OVARIAN CYSTS
COMMUNITY
Top 10 things I have learned from laproscopic cyst/ovary removal
by painterchic, May 14, 2008
It's been almost 2 weeks since my laproscopic surgery, I have learned alot both from experiencing it and talking to ya'll here on the forum. Time to share, because just maybe somebody is about to go through the same thing and has questions or needs help. It would be great if everyone added their two cents and we will have a nice "what to expect when your expecting laproscopic surgery" list...lol

1. Don't be fooled, this is major surgery. You could be having body parts removed. Don't plan on doing much for at LEAST a week or two. If you are lucky like some, you'll be up and at 'em. But if you're not, then you won't be disappointed and frustrated.

2. Make or buy muffins. Especially bran. You will need them. Don't ask me why. Ok...why? Because your meds will constipate you and make your stomach hurt. AND you will be too tired to make food. You can buy stool softeners too, but they don't make for a tasty breakfast...

3. If you can, shop for or prepare food and stick it in the freezer. And be REALLY REALLY nice to your friends and neighbors before your surgery. They may offer to bring you food. Don't be silly, say yes. You will be glad you did!

4. The CO2 gas may bloat you up. It might not happen for a day or two and you will laugh and say "I am SO lucky!!" and then "POP" You are the now the Pilsbury doughgirl. Only not as cute. But it hurts...not just the shoulder, could be all over. WALK, WALK, WALK.. around the house, it will go away. Could take a week or more, but the worst is the first few days. Try beano, mylanta, etc. too. BEST cure: Massage. Takes away all the toxins, pushes out some gas. Can't get one?... be REALLY REALLY nice to your spouse, significant other, children, whoever.... they may take pity on poor ol' bloated you and help you out.

5. Get one of those beanybag things that you put in the microwave. Put it on where it hurts. Warm feels nice and you can't get in the tub for two weeks. Your body might hurt all over. They say they don't drop you off the stretcher while you are unconscious, but I personally don't believe it...

6. Enjoy your downtime. Remember all those busy days you wished you could lie around, play on the computer, read books, organize your photos, google your old boyfriend,  write that novel? Well, do it. Or sleep. Or both.

7. Sleep. Sleep some more.

8. Driving sucks. Try and avoid it until your incisions/stomach muscles don't hurt. (and you're not on happypills anymore...) It's illegal in most states to drive lying down, I believe...

9. Drink lots of water. Flushes out all the stuff they pumped into you during surgery. Fluffs out the sleep wrinkles in your face..

10. Get on this forum when you can. You will find wonderful women with supportive notes, messages, laughs, and you can read others stories to know whether you are "normal" or not (in terms of your surgery - if you want deeper analysis, try the psych forum...)

That's MY top ten, I hope you all can add a few of your own! Thanks everyone for ALL your help, info, and especially the friendship and laughter.
Have a great day!
Joelle
Member Comments (407)
by painlady, May 14, 2008
Was this out patient surgery or did you stay in the hospital?
by ireneo, May 14, 2008
That was wonderful. You shared the reality but added a good dose of humor. I love it. I want to add to #2 - I did not take the pain meds because I couldn't stand the dizziness and headache (I tried the pills twice). Yet I still had the sluggish bowels. Remember, they get in there and shove things around to get to the parts they want. I think the bowels go into shock and pass out. So do drink plenty of fluids and take in lots of fiber. Be careful with that because many fiber foods also cause gas. You'll have enough of that floating around from the surgery. For me walking around helped the most. It's not easy to get up or sit down but once you're in an upright position, just move forward.
by Morrowville, May 14, 2008
Here's my own dose of what i learned... I had open surgery and was in the hospital 4 days.

It's good to have someone to help you wipe your ***.  
After you feel good enough to do that yourself, you're ready to go home.

I actually had my hubby get me a "reachy thingy" to put butt wipes on the end of.
Wiping sucks when you have a big ole "happy smile" incision across your abdomen!

But, I'm 5 weeks post op, and it does get better.  I can "almost" reach all the way back there now without too much pain!

Any sisters have THIS wonderful point of view??? lol

love you all,

Donna
by Sandymac, May 14, 2008
That was great from both of you!!!! Need to add another if I could... Buy one of those "grabby" things on a pole used for reaching things "out of reach"..Mine is called a "Gopher".. They advertise it for older folks.. (like me) LOL.. Available at Wal-mart, CVS, etc. Use it for picking up things on the floor that you drop, or can't reach.. Believe me when I say you do NOT want to bend over..

And, I took stool softeners as well as Metamucil (but someone said their Dr. told them not to take the metamucil as it could cause a blockage).. I was fine with it.. just diluted it a lot!  And the old standby prunes... And remember that "This too shall pass" .. no pun intended...P.S. Mine was outpatient...
by Sandymac, May 14, 2008
Ours must have crossed.. yours was great too !!
by painterchic, May 14, 2008
Hahaha, you ladies crack me up! MORE great advice, MORE laugher, the best medicine, right? .... oh my the things we talk about here! too funny....
Yah, I forgot to add the grabbythingy. I would just look at stuff on the floor and then do what my kids do...pretend I didnt see it and walk away! Unless I needed it, then big problem!

btw painlady, they booted me out the same day, but everyone is diffferent. Some people on here stayed 1 day, 3 days, who knows...

Have a great day...
J
by SimplyStar, May 14, 2008
If you want those incisions to heal faster, remove the dressings and let air get to the staples or stitches.  This can be done while sitting or laying down,  Keep those hands clean when touching the surgical areas, Plenty of fluids. Exercize, if you can't get outdoors, do some stationary  stuff, high kicks, swing arms, shoulder crunchs, hip rotations,  laying around for 2 to 3 weeks  you will lose some muscle tone,  a lot of  things can be done just holding onto the back of a chair, sitting down on the edge of a chair, laying flat  and flexing the knees and hips. When you use your grabber thing, don't stand and grab, bend from the waist and grab, or if higher, stretch up and grab. Don't try to do all the exercizes at once, space them out, Use a pillow between or under the knees at night for sleeping if it helps take the strain from the incision. Laying around too much predisposes you to clots, so MOVE AROUND PLEASE.  
by vallieanne, May 14, 2008
Oh, now I just cant' wait to have my surgery, this sounds like sooo much fun!!!
Already have the grabber, now I just need a butt wiper, ick.

by WolfeHall, May 14, 2008
Thanks for the information and the giggle!  But it also scared me a bit...almost shed a tear...it is scary to think about surgery even though you have been through it several times. Like you said...it is major surgery.

Thanks again for the laughs and the tears!