 11, 2009
I am also having laporoscopic in 2 weeks time and my doctor said it would take me up to a week to recover. I know it's not incredibly helpful, but I've heard it really depends on the person... Some people are up and at it within 3 days or so; others, it takes longer. It also depends whether or not they remove 'girl parts'. I most likely will lose my right ovary, which the doctor said could lengthen my recovery period by a few extra days. I had laporoscopic for a cyst when I was 18 and I hardly remember the recovery, side from the nausea from the anaesthetic. I guess being young really helps with recovery!!

To be safe I'd tell them you will need a week off. Good luck!!! :-)
by ArmyPrincess819, Mar 11, 2009
I had ovarian surgery in jan of 06. It was supposed to be a minor surgery and I ended up with complications during the surgery and while recovering. For me it was a fluke thing. I was told about 4 wks would be recovery that is with out complications. Some women can recover alot sooner than that. I hope you feel better soon.....

AP
by kimmery, Mar 11, 2009
Sorry to hear you had complications, AP. Do you mind telling us a bit about what happened? I didn't even think about the possibility of complications!!... I know this thing needs to come out (dermoid) -- I also cannot deal with the pain anymore -- but I also want to fully understand what I am doing. I hope I'm not being too intrusive by asking...

by Sandymac, Mar 11, 2009
    All I can do is relate my own experience.. I had laparoscopic surgery last year.. 3 small incisions. Outpatient. Told not to drive, lift anything heavy, no heavy housework or heavy yardwork. Felt fine after a few days...not really pain, but sore when I tried to bend over, reach for something or sleep on my side. Stitches out in 1 week.And, I went to grocery store later in day (I didn't drive). But truly feel that 3-4 days for me would have been pushing it for work I'm retired so that was not an issue.Do you have to stand for long hours? Or lift much?. Even though you feel fine, and the stitches look good, there is still healing to be done internally..
     As one of the above posters said, everyone is different,.. I'd sure plan on more than 3-4 days.. I'd go for a week anyway..
Good luck..

Sandy
by scootchie, Mar 12, 2009
WOW.....I really appreciate everyone's input.  I haven't talked to the doctor yet, I was told to make a list to ask at pre-opt but that's only a week before the surgery....YIPES!  

Here at work I usually sit at my desk so I have access to the phone & computer when needed but there is an 'L shape' sectional here in the office I guess I can 'lay on it' and get up when necessary.BUT if i'm not allowed to drive (I don't have a stick), i'm screwed...unless I take a cab...but that's '$$ I really don't have'.
     My surgery is on a Tues and I was thinking of taking off the remainder of the week and going back the following Mon giving me 5 days at home OR since I have an "L shaped" sectional in my office (it's a huge room) I could 'settle in there' and just get up and go to my desk to record a rent payment or to use the computer when necessary, the phone is a portable so there's no worries there...I could put any duties (especially cleaning) that require lifting in/on the back burner.
    OH did I mention that the first week of the month is the busiest here...wonder how the boss is going to react to this one, though we do have a drop box for that purpose and maybe I could 'forward the calls' to my cell which I always have with me.
     I agree with the 'every person is different' as they told me i'd need 4-7 weeks after (each) hip replacement but I returned after 3.  I was bored being at home so the doc said I could do that but to NOT stand on my feet for long intervals...keep a bar stool/chair behind me if I started to feel weak or hurt in any way. I got away with that for 2 weeks and then the chair was forbidden...no worries there, I felt 'healed' by then.
     Thanks ladies, you've been very helpful with your comments...but keep them coming please....I have less then 2 weeks to ask questions and then it's 3 weeks til surgery.
Janel
by Sandymac, Mar 12, 2009
Have you checked the post "10 things I learned from my laparoscopy"?  It's fairly close to the top.. really cute,informative and funny.. sounds like you may have seen it already. A gal on the cyst forum started it last year.. It has gotten very long, but we don't want shorten it since there is such a wealth of information on there .

I think so much is an individual thing.. I also think a lot depends on one's general health before the procedure, and the "mental" outlook. We have a very good friend who is a surgeon(thoracic)  who told us years ago that it's common knowledge in the medical community that one heals  quicker and easier if their "mental" state is postive .. Of course, that's not always possible especially when dealing with major surgeries. But I know that for myself I was told it was a piece of cake from the ladies on this board (actually they didn't have a ovcy board then.. it was combined with ovca) so I went in thinking it was a piece of cake, that's what my expectations were and I think it helped my recovery.

Please keep us posted on your outcome !
Good luck,
Sandy
by Little_Black_Duck, Mar 13, 2009
I had a laparoscopy on Feb. 12 to remove a 7.5 cm simple cyst on my right ovary. The ovary and fallopian tube were also removed. I had to stay in the hospital overnight as my heart rate was elevated post-surgery and they wanted to monitor me. I kept insisting it was "just nerves" as I get very anxious re. medical procedures, but they wouldn't hear of it; they were cautious. They even did bloodwork twice to see if I was having a heart attack - talk about unnerving! Next day, my heart rate was back to normal and I went home that afternoon. Anyway, I went back to work (I'm a schoolteacher) on the 24th, and I felt that the twelve days of recovery was perfect. That first week of work, I still felt a little soreness around my right incision and some internally, but not enough to be too distracting. After that time, I felt completely normal. I think it must vary with the individual - 3-4 days of at-home recovery seems awfully short, though. Give yourself whatever time you need. Good luck to you!
by sue3576, Mar 13, 2009
I had laparoscopic surgery on January 27th.  It was 4 small incisions to remove a softball sized cyst.  It was outpatient as well.  Dr. told me as well I could go back to work in 2-3 days...but I'm glad I took more.  I actually went back to work on February 9th (just short of 2 weeks).  After 1 week I felt pretty good, but insides still felt pretty sore and found I got really tired.  Even my first week back at work I was exhausted by about 2 pm.  I would take up to 2 weeks if you are able.  Mine was pretty "uneventful" surgery, but even though on the outside everything looks so minor....you will certainly know that more went on on the inside.  Take the time you need or at least as much as you can.  Good luck!