Ovarian Cysts Community
Small hard pea sized lump at bottom of scar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I had a laparotomy around 18 months ago to remove what turned out to be a 20cm benign growth on my ovary. I lost an ovary and a tube in the process and now have a 6 inch scar running vertically up my tummy.

This morning I noticed a very small, very hard lump at the bottom of the scar.  I am guessing this is just scar tissue but wondered if anyone else has similar?

S
My own vertical scar is a bit shorter than yours, maybe 4 to 4.5 inches.  It is now completely smooth and in some places completely faded after nearly 13 months.  I would tend to believe a lump like that is not completely normal.  Maybe the internal suturing?  I have to wonder if they used things like surgical staples internally and perhaps one got dislodged or covered in scar tissue.  It is probably not harmful, but not very desireable either.  It seems strange that this would appear so long after the fact.
I have a vertical scar that runs form my pubic bone all the way past my bellybutton.  I have had this scar for almost 5 years.  My scar is smooth, but has little bumps in it in places.  Also, at times, I will have places that still hurt along the scar.  When I talked to my doctor about this, he said that it is probably the scar tissue pulling causing the pain.  The bump at the bottom of your scar could be a subacious  (sp) cyst, which is just a cyst in the fatty tissue that poses not harm at all.  It also could be a very small incisional hernia.  If that is the case, you may need to see your doctor.  Do you have any symptoms along with it?  Is it painful?  The best thing to do would be to call your doctor and explain what you are seeing/feeling.  Good luck.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thank you both for your responses.   I had my mum and brother have a look and feel of it today and they agree it is definitely a small lump rather than just like the rest of the bumpy scar.  It feels like a frozen pea - very hard!

Will make an appointment to see the doctor this week just to be on the safe side although I have no other symptoms, no pain etc.  Will update when I have done.

Thanks again
S
Hi all,  I went to the nurse this morning to get my coil checked and she had a feel of my lump.  She agreed it was definitely nothing to do with the coil, and I should see a doctor.  Really trying to be calm about this but somehow find it impossible to stop looking on the bl00dy internet about lumps etc.   Doctors appointment tomorrow morning, am 99% sure it is nothing serious, but there is always that 1% of doubt isn't there..
Update - went to the doctor yesterday who was pretty clueless about what this lump is.  She has requested a scan for me.  Here we bl##dy go again.  So upset, I am sure it will be fine but I hate the waiting around.
:-(
ok so had a scan.  the radiologist thinks it is a stitch that has either (a) got a little infected, or (b) has some blood around it or whatever.    Great to hear that it is nothing to worry about but now I am home I am worrying again.  Why has it appeared 18 months after operation?  Why can't I find anyone with similar on the internet?  Nothing makes sense.  I feel very down as now they will leave me to my own devices.

Keep telling myself not to be silly.
I had a laparotomy nearly 6 weeks ago and gp found a lump near top of the scar and is sending me for a scan. It is painful under examination. I am hoping it is nothing to worry about. Dreading it as am still recovering from surgery. She said it could be an infection or a haemotoma, I asked if it could be a hernia but she said it is unlikely