Mass behind an ovary what does this mean?
My girlfriend went to the doctor on tuesday and they did an ultrasound that showed what the doctor called fluidy mass behind one of her ovaries.  She is 28 and has of late been having issues with getting sick after she eats, either vomiting or diaherrea.  Her family doctor originally diagnosed her as having a mild case of IBS.  She went to see her Gynocologist for her routine Pap which came back clean but she discussed her IBS with him and he suggested she come back for the ultrasound.  They are going to go in and remove the mass laproscopically with incisions around her belly button.  I think they said they would make three incisions.  We are really uncertain about what all of this means right now and to say the least very frightened that it could be some form of Ovarian cancer.  Any information good or bad would be helpful right now because we just do not know what to expect.
Chances are great that it's not cancer. Cysts are really very very common in younger women. If the laparascopy is done, it is a very simple procedure. Usually on an outpatient basis with 3 small incisions.. It isn't even very painful, but uncomfortable for a few days. . She will not be able to drive for 2 weeks usually or lift anything heavy.

You might want to check the top right of this page under "Health Pages" . There is a lot of information there. You need to know that there is 95% chance that all cysts are benign. Ovarian Cancer has other symptoms that your wife doesn't seem to have, so I wouldn't worry unnecessarily. When is the laparoscopy scheduled? Let us know,
Sandy
Thank You!!  That will put my mind somewhat at ease for a while.