Ovarian Cysts Community
Residual Ovary Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Residual Ovary Syndrome

I recently had a CAT scan showing a cystic lesion where my left ovary once had been.  I had a full hysterectomy last July after several previous surgeries to remove endometriosis.  I have taken no hormones since my surgery.  After several tests I found out from a blood work test that I am not in menopause.  It seems to be that somehow they did not remove all of one of my ovaries.  I have felt as if the endometriosis had been growing back for the past several months none of my physicians believed that because I had no female organs left.  Now I have continual abdominal swelling that gets so large I literally look 6 to 7 months pregnant and an incredible amount of pain in my abdomin (abdomen).  No one will do surgery because they say it is too risky because I have had 6 abdominal surgeries and that the chance of finding the tiny piece of ovary is slight.  I have been diagnosed with resisual ovary syndrome with the possibility of endometriosis.  I have not been given any solutions to my problem.  Do you have any answers?
Considering you have a cystic lesion on the ovarian remnant I would think they could find it if need be.  I think you need a 2nd opinion here and/or look into possibly going on birth control to help if they won't operate.  That is a lot of pain to have to live with.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
My sister was just diagnosed with residual ovarian cyst attached to her small intestine.  following gynecologist's consultation with two of his colleagues he informed my sister there is nothing that can be done. "Just watch it for now"
I recommended my sister get a second opinion.  What is your opinion?
I think you should get another opinion. I have a 14cm cyst on, or beside my right, or left ovary. Since this whole thing started, I've gotten so many different answers from each doctor I've seen. One gynecologist said to wait, and it'll shrink. Another says I need surgery and now I'm waiting for a call for when my surgery will be. And one, put me on the pill and said hopefully it'll prevent it getting bigger. Always always always get another opinion and do ALOT of research for yourself! Try to understand what the doctor says, ask lots of questions and trust you're gut feeling. Also, you're body reacts to what you think. If you believe it's gonna get worse and hurt, it will most likely get worse and hurt worse! Be POSITIVE! =]