Ovarian Cysts Community
Top 10 things I have learned from laproscopic cyst/ovary removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Viewing 401-435 comments:
I had laparoscopic surgery 3 days ago to investigate a tumor growing from my spine into my abdomen.  While in there they found cysts on one of my ovaries and removed it.  Here are some lessons I learned:
• The day after the surgery I began bleeding like a normal period, with cramps and all.  This is still going on.
• A few hours after my surgery I had severe pressure on my chest and could barely take a breath in.  This lasted about 10 minutes, I just stayed calm and it passed.  I would say it felt like a heart attack.
• Dilaudid may make you very sick, even in an IV drip.  It can also cause migraines.  This is the last thing you need after surgery.  I insisted on oral Oxycodone instead.  However, I found the best relief came from good old Tylenol.
• Using Epsom salts diluted in water as a laxative was my savior.  Whenever I felt backed up I would drink this and have relief within an hour.  DO NOT take more if you do not get relief, just try it again the next day.
• You will undoubtedly run into people who say they know others who had laparoscopic surgery and were fine the next day.  Maybe this could happen, but I doubt it.  I could not do anything the next day.  Every move was painful.  I equate it to how your stomach feels after having a terrible cold where you are coughing all the time.  Any slight gasp, cough, clearing of the throat can be felt through your entire torso.
• You will have your period every month even with one ovary.  Basically the remaining ovary picks up the slack.
• Eat very light for the following week, even if you have a window where you feel great.  No matter how good it tastes, it’s not worth the pain you will have in an hour.  These feel good windows do not last.
• Sleep in a recliner if you can, I could have never laid in a bed.
• Lastly, be understanding of pets and small children.  They seem to know you’re in pain and want to help by getting all over you.  Just gently push them off you; it helps to have someone there to keep them at bay.
Unfortunately it looks like my spine/abdomen tumor is cancerous, and this is the start of my journey.  But finding these sites has given me comfort in seeing how people want to comfort and aid complete strangers.  Good luck and God bless to anyone visiting this site and feeling alone.
Monique, my prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery:)
So, I havent posted on this thread in a while.. If your scroll up youll see my story. what ***** is, I had a doctors appointment today to check the healing process and some other things from my laprascopic surgery in september, turns out i have a cyst in my now one and only overy left. being only 22, you can imagine how i reacted.. married, no children, but definitely want some. and being in the military, some of these doctors dont even want to do anything about it. right now the cyst is only 4 cm, hopefully it will go away on its own, maybe this upcoming period. but damn, its definitely been a crazy ride these past few months.
i didnt know ***** was a bad word... hmmm edit that to say what s u ck s is..
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update on my situation in case anyone else out there has a similar situation.  My surgery was quick and it went well. I have a couple of small scars.  I was out of there quickly too, as I really wanted to get home to my nursing baby.  I was able to lie on my side in bed to nurse him without too much discomfort and I put a pillow over my belly just in case he had a random kick :)   I took the advice of this board and really took it easy, not trying to do too much too soon.  From the outside it doesn't look like much but it is so hard on your body.  The most pain I had was from the gas and I made myself get up a walk around the room frequently to work it out.  My family and friends were very supportive so I would encourage anyone going through this, especially with young children, to reach out for help. I was so nervous about the surgery but each person is different, before the surgery I was fit, active and healthy, so my recovery went well.  Thank you all for sharing your story here.
Great comments ladies. I just had my first surgery, laproscopic surgery last week after I had an ovarian cyst rupture on me.. ouch!

I wasnt suprised that I had a cyst lurking, I could feel the dull pain in my right lower abs but I was somewhat ignoring it. I actually thought I was just having a bad issue with constipation which is nothing new for me. Well, the cyst burst and it is painful. Sharp pain in the entire abdomen and I just began to violently throw up. I was so weak, my husband made me go to the ER. When I got the ER my BP was 79/50- they gave me some pain meds (Thank you!!) and did a vaginal ultrasound and found that I had a cyst rupture and that I had 2 additional cysts around 5cm each on my right side. One was a functional cyst, the second was "complex" they werent sure what it was full with. So, considering I didnt want to have another one rupture and the fact that the complex one wasnt going to go away on its own, I decided to schedule surgery. I had an issue w/ cysts last summer as well so it was becoming an on-going issue which was causing pain during sex (and my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant) and a constant pain in my stomach.

My surgeon was great, explained everything very well. Waited a week before going in- long week. Its all I could think about. The other thing I thought about was having a male surgeon. I had never gone to a male doctor and I was really freaked out about it. My husband kept telling me I was being silly that he is a professional. I just felt like I was going to be so exposed and have no idea what was going on. I had a really tough time with that, still bothers me after the fact. So- not sure if anyone else had/has that concern but if so- I get it!

Surgery went well- about 2 hours. Both cysts were removed and he was able to save my ovary which I was incredibly happy about. He also found that I have severe endometrosis which can only be confirmed with surgery. I have stage 4- which basically means it is everywhere. Good explanation as to why my husband and I have been having such a difficult time conceiving. We have seen a fertility doctor but they werent 100% sure if I had endo. He removed as much of the endo as he could and said now is a great time to try as my odds will increase since some has been removed. I am 38 and my husband is 43- we have no children.

Post surgery has been very slow moving. I had surgery on Friday, today is Tuesday and still moving slowly. I do agree that you need to get up and walk around. Otherwise you get so stiff. The mornings are the toughest to move because I have been still for so long. I might go back to work tomorrow (work from home) just to cure my boredom. Also- using a heating pad helps and hold it to your stomach if you need to sneeze or cough which is very painful. I cringe when I need to cough.

Good luck to everyone!  I read alot about this surgery beforehand and all I can say is that everyone is different with recovery. Each surgery is unique and different things are being done inside our bodies. I spoke with a few friends that said 2 days tops, well I am at day 5 and I am still in a good amount of pain. I have a pretty good pain tolerance- my friends are wimps, seriously. I have been feeling a little bad about it and feeling like I am being a baby because they were up and at it so much quicker but as my husband keeps saying- They had a small amount of endo and didnt have 2 cysts removed, that will add to the recovery.
Very good information, They tried to save my ovary with my first surgery but couldnt. So you have reassured me that if I need to get surgery again to remove this cyst i have now in my only ovary, that we actually have a chance of saving it :)
I am in day 6 post surgery in which I had an ovary, ovarian cyst, and both tubes removed. Do not underestimate the pain involved for several days after surgery from the gas injected into your body cavity. The pain in your chest, shoulders, and rib cage far outweigh the pain exoerienced from the 3 small incisions. Coughing and sneezing is torture. I had 2 c-sections previously and this recovery seems as painful as what I remember. My entire upper body aches and today is the first day I could actually get up and around with some level of ease. I sleep a lot and have little appetite. And no one warned me that my stomach would be so bloated that it looks and feels like I had another baby. I sure hope this goes away. The best advice I can give is listen to your own body. You will know when you have done too much or can do a little more. Take this as an opportunity to have downtime with an excuse. We as woman always put others first so take every second you can for yourself while you recover and feel no guilt. Allow others to look after you and everything else for awhile. Don't plan to be alone for the first few days as you will need the help. And remember, this too shall pass.....
Sorry you're not doing too well since your surgery.  I had a complete laparoscopic Hysterectomy about 9 years ago when I was 45.   Long story short, the 3rd doc I went to finally found the cause of my 2 year pelvic/abdominal pain & severe periods to the point of hemorrhaging several times over the yrs.  He said I was literally cluttered inside with LOTS of cysts & fibroids about 6.cm each or more.  

Surgery for me went smoothly & was such an easy recovery.  Apparently, one of my Fallopian Tubes was already disconnected, disintegrating & was falling out into my birth canal.  Doc said when he saw inside I was literally a "mangled mess".  I was walking down the very long hospital hallways back & forth only 2 hours after I was put in my room after surgery.  Loved that leg wrap thing they gave me while in hospital overnight that squeezed my legs (to keep from clotting from lying down). It was a circulation device & it was great!  Wish I had one at home.  

Went home the next day & slept well & rested about a week but I was able to do light housework.  About 3 weeks later I noticed my sex drive was still there.  Of course I waited the full 6 weeks AND first got my doc's ok to have intercourse.  Life is great now, no pain, no periods and I tell everyone "my doctor took out the cradle and left the playpen".  LOL.  

That surgery forced my body into downright full-blown menopause.  I've had night sweats for over 16 yrs even before the surgery but I'm literally hot & flush ALL THE TIME.  ALways have my air conditioning on and ceiling fan, plus only sleep with a very lightweight blanket & sheet & that's in the winter time.  Hormone patch never worked for me.  Oh well.   I'm going on 55 now &hope to God I stop being so damn hot no later than 60!!!  Never regret having my total Hysterectomy.  For me personally, it was no big thing at all pain-wise & never once affected my sex life with my husband, thank God!!!  My grown kids are 34 & 31 & I have 2 grand children.  It's not like I was ever going to have more children or anything.  
I am very grateful for this forum. Despite a medical background, nothing fully prepares you for having your body cut open.

One week ago I underwent IVF extraction, in the hope of having a baby. I have premature ovarian failure at 34 years old. Within 4 days of the extraction I was admitted to the hospital for horrific abdominal pain, learning I had ovarian torsion, rupture of a hemorrhagic cyst, and an abdominal bleed. Laparoscopic surgery removed a hematoma, stopped the bleed, and repaired the torsion. I am now 2 days post op. The 2 embryos created last week did not survive. I am bloated, in pain, and trying to emotionally sort out what has happened in one short week. No baby, a battered up body, and so many unanswered questions. Here is the summary of what I have found on this thread to be helpful for me:

Top 10 Things I Have Learned About Laparoscopy Recovery

1) A heating pad placed on the abdomen on a low setting helps pain immensely

2) Honey lozenges and herbal tea help the scratchy throat from intubation

3) Getting up a couple times a day to stand on the porch, get sunlight, and breathe in fresh air has really made a difference

4) Bending over is hard. Picking stuff up is hard. Pretty much everything is hard. My husband is taking the week off to assist me with showering, using the bathroom, and little things I have always taken for granted. It has SAVED me.

5) Sleeping in a reclined position is a requirement despite being a natural stomach sleeper. We constructed a "couch bed" by placing a king size white down comforter folded in half as the bottom fluffy layer, and then added sheets and blankets. Pillows keep me propped up and from trying to roll on my side when sleeping.

6) Using a fat ace bandage, I have bound my abdomen (not tightly!) to diminish pain from gas and bloating around the umbilicus. It makes passing gas a lot easier as well.

7) Taking pain medications is necessary but ultimately cause constipation. I am taking simethicone for gas, colace to loosen stools, and will try mineral oil tomorrow before moving up to magnesium citrate by the end of the week.

8) Staying hydrated is not at the forefront of my mind, and my cracked lips are now a reminder to push fluids. I have a plastic cup with a screw-on lid and straw (like the ones they have at Starbucks) on my couch bed and am now constantly filling it with water, Gatorade, and iced herbal tea.

9) Lowering expectations is a necessary process. Upon return to work next week, I am restructuring my days to be no longer than 7 hours. I have notified inquiring coworkers of areas they can help me upon my return. I'm ordering a shift dress on Amazon that will hide my distended abdomen, as many posts note it will take longer than a week or two for this to go away. I am shortening family planned visits to come see me, bring food, etc to just a couple hours at a time so I can rest this week.

10) Having small things to look forward to is important. This week has been full of losses that I have not yet fully processed. I ordered a few little things online to arrive throughout the week: a set of candles, some placemats, a DVD I've always wanted to see but never took the time. My best friend is coming on the weekend to do a daytime slumber party with me, including Disney movies, chick flicks, magazines.

I want to extend my humble gratitude to the strong women who have contributed to this thread. I do not feel alone.

Mysie
I had my surgery 8 days ago. I had a 7cm cyst on my right ovary with lots of fluid in my abdomen. I was in a lot of pain on and off for a week, ended up twice in the ER before they figured out what it was. I was admitted immediately and operated on the following morning. The surgeon told me the ovary tissue was "macerated" and bleeding heavily at the slightest poke. The cyst was removed and a kind of net put around the remaining ovary tissue to reshape and support it while it (hopefully) heals.

I am feeling a little better every day but am surprised at the recovery time.

I am also shocked to learn that many posters have gone through this as a same-day procedure! I was in no condition to even get out of bed to pee until the evening of the second day.

After reading many of these reports, I realize that I am recovering pretty well. I honestly expected it to be faster. I was in the hospital for 4 days post-surgery and one day pre-surgery. I'm in Germany so I'll tell how it went here:

- It began with on-and-off partially constant dull but at times excruciating pain on my right side in my appendix area and radiating at times to my back just under my kidney. On the first day it hurt only when I was standing up, and at its worst there was strong pain in almost every position except sitting down and leaning back. One night I was totally bloated and swollen and looked how I did between 6 and 7 months pregnant. It went down a lot again overnight.

- Cyst was diagnosed in the ER via ultrasound, lots of unidentifiable matter around it. Because I had been on antibiotics for a week by then for a UTI (which was first assumed to be the cause of the pain) blood tests gave little clue to whether it was an infection. They suspected the ovary may have twisted. They warned me against doing a CT scan because of radiation/fertility risks as I am still in my child-bearing years. I was surprised to be warned by both the U/S tech, the ER doctor and the surgeon. I didn't know it was considered so risky.

- I was admitted immediately and hooked up to IV painkillers - at first paracetamol which didn't help, then something called Metamizole (analgesic) which helped a lot. I had to drink a liter of some sort of industrial-strength liquid laxative which subsequently cleared out my bowels in the space of a few hours. They seemed insistent that this was an important prerequisite for laproscopic surgery. I slept better than I had in a week. I guess the crying wore me out and the IV meds helped.

- Next morning, changed into my OP gear and was wheeled off at 9:30 AM. Woke up at 12:30 feeling fine in the wake-up room. Stayed there until 1:30PM. Then back to my hospital room.

- Incisions: a 2cm one near my left hip, a smaller one on the right, and one through my belly button. There are clear sutures tied at one end of each of the incisions. I had a bladder catheter for the entire first 24 hours. I had a drainage tube/bag coming out from my pubic area which remained until the 3rd day. This really bugged me and the incision from that is the most painful.

- I woke up absolutely starving as I hadn't eaten in about 48 house by then. I felt fine, no nausea, no negative anesthesia side effects.I begged the nurses to give me some real food, not just tea. After 2 hours I got some creamy soup and I scarfed it down. Shortly thereafter, I felt like someone was stabbing me over and over in my abdomen. I guess my stomach got moving and irritated everything. Ate some pudding later that night, very slowly. Pain was better but moved to my intestines... ouch! After that night it was all OK.

- I was kept on IV painkillers for the first 2 days, then switched to pills. Started with metamizole, switched to ibuprofen (600mg, then 400mg) days 4 and 5. Since then the pain has been very mild so I haven't taken meds.

-The first two nights I slept with pillows propped against my sides for support (like during late pregnancy). Asked for sleeping pills after that- a great help.

-At the end of the first day the nurses had me stand up and walk once around my bed to the other side. It hurt. And I was not prepared for the CO2 shock. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart and lungs. I was given a big thermos full of anise-cumin-fennel tea for the next 2 days (gas-killers). It seemed to help because it was much better the second night.

-On the second night I could stand up to go a short distance to the toilet. Day 3 I could stand up for a few minutes at a time, which then required a 2 hour nap.

- I was very tired the first few days, requiring multiple naps. Now I am 8 days post OP and am still tired, get back pain when standing, but notice I am getting stronger each day. I fell asleep this week with my kids at 8PM a few times and it was badly needed.

- I weigh about 2 lbs less than I did before surgery. My weight is very stable, I have weighed 136lbs give or take a 1/2 lb for 15 years (excluding pregnancies). At the same time, my stomach looks more bloated than usual and feels flabbier. I hope this goes away.

- I haven't had a regular BM since the procedure, just a little bit on 3 occasions. After reading this forum, I started taking Miralax today, hoping to head off constipation.

- I am supposed to cut the tied-off ends of the stitches after 10 days (or have a doc do it). The remaining material is inside and is supposed to dissolve on its own. It feels very bumpy and I'm concerned this is going to stay that way. I wonder how long it takes for the stuff to dissolve. My incisions were sewn up very neatly, and if all goes well I don't think I'll have prominent scars.

Sorry it is so long, maybe it'll help someone.

After all this I have to say I'm glad I was able to stay in the hospital and recuperate for so long. I would have been a mess if I had to go home and deal with day-to-day stuff right away, if only passively. It makes me appreciate the healthcare system here- I will not see a bill or have to deal with insurance at all. I can't imagine having to fight with my insurance co. on the phone to get this covered after an ordeal like this.

Now I'm just waiting for the official pathology report... hoping it's all OK. Tumor marker CA125 was slightly elevated at a value of 53 U/ml- whatever that means. That's one thing the surgeon didn't talk to me about, I just saw it in my discharge letter. I won't be able to fully relax until all the results are in.
One thing I forgot to mention in the post above-

This procedure seemed to have kickstarted my period. I was not due to start of another 10 days but started bleeding about 24 hours post-surgery, and it went on for 7 days. I'll see if I start bleeding again in 2 or 3 days, which is when I was originally due to start.
Last month I had to get surgery to remove a cyst. July 11. I still don't know what kind. But it was the size of a large orange. I lost my right ovary. I'm only twenty. But the surgery was three tiny incisions. When you wake up it is cold. For me I was so cold I went into shock. I was released an hour and a half after my surgery. I slept the day away and started walking around the next day. I did more and more every day for the week I took off of work. I was still a little slow when I got back to work but my incisions are finally practically healed. The only thing that is bothering me is that I'm very nauseated still and my right side is still VERY tender that my cats can't even crawl up on me. Does anyone know what the problem is?  
Hi, I've been reading a lot of the posts here as I found out yesterday that the 6.1 cm cyst I have needs to be taken out. Went to the ER last month after severe abdominal pain that my GP told me was just a stomach bug. ER doc told me it was either a hemorrhagic cyst or endometriosis on (or near, doc said it looked like it was a little ways off the ovary) the right ovary and to go to a gyno asap. I went and she told me to take BCP for a month and hopefully that will take care of it. When I went back yesterday, she did a trasvag ultrasound and said it hadn't shrunk at all so it was probably a dermoid (since I am only 23 and other factors, I guess) and that I needed to have it out. She also said there was another 3.5 cm cyst on the other ovary but I saw it on the screen and from my bit of medical knowledge I could tell that it was a simple cyst just filled with fluid, so hopefully she will leave that one alone so I don't risk losing that ovary too. Gyno said she would only take the right ovary if necessary but seeing how many people on here have ended up having an ovary taken kinda freaks me out. I've also never had surgery so I'm kind of scared about that too.

Here is my question. I've been able to gather from other posts that I should:

plan to take off at least a week of work (no prob, my boss is great)

get throat drops for intubation soreness

stock up on meds to help relieve gas and constipation

eat foods with fiber and that are easy on your stomach

drink lots of fluids

walk around regularly

set up a comfy little nest of sorts

rest a ton

Now, from people who've had a laparoscopic cystectomy (praying it doesn't turn into an oophorectomy) is there anything else I should be doing to make this as easy and painless as possible? Do you have any other tips or tricks or words of wisdom for me?

Thanks, Shannon
Shannon - Based on my over-treatment experience (hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries for a benign ovarian cyst) and my connections with so many other women with similar stories, I am going to give you my thoughts.

I am surprised she only gave BCP's one month to shrink the cyst. The standard seems to be more like three months or so. And if it does not grow, then continuing to monitor it may be an option. It sounds too like the type of cyst is not concerning as far as malignancy (hemorrhagic, endometriomas, and dermoid cysts are all benign) so that should not be a reason to rush into surgery. Ovarian torsion is a concern when the cyst gets too large but I thought generally less than 7 cm is acceptable for monitoring. Of course, there are some cysts that will not resolve on their own. But since she was willing to prescribe BCP's and do another ultrasound, she must have thought it could resolve.

And if the cyst on the other ovary is simple then there should be no reason to cut on that ovary at all. I personally would be concerned that she will remove one ovary and maybe even both. Even losing one ovary can cause permanent problems such as reduced fertility and even an early menopause which has very serious long-term health implications, even in women who are already post-menopausal at the time of surgery since the ovaries produce hormones into a woman's 80's.

I had concerns about some things my gynecologist said but I dismissed them because I had trusted him for 20 years and could not fathom that he would needlessly remove any organs. But he did. I was 49 years old at the time but it has impacted every aspect of my life and even my appearance. I wish I had sought out second, third, fourth opinion doctors on my own versus going to the oncologist to whom he referred me for consultation. I also wish I had known how common it is for healthy female organs to be needlessly removed. And most importantly, I wish I had altered the surgical consent form (regardless of who did my surgery) to state that no organs could be removed if the frozen section showed that the cyst was benign and had my surgeon sign off on the revisions and kept a copy for my records.  

Factors that contributed to my over-treatment were that I was raised to pretty much obey authorities and I listened to others' concerns about delaying surgery instead of listening to my intuition.  
Thanks for replying to me. I think that the reason she is going ahead with the surgery is for a couple reasons. I ended up in the ER last month because of low BP and probably the most severe pain I'd ever felt before. That's how I got referred to this gyno. She got the ultrasound reports from the ER visit and they were somewhat ambiguous as to what kind of cyst it was but it wasn't a simple cyst, that much they could tell. The ER doctor said that it was either endometriosis  or a hemorrhagic cyst initially and when I saw the second ultrasound the gyno did, she showed it to me and it looked pretty solid, not an empty black space like a simple fluid filled cyst would. She gave me the pill for a month to see if it shrank at all and it was exactly the same size as it was before the pill which she said pointed towards a dermoid as opposed to an endometrioma, which should have shrunk at least somewhat from the pill. I'm guessing she is worried about torsion since I was in so much pain last month and since it seems most likely a dermoid, it isn't going to go away on it's own. I trust her, even thought I haven't known her long. She's been in practice for more than 30 years, has very impressive credentials as far as schooling, and has won awards for her skills so I'm not worried about any of that. And I really don't think she plans on doing anything about the simple cyst. She never mentioned it more than to say that I had one on the other side. She didn't said anything about removing it or even anything about waiting to see what it did so I am pretty sure that she isn't planning on doing anything.
I understand the pain. I also had debilitating pain but it only lasted one day. I hope your surgery and recovery go well!
Hi Everyone I am 26 and about to have my third ovarian surgery on left ovary to remove 2 dermoid cysts about 2cm each. First time round they were 10cm and 8cm on right and left ovary, second time 4cm and 6cm. Just wanted to see how women went after multiple surgeries. I have less than half an ovary of left and quarter left on right side so am a bit worried
I am getting a cyst removed on the 25th of this month. It is about the size of a golf ball. I am a full time student and I have to miss class the day of my surgery and I was wondering if it would be possible to go to class the day after my surgery? Keep in mind I will be sitting and doing work in class there is no heavy lifting involved whatsoever. I have never had surgery or any kind of anesthesia before so reading all of these comments are making me feel more comfortable with the surgery.
It's hard to say really cos I have a high pain threshold and I was operated on the 2nd September and left hospital that night although advised to stay in and was re admitted 2 days later with a fever and pain and found I had an infection that showed in bloods. My surgery was my left ovary removed that had a 6cm cyst, an ablation( burning of lining of the womb) for heavy periods and endometriosis and whilst they were operating they noticed a cyst on right ovary which was drained. I was then scanned after leaving second time and cyst had filled back up two days later so got to see surgeon on 1st October instead of 3 months. I am now going back to work on the 20th. I have only just found it comfortable to sit for long periods in past week but prob cos of infection
Hi Nikki,

You mostly need two weeks before returning to work. I would suggest taking it easy, your health comes first! I was out for three weeks to remove a 9.4 cm cyst on my right ovary. It's different for everyone but the estimated recovery is two weeks.

Good luck!
Hi everyone,

I cannot stress how much this forum helped me with my laparoscopic surgery. For anyone who is anticipating surgery, I hope that my experience can relieve your worries in some way. I'm 28 years old and diagnosed with endometriosis, early May 2014. I've never had painful periods until the last 3 years, these period pains would occur before, during, or after my cycle has ended. The pains are quite excruciating lasting for an hour or more even after taking 500mg Tylenol while using a heating pack! I would keel over in pain and give into a fetal position in bed for hours. I also want to add that I was/am currently on the pill and didn't feel this was normal at all! I've asked my previous Ob/gyn many times and she would assure me that I was fine and to not worry. My bf and I didn't feel this was ok anymore, so I switched doctors demanding an in office ultrasound. At first we thought it was fibroids, but my office scan showed a mass the size of an orange. That's when the hunt for a specialized Ob began.

Following my visit I was able to find a specialized Ob surgeon, from there I had a detailed ultrasound intra and extra where they found a 9.4 cm cyst growing next to my ovary. My doctor decided to act quickly and attack the matter quite aggressively. I had surgery on July 3rd to remove this large mass. I later found out that the cyst was so large it caused my ovaries to kiss. The doctor was able to save my ovaries and put them back in its place.

Everything I read on this thread was 90 percent true for me!
You definitely need plenty of rest, fluids, and stool soften eras. Take pain killers as you need it and ween of it when your body is able.  I finished my surgery in 2 hours, I wasn't able to leave the hospital till much later since I was so tired and groggy from surgery. They sent me home with a abdominal brace and a bunch of pain killers.

I wasn't able to eat much the first day and threw up from the smell of food. I took Vicodin the first two days and switched the stronger Advil as the Vicodin made me nauseous and dizzy. The second and third day my shoulder and diaphragm hurt so much from the gas! So remember to walk when you can, to release the gas! By a week I was able to walk around, get up by myself, but walk very slowly.

I suggest having someone help you around, get up/on bed, and use the restroom. Don't push yourself too hard! Take it easy and I cannot stress sleep whenever you feel tired. Drink lots of fluids to flush all the pain killers out of your system and eat a lot of fruit. Take walks everyday, even if it's inside your house. Try to avoid any stairs or anything that will cause repetitive movement on your abdomen.  Lastly, wait for your wounds To dry for about 4-5 days before you shower. I had my bf wipe me down with soap and a wet cloth, I wrapped a large shirt around my body to keep my abdomen dry. This will help you recover faster and avoid risks of infection!

I will be on hormone therapy until I want to have kids. Keeping my fingers crossed that my endo can be controlled!

Good luck to you all, be positive, don't over think it or scare yourself from people's bad experiences.
I'm 22 years old and i was recently told i have to remove a 6cm cyst from my left ovary. I'm nervous about my procedure and most importantly the pain i will feel afterwards. What kind of medications were you provided with afterwards? And how long do i actually need for recovery? My doctor says about 5 days, but i have a feeling that might not be enough. I was also diagnosed with PCOS, i'm told this makes it difficult to conceive, has anyone with PCOS been able to get pregnant? if so how, did you need fertility drugs? I'm, not thinking about having a baby soon but i want to make sure i will be able to when the time comes.
I had a 25 cm ovarian cyst and had keyhole surgery but I needed a 3 inch incision to remove the cyst.  I was in a lot of pain and stayed in hospital for three days (was not prepared to do so!) and one time I went into shock from the pain and was put on oxygen and they injected a pain killer.

I was prescribed 30 mg Codeine/500 mg Paracetamol combination which is used in relieving severe pain. I was in bed for 10 days - 3 days in hospital and 7 days in bed.

I had severe insulin resistance myself and have reversed it by getting rid of all refined sugar in my diet. I ate too much chocolate (even though I didn't overeat) due to magnesium deficiency. Magnesium deficiency was due to insulin resistance. O_o lol

Here is some info on insulin resistance and PCOS...

Insulin Resistance - The #1 Surprising Reason You Can't Lose Weight...

"What triggers it [insulin resistance] in the first place? Experts believe that for many people, the problem stems mainly from a diet overloaded with simple carbohydrates -- bread, pasta, pizza, pastries, crackers, chips and other processed snack foods, sweetened beverages, corn syrup, and other quickly-digested sugars and starches. In other words: the typical modern Western diet. Faced with constant, quick hits of easily digested energy sources, the pancreas keeps pumping out insulin to help the energy get into the cells, but the overwhelmed cells finally say, "Enough!" and stop paying attention."

PCOS & Insulin Resistance - Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine and Surgery..

"In the 1980s, research on the role of insulin resistance in the development of PCOS became widely known in the fertility treatment community. It appears that insulin resistance probably contributes to the development of PCOS in most women. In some of these women, insulin resistance is related to obesity and genetic factors, both of which are also linked to PCOS."

And some info from the website Diet Doctor...

How to Get Pregnant...

"The most common cause of infertility today (before menopause) is PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. This is a hormonal disturbance closely related to metabolic syndrome. Women with PCOS often struggle with their weight and may have acne and a tendency towards excess facial hair. They also often have irregular cycles, longer than 28 days.

Not surprisingly eating a low carb high fat diet can work wonders for infertility due to PCOS, like for other similar metabolic conditions (e.g. obesity, type 2 diabetes)."

LCHF Helped Me Get Pregnant!”...

"Isabelle Nelson is another woman who struggled in vain to get pregnant, due to the common hormonal imbalance PCOS. But after adopting a LCHF diet and losing 35 lbs in two months what so often happens happened:

Just for fun, she took a pregnancy test. The test showed that she was pregnant.

- I did not believe it. I ran to show my husband, who did not believe it either. I guess it was at the first midwife appointment that I began to understand. I was in a state of euphoria, says Isabelle Nelson."
I am due to go into hospital in tomorrow morning....I really appreciate reading up on all the different views and results from laparoscopic surgery...this is helping alot in my mental attitude.......really appreciate all the comments that have been posted ...have managed to put together what I feel will help me...I guess the biggest help has been the positive attitude shown by you all....hope to pick up on this site once I've had surgery...go well everyone
Hi everyone,
New to this board and feel relieved that there is a place to go for advice and tips.
I was just told yesterday that I would need surgery to remove a 10cm cyst on my right ovary.  Due to the size of the cyst, the Dr. said that it would be better to remove the entire ovary.  She said she would try and do the laparoscopic surgery, but she couldn't guarantee it until she got in there and saw what she was working with.
My question is mainly about recovery time for laparoscopic vs laparotomy.  My Dr. told me about 1 week for laparoscopic and about 6 weeks for laparotomy.  I asked if she meant bed rest for that long and she said that it would mostly be soreness.
I know everyone heals differently, but what can realistically be expected for both surgeries.  The reason I am asking is that I have a few trips planned and want to know if it's realistic to be back to "normal" in one months’ time.  Both trips are beachy/pool trips so obviously I would be wearing a swimsuit and would like to get in the water.  Is that even possible after only a month of recovery?  Would it be wise to wait to set up the surgery until after the New Year since my final trip will be the last week of December?
Hi everyone

I had a laparoscopy , removal of a 6cm ovarian cyst and surgery for endometriosis on Wednesday 22nd October. The surgery was more complicated than expected (almost 3 hours) and unfortunately they had to remove my left Fallopian tube as the cyst was stuck solid. They kept the shell of my ovary so that normal ovarian functions can resume. I also had endometriosis attached to my bowel. I spent 2 nights in hospital and now I am at home recovering with tablets and suppositories for pain relief.

The only reason the cyst was discovered was because we had been ttc for 1 year with no joy so I went for a check up 3 weeks ago. Has anyone here conceived with 1 Fallopian tube? Will I only have a chance of conceiving every 2nd month?  Although I have been ovulating in my right side my gynae wants to put me on fertility meds in 6 weeks time to help me fall pregnant quickly.

Good luck to everyone who has their laparoscopy coming up.

My mother was sick for almost two years and she went from doctor to doctor for a diagnosis. She finally decided to travel back to where she used to live specifically to see her old doctor and he correctly diagnosed her properly with infected fallopian tubes. One was so damaged it had to be removed and the other tube was scraped out plus she was given antibiotics. She also had an inverted uterus (one cause of infertility). My mother didn't worry about trying to conceive. 6 years later she had me and another 2 1/2 years later she had my sister. :)
Hi "hoping",

Same thing for me.  10 cm cyst...right ovary.  Laparoscopic surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  How is your recovery?  My follow-up is in two days.  I am interested to know why I have 3 incisions but none on my right side?  And why does it still hurt like crazy if I am up too much or bend on that left side by the incision but no pain on the right side?
What is your recovery like?
recoveryquestion

I am recovering from having my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed last week.  I am nearly 60 and quite grateful my cyst turned out to be not cancerous.

As to the belly button question.  My is hideous now.  My old one seems to be "missing" somehow and I have a super deformed long slit for a belly button.  Oh well, at my age no one is going to see it anyway but me and my husband.  He's had enough surgeries that we just overlook the changes that take place in each other's bodies and love each other.

I got on this site to try and find out how long before I can ride my stationary bike again.  Looks like 6 weeks for a moldy oldy like me from what most people are saying.
Sorry you had your ovaries removed but glad the cyst was benign. Mine were also removed for a benign cyst and my abs are also "deformed" looking :( Hoping your recovery goes well.
Love the DONT BE ALONE suggestion. I am a homeschooling mom of two. ( this means my children don't leave my side. EVER.). My husband works out of state. I am 9 days post op. Cysts removed from both ovaries plus d&c with ablation. Strong pain meds helped. Now Tylenol is my best friend. If I ever have to do this again, I will hire live in help for 2 weeks.SERIOUSLY.  Children(7&11)  are not able to truly understand. Sometime, love hurts. Especially when it is a spirited hug across those pesky cuts. The emotional toll was enormous. Hubby was home for the first three days. Thank God!  Unfortunately being home alone after that was a failed experiment. I just had NO PATIENCE. He is Back home for the holidays and I feel like we need therapy or something from the emotional drain. I think the fatigue and irritability were my greatest challenge. Also, I naively believed I would be back to myself in 4 days.  I'm better but not quite back.
I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a 5cm tumor along with my ovaries and tubes. The surgery went well every thing came back benign I was sent home with dilaudid pain pill, I kick them the next day made me feel bad. I used a walker to get around to do things and move the gas. I was good with the pain it was 2 to 0 by the forth day not constant pain, turning in bed or coughing yes. Two weeks later I am starting to feel this sharp pain that comes and go I also feel it lying down. It will be 4 weeks in 2 day we had bad weather so I had to reschedule my appointment,
Hi recovery question, how your follow up? I just got same surgery done  last 3 days.i read your post and really want to know how your follow up.i got 3 incisions on my left side and pain on my left but got right ovary removed .my surgeon left before I woke up so I have to wait until next 6 weeks for the follow up appt. to know the answer.
Hello fellow CyST☆RS!  I am so happy to have found this forum and this thread in particular.

Today is Monday, March 16, 2015.  I went in for two Laproscopic surgeries on Saturday morning, and got home yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon.  I currently live in Europe, and the language barrier made it diffucult for me to understand all of the answers to my questions, so I have posted them below, in hopes that any of you can shed some light on them for me.  ♡

I had a 34mm cyst removed from the side of my right ovary that had been growing there for seven years, plus two smaller cysts on the same side removed.  Endometriosis  was found and removed also.  At the same time as the gyno surgeon operated, a second breast surgeon Laproscopically removed a fibroedonima from my right breast.  I have three incision points on my abdomen and one on my breast.  

My surgery experience went like this:

I had a severe reaction to the bladder catheter, and had it removed immediately.  It burned and hurt for two hours after only being in for about 4 or 5 minutes.  I was very scared that the nurse did something wrong, tore something, or that I had an allergic reaction. I felt like I had to pee every 2 minutes, and when I did it burned like hell.  It felt worse then the worst Urinary Tract Infection I had every had.  I still am unclear as to why this happened.
*****QUESTION:  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Do any of you know why this happens?

The surgeries went well.  All of my reproductive organs remained in tact, and my breast implant was not damaged at all.  

After surgery, my blood pressure began dropping rapidly.  from what I recall hearing, it got as low as 60/40.  There were at least 10 nurses and doctors in the room by then, and I was terrified and going in and out of consciousness.  They gave me something, and my blood pressure gradually got back to a healthy state.  They monitored my blood pressure about every 20 minutes the rest of my stay, so I got very little sleep.
*****QUESTION: Has anyone had a similar experience?  Do any of you know why this happens?

I am doing okay today.  Very tired, achy, pain, bloated, nauseous.  I woke up many times from the pain last night.  But I am very very happy to have it over with.

♡♡♡

I am scheduled to have combined laparoscopic surgery in 2 1/2 week's time .The first procedure is to remove 3 cysts of varying size ranging from 3-5cm ,one cyst inside the left ovary, the second cyst inside the right ovary and the third (the largest of the 3 cysts) near the area of the left ovary pelvic/uterus region and the second procedure is to remove a cyst found in the bladder The two procedures will be coordinated at the same time with a urologist and gynaecologist oncologist .
I'm not sure whether any ovaries, fallopian tubes or other will also need to be removed as I have my first gynaecologist appt. in a few days time.
I was wondering whether anyone has had surgeries coordinated together as I'm guessing recovery will be slightly longer .Are sutures 'glued' or typical suture type?
I will require a catheter for aprox a week and plan to stay in hospital for as long as I need .:)
Thank you for all your comments and wishing everyone speedy recoveries:)
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm scheduled to have an ovarian cyst removed from my left ovary tomorrow afternoon. I have LOVED reading all your stories and words of advice and overall am feeling a lot calmer about things now than I was last night before I read this thread. What I'm wondering is if anyone was like me and how their surgery went because I am really scared about it now, mainly due to my weight and the anaesthetic.

I am 21, am 5 foot 3 (160 cm) and weigh 124kg (not healthy, I know :/).

When I went for my consultation and pre-op exam they said that I really have to try to get my weight down because it will be healthier but despite my attempts since then (consult was in February) I haven't been able to shift the weight. I am still working hard because sometimes these things take more time for different people but what I"m wondering is if anyone was my size/height when they went for surgery and how it went.

Any general words of advice/comfort would also be incredibly welcome as you guys helped me so much last night and I would be an emotional wreck without your help already!

Hope everyone is having a great day and thanks again girls for all the calming words of comfort and thanks in advance for any advice specifically about my question.

Poppy xxxx
Welcome to the community. I am sorry you are going through this. I had surgery for an ovarian cyst but I was not overweight. At least you are young which is a plus. Hopefully, your surgeon plans to remove just the cyst (cystectomy) since removing an ovary can disrupt normal hormone production. The other ovary typically takes over for the one removed but not always.

I hope your surgery goes well. Please be sure to follow your doctor's instructions during recovery for proper healing. And then after that you can work on the weight loss. Let us know how your surgery goes.
I had a laparoscopic cyctectomy last week. I just want to say I had no gas pain at all, I was very scared of that but nothing, so that means not eveybody has to have a gas pain after this type of surgery.
Aloha,  I'm 65 and scheduled for laparoscopic surgery this Friday to remove a 5.3cc cyst on my right ovary.  Non cancerous.  She wants to remove both ovaries 'since she's there' and am concerned.  Not liking the stories I've been reading and freaks me out w/ the recovery time and bloating.  I'm in good shape and active but yikes! didn't think post surgery would be so painful.  I'm debating if I should have the surgery.  Has anyone had hormone issues since their surgery?
PS  I've never had any kind of surgery before!
Oma to 3
Welcome to the community. I am so sorry you are faced with this decision!

Since my unwarranted organ removal 9 years ago at age 49, I wish I had done things VERY differently and not allowed any organs to be removed (except MAYBE the one ovary). I have since been shocked and appalled by the gross overuse of female organ removal surgeries - hysterectomy and oophorectomy. Only about 2% are done for a cancer diagnosis and a very small percentage are done prophylactically for inherited risks (BRCA1+ and BRCA2+ being the most prevalent ones).

The ovaries of intact women produce hormones until at least age 80 for every aspect of health. During a woman's 70's, her testosterone level reaches that of a young woman and this testosterone can be converted into estrogen as the body needs. No hormone "replacement" can replicate what is lost when the ovaries are removed. Plus being part of the endocrine system, it puts added stress on the other endocrine glands (e.g., thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, hypothalamus) and you become a lifelong patient trying to fix the iatrogenic (doctor caused) damage and feel / look normal again. I am still chasing that elusive normalcy!

Do you know how long this cyst has been there? And how fast it has grown? I have read that until they get to be AT LEAST 7cm, they can be monitored via periodic ultrasounds. Someone here was all ready to go into surgery for an ovarian cyst and they were going to remove all her female sex organs. She insisted on another ultrasound right before surgery (about which her surgeon was not happy) and, lo and behold, the cyst was completely gone! She was very angry that she was almost needlessly de-sexed.

So do your research and advocate for your health since you are the one who has to live with the consequences. And be sure to protect yourself via the surgical consent form if you do end up having surgery. Unfortunately, gynecologic consent forms are usually pretty open-ended leaving it up to the surgeon what can be removed once you are put under.

I hope this helps!
Hey there,

Just read your post. How were the pathology results?
Thanks so much for this post! I am 42 and fairly overweight after having my 9 lbs son at 37 weeks.  I have laparoscopic surgery scheduled for the 12th/Friday to remove an 8.4cm, clear, and nearly PAINLESS cyst from my right ovary.  The surgeon has barely had any time to discuss the procedure with me except to say where and how big the incisions would be, and that I would need a ride home that afternoon. Nothing was said about potential organ removal or any need take time off from work. (!!!)

I plan to use the pre-op chat with him to spell out the importance of keeping my ovaries (I want to give my 15 month old son a sibling!) and to make sure he has seen and signed the modified consent form that I plan to do between now and when I am admitted. I am also giving my manager a heads up about my potential time away from the office. *groan*

I am interested to know if anyone else had post-op issues with the appearance of their navel? Mine is a decided innie and I like it. Probably the least of the things to worry about, but I was off the pain meds within 48 hours of my c-section, so I'm optimistic =)  

Finally, I'd be grateful if any readers like you would say a prayer, send me positive energy from 10AMEST-4pm EST this Friday!

thanks so much!
Welcome to the community. I am also glad you found this discussion so you know to modify the consent form to protect your organs. Did your surgeon not say if he planned to remove JUST the cyst or the whole ovary? Some surgeons do not have good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills.

I hope all goes well with your surgery! Please post back and let us know how it went. Sending positive thoughts and prayers....
I am 47 yrs. old, and I had my right ovary removed two years ago due to a 9cm. cyst. I had been in terrible pain for years because of it, and something happened and I was in unbearable pain one night and had to go to the ER. An ultrasound discovered the 9cm. cyst. When my surgeon came in to talk to me I was on pain meds, and when you are in as much pain as I was, you just want the pain to stop. I wish that I had taken the time to educate myself before going into a surgery that would change my life. My surgeon told me that my other ovary would take over in producing hormones, and it has, somewhat, but not completely. After surgery I had terrible night sweats and many symptoms of surgical menopause. I wish I had asked the surgeon to keep my ovary, or even a piece of my ovary, in the hopes that it would begin producing hormones, because I have heard cases of even partial ovaries working. This is why I am writing this post! If you are heading into surgery, I strongly agree with the other women on this forum who are saying to make a clause in your consent agreement that states that your organs cannot be removed unless certain conditions are proven. Since my surgery I feel ten years older; I have gained 30 pounds, even though I am fighting it on a daily basis; I feel fatigued and tired more than I used to; some of my joints ache terribly at times; my digestion is off and I struggle with constipation or diarrhea; I have to sleep with a bottle of Tums by my bed because my stomach acids aren't producing enough; I have started taking ox bile to aid in digestion, which reduces the need for tums; I have experienced the "crazy" feelings and extreme depression and sadness that many women express from lack of proper hormone production; my periods are sporadic and I have had heavy bleeding and spotting at times; and my skin and hair are more oily with more hair growing where it is not wanted! I took natural progesterone cream when I started having symptoms of estrogen dominance, but now I have been off of them for two months and feel so much better that I am thinking the cream made my symptoms worse. Anyway, I think my doctor thinks I'm a little crazy because it is hard to explain to him how I feel and the consequences of having one teensy, tiny ovary removed. Please, please, listen to the women who say to proceed with caution in removing an organ. Some women may be fine to have something removed, but your chemical system might be radically different than other women! I feel like other organs were damaged during my surgery, like maybe my gallbladder? I have so many symptoms of gallbladder issues that only started happening after my surgery. The one silver lining is that I am not in the terrible pain I was in with my cyst, but, and I am being completely honest, I would take that pain and cyst back to lose 30 pounds and be younger again. So, if you are contemplating surgery, tread carefully and cautiously! Your female organs have more purpose than just having babies! Hormones control everything that happens in your body. They are the chemical messengers! Like others have said, your hormones work into your 80s, even after menopause, so don't just think you are going to go through menopause anyway so you don't need your ovaries! I hope my story will help prevent someone from blindly having female organs removed. Also, if you are considering a hysterectomy: Wow! I am so thankful I still have my uterus. Don't do it! Do your research! You don't want the terrible symptoms that some women have expressed after a hysterectomy: back pain, no sex drive, four inch vagina, constant joint pain, aging over night, multiple surgeries to fix collapsing organs, bladder problems, digestion problems, anger and emotional problems, bonding with children problems, personality change, divorce, and on and on. I am so thankful I still have my uterus! May God be with you as you make your decisions!
I am SO very sorry that you were also over-treated and harmed! Thank you for sharing your story.

Like you, I experienced symptoms of gallbladder disease after my organs (uterus and ovaries) were needlessly removed. I had fairly severe diarrhea for at least 9 months. Over time, it settled down for the most part but I still have episodes and it has been 9 years since my surgery that changed every thing about me :(

Have you considered trying birth control pills or hormone "replacement" (in quotes because nothing can replace our ovaries) for your symptoms?
Thanks for sharing ladies. I had my right ovary and tube removed due to large ovarian cyst and several small ones.  A medium size was also removed from my left ovary. I was in the hospital for three nights and four days. Recovery has not been a walk in the park. I couldn't eat for days due to the medications to control the level of pain I felt. And already anemic prior to surgery, I got even more so. Now I'm on an iron supplement as well.

It's been exactly two weeks. Here's my experience and advice: Because you may not be able to lay or sleep on anything but your back, your hips will be in pain. Walk a lot, like everyone else says. I'm still not able to walk much. And one short block takes me ten mins. I used to be super active prior to surgery.

Another thing is,  there will be ups and downs. Some days you'll have to decide between a shower or a short walk. Be kind to yourself and be patient because it gets frustrating.

Another acidic food. It can burn your stomach and make you not feel well.

Seriously, when your body say go to sleep. Go to sleep.

Your stomach will feel really sensative to touch. Like I said, it's been two weeks and that hasn't changed much. I wonder how normal that is?

Avoid stairs. Trust me. And be prepared to constantly be parnoid you tore your internal stitches.
Welcome to the community. Thank you for posting your experience. I hope your recovery goes well! Watch for menopausal type symptoms since removal of one ovary can disrupt natural ovarian hormone production. Hopefully, your other ovary will take over but that does not always happen.  
Hello Biancab22,
I wanted to share some information with you in case it could help your situation. I am getting my ovary removed soon because of the demoid cyst that is growing on my left side. Demoid cysts are a solid mass and will not go away on there own. Regular cysts are usually fluid filled sacs that will most likely burst on their own. I feel your pain of being young and with only one ovary left so if any of my experiences can help you make your decision of how to proceed...well I hope they can. My cyst has taken up almost the whole space of my ovary, this is mostly why the ovary cannot be saved. I encourage you to get an ultrasound as soon as possible so they can determine if your cyst on your remaining ovary is more of a solid mass or a fluid filled one. If it is a solid mass then your best hope to save the ovary is to get the surgery done as soon as possible! You may be able to save it if the mass has not grown too large. I believe that there has to be a different type of surgery in order for this to happen (laparatomy instead of what most people are referring to here - laprascopy) a laparatomy is when they have to cut into your abdominal wall so it is going to be a much more 'agressive' feeling surgery. Some doctors might think that there is a large chance the solid mass might grow back so it is not the right choice but I totally understand the feeling of wanting to save it if you can. I also do not have children, I'm not sure I want them but I would rather that choice not be taken away from my husband or I if we decide to go that way. My sympathies are with you and I hope you are able to figure this out with the best possible outcome happening. If the cyst is fluid filled then they might be able to shrink it with birth control. Sorry if you already know this information but like I said, I was hoping to help share some of the information I received when going through this.
I have read of surgeons removing large cysts and still being able to save some ovarian tissue. The ovary is resilient (like the liver) and can regenerate if some tissue is left. According to Dr. William Parker, author or "A Gynecologist's Second Opinion" only in rare instances is all ovarian tissue destroyed by an ovarian cyst - http://ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

It seems that many gynecologists do not have the delicate surgical skills to remove large cysts and save ovarian tissue or they choose not to take the extra time to do so. Removing the entire ovary is an easier and less time consuming surgery.
Viewing 401-435 comments: