Ovarian Cysts Community
Phantom Ovary pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Phantom Ovary pain?

Hi all. I had a cyst on my ovary discovered a year ago, we gave it three cycles, it did not go away. Then we gave it three months of bcpills and it did not go away. I finally had surgery at the end of May for it and had it removed. It was one of those ugly cysts with the hair and stuff-grodey! Anyways, things have been great, I healed quickly and things are fine. But this last cycle I have really noticed some tugging and pain in my left lower abdomen (where my ovary was). Is this normal to have maybe phantom pains? I have to say that they mainly occured during what was supposed to be my O time, I am still not sure if I O'd, will know in a couple of days...anyways...

So here are my questions:
1) IS there such a thing as phantom pains
2) Should I call my doctor?

Thanks I would love to hear your experiences post surgery!
All I can share is my own opinion..but yes, I did have "phantom pains" but not quite that far away from my surgery date. Mine only lasted for a short time.How large was the cyst? If it was large, there  may be a little bit of  scar tissue and if that's the case, you may benefit from what is known as "body rolling" ..Mary , from our forum, posted an article in the "Health Pages" at the top right ot this page. Check the article out, and yes, I would mention to your Dr. just for peace of mind.. But probably not anything too serious.

Take care,
Sandy
Thank you for your response. The size of my cyst was the size of a grapefruit or a softball. I was suprised it was that size!

I looked for the article on body rolling and can not find it. I would love to read it, do you think I can google it?

Thanks again!
     Sorry, I should have mentioned where to find the article. Go to the top right of this page and look at "Health Pages". Open that and scroll down to "Surgical Adhesions".. It's a very good article...

Take care,
Sandy
All that  I can add to the above I had felt  the phantom ovary pain for well over a year after my surgery.  

My doctor believes it was due to endometrial tissue (emdometriosis) in my abdomen.  She removed as much of it as she could when I had surgery to remove my  left ovary/fallopian tube/complex mass; still, there was some tissue remaining.    Such tissue swells and reduces along with the normal monthly cycle, hence the feeling that there was still something functioning in that area of my abdomen.  

I also develop a form of keloid scarring (a hereditary curse) and so I  developed  heavy scar tissue in the areas of my laparoscopic procedures.  

Mary53 shared with us her discovery of the body rolling, and I gave that a try with my doctor's blessing.  It solved the problem, at least to the point that I have to strain my abdomen before I notice any discomfort.  

Thanks Sandy and Mickey! And, I am so happy to hear the the Body Rolling worked for you, Mickey. I have known Mickey for a few years now and it is so great to see her posts again (Talking about you as if you are not here :)  Anyway, maybe I do recall you'd mentioned trying the Bodyrolling. Oh well...so glad things have improved.

As far as I know, Endometriosis is a type of Adhesion. It makes sense, doesn't it? Hope you found the article.

When I posted the article, I put it on the Health Pages under "Relief for Surgical Adhesions," I think!

If you cannot find it, I can post it here.

Copy it so you can read it at your convenience. It is rather long. It was  LIFE Saver for rme!

Mary
Thanks ladies. I found the article very informative. I just was curious if it something I should do sinc I am TTC? I am 4DPO and hoping to get a + soon. What are your thoughts on that?