Ovarian Cysts Community
Removal of Uterus
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Removal of Uterus

I just done ultrasonic scan of abdomen and pelvis and a small benign cyst measuring 1.3 x 1.6 cm in the right ovary and a small interstitial fibroid at the anterior mid body of uterus are detected. As I have already manonpause the doctor recommend a surgery to remove the uterus as treatment.  Can you please comment whether it is the right thing to do?  Otherwise please recommend an alternative.  Thanks.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
483733_tn?1326802046
I assume that he is planning on removing the cyst?  Fibroids are very common and are generally not removed (nor the uterus) unless they become large, cause pain (your cyst is more likely to cause pain and be worrisome), or are causing very heavy bleeding with your periods (not the case here).  I would ask why he wants to do this.  
Blank
That cyst is really small and if the doctor is certain it is benign, I don't see a reason for surgery.  The fibroid is also small and fibroids can actually shrink after menopause.  I agree with Trudie.  The doctor needs to justify the reason for surgery more clearly.  You might just need routine exams to see if anything has changed that requires surgery.
Blank
I am 56 years old and already menopaused. The doctor's advised that the uterus is no use and therefore it is better to remove it as a prevention against any possible complication in future. Currently I do not feel any pain or bleeding, Please advise whether I should proceed with the surgery. Thank you.
Blank
483733_tn?1326802046
We aren't doctors and can't give you that advice, just our own thoughts.  It really doesn't make sense to me.  You should get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.
Blank
Thanks TrudieC.  I also did pad smear recently and the result is good.  Hence, I will not perform the surgery but will monitor my condition.
Blank
You should know that a Pap test only finds changes to the cervix and some pelvic infections.  It tells us nothing regarding the conditon of the uterus or the ovaries and cannot detect cancers other than cervical cancer.

Bad fibroids or cysts cause pain, bleeding, bloating, fatigue, changes in bowel/bladder habits and a sense of unwellness. You will know something is wrong with you.

Pelvic exams (pressing on abdomen for areas of enlargement) and ultrasounds see the problems with the uterus and ovaries, not pap tests. Ultrasounds are usually only ordered if an area of enlargement is detected during a pelvic exam.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank