Ovarian Cysts Community
Top 10 things I have learned from laproscopic cyst/ovary removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Viewing 201-392 comments:
I had my Suegert this morning. (7cm Cyst/ mass removed. The bugger was attached to my colon). Well, they thought it might have to be open, once they saw what they were dealing with, but they were able to lap, and they let me.go.home! Thank GOD!  Just wanted to say thanks yo you ladies. Reading the comments were very helpful, and I am taking the happy pills for a day or so, but am walking, walking and walking. (and I will be starting the stool softer and fiber tomorrow ). Thanks.again!
Thank you so much to all the ladies who have shared their experiences. I go tomorrow for laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst on my right ovary that measures 6 x 7 x 9 cm. All the information here has really helped me know what to possibly expect and to have stuff ready for my recovery. I'm 33 yrs old and the last time I was a patient in a hospital was when I was born and I rarely need to go to the doctor. I'm a bit nervous, I have a general fear/anxiety of going to the doctors anyways, along with aversion to needles or anything else medical, so I hope I don't pass out! I feel encouraged by the posts though, and have faith that things will be fine. And I'm very blessed to have family that can stay home & take care of me as long as needed. Please pray for me & my recovery! I'll update as soon as I can afterwards.

Nikki
Hi everyone, my name is Patty and last Thursday I went to the hospital for an emergency surgery. I had an ectopic pregnancy in my left tube which burst and they ended up having to remove my left tube. My incision is healing great but I have this terrible pain/burning sensation in the area where they removed my tube and I can barely walk :/ I have to return to work next Saturday and I was wondering if anyone else had this same type of pain and if it will get better soon? I'm so tired of not being able to get a bite to eat or walk to the bathroom without being hunched over and in tears... help!
Hello past self. Did you know what you were in for? Nope, thought not. Your surgery went very well.  Laparoscopic surgery (three holes) and a three inch incision on the bikini line. The surgeon said he pumped out over 2 litres of white fluid.  Some of that white fluid escaped from the ovarian cyst into the abdominal cavity too.  Quite a few litres of saline solution was pumped into your abdominal cavity which then drained out of the 3 inch incision over the next week.

Surgeon estimated a 25cm ovarian cyst.  Guess you aren't surprised with that eh? You looked 8 months pregnant. The ovary had to be removed as well..what was left of it.  And you were so ill prior to surgery you could only eat approx 200 calories a day. Your face started developing wrinkles around the cheeks due to malnutrition. Not a good look i must say.  If you read this now you can be prepared. PS: magnesium supplements are on special.

Notes to self:

There is going to be PAIN. The lady who said there was no pain LIED.

Don't go to the bathroom. Just don't.

Your abdominal muscles will hate you. A lot.

You will be in hospital for 3 days. No, you can't leave the same day.

There is a new God: Pethidine.

Don't play with your IV in your hand. Now it hurts and you can't really yank it out now can you.

Dissolvable stitches don't always dissolve.

You won't leave your bed for a week after surgery. Get used to looking at the ceiling.

The steri strips you bought in the vain hope of keeping the laparoscopy scars in a straight line will fall off.  A lot.  Yes, your scars are now circular shaped. Lucky you will be cool with that.

Magnesium: surgery just sent your moderate deficiency into severe central. No, you won't know you have a severe magnesium deficiency for another two years. ***** to be you if you don't get this memo.
Oh and i forget to add, you will become well acquainted with estrogen deficiency.  Don't worry, the other ovary took over..after 4 months.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much for the positive information.  I am so very nervous about my procedure next week. I have been trying to prepare by finding out as much as I can, but as you discovered yourself only the horror stories seem to be posted.  I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write that it doesn't have to be the nightmare experience.
Hello all I just had a laparoscopy last Wednesday. I was a bit stiff the first two days. Now today three days later I am doing just fine. The doctor only said that he treated my eggs during surgery. What does that mean? Do I have any chances of getting pregnant now? And how long should I wait befire trying to get pregnant again? Thank you all
Positive is good.  There are such horror stories on these posting.  Each person is different.  Stay positive!
I am having surgery TOMORROW to remove a cyst on my right ovary.  I was told it should take six hrs from start to recovery to home:) I have to admit I am a bit nervous and have read MANY but not all post on here.  
I understand everyone is different but I want to know is it realistic to planning a camping trip a month after surgery?
Is there a lot of vaginal bleeding?
How soon can you drive?
are BMs really painful? I have been taking probiotics for about 11/2 wks so im pretty regular :)
Any meds for gas/bloating discomfort?
Hope you can help me out:)
I'm an extreme case so just a bit of humour. :)  My bathroom issues were all due to pain on urination. I almost passed out in the hospital bathroom it was that bad. I dreaded going to the bathroom. I had a 3 inch incision at the bikini line which was the problem. I had no issues "down there", no gas pain, was able to drive after two weeks and could of gone camping a month later if i wanted to. Would i have wanted to go camping? Umm no. :)
Thanks for your reply Red_Star...hope you are doing a lot better today!
Is it necessary to have ultrasound done before you have laparoscopic surgery?
i had my surgery on july 10th. i am still having issues. my boss was very upset that i needed another week off. its nice to know someone else hasn't had a speedy recovery. she made me feel weak. i am happy i red your post. thank you
Curious how you made out, i had similiar surgery on 7/11/12 and besides being tender on my right side I am doing quite well.  I had a cyst on my left ovary the size of a lemon, so i am worried on why my right side is sore??
Finally had my surgery yesterday morning to remove a 4cm cyst on my left ovary, since this thread helped me prepare i'd thought I'd share my experience too.

I was on a 6 month waiting list, luckily, because thats how long it took me to "accept" the surgery and get mentally prepared for it, i have a serious health/surgery phobia. I chose one of Canada's most respected/published fertility doctors and university professors as my surgeon because i didn't trust the surgeon my gyno recommeneded.

The day before I kept myself busy with preparations: I bought tylenol, ex=lax, gas-x, throat lozenges, a memery foam pillow, bean bags, gatorade, soup, jello, bran muffins/cereal, sterile gauzes and tape, baby wipes, etc. and organized it all to be within reach of my bed or couch. I took out all my undies and summer dresses and laid them out since i dont want to wear anything with a waistband. I also did a bowel prep the night before because my endo pain mostly occurs during bowel movements.

I went in the hospital at 6:30am, with pads, extra undies, my throat lozenges, and a list of questions to ask my surgeon before surgery. I pretty much cried all morning until they came to get me at 9:30am. I was able to speak to nurses, the anesthesiologist, the fellow, and the surgeon before hand, asked them all my questions and they all calmed me down, though i could't stop crying. By the time they rolled me into the operating room I was shaking and closed my eyes. I was told to think "happy thoughts", the first thing that came to mind was my dog (lol) so i just repeated his name in my head over and over again as the anesthetics were injectedinto my arm. I vaguely remember the recovery room, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I knew from past experience that I am uber sensitive to medications, sedatives included, so i was out for a loooong time. In fact the two women who came after me left before i did! At first I was in pain, like menstrual cramps, my pelvis, vagina and rectum all hurt, but they gave me something and i felt better but it made me very nauseous though.

Since my throat was dry and a bit soar i took one of the lozenges and just wet my tongue with a bit of water. It healed it right away!

Eventually I felt well enough to go to the bathroom. I had to force reaaaally hard to urinate and it burned. I was also bleeding, so I used a pad and a fresh pair of undies. I was finally discharged at 5pm. First person at the hospital, last one to leave lol.

I was relieved to see I only had three tiny scars, one on my belly button, one above each hip. I must have told the surgeon a million times to do everything in this power to avoid open surgery because I did not want scars! Though there were no bandages on them, I put sterile gauzes when i got home because the stitches were getting caught in my clothes.

Recovery is not what i expected. I can't sleep because i am a side/stomach sleeper and it hurts too much to be in any position other than flat on my back with my head support, the memory foam pillow under my butt and two pillows under each knee. Otherwise my bloated tummy, the insicions and especially my shoulders hurt way too much. Getting up and lying down are the worst. Laughing, coughing and sneezing are absolute torture I;m finding the pain meds are doing nothing for me unfortunately. Hopefully It gets better in the next few days. I find it very frustrating to be in pain, tiered, but not sleepy, just realllly bored. And I cant watch anything funny to cheer me up because laughing hurts!!!!

I haven't had any constipation yet, probably because I did the bowel prep before surgery and have only been eating soup and bran muffins!

But on a more positive note, I'm glad i was able to go through with the surgery, I feel such a sense of relief knowing this damn cyst is finally out of me and I can't wait to be fully healed. I feel like I'm finaly going to be able to get on with my life, I spent so much time worrying and stressing over the surgery its so good to be past it, and im proud of myself for surviving through my greatest all time fear!!!!
Laughing, coughing, sneezing, getting in or out of bed (extremely difficult for me).... yep one of my notes to self: Your abdominal muscles will hate you. A lot. lol!

My gynocologist gave me a codeine/paracetamol combination for the pain.  When the pain started up again, it took around 10 minutes for the pain to go away.  Longest 10 minutes ever!  You may need to try a few different pain medications to find one that works for you. :)
Oh my goodness am I ever glad I found this forum.  

You're all going to think I'm insane, or just incredibly naive, but I'll give you a bit of back story so I don't sound totally crazy.

To start off, I've been dealing with pain in my urethra and bladder for over two years.  They've ruled out just about every disease under the sun that has to do with your bladder and so my doctor started suggesting other areas.  He mentioned endometrisis as sometimes having an effect on urinating, but was curious as to why I didn't have any other symptoms.  He said I should go in for a "quick and easy" test for Endometriosis which happened to be a Laparoscopy, which I'd never heard of before.    As if my body heard what he said, I started getting pain in my left side and intercourse started cramping me like crazy.  I went in for an ultra sound and HELLO there's a cyst on my left ovary.  I went to my gyno to ask what the best thing to do was and suggested that he "simply test me for endometriosis".  He said, with a very light tone "oh, well that surgery is a little bit invasive, lets try you on birth control pills before we try something like that".  I agreed, but unfortunately my body and birth control pills, quite frankly, hate each other and I ended up with the yeast infection from hell.  Needless to say, I got off the pills and thought to myself "well there's always the option of that SIMPLE test my doctor mentioned, to see if I actually have endometrisis or not".  So I had planned to go in this Friday and have a Laparoscopy (my gyno claims he can do it right there in his office with no real trouble).

Some funny little bird in the back of my mind made me look up "How long does it take to heal from a Laparoscopy" just because I was curious and I'm going on holidays soon and wondered if I'd be able to go swimming (yes because this was the first thing on my mind for what ever reason.) Well my gosh! Apparently what the doctors failed to mention is that I'd have to take time off work (what!? You mean I can't go back to building sets the next day? (I work in film)), that I'll have to be flat on my back for several days, that they're going to pump gas into my system, that there might be scaring (simply surgery they said, no problem they said) and now my skipping down the road singing "I'll finally figure out if I have endometriosis or not" has turned into "dear god, why was I told this would be so simple and I'll heal in, what, 3 - 4 days!?" I'm absolutely terrified now and am wondering if I could ask you very helpful ladies for a bit of advice.

It doesn't seem as though my cyst is very large, in fact, my gyno said he would call once he got my ultra sound results if there was anything to worry about, and he never called me (I had to call him).  If I do have endometriosis, what are the chances of me healing by simply being on birth control? I realize that is a very loaded question, but I've never been one to heal well from any kind of surgery and don't want to put my body though any more stress (I had a urethral dilation done 2 months ago and I'm just healed now, but (side note) contracted a bladder infection... lovely).

If my doctor / gyno doesn't recommend the surgery would any of you suggest I insist on being tested? I'm so lost and confused with the weighing of my options (take birth control, never actually find out if I have endometriosis or go through surgery to find out that I either do or don't have it) that my brain hurts more than the lovely cyst growing on my left side.

Bottom line, I can't believe that TWO doctors pitched this idea to me with it either being a "simple test" or "quick and easy surgery done in an office"............... I am so glad I found this forum.

Thank you so much for sharing all of your experiences and saving my naive tummy from a surgery I may not actually need (touch wood).
5 days post lap to remove my left ovary which was housing a 4 cm complex cyst.

Right after surgery, the only incision that hurt was the lower one at the hair line. The other two have been virtually pain free. I stopped taking meds two days after surgery because I hate medication and I hate being loopy. I have been getting better each day and by that I mean being able to get up and down with less and less pain each day. The incisions are held together with glue which I think is pretty darn cool. Right away I started taking metamucil to avoid hard BM's and it made things very easy.

The only problems I have now are fatigue, bloating and crepitus.The fatigue hits about mid day and I HAVE to take a nap, sometimes two a day (and I and sooo NOT a napper!). So make sure you leave time for that. The bloating can become very uncomfortable but seems to subside when I nap so maybe it has to do with  gravity? The worst part is the air that was absorbed into my skin on the RIGHT side of my abdomen. It is SO painful that I now take ibuprofen to releive that pain. This doesn't happen to everyone though.

Overall, my advice is to have at least a week to not have to do anything or much of anything because the fatigue is the worst.
I had my surgery thursday morning, and wrote my previous reply friday night. That was really the worst of it, it got much better by saturday afternoon, I could move around a bit. over the next couple days the pain turned into occasional soarness, and the shoulder pain went away finally! I'm much less bloated too. I;m avoiding hearty laughs and sneezes but it's not nearly as painful anymore.

I'm finding that fatigue is finally setting in now. The first few days I couldn't sleep, my body was in shock and it was impossible to get comfortable. Finally now my body is getting into recovery mode and wants me to rest.

My left incision feels fine, I barely feel it. My belly incision is tender just underneath it, and hurts if I try to lie down on my belly (which is how I usually sleep), but otherwise it's fine. My right side however still feels like I've been stabbed! the area around the incision is very very sensitive and bruising a lot, and it hurts like a bad bad cramp when I try to walk. But overall it's very tolerable compare to the first 48hours post-op.

My other problem though is my low blood pressure, I've half-fainted twiceon monday from trying to stand up and walk too fast, so I have to get up (which is not often lol) very slowly and wait for my blood to circulate and stop feeling dizzy before I start walking, and take breaks. I don't think too many other people will ahve this problem unless they also have really low BP like I do.
My understanding is that a laparoscopy to diagnose endometriosis is comparatively simple, because really it just means the camera goes in to see whats going on inside. But it becomes major surgury when endometriosis is being treated, because then lesions and cysts need no be removed, whether cut, lasered, or burnt off, which obviously means much more pain and healing required. Many women have also had organs removed, like ovaries, tubes, or more during laparoscopy.

I would find out if your doctor plans on treating any lesions or cysts he finds in the same operation, this should give you a better idea of what to expect.

If you have endometriosis, you can remove it surgically if it is causing you unbareable pain and you haven't been able to conceive. But if these things are not a concern, up to you to decide if it's worth being tested.
Hey! Im a 19 year old very health girl and my surgery is coming soon. I wanted to know if anybody could tell me if the 3-4 day recovery is likely, im having three small incisions ro remove a 7cm cyist on my left ovary.  
Thank you for such a wonderful forum! I am now 5 days post op and not quite healed enough to go back to work. As has been mentioned, everyone is different and your body will let you know when it has recovered!
Red_Star,  I've been following this thread for a little while and yours sounds the most similar to mine.

My story:  People had asked if I was pregnant (no ma'm, let me go to the bathroom and cry for a minute)...I exercised A LOT to get rid the fake baby bump with no yield. At my regular checkup my doctor told me I had an  abnormally firm and distended abdomen and scheduled an ultra sound.  

Lesson: Get yourself checked out!  They found a MASSIVE (33cm X 20cm) cyst. With my waist line at 32 inches, my internal organs are all over the place, tucked wherever they can find room!  I am scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks.  Laparoscopic.  Thanks to this thread I'm more prepared!  I'm forming a "recovery shopping list" based on everyone's suggestions.

Issue: I teach a very physical, hands-on, practicum for ungraduate students training shelter dogs to improve adoption rates and am worried about being able to supervise them a week post-op.  Their orientation to the class is 6 days after surgery.  I'm very aware that each case is unique, but on average does the cyst size correlate with recovery complications?  They estimate the cyst to be 15lbs in weight, I'm figuring that is bound to make recovery harder than a golf-ball or baseball-sized cyst.  

Question:  To those of you with more extreme, impressive sized cysts,  have you found your recovery to be more complex or longer than those with smaller reported cysts?  Or does size not matter and depend entirely on the healing ability of the patient.

Thanks everyone for writing about their own experiences!  It helps us new-comers to the "cyst-club" find support!
Hey ladies

Thanks for this great thread!

Am currently recovering from my second lap, first was last July to treat Endo. Believe it or not, the Endo was back giving me grief by November :( so I've just had my second. The surgery was pretty major, there was a lot in there and they removed a lot of chunks.

Advice for people going in:

1) Have the fridge stocked with healthy goodies and treat yourself if you need to. My SO was amazing, making me insane blueberry smoothies, which made me feel nourished.

2) Keep your water and fiber intakes up.

3) Be prepared for a possible UTI - have had one both times, in fact my surgery was 2.5 weeks ago and I've still got one.

4) Have very loose, maternity wear available and comfy stuff, lots of pillows, hot water bottles, I've got a microwavable lavender heatbag which is awesome.

5) GET PAIN RELIEF. 1st lap they sent me home with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I was in agony for ten days, crying with pain. This time around I was seen by a pain specialist post surgery and went home with morphine, codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen. I slept better, I was more cheerful, I didn't feel the pain as much, which helped take my mind off of what was going on inside. I think this is particularly important if you are trying for a baby and don't want a constant reminder of your possible infertility.

6) Take lactulose solution or another laxative and if that doesn't work, don't leave it, get Micralax and make sure you go, I'm now pretty certain I've got haemorrhoids from the constipation because of the pain relief (it's worth it for the pain relief though).

7) Paint your nails, cuddle a teddy, read your favourite book, watch uplifting movies - not too funny, today I watched The Blind Side and it left me feeling so positive and I also think I cried out some of those bad hormones.

8) Expect to cry on and off. It's a nerve wracking procedure and if you're a control freak it makes it worse, also if they do a lot of diathermy (burning away endo/cysts) it is a lot for your body to take.

9) Check your stitches and make sure they dissolve or get them out, one of mine just got infected which added to the pain.

10) A personal one, I'm in the UK and not religious but semi-spiritual I guess, if you're feeling down, remember how lucky we are to have these procedures, think about those poor women in parts of the world who don't have access. I am especially grateful for the nurses who looked after me, they were incredible.

With PCOS, Endo and Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, I am effectively in pain every day, so I sympathise. Good luck and look after yourself if you are going in. :)
I had my bilateral salpingo oopherectomy yesterday and I am dying over here! The gas they put in there won't come out, my incisions are killing me and walking to the bathroom is excruciating! God I hope this pain goes away soon!
I am now 5 weeks post up and still just as tired as I was a few days after the surgery, yikes! I'm not back at work yet, my doc gave me 8 weeks medical leave. He says everyone heals differently, but my recent blood tests confirm I have some wacky type of anemia and likely a chronic infection (from way before the surgery) and so all this combined has made me exhausted, I spend about 18 hours a day in bed. so remember everyone heals differently, and my experience (as described in posts above) is not typical unless you also have anemia, low blood pressure, and a chronic infection!!! good luck :)
hey my name is hannah and i am going through two different doc. one is always pushing my surgery back and another i have three different people recommending me to her. the first doc i already have an appointment with but this other one seems welcome an comfy. i have a 10.6 cm cyst
my appointment doc said i had surgery one day so i went in and when i did she said surgery will be three weeks from now.... WTF im so scared it may explode and i need this in asap. is after surgery painful can i go to work the next day?
Any tips for the nausea?? I had my surgery on on tuesday and the nausea is quite serious... Even though it comes and goes. Also, when am i supposed to eat? Im hungry, although food sounds gross to me right now.
Hi, Im 46 years old and for the past couple of years have had a lot of pain in my stomach and groin area. I finally decided to go to the ER after the pain got bad. The diagnosed me with having a 10in by 7in cyst on my ovary.My question is ..has anyone ever had a cyst that big and had surgery for it.My dr has me scheduled for MRI and then surgery. Im terrified...
Basically im scared of any all surgeries before this month is up ill be in somebody hospital im a mom of four and surprise 2 yearold twins 11/10 wili be sadated,does it hurt my left side feels like a water balloon and its goinv to pop sex hurts my hubby is worried but is surgery the best way,please all u super women help me out im so freakin scared I broke my arm last year and had surgery nightmares for 3 months men suck we women go through sooo much we need more than a day we need a whole month
hi, i have surgery on sept 18th having 2 demoids taking off, and possibly my ovaries as well.. Im just wondering how the recovery is? Ive had 2 c-sections which take awhile, could it be the same? And also the bleeding part, is it also like after having a baby? Im soo nervous for this! Anything i should know before going in would be great! thanks!!
Thank you for all the tips!!! I will be sure to follow these!!
You are so right! even though I am playing the waiting game and waiting for more tests and then coming up with a game plan with my doctor. I feel bad for women in countries where they do not get the health care that they need and they suffer and needlessly die from ovarian cancer and others too.
This forum was enormously helpful to me as I prepared for my surgery which was on 8/28/12, so I want to pay it forward to help those who may be reading this in the future.  

My saga began on Easter when I didn't feel good.  I wrote on my calendar "sick .. pain R side."  But then it went away, and I didn't do anything about it.  Ditto a second episode over Memorial Day weekend when I felt bad enough that I googled "appendicitis" and thought about going to an Urgent Care Center but then again pain went away.  A third quickie episode on 4th of July.  (My oncologist looked at this and teased me that I must have something about holidays!).  In the middle of the night on 7/25, the pain came back big time, and within an hour of onset (accompanied by non-stop vomiting), my husband and I arrived at the ER.  Twelve hours later, after lots of meds, a CT scan, ultrasounds, and blood work, the dx was an 11 cm ovarian mass.  Probably dermoid cyst, but maybe not.    By the end of the 12 hours, the pain had subsided (they think the ovary had twisted, and then untwisted which is what caused the pain to stop) and with it, the need for emergency surgery.  The ER GYN referred me to a GYN oncologist for follow up and to schedule surgery.  She seemed very optimistic about prognosis, but I was still terrified.  My defense mechanism is to learn as much as possible, which is how I ended up finding this forum.

The GYN oncologist was fabulous, and very reassuring.  Learned that my CA125 test results were within normal limits.  We scheduled surgery for 8/28.  That gave me time to get things in order.  By the time of surgery day, I was as ready as I would ever be.  The only surgery I have ever had was a c-section so I was very nervous about the unknown of the whole general anesthesia experience.  My biggest concern as a control freak was the fact that I would have no idea until I woke up if the mass was indeed "just" a benign cyst or cancer, and whether MD was able to remove it laparoscopically (which would mean shorter recovery) or if he had to do open surgery (which would likely mean weeks of recovery and being out of the office).  We were also concerned about how to best prepare our kids and mothers without scaring them unnecessarily.  The MD told us we should tell them only that I had a cyst that needed to be removed and that I would most likely be able to come home same day, although might have to stay in hospital for a few days.  We were further comforted by this because we figured if he thought it was likely going to be much worse, that he would have suggested we do more to prep our family.  

Anyway, the surgery day went amazingly well.  We arrived at the hospital at 6 AM.  Taken to surgery at around 8.  I remember maybe 1 minute in the OR ... and then I was asleep.  I woke up in the recovery room and they told me that I had already been talking to them, asking what time it was, etc.  I had no memory of that.  Freaky!   I learned that surgery had been accomplished laparoscopically, that cyst and ovary only were removed, that prelim path results were all negative, and everything else looked fine.  Major relief!  I was taken after a little while to a different recovery room where I sat, ate some crackers, drank some soda, took some drugs, peed, and then they sent me home.  We were back home by 1:00.  It was awesome.  I felt amazingly well.  Very little discomfort.  I was able to sit on the couch with pillows to prop up my side.  Walked up the stairs at night, able to sleep towards my side with the pillows (like when you are pregnant and supporting your belly) .....

.... And woke up at 5 AM the second day very nauseous, and proceeded to vomit three times over two hours.  Not pretty.  My husband called the MD, and we were given a script for anti-nausea meds which are supposed to counter the Percocet.  They worked really quickly, and I was back to feeling better again.  Never got the horrible gas pains that other people mentioned.

I slept a lot during the first week.  Ate fine (followed suggestions of everyone on this thread).  Drank a lot.  Started getting a little worried about constipation.  The bran muffins, special teas, prunes, raisins, and apricots, and fiber foods were not doing anything.  

On Day 6 I got a UTI.  Called the MD and went over to local hospital to pee in a cup.  Got a script for antibiotics.  The MD did not tell me about an OTC med that can help relieve the sxs almost immediately, so I was in a lot of discomfort for 5-6 hours before we called the pharmacy and the pharmacist told us about the OTC stuff.  My husband made his 3rd trip back to the pharmacy to get these miracle meds.  By next morning, I felt much better. and all week I continued to feel better every day.  

By second week, I was still tired, but able to sit at my home desk for a few hours at a time to do some computer work.  When I started to feel uncomfortable, I would lie down on the couch for a few hours, then could sit again.  

At end of second week, we made the mistake of doing a shopping outing to IKEA.  DON"T make that mistake.  I did way too much walking and stayed out way too long, and I was back in real pain again after a few hours.  I pretty much slept through the entire next day.  Very stupid of me.  

The only other problem I had was that one of the incisions started to hurt, and it felt like there was a hard lump under it.  I got scared and called the MD office.  The RN conferred with the MD and they assured me this was completely normal and will likely feel lumpy for a long time to come due to the many layers of sutures under the skin.   The RN also told me that the final path report had come in and confirmed that everything is completely benign.  I started to cry for the first time since this whole saga began.

Today is Day 16.  I had my follow up MD visit today.  I am officially cleared to return to full activity, with instructions not to push and to rest as needed.  Also no heavy lifting for another few weeks.  I haven't driven yet, but I can whenever I want to.  I am planning to return to work full time next week.  

So, what did I learn?

1.  This forum has so many helpful hints.  And shows the wide range of experiences.  Some ladies have a really tough time.  But others (and I feel like I fall in this second category) have a relatively easy time.  It is good to prepare mentally for the tough time, but you could be one of the lucky ones.  Treasure that.

2.  It is OK to accept help even if you are usually the helper rather than the help-ee.  My husband and daughter have been wonderful getting me things, making things, running out for scripts, treats, etc.  Even with the best results, you will need someone to help you for the first week at least.  

3.  Don't be shy about advocating for yourself and calling the MD or pharmacy with questions.  That's what they are there for.  Our only criticism of the MD's practice is that we felt the MDs should have been more proactive with the meds.  Both my vomiting episode and the pain/discomfort I suffered from my UTI should have been foreseeable by the MDs and could have avoided if they had prescribed the anti-nausea stuff along with the pain meds, and the pyridium along with the UTI antibiotic.  We shouldn't have had to ask.  Anticipate this, and ask your own MD about these meds before you have your surgery.

4.  If you don't usually get time off, it's OK to enjoy some down time.  Don't push yourself too hard to get up and back to real life.  That IKEA run we made was idiotic even if it was initially fun.    

5.  Be proactive about the constipation thing.  It took me until maybe Day 10 to get back to some semblance of normal, and that was only after taking laxatives and stool softeners for several days.  

6.  If you get good path results, treasure that and understand how very, very fortunate you are.  

7.  Know that you are not alone.  

Best to you all.  
I left off one last thing that I learned, that really should have been the first.  If you are experiencing pain anywhere in your body that you know is not right, don't not call your doctor just because the pain goes away.  That was my first mistake and it was huge and stupid.  If I had followed up with my MD on any of the first three times I had pain "episodes," I could have probably avoided the crisis that landed me in the ER, the terror, and the resulting very expensive copays.  My resolution now that I have dodged this bullet is to get back on track with all other medical tests that have been on back burner.  
This forum is amazing. I've had three surgeries after more than 15 years of pain. A diagnostic laparoscopy in '06 where they didn't "find anything." Then five more years of pain. Then a laparoscopic emergency surgery for "appendicitis" that turned into an open laparotomy when they found my bleeding endo. That was a year ago. Now I am 2 weeks post-op from a laparoscopy for the remaining endo.

Recovery this time has been tougher than I expected. I still have pain and I have new acquired nausea and diarrhea. My doc thinks my body is just worn out from years of this. Yes, he is a new doc from the ones who misdiagnosed me.

A few words of advice:
1) Find a surgeon who has done a lot of these, and who specializes in endo. Even very good GYNs can miss a lot if they aren't totally up to date on endo techniques.

2) For surgery -- have throat lozenges at home for the intubation sore throat. And lots of herbal tea. Raspberry leaf helps with the endo pain.

3) Get ready to walk off the shoulder/gas pain. You can also lay on the floor with your knees elevated to "encourage" some air to get out. Massage is great too.

4) Heating pads. Yay.

5) Make sure you have more meds than you need. You do not want to add panic on top of pain.

6) Take your time healing. I pushed it after the laparotomy and ended up having to take more time off work.

7) If you are a woman interested in having kids, look into freezing your eggs. I did it, and I'm so glad.

8) Most important -- find a pelvic floor physical therapist. Mine is a godsend. She helped break up old scar tissue and adhesions. She slowly worked with muscles that had been in spasm for years. I adore her. Most health plans won't pay for PT outright, but may reimburse you. Ask your doc or a local hospital about someone specifically trained to work with pelvic pain.

Good luck!
Question,I have same problem feeling sick. weak. and eyes are burning and red. having surgery next tues ,did you have. these symptoms? Also hard to eat and when I do stomach gets upset they are. taking. out my ovaries and a large. cyst on my right ovary,  just feeling like.    Crap all month. do love.your comments.e  made me laugh and feel better. thanks. hope you feeling ok also,   God bless.     Robyn.
Had a 5.5 cm x4.6cm cyst (benign) removed laprascopically on Th. 20th. Today is 23rd. First few days I needed 2percoset at night every 4 hours to just drift. Now ican take 1 1/2 for bedtime, need only 1every4-6hrs daytime. Dr. Said she hoped after 7 days I wouldn't need pain med any longer - is that realistic? I guess I have 4 days left.
Progress is VERY slow. I can move a little better to get to bathroom now,, but except propped on couch, am never comfortable. In bed at night is tough...pretty much lay on part of 1 side all night, wake every 2 hours.
Any suggestions! THX for forum!
Pain rx needs?
Thx, Barbb4747
On Saturday, I had to go to the emergency room for extreme pain on my lefts side. I had a dermoid cyst on my left ovary. They released me and told me to follow up this week with a doctor. Well monday I was in so much pain and apparently the cyst grew from 2 cm to the size of a softball. It became a torsion cyst and destroyed my ovary and fallopian tube. They removed al; three. My recovery is okay. I am walking around with minimal pain. Im also on pain meds. But I cant go to the bathroom. I have had a bowl movement since saturday and my stomach is still puffy like a bowling ball from all the air. How bad should I expect the constipation to get. I even took stool softeners and milk of magnesium but I still havent went to the bathroom. Im afraid to eat anything because it will back me up even more.

Any advice? Anyone with a simlar situation
hello can any one help, i had a laparoscopy 4 days ago i thought all would go well but end up waking up to find they had to do a laparotmy to repair my bowel. After speaking to the surgeon he explained that i had severe adhesions to the bowel and my ovaries was stuck to them, they removed my right ovary but the left ovary was badly stuck to the bowel that he had to shave it down hencee the bowel repair as he perferated my bowel.

It is now 4 days after my surgery and now i am expereincing sever abdominal cramping coming in waves that are crippling me and doubling me over in pain .. what can this be im so worried

Regards Jakki
Hiya hun,

I think the excesive wind will cause disomfort, but normally you should have some kind of bowel movement within 2/3 days dont fear it it will come natutally once you have the first bowel movement things should be fine, i had similar surgery Saturday and i had a bowel movement 3 days after so im glad to get that out the way, but im still having problems with severe cramping and wind, hope this helps.x
Glad i made someone laugh. :) I was very ill and weak prior to surgery and i could barely eat due to extreme lack of appetite. I didn't have red, burning eyes however. I hope you are feeling better now.
It's crazy to be carrying such a large cyst and not even know it right? O_o  I think everyone is different for recovery time regardless of the size of the cyst. I no longer needed pain killers just 10 days after surgery. Thankfully! :)
Hi! Wow I'm glad I found this site! I'm 43 and have a almost 5 cm chocolate cyst on my left ovary. I've heard these can grow back once removed. So I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off just having the ovary removed. I'm not having any more children. I also have fibroids, and my grandmother died of uterine cancer. The whole idea of laparoscopic surgery is just making me nervous!! Did anyone have a uterine biopsy done before the procedure? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Yes i had a uterine biospsy. I have my surgery on the 23rd of October and i am so nervous about it. But when the doctor did the uterine biopsy you feel cramping but i was hurting and i spotted for a couple of days. I cried it hurt.I didn't enjoy it.
I'm two weeks post op from lap that resulted in one tube and ovary removed as well as endo removal. I went back to work last week. (My boss has had 5 laps and never missed any work ::insert snotty voice::) my doc said I had more pain than expected. I ended up back in the hospital a few days after the surgery because I was very flushed and run down. The only thing they came up with was mild dehydration. (Oh I had a fist size sermons that was all bone. They'd never seen that.) now this weekend I feel run down and yucky with mild diarrhea. Almost like what I'd imagine mild withdrawal would feel like. No fever, incisions look good. Hormones maybe? Any thoughts?

PS - lol I never had an issue wiping my butt... That *****
Hi, I has a Fibroid removed in April that was 7.2 cm in size and was growing from my right side of my uterus out to my bladder. About 1 month prior to having surgery you would've thought I was 5 - 6 months pregnant, friends believed I was and thought I was lying when I said I wasn't due to how bloated my abdomen was. It also caused alot of pain to eat because how hard and bloated my stomach was. My OBGYN told me it was possible that due to the fibroid and cysts they were making my hormone levels change which in turn can cause bloating. I hope this was of some help to you
Hi I have a date to go in for 2 cyst removal and a mass around my left ovary  on Dec 6th but they have told me that most likely I will lose the ovary . I have just started a new job  and I have told them I should only be off a week . I am on my most of day as it is in a shop and I work with  vulnerable adults . Some are challenged behaviour so Im concerned about catching the  scar
. After reading the posts I really dont know what to do .

I am post 5 days after lap to remove endro and lm concerned as still no BM, after surgery the consultant told me she was concerned as my bowel was full and l need to go and see my doctor for regular medication.

l look like l'm 8 months pregnant and in a lot of pain in lower back and my stomach l dont want to get out of bed, very tired. Is this normal?

I had my uterus removed with my ovaries on Feb 6th 2012.  My life has changed so much since then.  I cry all the time,  I get angry really fast.  I hate my Dr. now. 3 months after my surgery my doctor told me I could continue normal activities. Well I was so scared to have sex again I waited a extra month.  Well when I did have sex as soon as intercourse started I felt pain, then I started bleeding.  I had no bleeding from my vagina after surgery. Only 4 months later.  That was in May and I still havent had sex since then.   I'm scared to death to do it again.  I always had a high sex drive.  I use some pill that I put in my vagina twice a week.   My doctor is a women but she did not prepare me for what Im going through.  I asked many question but did not get the truth.   I cry because I dont feel like a women anymore.  I just turn 50 on 9/18/12 but I look 30.  But I feel so old now. I still have pain on my left side since the surgery had a MRI my doctor left something inside of me so I have to have surgery again.  My bikini cut is the only good thing she did.  Having a cat scan next week if she did leave something in me Im sueing the hell out of her.   I can't go through this again.  I feel empty inside.  I want to have sex again.  Im to scared.  I had a thought that maybe I should just give sex up since I had years and years of great sex.  But I know I shouldnt do that to myself.  Im still attractive to men and even teenage boys.  but I feel like **** inside always controling my temper when I want to just explode on people.  Well all I can do is pray to my father Jesus Christ to help me with this.
Oh I don't date teenage boys.  Lmao Just letting you know how good I look. I wonder how long that will last. Ugh
I lost my appetite after surgery. If I don't smoke weed I don't eat.
Hi Gals,

Reading all of your posts have already helped me.  I am 46 have three children 20,18 and 14.  I am a retired nurse and my father anMD and it totally ***** when you know too much about medicine!  After a regular check up I asked for an ultrasound due to some minor pain during sex and extra bloating.  1st one showed a 2.5 cm cyst on my left ovary and they said to follow up in 4 weeks.  After 2nd one it was still there and had grown to 5.3cm so know she wants me see an ob gyn surgery doc on Fri and that they wanted me in as soon as I could which scared me.  What do I expect that first visit with the surgeon?  Do they do the CA125 to everyone?  More ultrasounds or do you think she will let me know what the cyst is doing and schedule me for surgery?  I know I rambling but I also have MS and have so much other stuff going on with my health so I really need to know what to expect.  I have a lot of nerve pain with my MS so pain is not a new thing.  I am more nervous about it being malignant.  Should I be hugely concerned in your opinion?

Thanks  Sue0422
Hi Gals,

Thanks  Sue0422
I have my surgery on the 19th of this month. As everyone else I am a bit nervous. I am having a full hysterectomy, I know that it will be uncomfortable when i wake up. But there is no way it can be worse then the pay I feel every month. My unterus feels like I have knives inside it trying to cut their way out every month. Thanks for the prep tips I have a feeling they will help alot.
I had my laproscopy, a D&C and an Ablation on Nov 6th.  Dr said maybe 3 to 4 days to recover!!! NOT!  Its day 9 and I'm still barely moving around.  My incisions feel like they are almost tearing when i get in and out of bed or move from sitting to standing.  I also have a numbness in my left thigh about the size of my palm. I get tired easily and dizzy at times too when i overdo it.  I requested more time off to properly heal...still waiting to hear back from him.
JoJo
Thanks so much for posting these tips! My surgery is in a couple weeks and trying to prepare as much as possible. Anytime you can learn from others' personal experiences it is so helpful!
I am due to have an ovarian cyst (approx 3 cm) on my left ovary removed in two weeks.  Aside from my OBGYN who discovered my cyst via sonogram, I also see a great internal medicine doctor who specializes in Integrative Medicine. She referred me to a nutritionist who taught me that you can't have an ovarian cyst without having estrogen dominance in your body. So, she is going to provide me with dietary guidelines after my surgery so that i can avoid any cysts in the future. Also, since many mentioned on this forum that they get UTI's after surgery, i wanted to recommend this great supplement that my nutritionist introduced me to called D-Mannose. I was getting frequent UTI's that I suspect were caused by my cyst before it was diagnosed. D-Mannose D-Mannose is a simple sugar that occurs naturally in some plants, including cranberries. Although small amounts of D-Mannose are metabolized by the human body, much of it is rapidly excreted in the urine. Take 3 caps 3x's daily for 3 days, then take 1 cap daily for a week. I hope this information helps.
Part 1

Hi Ladies

I wanted to share my experience of having a laparoscopic right ovarian cystectomy as all your stories are so helpful.

Top lessons:
1. Get medical insurance if you can afford it. You want to be able to focus on your health, not having to worry about costs

2. Speak to the women in your family. I only found out after surgery that my sister had had ovarian cysts too. I'd have been more vigilant had I known.

3. Plan at least 2 weeks downtime. Even thought it's laparoscopic/keyhole surgery, they'll have messed about internally so it will hurt and you need rest.

4. Have something to look forward to after the surgery. It helps to have something nice to work towards such as making it for a birthday party or going on holiday.

5. Always, always, always get yourself checked if you suspect anything unusual. DO NOT ignore it. It might be nothing but if it was something, you'd totally want to know about it so you can get it fixed! I'm in my 20s with a great career that's going places, going live forever and nothing will ever happen to me. But there you go...
Part 2
It's been 3 days since my surgery and I'm still feeling pain, though not unbearable. 

I was 10 days late for my period although I'm usually regular. The previous two cycles had been slightly off with one late and very heavy and one early and very light. I put it down to stress and bad diet.

Tuesday night, I stood up to go to bed and experienced this bad cramp in the lower abdomen. Not unlike a period cramp. However the pain was so bad, lasted all night and woke me up twice. It didn't come and go but was constantly there. I woke up knowing something was wrong.

My lovely partner took the day off work to accompany me to the GP, little did he know that he would be taking the whole week off! The GP couldn't examine me properly cos it was so sore. He thought it was probably nothing but couldn't send me home in good conscience as lower abdominal pain always has to be investigated. He wrote me a referral to an intestinal bowel specialist.

I rang up my insurance company. I'm in the UK and insured with AXA PPP through my employer. They were so supportive and helpful. Not one quibble or unnecessary question. I was lucky to not have to worry about the costs and was able to afford the best care.
Part 3

So we went the intestinal bowel doctor that afternoon (Wednesday). He sent me for an ultrasound scan and it hurt because I was so sore. That's when they discovered a lot of fluid in my body and a large mass. They wanted to do an MRI to see it bett but there was a queue for it that day. We opted for a CT scan instead.

And there it was, a large mass 14 cm across on my right ovary. Size of a mango. It was so large it had pushed my uterus to the top left corner of my abdomen and stretched it. My pain was slightly to left side even though it was the right ovary affected. 

We got an appointment with a gynaecologist that very same evening. He confirmed it was a cyst and recommended surgery as I was in pain and he was worried about the cyst twisiting and cutting off blood supply to the ovary. He said to think about it and come back the next day.

That night, my period started. Strange thing was, once it started, the pain went away. I didn't feel anything unless I pressed my tummy. I saw the gynae again on Thursday afternoon and we scheduled the surgery for Friday morning. 

My gynae was great and very honest about the risks and alternatives. The altnative to surgery was to wait and see if it resolved itself. Apparently most ovarian cysts go away by themselves. However mine was too large for that and added to the risk of twisting, he recommended surgery. There was a risk of it having to be open surgery if the cyst was too large but he said he would try to keep it laparoscopic. The whole procedure was explained to us and we felt comfortable about it.
Part 4

Friday morning I was admitted to Guys St Thomas Hospital in London. Again all paid for by insurance. The nurses were sooooo good at preparing me and making me feel strong. My partner was with me the whole time and I was so thankful for that. Apparently I was so sensitive to medication that the painkiller knocked me out before the anaesthetic. I vaguely remember them saying that the painkillers would be like having a strong gin and tonic. But as a non-drinker I had no point of reference!

I got back to my ward and just needed to pee so badly. The nurses asked if I would like a bed pan. There was no way I was going to use that and to her credit, she respected my wishes and half dragged me to the bathroom. The nausea lasted all the way through to evening before disappearing.

The cyst was inside my ovary and had stretched it to a crescent. The doctor had sucked out the contents and washed it out with saline. He "burnt" the lining where the cyst joined the ovary to prevent it from filling up again. 

I also had a drainage tube coming out of me. That was the freakiest part, a tube in my side attached to a vacuum bottle that filled up with reddish fluids over the next 2 days before being removed.
Part 5

My recovery was relatively smooth and rapid. I had a bout of constipation the following day. I really needed to go as they had been feeding me well. I was straining for ages freaking out that I was stuck. They gave me laxatives, orange juice and prunes. The stomach cramps got really bad but it was such a relief when I was finally able to go on the second day after the op! Apparently the codeine had been causing the bathroom trouble so they stopped it.

I'm fortunate to experience significant pain relief on paracetamol alone so that's what I've been taking since. I was discharged after 2 nights in the hospital and am now at home recuperating. It hurts and I can't bend down so I can't imagine anyone being able to go back to work after this. Get 2 weeks off if you can. The painkillers and pain cloud your judgement so you are probably more hindrance than help anyway.

I'm eating lots of fruits and fresh vegetables and rediscovered the Andulusian Gazpacho recipe. It's easy to make, no cooking and has all the goodies to help with recovery. Recipes easily available on YouTube!

Sorry for the long posts and hope it was helpful to have a start to finish story for you girls who anxiously awaiting surgery.

Health and strength to you all.

I have a question about after surgery.
I had a 10cm cyst removed back in June 2012 and til this day I still feel irritation in my ovary.  I ignore it.
Just this past Sunday my boyfriend and I were having regular intercourse then moved to doggy style, after we were finished I noticed MAJOR lower abdominal pain the slowly moved into my buttox area feeling alot of pressure.  At first I thought I had burst another cyst, but after the pain moved lower I asked myself could it be gas?  Couldnt sleep at all that night major lower stomach and buttox pressure and soreness.  The next day my stomach almost felt like I did wayyy too many sit ups the night before, I couldnt cough, laugh, sneeze nothing. I even noticed pain in my collar bone.  Has anyone at all experienced something like this? Please let me know.
i feel so relieved to hear you say that. i had surgery a month ago and i've been having irritation although the doctors say i shouldn't. i was feeling great for a week and i thought i had finally healed but now i've been really sore again. in the moment it was ok, but when i was finally relaxed my stomach swelled and i had stabbing pain. now a few days later it feels like a throbbing pain in my hip/ side as if i exercised way too hard.
I went to my primary doctor today, she thinks I'm just backed up and that's my issue.  I mentioned the surgery and she said that she doesnt think my stomach pain has anything to do with it? I still don't believe her as crazy as that may sound.  I made an app with my OBGYN for an ultrasound.  Something just doesnt seem right to me.  I think you should make an app too!!!  Do your scars still hurt at all? The one by my belly button really irritates me I can barely wear my pant line on it.
Hi, I'm a 41 yr old mom of an adult son.
I'm so glad I found this site. I've been feeling so apprehensive and aggravated.  I was just dz with a dermoid cyst on my right ovary.  My ob/gyn says its a 2x2cm after an ultrasound the beginning of this month. That same day I had ultrasound, I ended up in ER with such severe abdominal pain, bloating, pressure as though I'm ready to give birth. ER did CT and they said it was 4x4cm. I felt foolish in ER just because, but when you can barely walk or eat, you have to listen to your body. I first went to gyn for my first exam in 4 yrs, not having insurance that's why and I moved to another state. I've been having the pain, pressure, bloating since July. When I have my period, the cramps are excruciating that I can't bear to sit down.  Anyways, ever since I went for the exam and all the drs pressing on my lower abs it made it worse. I have most pain on my left side though, but they said cyst is on right side while gyn says the left had a small functioning cyst.  The pain has been radiating to my back and down left leg.  It's not constant, but when I'm ovulating it is so much worse. I sometimes go around work holding my gut and have to lower myself so slowly and gently when sitting down.  The gyn says although it's a small cyst, she can take it off since I have the symtoms (symptoms) of a cyst.  She said she it might be better off to remove the ovary, which I don't need really.  I'm scheduled to lap. surgery the Friday before Christmas. I've read so much about cysts and the lap surgery. I just feel like I'm nuts for there were 2 different sizes. I try to suck up the pain at work and do what I need to do. At times, I wonder if they missed something on my left side. I was suggested to see a gastro in case, but I really feel it has nothing to do with that. I don't have bathroom issues nor stomach issues, never mind I can't afford to do that.  I get so confused about all this for I feel I'm being a big baby but then again, this cyst can grow.
my scars don't hurt anymore luckily but something still isn't right. My stomach swells when I walk too much (which is like walking around a supermarket or standing on the subway for 15 minutes). today was the first day i could wear most of my pants since the incident Monday. Before Monday, I'd had 5 great days.. I even went black friday shopping and was completely ok. But since Monday, I've had a gnawing pain in my side and my doctor told me to just deal with it.

When I had my surgery, they didn't remove my cyst. They ran a bunch of tests instead cos it apparently looked solid to them and they're removing it next week now that they know it's not but the doctors keep claiming my cyst is too small to be causing any serious pain. I had my ovary partially tort the week after surgery but it untorted by time the ER finally got the ultrasound ready (which took 3 hours). The only reason they think it was a partial tort is because I was screaming bloody murder and hysterically crying in pain. Someone tapped my foot and I shrieked like I was being stabbed. Yet it still took the ER 3 hours to do an ultrasound and by that time the pain was fading.

It's about the size of a golf ball but my ovary is also swollen to maybe 4x it's normal size, and I only weigh 90lbs so it's not like I have spare room for any of this. One doctor even refused to remove it because he said it was too small to be causing any problems. He didn't believe the ER doctors notes of the previous partial torsion and he told me to take aspirin when needed and resume normal activities. I don't understand how a golf ball mixed with an ovary 4x it's size in the body of someone who is 90lbs doesn't cause pain?? That sounds like a recipe for pain to me. Another doctor said there was no need to remove it either. Finally I found a woman doctor who agreed to.

I'm afraid when it's removed the pain won't go away cos the doctors keep saying it's strange that I'm even in pain in the first place.
Oh, maybe if I have enough gas, I can get revenge on my son, hehe.  I know it's just the CO2, but I was hoping to gas my son out.  Have to make some laughs. You ladies are great with some wonderful advice.  I love reading some of these comments.  The advice is so priceless.  It is my first lap and I am a little nervous. Some reason I have it in my head how I'll be up and about like normal the next day. Keeping positive. Thank you so much. December 21 can't seem to come fast enough to get this over with.
i was just diagnosed with endometriouss and i was wondering if anyone knew about this And having babys?? my obgyn is referring me to  fertility doc but as everyone knows they cost alout of money.. can u get prego without having to see a fertility doctor??
Charlie: I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, get it removed and go from there. Surgery is a big thing though, which you already know.  I would maybe get a second opinoin, is there anyone else you could go to? Stomach pain has got to be the worst. :(  Today I am finally feeling some reflief. I don't think my issues had anything to do with my surgery or cysts.  
Kelly: Good luck on the 21st.  I was okay after my surgery, the only thing that did bother me most was the air that needed to be released after the surgery like others in this post said sleep in a chair, my first night on the couch I couldnt even move from the position I was in bc of how far the gas traveled up into my neck and collar bones. Ugh walk it out!! ;) Again good luck to you!!!
I pray you feel better. Thank you so much.  God bless.
I ended up getting 4 opinions. One doctor said the cyst was definitely large enough to cause pain and urged me to remove it but she was so busy and i didn't trust her to do the surgery. she spent maybe 4 minutes with me. it was comforting though for her to validate my pain. I can't wait till I get it removed.. hopefully I'll heal quickly. i want my life back. My gas ended up in the center of my chest like horrific heartburn and stayed for 2 weeks. That's the only thing I'm really dreading.

How did you figure out what it was if it's not from the surgery /cysts? I'm happy you're feeling better!
Kelly: Thank you so much :)

Charlie: Unfortunately it was just blockage, she did do some tests though to be sure thats all it was and nothing major.  Stomach issues run in my family.  

I'd be dreading the gas pain too :( At least you are going to feel relief once this is over.  I am feeling a bit better thank you.

Good luck!!!!
I'm happy you're finally feeling better! My surgery is this afternoon. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. But soon I'll be good as new.
You are in my prayers.  Praying you have a speedy recovery.  God bless and take care.  
i had my surgery Friday.  They took out my right ovary for it kept twisting and untwisting itself, especially with the cyst. I wasn't told how big it was after surgery. I got pictures, though.  Oh boy.  now, since it was my right side, wondering why my left abdomen was cut and it looks so nasty. Dr came over when I was still loopy so I couldn't ask her anything. All she says was the ovary is out, surgery was good. Probably won't remember this.  I got my period the day before surgery. Go figure. I felt so gross. It hasn't been comig on time months before but it surprised me this time. Crazy... Had to wear mesh shorts, lol.  So sexy, NOT. lol It was quick surgery though. they really try to push you out.
Well, I remember her coming to me. The gas was excruciating in the lower tummy.  Pain pills did nothing but today isn't as bad. I can get up without screaming. I had no pain in my shoulders for I tried to walk as much as I could and had to sit on the floor. It was easier to get up there.
Now, why is my left side looking gross while the ovary was on the right side?  Also, has anyone had their teeth more sensitive after surgery? My teeth are more sensitive, hurts to brush them now.  I am going to try to go to work tomorrow, but light work. If I can't make it the whole day, so be it. Never want to go thru this again. Looks like a chunk was taken from my left side, yukka.  Drinking fluids, gas-x pills aren't doing anything. Hurts to cough, sneeze and my nose is now stuffy. But I made it. Had eaten many throat lozenges, chapstick and fluids. Heating pad for tummy. Trying not to eat too much stuff to "clog" me up. Made big pot of turkey vege soup. Got lots of miralax. Still hasn't hit me that I had surgery though. Don't want to look at my stomach anymore.
Anyways, God got me thru it all.
Hi Shawnnic,

Just wondering if you had any good info to share after meeting with the Integrative Medicine specialist/nutritionist? I am curious about the role that estrogen plays in both the forming of these cysts, and how our bodies deal with hormone changes after surgery in general. I had major depression and anxiety after I had my gallbladder removed and am looking for ways to deal with my cysts that take that into consideration

I can't believe how wonderfully helpful this forum has been for me today. The advice and the personal stories combined are great!
I've been feeling great post surgery except one little thing well 2... theres this tiny pain near the ovary. i usually only feel it when i pee but sometimes i feel a random pain in that spot as well when I'm just sitting around doing nothing.

could I have done it by being too overactive and screwed up my recovery? My surgery was on the 5th and I went back to having sex and leading a normal life a week later. I also hadn't been with my boyfriend in so long that we were a bit more active than usual, and I'm thinking maybe I should've waited longer to be so sexually active..

Also, did anyone else experience severe cramps when they got their period for the first time post surgery? I usually never cramp but i got my period Wednesday and had cramps for a bit in the morning and then again at night. I also feel a little sore near the ovary.
Whew I made it through all (most) of these posts and would like to add my story in hope it may help others. The biggest lesson I have learnt is to trust myself and the pain you are feeling is real. I have had 3 laps, the second was in feb 2012 to remove adhesions, clean up endo and insert a mirena coil while there to inhibit further growths. All went well  despite immediate post surgical cramping around the mirena . Drs said that would settle, which it did (after a couple of months!). Then I started having a very localised, sharp pain around my right ovary. It came and went a bit and I started to take more notice when, a couple of , months later, the left side started hurting too. It felt really stabby on both sides. I went to my gp to request pain meds and an ultrasound as it felt like cysts to me.. He gave me the meds but refused to order the scan saying that cysts are entirely normal and therefore an ultrasound wouldn't reveal anything he could treat. He told me to go to the hospital if it was that sore. So, the next day (when my 2yo daughter was in care) I went to the hospital ED. of course it took hours and at midday the dr told me they couldn't diagnose my problem and to go back to my gp for an ultrasound referral! I broke down and felt so disparaged by the whole process and luckily the dr must have pitied me and managed to get me a slot in for a scan at the hospital. Sure enough, bilateral endometriomas were seen. Ahh yes finally, an answer! The ED put me on urgent referral to gyne.
My urgent appointment ended up being 6weeks later. 6 more weeks of chronic, increasing pain. It was effecting my life, I couldn't do active things with my daughter or have any social life as I was always hunched over in pain. It seemed to flare up periodically (about once a week) and my period suddenly became extremely irregular and no longer cyclical in any fashion. The drs blamed this on the mirena but I had been light and regular for 6 mths on it, and now the sudden change.
As expected another laperoscopy was scheduled (3mths later!! Thanks public health !!) and the gynae said to come to ED if it was still hurting after meds at any time. This was the case most of the time, but about 6wks later I couldn't stand it - it felt like torsion- so back to ED I went. They did another scan only this time couldn't see any cysts! No endometriomas!! Of course I was 100% certain they were still there but the gynae pretty much said, well they're seemingly not there, maybe they were haemorrhagic cysts that have resolved.. Maybe you're getting ovulation pain. Ugh.. Umm no, they're still there I feel them. I felt like the drs didn't consider alternate diagnosis (ie cyst not visible on scan). So anyway all I could do is wait for dec 21 surgery appointment. Oh yeah another scan on the 17 th dec revealed also no endometriomas. I asked the scanner (?) if they could be missed and she was very firm in saying that they don't miss anything! Again I knew they were still there, pain had still been increasing, and so localised on the ovary.
Finally the big day. I was so happy to be getting it done!! Prior to the operation I spoke to the dr who discussed options for me if nothing was discovered ( ie bowel check etc).. They had also scheduled me in first up believing my surgery would be quick and easy with nothing much going on.
Went In at 8am... Woke up at 11:30am.. Aha there was more to it.. Omg so much pain .. This was much worse than previous lap post op..it felt like my left ovary had been removed. Turns out I kept both ovaries, but yes there were endometriomas under both ovaries which were also adhering the ovaries to the abdominal wall. Cysts were removed and the ovaries stitched up and away from the wall to prevent recurrence. It was a mess in there and obviously took them by surprise.
My first thoughts were of relief. Aha, my pain was validated!! So glad I kept pushing and didn't believe the half assed theory of the dr. I have now also requested a copy of the surgical report and my records from the hospital as my faith in drs is at an all time low. They don't explain things in detail, believing the patient to be too dumb to understand. After having a chronic condition most of my life I feel that I have read and researched more than they have! (Ok we'll not the actual surgery but you know what I mean-)
My recover has been a bit slow. Agony for the first few days but now a week later am at about 70%. I have another week off work.. But also a 2yo :)
I know in future I will trust myself 100% and hope that you all will too. Things can hide in scans, and drs don't know how your insides feel.
I got the mirena removed also... Anyone else had endometriomas develop while on the mirena? Hopefully lap #4 is a long long way off.
Thanks for reading
X
Labs and scans don't always tell the whole story. I know this well after decades of misdiagnosis of my many medical conditions/diseases. I'm happy to meet Mr Google. Indeed i am. :)

"If you are not your own doctor, you are a fool" - Hippocrates - father of medicine (c.460 - 400 BC)
Love the quote - so true
I don't know if you are still experiencing discomfort. I also had a 10 cm dermoid cyst on my ovary. They removed it (including my ovary) on November 30th. Everything seemed fine, but up until a couple of days ago I have been bloated and have had gas. My stomach feels tender, and feels like I had been doing to many sit-ups as well. Its been four weeks, and since I started feeling bloated I have been feeling discomfort in that area. I also experienced a lot of pain when I got cramping from my period. It's helpful to know others have gone through this. I'm starting to think that everything I'm experiencing is normal because others are going through it, and it takes so much longer to properly heal internally.
I got a mine removed four sees ago, and I'm 22. I'm young and so I think I recovered quickly, but I think i overestimated the amount of things I could do and how fast i could move. I've been bloated and now its sore where my ovary my ovary was. I hope this is normal. But the when I first got my period after surgery, I experienced horrible cramping in that area, and only Vicodin helped ease the  pain.
I'm hoping mine is normal too. I was feeling so good post surgery and now there's this dull soreness that almost feels like a pulled muscle sometimes, which my doctor said is a possibility. He told me not to worry but I leave for vacation on the 2nd and I'll be out of the country for ten days. I'm going to be doing some hiking in the Israeli desert so I'm a bit nervous. I don't know if I'm recovered enough for it.
I have the same questions....No one ever tells you really when you'll be back to 85% and greater. More importantly, they don't tell you about the physical recovery process.
What will I feel like? Will I be able to walk or get out of bed or go to the bathroom? I heard that since they blow in gas, that your stomach is distended until you can relieve yourself of all that gas? What should I be consuming before surgery...and eat after? ie Solids, liquids, etc. What is the deal with magnesium? I am already menopausal/post menopausal...how will the surgery affect me? I haven't exercised regularly except for walking...so what recovery should I expect? etc...I will also be having a hysteroscopy at the same time.
I was wondering as a mom what you are doing/did to endure the responsibilities while healing?My cyst has been on my right ovaryfor 2 yrs now so now they want to lap..I did start to see themon 2 occasions about 2 yrs after each birth of my 2 girls.Singleparenthood is a wild deck of cards!I Hope your recovery gets smoother.Stay strong!
Regarding the incisions, the left side is  1 1/2" long.  Above the incision, it looks like the folded it over and under, but it seems they didnt'. The right side is normal, little keyhole. I get tired very easily, walking on hard floors really hurts and feels as though insides will still fall out. My brother thinks I should be back to normal but I know better. But the left side looks so gross and yukk. like I have this big lump of fat there, i call it a "cliff." I went back to work too soon and trying to do too much, but I'm a single mom and I have nobody else to rely on. Grocery shopping is still a task, thank God for the cart. I get short of breath easily right now. I have had no problems going to the bathroom, I feel so grateful for that. Not eating as much as I used to which is good. At times I still gets twinges of pain around my pubic bone. My stomach muscles feel stretched at times, makes me know they are there and they are being used. Can't sleep on side, back is killing when I do wake up. The left side is still tender, even the lower middle pelvis.  Dr told me nothing really, just gave me a piece of paper. thank God for the internet. They make it sound like you are going in to have a splinter removed. I work at a desk, but still get tired in the pm. I bring my heating pad to work. Sitting in a chair all day is not too appeasing at times for the back. I try to suck it up, not sure what to do at work at times. Today, I feel my body wants to crash. I'm not one for just laying around all day, but my body may be telling me different. i feel so darn confused.
I've found recovery to be very up and down and after maybe doing too much i get an increase in incisional pain, aches, dizziness and tiredness. You should take some time out if you are feeling poorly. It will do you the world of good, although I have found it disheartening to feel better one day then worse the next.

On another note, I have had painful BM since surgery (makes me sweat and cry out in pain) and even after BM today still really sore with cramps radiating to the front and sore ovaries. I haven't yet received my records from the hospital but feels like when my ovaries were stuck to the 'wall' by the endometriomas, maybe the bowel was caught up too. Ack, hoping this sorts itself out and isn't a new problem!
Im sorry about your BMs. That was a fear for me. I'll be saying prayers for you to feel better.  

I think I will be taking an extra day out of work tomorrow. The feeling of guilt can be a pain, but I know if I don't take care of this one body I have, then I'm no good to anyone.  

how long has your surgery been? God bless you Thank you for your words of encouragement.  
It's been 12 days since surgery. The operation took about 3hrs so I guess there was heaps done (hence the pain).

I think our operations were on the same day :)
Thank you all for sharing your stories. I went through a scary process, and I thought I would also share it with everyone.

Last Tuesday, I was having what I thought were normal menstrual cramps, since I was due to get my period that week. By the time I got home from work the cramps had gotten worse, and by around 8 p.m. I was having the most intense stabbing pains on my right side. I tried to take medicine, use a heating pad, but nothing worked. Laying down intensified the pain, eventually I decided to go to the emergency room.

After waiting for 4.5 hours in pain so bad that I was vomiting, I was finally looked at. Once they determined I wasnt pregnant, they decided to do an ultra sound, both stomach and pelvic. They discovered I had an ovarian torsion, which is when one of your ovaries gets twisted, and blood supply is cut off from it. They said they had to do surgery immediately to try to save my ovary, but by the time the surgery was scheduled, 7 hours later, my ovary had died. They did the surgery laparoscopically and removed my right ovary and fallopian tube with three incisions, one in my belly button, and one on each side of my stomach.

The surgery was on a Wednesday, I went back to work on Tuesday of the next week. The recovery has been a bit more painful than expected. My wounds, especially in the belly button became slightly infected, so now im on antibiotics, and antibiotic ointment. I didnt drive until Monday after the surgery, I didnt feel like my reaction time was good enough until then. Im still pretty sore, and hoping that by next week Ill be in better shape.

What I am curious about, is if they did the surgery sooner, could my ovary been saved? They said I shouldn't have any fertility problems, but we'll see.
Ovarian torsion requires immediate surgery 100% of the time.  If you wait too long, you can lose that ovary & tube since you're having the blood supply to that area twisted off.
I had laproscopic surgery on the 14th.  Dr. thought we were dealing with 2 cysts on the left, fibroid in the middle and a small cyst on the right.  He was prepared to remove the left ovary.  The large cysts were removed, the small one drained and there was no fibroid.  I was been tired and achy all of the normal symptoms.  I do however run random low grade temps, feel very faint and dizzy.  I called the office on the 25th to discuss my symptoms and they put me on an antibiotic.  During this discussion I mentioned that the Dr. and I had not discussed when I was to return to work but that I would need a work release when that was determined.  The nurse says, "Ok, I'll get you one".  So on the 3rd Monday after my procedure I am back to work.  I have discussed this with the company nurse and our HR dept. as I do not feel well enough to be back full days.  I can not sit at my desk that long with out it hurting.  To make matters worse we just had a snow storm and I fell in the parking lot at work yesterday and know that I pulled and twisted myself.  I am going to call the office to see if there was a misunderstanding by the nurse.  I am just not sure what to expect.  I hear 1 week, 5 weeks.  I know that everyone is different but I haven't spoken with my Dr. and there are no restrictions for me either.  I find this very odd.
I had two ovarian cysts removed 3 years ago.  They were huge, in fact, the 2nd one couldn't even be seen until surgery because the one they saw on the ct scan was so big. The stupid surgeon warned me that they may have to give me a hysterectomy if they couldnt' save my ovaries, however, when i woke up and he was telling me about my surgery he told me that he left my uterus.  I asked why and told him that was not what we discussed, i mean what's the point in even having a uterus if you don't have any ovaries.  I'm assuming he took the rest of the stuff but honestly don't know.  anyways, i have had constant abdominal pains and really bad diarrhea ever since.  I don't even like leaving the house because i always have to be near a bathroom.  has anyone else had these problems this long after having the initial surgery?
I just had a laparoscopy done.  They put you under general anestetic.  It's an outpatient procedure.  I had an amazing GYN!  There are risks with this procedure.  She did my mother's hysderectomy.  My mom had the worse case of endometriosis she's ever seen.  She was only 35.  So when I went in with many signs on endometriosis (pain during sex, nausea, mood swings, period pains all but a week or two a month...etc.)  I haven't received the results yet, but she think she found some spots of endo., and she also removed two small masses, one which looks abnormal to her.  She says there is nothing to worry about, though.  Anyway, they brought me out of anesthesia and gave me some percacet (sp?).  After most of the anesthesia wore off, I say in a chair for about 15 minutes and my husband came to help me dress.  The pain was minimal for me.  THey gave me a prescription for tylenol and codeine.  You can't swim for 2 weeks or have sex, douche or use tampons.  If they end up needing to remove more or do a laparoscopic hysderectomy, then it's more like 6 weeks i think the information paper said.  I don't know if this information has come too late, but there it is.  Hope it was helpful.
I had my laparoscopic surgery a little over a week ago to remove a large, painful, complex hemorrhagic ovarian cyst.

To begin, I had been feeling generally "off"; pain when I ate, pain with sex, general fatigue and a bloated, uncomfortable belly, and severe migraines, worse that my normal ones, for about two months.

Then it got really bad.

I knew things were really wrong after experiencing massive abdominal pain that crippled me for a few hours after waking on a Saturday, then excruciating sharp pains, fever and nausea Sunday. I was able to see my GYN the following Wednesday, where he found a nasty, lemon sized cyst that ate my ovary, was filling up my pelvic area, and needed out! I had been deteriorating daily up until I saw him, and I wasn't at all surprised at what he found.

I was in the hospital the very next day, in a haze, answering a million questions and getting prepped for surgery. They weighed me and I had lost 10 lbs.

They warn you that although they can most likely remove your cyst laparoscopically, there is a chance they may have to make a larger incision. I was quite nervous of this, and about the pain, for I cannot take codeine or narcotic painkillers because they simply have no effect on me except for mild drowsiness and extreme nausea. I endured the pain, somehow, with tylenol. They kept giving me morphine, but  I simply got sick and groggy, needing anti nausea meds.
The gas pain was almost unbearable. It traveled to my shoulder and wedged in my diaphragm. When I first went to pee, I was shaking and my teeth chattered in excruciating pain. I drank as much as I could to help me pee as much as possible to clear out my urinary tract to protect me from UTI. I asked for ice packs and they helped  tremendously. I had  my surgery at 2:30 pm and was sent home 24 hours later. To be honest, I felt it was too soon.  At home, I drank much grapefruit juice, took magnesium citrate and drank wheatgrass juice shots for the first four days to help clear the morphine and meds away and get my digestion moving again. I happened to have a U shaped body pillow to help me sleep, although it was difficult to get in a position that wasn't painful. I developed a running nose, and God forbid, a sneeze and cough that Holy God and his Angels hurt to Holy High Heaven. The nurses warned me that I should be sure to walk, no matter what, that the bed was a trap that would make my recovery longer if I stayed in it too much. I made sure to heed their warning.

It has now been a little over a week, and I'm a little better every day. I try not to overdo, but I  walk around, or stand and rock, foot to foot, albeit slowly. I went out shopping, for the first time today, and this was almost too much, I'm so glad I didn't drive! I get pain in my hip area that pulsates if I do too much. I do not mean to frighten anyone with my story. I just want you to understand that it isn't a quick little procedure where one just hops up and is good to go! Despite all this surgery put me through, I feel much better now than before my surgery.

Please-if you think you need to see a Doctor, don't hesitate. Don't allow yourself to get too sick before you do something about it! Surgery isn't easy, but living in pain and sickness with a nasty large angry cyst is worse, and can be dangerous.
I'm eighteen and my surgery happened on last Friday morning 8th Feb 2013 ..3.2cm dermoid no ovary removed..and my stitches will be cut on this Friday that is on 15th Feb...i've my exam on Monday and I was worried if I could attempt it as it requires 3 hours of sitting and also I will have to walk some 15 minute distance to catch a cab...
My doctor says I can...but after reading all posts on this forum I think I can not...I'm afraid
Just tell me if I should sit for long hours and walk few meters...before Monday..thank you so much..
If you'll be able to stand and walk a little bit a few times during the exam, that may be good. I believe it is suggested not to be in a seated position for longer than two hours without walking. The 15 min walk to catch a cab may be a little strenuous depending how you are feeling - I expect the walk with take longer and you may not be at your normal walking pace.
Not sure if that helps - just thought I'd share some considerations.
Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!!
Well, my surgery was a surprise !! I spent 3 days in the hospital and came home.. I didn't listen to anyone or my body and went out of town the second day outbid surgery. After all, I was only sitting - bug mistake. Then I went back to work- I'm a teacher- after 5 days post op and after working for 2 days am now home in bed. My suggestions::
Rest , rest, rest!! I'm very active and healthy so I thought I'd be fine. So again- REST!!
But balance rest with walking around the house, to the mailbox, around the backyard. The fresh air does your soul and body good!!
The gas will bring pain - prepare for it.
Use a heating pad in your stomach. Drink 7 Up ginger ale or sparkling water to help you release the gas. My boys think I'm a cool mom for setting belching records ! Also, my neck hurt for several days after the gas subsided. It settles in my shoulders and must have hurt my neck. It may have happened from laying in the hospital bed also.  My stomach still looks like I'm pregnant, So Im trying not to stress about it and remind myself that it was a major surgery.. DON'T TAKE THIS PROCEDURE LIGHTLY-  let others help you and enjoy what all of us always wish for- to rest while others in our family have to help around the house. Hardest part for me has been to be the receiver of being taken care of, instead of being the caregiver. Hope you all have a speedy and blessed recovery!
I am having surgery tomorrow to remove a 6cm cyst in my right ovary. I just started reading these posts and now im freaking out. I normally have a lot of issues with my vowel movements. I get very bloated and constipated. Do I need to prepare and empty my vowel before surgery? what do I need to do> My doctor or nurse didn't mentioned this at all.  
Hi...I had laprascopy, hysteroctopy, and d&c Thursday. It is now Tuesday. My family or husband or friend have not offered to help with my 2 kids or anything at all....even running errands. And I got kicked out earlier this evening because I didn't want to go to a mtng because I have been up running all day and only slept 4/5 broken hrs last night. My mom told me that I needed to get over being sore and get on with my life. Plus my so called husband and friend were arguing about me right after I got to my hospital room after surgery! I am so hurt because no one cares and I feel so unloved and cared for:( I just want to cry. Can someone please give me some advice?
I had laparoscopic surgery to find the cause of my pain...only to find scar tissue fusing my organs. The major one was one of my fallopian tubes was wrapped around my uterus & fused with scar tissue to the front.  My bowel was attached to something with scar tissue, endometriosis was found.
I feel horrible 3 days out. I'm still groggy, gas is just starting to pass. Shoulder still hurts sooo bad. I think it's worse than my stomach. I found laying on my back to be more comfy.
thank you SO much for writing this.... SO true!!  Man, my Dr. and his nurses are fabulous, but they didn't prepare me well AT ALL. reading this post beforehand would have rocked. I had lap surgery on Friday to remove cysts and they ended taking just part of my right ovary. Afterwards he said "its a mess in there, endo covers almost every female organ and then some. a full hysterectomy is in your near-future."  Makes sense, I've been in crazy pain for a year, so I knew it had to be a mess.  I'm 37, have 2 healthy kiddos (5 and 3) so I'm blessed and thankful. Totally fine with it. (well, mostly)  However, now I know its no walk in the park. This in and out surgery business.  The trapped gas almost knocked me out. Worse pain then the surgical sites.  And when does this damn steri-strip stitch go away?  And since I had a tube down my throat, eating still feels "off", like I can feel food traveling too slowly, digestion seems off.  I guess its all to be expected.   Next stop, hysterectomy and hormones - with a hub and 2 little ones, oughta be FUN!     ;)   Insight?  Words of wisdom?    (thankfully I belong to an awesome moms club and they brought us food for DAYS, even took my son to school for me the first cpl days - I'll be sure to have that set up again next time)  SO blessed to have found this forum.   all the best, Starlet-
sounds like your husband, friend, and mom have shown their true colors. I hope this week is better for you, and has provided some insight.  Heal up, be strong, lean on God, and listen to the signs that come.  Sounds like a change is in the winds...  All the best to you.
I had a lap procedure done to remove my right ovary on 3/15/13;I had a dermoid cyst the size of a large walnut on it.  Im a healthy, 37y/o with a very boring health history and no complications.  My advice?

1. I found the residual gas pain to be excruciating, far worse than any abdominal pain and was positional.  For instance, if I laid on  my side in the fetal position the pain would practically go away.  My nurse kept asking how my abdominal pain was on a scale of 1-10, I said zero, I dont have any...but this shoulder pain is killing me.  The car ride home about did me in, I nearly passed out from the pain.

2. Make sure you push fluids, a sip here or there adds up and helps flush out bacteria from your bladder as well as staving off constipation(especially if your taking narcotics).  

3.  Eat small amounts of simple foods as tolerated.  Your appetite will come back.

4.  Taking pain meds does not make you a wimp!!  Out of control pain is very difficult to get a handle on vs taking scheduled pain meds.  Its ok, take the norco!

5. Use an abdominal binder, it does wonders with helping one sleep.  Hug a pillow tightly when coughing or sneezing.  I sneezed the other day and was seeing stars because it snuck up on me.  My larger incision site burned like the fires of hell for several seconds and my son witness his mother say one of those cursed words!  I have a new respect for those that can actually deep breathe and cough after surgery:)

6.  Walking will help speed up your recovery, prevent DVT's and restart your bowels.  Im not talking power walking around the block, but make yourself get up a few times per hour, to the bathroom, get a drink, get a snack, look out the window.

7.  It will hurt when you pee.  I felt like I was pissing razor blades the first day.  I gritted my teeth and winced.  The more water you drink the quicker this will resolve.  Your urethra is irritated from being catherized and any extra fluilds will help flush out potentially harmful bacteria, hopefully heading off a UTI.

8.Graciously accept any and all help offered and ASK for help even if you dont think you need it.  This is not the time for "I am woman hear me roar(except when takin a whiz)"  You only get one chance to heal right.

Just remember to not over do it.  Listen to your body and the doc.  The house will get cleaned eventually, the laundry can wait and one can eat off of paper plates indefinetly;)
I am 33.
Being tested for infertility.
7.63 cm cyst in my left ovary 2.5cm fibroid in my left uterus wall.
Found during my ultrasound - they think it's a mucinous cyst.

Going in for laparoscopy procedure in 10 days.  
They'll remove the cyst and the fibroid (if within reach).
They're going to try to save my ovary...

I am scared.  I want a child.  I did all the right things growing up waiting for this time in my life.  I need to hear something that will help me feel confident that everything will be ok... Anyone out there?
Hi I am so glad I read this whole thing to know what to expect. I have a huge ovary cyst being removed tomorrow.  I am not sure the size but they said it likely weighs 6 or 7 pounds. I also look six months pregnant. It's on my left ovary and it's blocking my right kidney.  Ive been off work since March 12 from cyst pain. I work in a factory. I went on short term disability until mid may. It's weird it only started hurting in January.  They think ive had it for years. I thought I was just fat. I was googling ovary cyst surgery on my phone and found this. Im definitely taking these tips.  By the time anyone posts on here I will probably be through surgery.  So im just thanking everyone for posting their experiences. I will post mine when I am up for it. I want to help out anyone I can with my experience just like people before me have helped me. I will be sure to ask my parents to get me stool softeners tomorrow and cough candies as well. This is a crappy thing to go through and I hope to never go through it again.

Thsnk you and I will update when I can. Posted from phone sorry for any mistakes.
Hey, I'm 19 and in having my major surgery on the 1st may! Having an ovary removed!! So scared. I have loads of plans for after. Just wanted to know if I can do them?!
37 days after my operation I'm due to go to a theme park. Will I be able to go on the rides?! Then I go on holiday 2 months after. Will I be able to swim?! In so scared :(((
My cyst is 13x9cm and I'm going in for surgery in a couple of hours.. not entirely sure what to expect.
Hi guys, I stumbled upon this forum and hope it can be of help to the many pre op questions and anxieties I have. I recently found out I have 2 cysts in my right ovary that need to come out. I am scheduled to have Laprascopic surgery in 10 days. I went for my Pre Operation appt yesterday and when signing papers noticed the 'ovary might be removed during surgery'. I asked the Dr and he said its a possibility depending how the surgery goes. What does one do in this case? I'm 29 and have no kids and am dying to be a mother one day. The thought of possibly losing an ovary is petrifying and I don't quite understand if this is something they're meant to tell you as a precaution or a real chance? Sound I push back my surgery and harvest my eggs? Sound I go to a different Dr? Any advise would be helpful, thanks!
try suppositories for the constipation. after my partial hysterectomy i tried everything there was my sweet boyfriend was at the pharmacy everyday to buy something knew.then i called my mom cause shes a nurses aide and asked what they hospital gives for constopation and she said suppositories.best advise i had gotten. worked like a charm.hope it helps.
Hi there
I would be careful and see how your recovery is. I don't think swimming will be an issue after that space of time, but the jolting of the theme rides may be.

Doing little straight after and resting will help, ask your Doc.
I'm having 2 cysts removed on the 1st to. It's nervous city isn't it.

Good luck and let me know how you get on Trace:-)
The more you relax and move around, the faster the gas will release itself.  Not moving makes it worse in my opinion.  Get up, drink often and eat a little snack. Be sure to take your pain med to keep the pain at bay, take it as directed.  You'll be fine in a short time.
Hi Roxy, I am 36 and no children. So, i have the same concerns as you. My surgery is scheduled for may 2. I have a pre op appointment tomorrow and that is one of my questions as well. Is it a possibility of harvesting eggs. I am extremely anxious and find myself almost obsessed with reading these entries.  I have been told last week by the doctor that he wouldn't know the condition of the ovary until he is in there. So I am praying that all things are favorable to having children. Good luck and just try to look at this surgery as a prevention of a cyst burst or infertility. I have been heard of many women having children after a removal of a cyst. Best of luck!
Will be praying for you...I think it's great that you will have family around to help care for you. I am blessed the same way too. My eldest daughter is going to take a leave of absence from work for 30 days! I am the primary caregiver for her 3 kids and for her sister's 3 kids, so someone has to be here to run them to and from school and to care for the 2 toddlers! LOL
I am ready for surgery probably won't be lapro though...my cyst is 10cm! Can't believe that's a softball/grapefruit size!
Blessings, I know all will be well!
Cute! Love it. I know it was a pain...pray you are doing well now.
Thought I would add my story for others. For several years, I have been having right sided abdominal pain. I have five children and am 34 years old. My youngest is 11 months. The pain had progressively gotten worse over the years but I kept ignoring it. That was until it started radiating down my leg and into my hip. I was tired all the time. Couldn't sleep on my right side and felt horrible! I went in thinking I had a kidney infection (felt like I had been kicked in the back) and the tests came back negative. I went to see my OB/GYN who saw fluid around my right ovary (I have had SO many cyst rupture on that side. No surprise!) and also said I had adenomyosis. He suggested removal of uterus and right ovary. I decided to have a D and C and remove the right ovary.

Girls, I was SCARED to DEATH of having laproscopy and being put under (never had any surgery before) but 2 days post-op, I could KICK myself for not doing this sooner. It has changed my life! The pain is gone! I have not had to take any pain killer. They removed several adhesions, my right ovary and irregular tissue in my uterus (no adenomyosis or fibroids as thought). I feel like a new person!

* Pain from the surgery...0. Pain from the GAS? YES! That is the worst part. Walk around some. It helps a lot! Gas-X will not help although I took some anyway. The gas is in your abdominal cavitity...not your bowels, etc.

* Ask for a peri-bottle they give to women who have had babies. I used these after all of my births. Your bladder will be lazy after surgery. Fill the bottle with warm water and squirt your "ya-ya" while you are trying to pee EVERYTIME. It makes you pee so much easier and relaxes that area. Don't know why it works but it does.

**Walk around some.
**Drink a ton of water!

Don't be scared to have this surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. I already feel better than I have in years! My right ovary was THREE times larger than it was supposed to be and full of cysts. I have no more pain. Do I feel like I've done an ab workout? Yes but sore stomach muscles are nothing compared to a messed up ovary.

Looking forward to how good I feel in the weeks to come! Best of luck!
I just wanted to add that my cousin had an ovary removed, too. It was diseased like mine and she went on to have more children with just one ovary. Your remaining ovary will have no issue producing hormones or eggs if it was functioning properly in the first place.
Ha! No problems in that department. My thyroid issues on the other hand...ayayay~! :)
Hello everyone,

I just need some place to get my thoughts and feelings out. I think from looking over the posts that I'm much older than most of you. I'm 60 and just had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed 4 days ago. My recovery looks a lot like what I've read here. I'm doing pretty good but I get very tired. I'm pass the bowel problems and gas issues at this point. My surgery was laparoscopic and I have a small incision at the belly button and two more small incisions, one above each hip. I had the surgery because I had a 4.7 cm complex cyst on one ovary. It turned out the cyst was'nt on my ovary but on the fallopian tube and it was bigger than they thought. That's all I know since no one has been in touch with me since I left the hospital. I went home the same day as the surgery. My post-op appointment is not until June 20. I feel a little dropped off by the hospital and surgical team. I would feel better if someone had called to check on me but I guess I'm doing OK. The cyst was benign and I knew that before going home, so that is good news. Before surgery, and this is what is really bothering me, I read a lot on the benefits of keeping your ovaries even after menopause. It makes me wonder if I did the right thing sometimes. Did I really need this surgery which was certainly stressful and would the cyst eventually have caused me problems? I know you can't answer those questions for me but any feedback would be welcomed. I want to feel at peace and that I did the right thing but I'm still struggling with this a little. I had a very hard time finding doctors to talk to about things before surgery and don't feel like it should be that way. In fact, I'm thinking of changing my gyn to someone new only because she was so unavailable when I needed someone to talk to. All in all, I seem to be doing well. It's just a lot to go through and put your family through. I hope I didn't trade the risk of developing ovarian cancer for heart or bone disease. I read before surgery that the ovaries continue to protect our bodies against such serious diseases at least until we are 65. Thank you for letting me express myself a little.
I am three weeks post laparoscopy & can agree wiv everything said here. Dr gave me lactulose & movicol for mybowels but i was quite lucky in that department. Bending & driving are hideous so dont attempt them. The scar on my bellybutton hurt the most & so wear looseclothing as i couldnt bear to have anything touch it. I now feel a lot of pain when having my first period after the op and both ovaries are killing me even though the cyst was on the right one. Feel like crawling up into a ball and sleeping even more than i already have - if that's possible! Also still feeling after effects of anaesthetic & off my food so have lost a stone in weight! Did any1 else experience horrific pain with periods or aftereffects of anaesthetic?
I had a D&C and I experienced the tiredness and dizziness afterward as well..
I am very thankful for this list!  Thankyou ladies:)  I did have a question..they closed my incisions with dermabond, and the they look open.... one even left a little dried blood in my grannie panties.   I called the hospital and they said ut was fine,  does this sound fine?
How are you feeling now my dear?
I am also going through the same feelings. I am 53 and I have simple cyst in both my ovaries. My OB/GYN said that my ovaries must come out. I am debating on this. As you have mention I have also read a lot regarding the need of OVARIES.  I asked my doctor that I want to wait and see. Because I am 53 the Doctor wants me to have the surgery.   I am lost and I honestly do not know what to do.  I also feel that I am not getting enough help from my doctors.  What to do????? too bad we do not have any family members who are doctors and we are lost with no medical knowledge.
I hope you feel better soon.
hi there i just read ur story and loved how bluntly honest u are.I had my left ovary removed as well as cyst on rigt one too,was wondering thou will my right ovary take over after four month too will it wake up at all?I sure hope so.Thank u again
Thanks! :)  If your right ovary isn't too damaged then it should take over eventually. I'm not sure what the average time is but i'd say give it 6 months.  
So, after having 2 miscarriages I was diagnosed as having a 10cm cyst on my ovary. I was terrified of surgery, and scoured the web for info. I read this whole thread a number of times. Anyway, I had my surgery yesterday - turns out in addition to the 10 cm cyst they also have to remove a 4cm cyst. I was given a comfy room, but I felt well enough to come home the same day. No problem whatsoever with peeing, or gas, or nausea etc . Today I have not taken any painkillers as I feel fine except for some tenderness around the incision site. I stopped bleeding yesterday after some spotting on the pad. The nurse kept saying I was 'really strong' and told me it was unusual to see someone coping so well. Here is the thing: I credit the hypnotherapy tape I listened to as preparation for surgery and post op healing. Everything the therapist said in her tape came to pass. There are some good ones on Amazon.
Hello , im 35 and a month ago i had severe pain. when i did the cat scan they found my gall bladder was infected and a 7cm ovarian cyst. they where going to remove both but decided to only remove the gall bladder. the pain was bad when i needed to sit up  and i couldnt eat anything so the vomiting was painful. i was back at work 2 days later. i have a data entry job. i did have to leave twice early do to vomiting. well i went back for my check up and my cyst is now 14cm and i am sheduled for them to remove it on the 19th of july. i spoke to my mangers and my plan is to go in  friday the 19th and come back to work tue  the 23rd. is the pain similar?  i expect to hurt, to walk funny,  has anyone had both surgeries?
thank you for all the  helpful ideas
Good morning All,

I was diagnosed with a 3 cm cyst on my left ovary and also needed surgery for stress incontinence.  I am 51 years old was left with the decision of whether or not to have my ovaries and tubes removed.  I had a hysterectomy in 2007 due to fibroids.  My dilemna with the decision making was twofold:  did I want to go through surgical menopause (probably half way there) or monitor a cyst which may or may not have grown.  Since I am a single working mother I opted for the ovary and tube removal along with the stress incontinence surgery simultaneosly.    My surgery was yesterday; I was in and out.  I have a follow-up this morning to have the cathetar removed.  I guess it would depend on  your pain tolerance level but I am in some pain.  My inner thighs are so sore from having my legs open and in the stirrups during surgery (funny but I tell my girlfriends I feel like I have been gang raped, lol).  It is also a little painful sitting down (down there).  Overally it is not too bad as of yet.  Still a little paranoid about the harmones they may prescribe and honestly do not know whether I will take them.  I have a friend that after taking estrogen has now been diagnosed with breast cancer; she said that the Doctor told her the estrogen may have induced the cancer.
Is anyone able to describe the different changes their bodies went through after both ovary removals.  Thanks in advance and remain blessed.

I had the laparoscopic surgery 2 days ago and seemed to be handling it pretty well. I had 4 big cysts removed. The gas pains haven't been too bad until this evening but even know it's bearable. My problem is the opposite of constipation. I can't keep anything in. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if I went to regular food too fast?
I had a lap tubal ligation 8 days ago and still feel awful. pain for the most part is gone...lots of "discomfort" and difficulty getting back to my usual routine. had surgery on Thursday and dr. said I could go back to work Monday...wrong! the walk from my car to the office almost made me pass out :( though I am starting to feel a bit better, I was unprepared to feel like this...like my whole insides are bruised and just feeling down. hoping this week will be turn around. my advice- lots of rest, lots of ice, and let others help you around the house.
hi im Emily and im 15 and i just had to go through a laparoscopic surgery 3 days ago,because i had a 6 cin. cyst on my right ovary , and im in alot of pain. i would like to know how long til the pain start to get best because i miss going to church and i have church camp coming up SOON. please give my some info!!!
Hi Nikki,
Hope you are doing well. i was just reading your comment/post. i have just had my right ovary removed and 9cm dermatoid cyst removed. (operation was on the 24th june 2013). how are you now... did you get your periods back and have you had any other problems. emotional-hormones etc...

take care
hi, just wanted to see how you have recovered or recovering from your operation.
i had my right ovary and dermatoid 9cm cyst removed on june 24th 2013. i am doing loads better now walk moving around etc... it was sore to start with. but i still have a lot of back pain and not having periods.. hows your hormones ... etc..
hope your well.. been reading your post.. and just wanted to know how you were emotional and with periods after the operation. i had my operation on 24th june 2013. and i am emotionally finding it hard. not having periods. only had 3 days of brown blood. been to doc this week to have test blood and urine so waiting results. My operation was to remove my right ovary and a 9cm dermatoid cyst.
So glad to have found this post. I'm having a diagnostic laparoscopy and possible cystectomy in two days. This thread has made me feel a bit better about what to expect.
Let me know how you get on. Wish you well. Xx
Surgery went well, I did have endometrial adhesions on my intestines that were burnt off, my right ovary was attached to my abdominal wall and had to be cut loose. However, they did not remove the cyst on my left ovary, I find out more about what they discovered during surgery at my post op appointment. Thanks for asking about me!
I'm 21 y.o. and am in the Air Force. I've been having a slight pain in my lower right abdomen for the past few months. The first time I went to a military doctor, they said it was just due to bowel moveent. maybe two months later I went back twice because I was sick, I also told them that the pain was still there and was told it was bowel movement again.. Finally last week, I saw a different doctor due to a cold I got and told them I had a pain in my stomach which I thought it was due to coughing. He didn't think it was and said we should do more investigating since there has been multiple reports for this pain. This past monday, I had an ultrasound and pelvic exam done and found out I have a 7 x 5 x 7 cm cyst in my right ovary. I was told that considering the size of this cyst, it's not going to go away on its own like a "normal" cyst would. So invasive procedures may need to be done.. Being in the military, there arent many doctors that have specialties for this kind of thing, so I have to go off base to "confirm" that I actually do need surgery to get it out. Which is going to be a long wait to get all this crap going due to paperwork and typical military " hurry up and wait ". Then once I get that "confirmation", I'll have to wait to get the surgery die to even more paperwork!! The pain is bearable, yet I can tell that it's getting worse. Walking around for long periods of time, I start getting sore on my right side and I feel like theres a constant cramp. Lately, my right side seems to be getting a little more tender to touch. So, can I expect to actually be "confirmed" to get surgery? I've read so many posts on here saying that they did for even a smaller cyst than mine.. I guess you can say all of this really hasnt hit me mentally yet. I'm still in that shocked kind of mood.. like this cant really be happening. And if I do get surgery, How is the recovery time? I've seen so many different posts about how they think they should have waited a bit longer before resuming normal activities.. I know people are different, I see some people it only took a few days, while others took months!
Hi  biancab22,
I just read your post and noted your are just 21 years old.
I am not in any medical field but with my experience I think that I can tell you my experience. But the decision is yours 100%.
First of all get a second opinion.
I am 53, I had a 6cm complex cyst in my right ovary and a 3cm simple cyst in my left ovary.
My Doctor (OB/GYN) pushed me for Surgery.
I honestly was so depressed and I do not want to loose any of my organs,
I researched through the net and got some herbal treatments.
I had an ultrasound done last month and the result is:
The previously noted 6cm complex ovarian cyst has resolved and the 3cm simple cyst has shrink to 1.7mm.
If I were you, and to be this young just 21, I would definitely get a second opinion.  ONCE WE LOOSE OUR OVARIES OR ANY PART OF OUR ORGANS THEY ARE GONE MY DEAR.  YES THEY ARE GONE FOR GOOD AND CAN NEVER BEEN REPLACED. I was crying and crying all day long while I had this cyst,  the reason I was crying was because I did not want to loose my precious ovaries.
Take care biancab22 and keep us posted on how you are feeling.
God bless.
Well, thank you. I'll take that into consideration. I have an appointment with another obgyn on the 29th to discuss all of my options. So, I guess for right now its just going to be a waiting game.
I would certainly talk to another doctor about options.  If they say the pain is related to the cyst I would ask them if it could be due to the cyst twisting and cutting off blood supply.  The more it twists, the more pain you will be in until the pain is constant. I would ask them what type of cyst/tumor it is just so you could gather what more information on it.  There are several different types and not all of them are cancerous.  As for loosing a whole ovary, it would all depend on where the cyst is and how far into the ovary it is. If it's on the edge, then the ovary could be saved easily. For the recovery time it is different for everyone, but for a cyst that size, it shouldn't be more than a week as long as there are no other complications.  That is the average time for recovery according to all of the medical staff.
This happened to me last year and that was how I was diagnosed with Dermoid tumors and now the pain is starting again and we're talking about another surgery already. The surgery is up to you and would be something to talk to the OBGYN about.
One other thing to think about would be having your appendix looked at as well since on and off pain in the lower right quadrant can be an early sign of appendicitis. They removed mine when I was in for surgery since it was showing signs.

I hope that your appointment goes well and that this helps!
I'll add my story as to this post.  

I'm 19 right now and am in nursing school. Last October, 2012, I started having pain on a Friday night which I just thought was a stomach bug. The next morning when I was going to work, I was really nauseous and still having the severe abdominal pain.  A few weeks before I was having issues with ovarian cysts and my gynecologist had set up an ultrasound for the end of October.  I called them up on a Saturday and went to the ER to get an ultra sound done.  I was told I had cystic ovaries which I new but nothing major and was sent home with some pain meds and meds for nausea.  By that Tuesday, I went in for another ultrasound at my gynecologist and was told that I had a large twisting dermoid tumor on my left ovary (about 8 cm). How they missed that at the hospital was beyond me.
I was then scheduled for surgery that Thursday and was told that I could not go back to work for a week after my surgery.
The pain got worse and worse leading up until that Thursday.  On the day of I was so nauseous that they had to give me Zofran via IV. My Mom helped me mentally prepare for surgery and drove me there on the day of.  I'm grateful my Mom was there with me, but I also wish I had known about this website as well.  After the surgery and when I got home, I needed help getting in and out of bed since it is pretty high and the pain, especially the gas pain, was dreadful.
In the follow up appointment a week later, I was told that it would be anywhere from 10-20 years until I got another dermoid tumor again which would then put me in my 30s or 40s.  Less than a year later, this past Thursday, I was told that I have another dermoid tumor.  They're not going to do surgery on it right away since it's not causing constant pain but observe it again in another six weeks. My doctor did tell me that I would most likely need to have surgery again in another 2 months.  I just don't want it to happen again.
Hi! I'm 22 years old and I have a 7cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I'm a registered nurse and I have no idea of this dermoid cyst until i was diagnosed just this Aug. It was accidental while i was having my KUB ultrasound which was normal, then they saw that cyst and referred me to an OB. I had another UTZ (transrectal) which now identified and measured my cyst. I know I have to go under surgery but my OB is suggesting to have a pelvic laparotomy only, I have been reading that most of you guys had a laparoscopy the non invasive procedure with 3 small incisions only. What do you think guys should I have laparotomy or laparoscopy? Please help!
I am 14 weeks pregnant and I had my laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy five days ago.

7 weeks ago I had my ultrasound to check my baby's heartbeat and my OB found a cyst on my right ovary. She referred me to a radiologist who is an ultrasound expert and he said i have a 5.2cm "multiseptated cyst" means - not good, on the same day I did a bloodwork called CA125 and the result was 1,600 and the normal values should be less than 35. I freaked out because they were asking if I have any history of cancer and I don't have.

after 7 weeks of monitoring, three different doctors, 8 blood collections to rechecked CA125, 8 ultrasounds to monitor the growth of the cyst, we have decided to do the surgery. I have seen three doctors and they all suggest to do it. It was so hard because the risk of miscarriage was very high, and its our first baby. The doctor said I will be under general anesthesia and there is a risk of oopherectomy or removal of my right ovary.

After surgery the first thing I asked was "is my baby okay" and the nurse said yes. It was such a relief after a lot of stress. The doctor said it was a good call because my ovary was slightly twisted which is why I have pain. They put a foley catheter and I was on complete bed rest on the first day. It was horrible, the pain was unimaginable, all because of the gas. I was not able to sleep, and I cannot take any harsh pain reliever that may harm my baby. I developed sore throat and cough because of the tube they put, so imagine how painful it is to cough. On the second day post op they removed my foley cath and I was able to walk. I was discharged on the third day, and the doctor said just to removed the dressing when i get home and just let it air dry for faster healing.

The doctor gave me a copy of the video of my surgery. It was so cool to watch but kinda gross. I just hope that there are no long term effects of the anesthesia to my baby.
I Pray for you and to your baby.
I would suggest talking to your doctor about your wishes.  They could be doing this based on the complexity of the cyst and the possibilities of what is growing inside. If you talk to your doctor and wish for a second opinion you could also get a second opinion.  
My doctor has never brought up the possibility of a laparotomy for my last surgery and my upcoming surgery and I'm going based off of the information that I learned in nursing school so I would talk to your doctor more about it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
So, here's an update on my situation. Last week I had some massive pains, and my gyn decided it's time to do surgery. I'll be having surgery to remove my ovary next tuesday on the 17th. I had to get another pelvic exam done to see what exactly the cyst is doing. I went from having one cyst that was about 7cm, to two cyst (one 6 cm and one 4 cm). Doctors are confused with how a 7 cm cyst turned into two different cysts. Both pelvic exams being 3 weeks apart. Pain getting worse. So doctor is definitely all for it since more are forming and the pain just seems to be getting worse. I had a instance of a few days where i was very nausous which kinda scared me. Pain felt like severe cramps where I didnt want to move, literally had to be in the fetal position for hours at a time. But i knew it didnt rupture, it would have been a lot worse! Tomorrow I have my pre-op appointment, what should I expect with that? And how long should I have my husband take leave off of work? I'm just so anxious to get the surgery so this pain will finally stop!!!
I hope it all goes well!  And I'm wondering if it twisted so it could look like two different cysts. who know on that, just a thought. As for the surgery, that should take about one hour or longer depending on what they find. As for your husband taking off from work, you might have trouble for the first night and first day after surgery getting in and out of bed. If you have a reclining lounge chair that would work great for when he's not there. I would say maybe till Thursday or Friday (so 2-3 days), but everyone is different.  I would ask the nurses at the pre-op exam tomorrow about how long as well just to be sure.

I wish you luck with your surgery and I hope the pain is gone soon!
I would also suggest looking at the first post on this forum. It helps a lot and tells the truth about it all. I wish I had seen that before my first surgery....
Thank you. Everything here has definitely helped get a better perspective. I've prepped everything, so I'm ready. surgery is tomorrow morning. Today is going by so slow, getting very anxious and nervous. Pain is rediculous. And menstral is supposed to be here.. hasnt. Last five menstral cycles have been off, has anyone else experienced abnormal periods? I take birth control pills, I've recently been getting my periods a week before the actual "period pills" and now I'm two days into the "period pills" but no period.. crampy. but nadaaaaaa. Maybe its the nerves? the stress? (Docs did a blood test a week ago so I'm not pregnant and there are no signs of cancer). 16 hours until surgery.
I hope all went well with your surgery today!  I've been noticing that some of mine have been off as well, same with birth control and mine don't show up for about 5 days.  And i'll agree with the "crampyness", but most likely this time it is just stress. Let me know how you're doing!
hi, i had a laparoscopy on the same day as you! they removed 3 cysts and most of my left ovary. i was told that the surgery would be around 45mins, 3 hours and 15mins later i came out of surgery. apparently i bled too much. i am only just beginning to feel a little well, i have experienced terrible shoulder and tummy pain due to the gas and my tummy is so swollen, i cant get comfortable to sleep, i didnt think that it would be this bad. i hope you are feeling well, im sure it can only get better.xx
i would suggest curling up on your side, with a pillow in between your legs and then hug one to your chest. It ***** due to the gas pain but feels a lot better if you do that.
Hey everyone, Just wanted to let everyone know that surgery went very well. It was only just over an hour. I slept for a bit though haha no surprise there. Right when I woke up, I was in quite a bit of pain, mostly dull pains, so the nurse put some more meds in my IV. Once I was ready I left, hurt to get up obviously. But it honestly wasnt as bad as I was making it out to be. Forst day after surgery, I was too medicated to even remember the pain, Thank God. I just remember the drive home SUCKED! My husband is a speed demon in my car haha. First few days, I needed help getting in and out of bed, I didnt have any problems with the wiping my privates haha no need for any reacher thingy. So, I pretty much stayed in bed for about 2-3 days, then started walking around a lot ! It hurt a bit, but i started getting in and out of bed without help. Actually, I didnt really need help with anything. I was just too sore to be on my feet for too long. I probably didnt go #2 for about 3 days, and even then it was nothing. And am still having a bit of trouble in that area, doctor says its due to my pain meds though. Now, 13 days post op, I'm doing a lot more! I feel back to normal, have been for about 2 days now. I literally just woke up one morning and felt so much better! Doing a lot though, theres still a dull ache. I had a little issue, I tried to do too much too early, I bent over to grab something on the floor maybe 5 days post op and felt a stinging pain under my belly button (i had laparoscopic surgery just in case anyone is wondering), and then my belly button started bleeding, Doc says I probably just stretched a sticth and that it was no big deal. Pain went away after 10 minutes so I wasnt too worried. The only thing Im worried about now, is that they "glued" my otside incisions and stitched the inside parts. The glue has peeled off, and I literally just have two open wounds on my side... lol. Well I have my post op appointment next week, I'm sure everything will be healed by then. One thing though, Im 13 days post op, and I had sexual intercourse with my husband cuz everything was feeling so much better, ever since then though I've had this dull ache in the actual area where they removed my ovary. (before it was just the pain at the incision sites and the abdominal movements). So we'll see how that goes .
I'm sorry to hear that. I guess it really just depends on an individuals doctor and their procedure in removing the gas. I literally had only a few hours of gassy pain, no shoulder pain. It was just a matter of ab movement, bowel movement, and now my insides just have a constant dull ache. Blah. I cant wait to go back to doing my normal activities. Missing so much gym time!!
Oh and just my luck, i got my period morning of surgery lol.  So i had to say hello to that mesh boy short thing haha. Woke up without it though, I guess they cut it off during surgery.
Sorry, one more post, :: One big issue I'm dealing with :::

PAIN PILLS MASK THE PAIN!! I thought i was feeling back to normal, and got off the meds, big no no.. it was like all the pain came back at one time and so suddenly. My insides hurt. You may think youre ready to go back to work or do normal activities, thats what i thought when i bent over to grab something on the floor! and stretched stitch was the outcome. REST REST REST! Wane yourself slowly off the pain meds so you can see how bad the pain is.
hi my name is dani
im 25 and just found out about a month ago that i have a 30 cm x21 cm cyst comming from my right ovary ohhh joy hahahaha. I get menstrual cramps but nothing a tylenol wont fix , other than that i just thought i was bloated all the time  i don't have any pain or irregular menstrual cycles r a huge belly , to warn me of the huge invader i have inside , but because of the size of the cyst the state of my ovary is unknown. Everybody in my family just tell me ohhhh dont worry thats why you have two (inside my head i am thinking yeah right why dont you go through surgery and get a huge thing out of you hahaha) I am having robotic laparoscopy ....has anyone had this done ? is it different from normal laparoscopy? . My doctor said the surgery is no big deal and that i would be out of the hospital in no time and walking the next day , but from everyones experience i guess its not as simple as it sounds . What scares me the most is the constipation because i normally suffer badly from it  and the pain  from the gas which was never mentioned by my doc .What are the best tips you have for an easy recovery , all help and advice and words of wisdom will be dearly appreciated
thank you  all very much for sharing things that my doctor hasn't mentioned at all .
and good luck to all of you recovering and getting operated soon .
Okay, time for the dumb questions from the peanut gallery...

1. There are quite a few here that don't say what type of cyst they have removed. Are these simple cysts? Chocolate? Complex? The dermtoid with the teeth and hair?

2. Were you given the option of egg harvest before the ovary is removed (assuming you had both removed or have the first removed but second one is prone to problems too)? If so, and if you did, was that done at the same time or before?

3. Did you know going into your surgery that it would be removed? Or was it because you signed the papers to say "do what you need to doctor" and then the doctor deemed upon opening you up that you needed it removed too?

I am currently in the 'watchful waiting' process for a 5.4cm simple cyst on the right ovary and a 3cm simple cyst on the left, and have never had any pain or problems with mine other than a 68 day period from 7/23-9/29. I'm not sure if the cysts caused it or if the fact that I was diagnosed on 10/1 with hypothyroidism was the cause. After next period (Provera ends on 10/10, so dr says it should start 10/12-15), I am having the saline injection transvaginal ultrasound to look at them and to look for uterine polyps. She has said that mine are 'unusual' and I should be thinking/reading up on surgery to prepare myself, just in cases.  I am 34, been married 1 1/2 years, and the most we have had pregnancy-wise is a miscarriage in March.

I appreciate all  your comments and stories.  Although it is 'scary' to think about, it helps to know that if I do have to have both or even one ovary removed, I'm not the only one that has had this. Talking to family and friends doesn't help because nobody has ever had any reproductive issues like this and they just don't get it! Kudos to all here!!! :-)
I'm still waiting for the dumb questions. :)

1. I had a 25cm simple ovarian cyst (full of white fluid) but I had to go to three gynecologists before one would agree to do keyhole surgery.

2. I didn't even think about an egg harvest and the doctor didn't mention it either.

3. The doctor talked about possible symptoms after surgery (eg: gas pain) and what he might have to do during surgery (in my case an incision and ovary removal). I never suffered any gas pain but he did need to do a 3 inch incision and remove what was left of my ovary. No incision scar. :)

I have hypothyroidism which is a known cause of ovarian cysts. During pregnancy, untreated (or poorly treated) hypothyroidism is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, low birth weight, and other serious complications.
1. I had a 7 cm simple cyst removed.

2. An egg harvest wasnt really brought up because I'd still have my other ovary which would take over and I'd be just as fertile. My doc told me that once I have one removed, and if something were to happen to the other, then they would do everything possible to save it. And Im assuming if they couldnt save it, then theyd harvest eggs. But that wouldnt be a problem, (knock on wood) hopefully nothing will happen to my one and only ovary left!!

3. I acually signed papers stating that they would remove my right ovary (Oopherectomy) just because the doc said that theres a high chance of the cyst growing back.

When I first went to see my doc, she said that if the cyst wasnt causing pain or any other symtoms (symptoms), they wouldnt have to remove it. Most of the time cyst will just go away on their own. It may take a while depending on how big it is though. They usually only want to operate when youre actually feeling pain since that could be symtoms (symptoms) of the cyst twisting your ovary or rupturing which would be a lot worse. Twisting ovary = most of the time they cant save the ovary, so youd lose it anyways, they only difference is, youd go through all the pain of that.  Rupturing cyst = (if large enough) can cause an infection and many other problems, not to mention would be very painful.

Here's some back ground from my doc::: Every woman gets cysts in their ovaries. The "cyst" is what usually carried the egg and then the cyst ruptures releasing the egg down the tubes. Sometimes the cyst doesnt rupture which would trap the egg and create the dermoid cyst that has hair and teeth (due to the genetics in the egg), sometimes the cyst will rupture, releasing the egg, but then will close back up and just be filled with fluid. And then sometimes, theres just one of those random cysts that arent formed by the egg that are usually ON (not IN) the ovary.
Thanks guys for the comments!  ;-)
I had a simple cyst on my right ovary for at least 10 years. It went away during pregnancy, and perhaps varied in size between 1.5-3 inches during that time. BCP didn't help, and I didn't stay on them. Last month pain and some irregular bleeding sent me back to Dra. and we saw it had grown to over 5 in. I had it removed (and ovary too) on Tuesday along with fallopian tubes getting cut in. Kind of a two for one sterilization given I am 48 and really don't want to get pregnant again, not a problem. I will see what more she tells me on Tuesday check up. I wanted to tell you this, because it appears that relatively symptomless simple cysts can last without needing surgery. It worked for me for years, and I am glad I didn't have the surgery till now.

As for my recovery story--- its day 6, I have relatively little pain, I have taken 400 mg doses of ibuprophen. I got my period on day 3 and cramping with surgery pain was a bit painful and I took 800 mg.  I had some gas pain but took my med for that regularly. I came home same day (and partial block anethesia, and lower back and legs were rather useless the first 30 hours or so-) I had back discomfort from lying down, so started walking regularly in house, started at home office work day 3 but felt less that sharp on writing and organizing skills. Still it had to be done. Day 5 did a major shop with help and felt good but tired. I drink TONS of water and eat high fiber and had no constipation at all. But, I should say that is normally never an issue for me, so I can imagine its a concern for those with regularity problems going into surgery :-(

I wish the best to everyone. Please remember to talk with your docs, insist on explanations that you can understand and if it helps write all your questions before calling or going to appointments-- bring a friend/advocate to help you remember whats been said. You right to health is a right to information as well as treatment!!
I have been reading this thread, and I am so thankful bc my Dr.s did not give me any of this advice, just that I'll be fine in 3-4 days. I am writing now bc my surgery is Friday, and I'm having my gallbladder removed at the same time. I also have a 5 month old baby. I am a stay at home mom and I nurse my baby, I am so nervous that I will not be able to take care of him and that nursing will be too painful. I was thinking I could nurse in the side lying position but now after reading your posts, it sounds like lying on my side will be very painful.  Anyone else have a similar experience? I will have my husband home for three days after the surgery and my mom with me the fourth day.
Had transvag ultrasound to measure how much my ovarian cyst has grown. Pain unbearable. Anyway I'm ready all this about gas and shoulder pain and walk it out.  I don't fully understand .  Do they pump co2 into you and does it travel throughout your body and stay for weeks?  How do you get rid of it
They pump gas into your stomache area to raise up your abdomen so they can see where all your insides are. If the doctor is really good, they usually get the majority of the gas out once the surgery is over. Sometimes there could be quite a bit left over and thats how you get the gas pains. Your body absorbs it and it slowly tries to leave your body.. well .. by the gassy areas. lol. The shoulder pain is due to the way they lay you out during surgery. I was on the stirrups so they didnt have to lay me in my side like that. It really just depends on the doctors you go see and what their procedures are. Everyone does things there own way, just as long as they get the big picture, they'll do whatever they gotta do. lol. You get rid of the gas by moving around. It helps your body absorb it faster and then expell it faster. The more you sit around, it will just stay in one place. Kinda like your metabolism, the more you exercise, the faster things move through your body, the less you do, the longer it takes to leave your body.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything. The pain definitely *****, but once surgery is done, and youre all healed up, you feel back to normal... (somewhat) lol. I had my right ovary removed, i say i feel normal.. but i dont haha i mean c'mon .. im missing an internal organ! lol
Hey guys, thought I would throw in my two pence for what it's worth. Had a laparoscopy to remove a 13cm simple cyst on Saturday (yesterday). I was told by the surgeon it could have to go open, in case anything went wrong. Luckily they did it all keyhole, with only 3 small incisions even though when they got in there it had grown to 20cm!!!!. I was kept in for a few hours till the morphine wore off but came home last night and had a comfortable sleep I have had a good bit of soreness but nothing painkillers (just paracetamol and ibuprofen) can't tame. I have had a bit of an urgency to wee accompanied by the rather uncomfortable feeling that presents! I stress uncomfortable, not painful. Eating quite well, and starting to be able to fart (sorry but so relieving!). No gas pain at all for me luckily. Been movin round the house fine, done some odd housework, washed in the sink and cooked dinner and now back rested. Overall, not half as scary, painful or complicated as I feared. Just some hope for you out there with large cysts...if they are simple, they absolutely can be removed via keyhole, just find yourself a surgeon capable of doing it! Hope your recoveries go as well as mine :)
Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't been on here or posted much recently. I have been busy around here getting all the fall work -- raking, cleaning up the garden, planting bulbs and hardneck garlic, etc -- done before the flurries fly! Also been at the dr frequently for this and that, so not much time to get online.

To update:
--Had a sonoHSG to check on things in late Oct. No endometriosis, tubes are open, and everything looked great. I had no pain at all -- was talking to the nurse about what I do for work, and then realized the dr and ultrasound tech had things in and the saline going because I could feel the extra running down my bottom.  All three said I did really well and had never seen anyone not have pain. Well, 3 Advils in the girl that never takes pills for a headache will make you fly high and painfree I guess.  Anyway, the cysts were still large (R: 4.7cm, L: 2ish cm), and the right side had a developing something. Follicle? Cyst?
--Was supposed to check for ovulation later that week, but pee tests were always negative. finally went in the next week to find out that I had a rock bottom progesterone level. Not good.
--Had a external ultrasound earlier this week to see what the cysts are up to. In the last two months, no changes. Now are 4.8 and about 2.3 and have been diagnosed as "bilateral cystadenomas". The little 'follicle' from previous visit is now about 1 cm and dr thinks it is another cyst.
--Will be having laproscopic surgery in early January to remove both cysts. Depending on what the little new cyst looks like at the pre-op visit, may have that out too since they are in there to get the others.  My only concern is that it is at the opposite end of the ovary from the other. If you can imagine, my ovary looks like a piece of candy corn, with the two ends as the cysts and the middle as the normal ovary. Dr. says she is confident I won't lose the ovary, so I hope she is right.
--Am going to be starting on Metformin at some point because she says I am slightly PCOS. I really don't understand how I am: sugar is middle of normal, cholesterol is in 180s, androgens are low end of normal, kidney function is better than normal, and no pcos-type cysts show up on my ultrasound. The only thing that would indicate it is that I am fat! (I weigh 210 and am 5'5"). When I asked if losing weight would help, she completely bipassed the topic and said that Metformin would help in getting me to ovulate.  From what I have read, losing weight would help too. She would like to start me prior to the surgery so I can build up the level I am taking and will be ready to go on having a baby once I can post-op. Oh, and because I would be on the Metformin, I would have to take birth control pills before surgery, just so I don't get pregnant. Um... how about waiting on both then...

Anywho, now it is just getting through the holidays. We are traveling for 10 days and will be home 1 day before surgery, so hopefully I won't be too stressed at surgery time!

That is good to hear! Have read so many horror stories on other sites. My hope is that my recovery will be as easy as yours!
In Late September I finally convinced a doctor that something was wrong with me. I went through 3 obgyns until someone took me seriously. I was having very. Irregular periods that would be 35 days then 25 days. My gynecologist decided to do a sonogram and confirmed what I thought.  I had a 6 cm cyst on my left ovary.

I took some time to think about it and finally decided to have it removed. The past month I was having pain in my left side. I couldn't wait to have it removed.

I finally had the surgery 11/21. When surgery was over, my doc told me that the cyst on left ovary ruptured prior. However, there was also a 4 cm cyst that was on my right ovary which safe removed.

After surgery I was so bloated. I wasn't feeling any pain other than gas pain. I finally moved my bowels today. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have a bowel movement in my life. I'm walking around trying to motivate  the remaining gas to leave my body. I walk like a duck at the moment, but I can't wait until I'm back to my old self.
Hi Lilyfranklin,

Good to know you are doing fine.  What kind of surgery did the doctor do? Did the Doctor remove you Ovaries and tubes or was the cyst removed leaving your organs?
Thank you and take care of yourself.
I am having a 25X20X9 cyst and ovary removed the first week in December. Looks like you had something similar.

What is your advice for recovery and not going insane during recovery? Also, do you know how much yours weighed? How much does your body change?
I'm not sure how much my cyst weighed.  I expected my stomach and abdomen to go back to normal soon after surgery but that didn't happen.

I no longer fluctuated 10kg (22lbs) of fluid overnight and my belly and abdomen size went down to some degree but little did I know at the time I had severe fluid retention from untreated hypothyroidism which really affected my abdomen and stomach plus I had quite a lot of abdomen and belly fat from insulin resistance.

I was in bed at the hospital for 3 days and in bed for another 7 at home. The only time I left my bed was to go to the bathroom and to get my painkillers from the fridge.  I slept most of the time. The surgery really took it's toll but to add I had other medical conditions and deficiency states as well.

Take it easy.  If you aren't sleeping for most of the time like I did, you'll have to find something to keep you occupied (movies, books etc). You'll be up and about before you know it. Good luck. :)

I had a cyst surgery and doctor said it was a 2cm complex cyst when i woke up from surgery they tell me the dc did no remove because it was small couldn't she have told me that before??
I haven't even read through a ton of comments yet and I already LOVE you all and this thread. I'm 37 and 3 weeks post op. I had a hysterectomy for a severely prolapsed uterus, right salpingo-oopherectomy (right Fallopian tube and ovary removal for significant  history of cysts and ovary measured double the size of the left), and also the transvaginal mesh. As if it wasn't enough that my uterus was falling out and literally almost out, my anterior vaginal wall collapsed also! Oh ~ all done by the Davinci robot. Oy vey! I have a male GYN that thinks all should be well 2-4 days after surgery. I literally was harassed off my IV pain meds less about 8 hours after surgery. "If you keep taking pain meds IV we can't send you home!" I was sent home less than 24 hours later. I felt I was kind of kicked out. I was in horrific pain. This surgery was supposed to take 3 hours and I was in for 4 hours due to idk what, but I wasn't an easy case apparently. My point? I'm 3 weeks post op and have lumps in my groin area, pain there and where my right ovary was. The pain radiates down my leg and is sharp, stabbing in nature. This is a new and different pain that is so significant I've vomited. I called my surgeon and requested a refill for pain meds and an appt. the nurse stated in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM should I be having this severe of pain and I need to be seen. Duh. I go tomorrow morning (72 hours after initial phone call and 72 more grueling hours with no pain meds). I also have pain where my uterus was and pain when I go poo and pass gas. I'm sick and tired of hearing how I should feel based on statistics. Something isn't right. I think it's very possible it's adhesions, phantom pain, a new cyst, and/or a blood clot. Just looking for real opinions and any like experiences or symptoms. I'm an RN so I'm well versed medically, just not with the girl parts. I appreciate any and all advice :-)
Hi everyone, I love this thread and it really supported me before my op when I was really nervous.  I even dreamt that I was going to die on the surgery table!  So in return, I wanted to write my experience to help anyone out there with their worries and concerns.  

I am 9 days post-op and I removed 3 cysts as well.  2 dermoid cysts (2.5cm each) from my right and 1 hemorrhagic ovarian cyst (4.9cm) on my left.  As for the dermoid cyst, I knew I had it for a couple of years now but all the doctors I've visited (I moved countries so I think I saw 5 doctors total) always thought it was 1 dermoid cyst.  In fact, I found out that it was 2 right before my surgery!

SYMPTOM:
I may have been very lucky about the post-op pain.  I don't remember much but I remember telling the nurse I had sharp pains immediately after I woke up but I think this was also because I was a bit traumatized about having pain.  Thankfully, the pain killers worked and I was discharged in an hour or so.  

POST SURGERY:
The first few days, I was really tired and slept all day.  There was some pain but bearable and something similar to a muscle ache.  I was off my pain killers in 2 days and by that time, it only times it hurts was when I laughed, coughed or yawned.  I was given 30 days of medical leave, which is a long time for me to be off work so I will be back next week after taking 2 weeks off.  In this 2 weeks off, I'm being extra careful and staying at home mostly so I don't "strain" anything.  I'll be seeing the doc tomorrow for post op check-up.

REGRETS
As much as I'm very thankful that the surgery was a success and the pain wasn't bad at all... I ended up with a very ugly belly button.  I had a normal belly button pre-surgery and now it is an abnormal outie (it looks like my intestines are sticking out).  Besides my belly button, another side effect that happened for me was perspiring more and having very oily skin, especially the face and scalp.  No acne thank god.

Did anyone end up with a very hideous belly button?  I hope I'm not the only one here...
Hi there I'm 20 and had a 9cm cyst on my left ovary! The doctors said for 2 years it was PID which soon found out it was my belly was so big! But I had my surgery last year in May 2012 and I had key hole surgery but my belly gets so bloated and big all the time time it hurts , don't know if it's still the gas or what it's very painful and haven't has a check up as they said it was common for cyst to grow again? :( thanks
Can you tell me which anti-nausea medicine worked so well?  Thanks!
Please help advice needed I've suffered from suspected utis for a few months symptoms include pain after urination passing visible blood all urine samples come back from lab clear so go referee me to urology to have a camera in my bladder at the end of this month.
Anyway my mirena coil was due to be removed had that done over the next month had no bleeding at all just period like cramps the pain was intense so went to the hospital a scan showed up a 5cm cyst on left ovary I was given antibiotics and sent home to await app with genie.
The period type pain has returned and this morning I have been for a pee and passed overly light pink blood I don't know if this has come from my bladder or if it's my period starting.
I need advice on the cyst and the pain and bleeding I don't know what to do
I had laparoscopic surgery 3 days ago to investigate a tumor growing from my spine into my abdomen.  While in there they found cysts on one of my ovaries and removed it.  Here are some lessons I learned:
• The day after the surgery I began bleeding like a normal period, with cramps and all.  This is still going on.
• A few hours after my surgery I had severe pressure on my chest and could barely take a breath in.  This lasted about 10 minutes, I just stayed calm and it passed.  I would say it felt like a heart attack.
• Dilaudid may make you very sick, even in an IV drip.  It can also cause migraines.  This is the last thing you need after surgery.  I insisted on oral Oxycodone instead.  However, I found the best relief came from good old Tylenol.
• Using Epsom salts diluted in water as a laxative was my savior.  Whenever I felt backed up I would drink this and have relief within an hour.  DO NOT take more if you do not get relief, just try it again the next day.
• You will undoubtedly run into people who say they know others who had laparoscopic surgery and were fine the next day.  Maybe this could happen, but I doubt it.  I could not do anything the next day.  Every move was painful.  I equate it to how your stomach feels after having a terrible cold where you are coughing all the time.  Any slight gasp, cough, clearing of the throat can be felt through your entire torso.
• You will have your period every month even with one ovary.  Basically the remaining ovary picks up the slack.
• Eat very light for the following week, even if you have a window where you feel great.  No matter how good it tastes, it’s not worth the pain you will have in an hour.  These feel good windows do not last.
• Sleep in a recliner if you can, I could have never laid in a bed.
• Lastly, be understanding of pets and small children.  They seem to know you’re in pain and want to help by getting all over you.  Just gently push them off you; it helps to have someone there to keep them at bay.
Unfortunately it looks like my spine/abdomen tumor is cancerous, and this is the start of my journey.  But finding these sites has given me comfort in seeing how people want to comfort and aid complete strangers.  Good luck and God bless to anyone visiting this site and feeling alone.
Monique, my prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery:)
So, I havent posted on this thread in a while.. If your scroll up youll see my story. what ***** is, I had a doctors appointment today to check the healing process and some other things from my laprascopic surgery in september, turns out i have a cyst in my now one and only overy left. being only 22, you can imagine how i reacted.. married, no children, but definitely want some. and being in the military, some of these doctors dont even want to do anything about it. right now the cyst is only 4 cm, hopefully it will go away on its own, maybe this upcoming period. but damn, its definitely been a crazy ride these past few months.
i didnt know ***** was a bad word... hmmm edit that to say what s u ck s is..
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update on my situation in case anyone else out there has a similar situation.  My surgery was quick and it went well. I have a couple of small scars.  I was out of there quickly too, as I really wanted to get home to my nursing baby.  I was able to lie on my side in bed to nurse him without too much discomfort and I put a pillow over my belly just in case he had a random kick :)   I took the advice of this board and really took it easy, not trying to do too much too soon.  From the outside it doesn't look like much but it is so hard on your body.  The most pain I had was from the gas and I made myself get up a walk around the room frequently to work it out.  My family and friends were very supportive so I would encourage anyone going through this, especially with young children, to reach out for help. I was so nervous about the surgery but each person is different, before the surgery I was fit, active and healthy, so my recovery went well.  Thank you all for sharing your story here.
Great comments ladies. I just had my first surgery, laproscopic surgery last week after I had an ovarian cyst rupture on me.. ouch!

I wasnt suprised that I had a cyst lurking, I could feel the dull pain in my right lower abs but I was somewhat ignoring it. I actually thought I was just having a bad issue with constipation which is nothing new for me. Well, the cyst burst and it is painful. Sharp pain in the entire abdomen and I just began to violently throw up. I was so weak, my husband made me go to the ER. When I got the ER my BP was 79/50- they gave me some pain meds (Thank you!!) and did a vaginal ultrasound and found that I had a cyst rupture and that I had 2 additional cysts around 5cm each on my right side. One was a functional cyst, the second was "complex" they werent sure what it was full with. So, considering I didnt want to have another one rupture and the fact that the complex one wasnt going to go away on its own, I decided to schedule surgery. I had an issue w/ cysts last summer as well so it was becoming an on-going issue which was causing pain during sex (and my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant) and a constant pain in my stomach.

My surgeon was great, explained everything very well. Waited a week before going in- long week. Its all I could think about. The other thing I thought about was having a male surgeon. I had never gone to a male doctor and I was really freaked out about it. My husband kept telling me I was being silly that he is a professional. I just felt like I was going to be so exposed and have no idea what was going on. I had a really tough time with that, still bothers me after the fact. So- not sure if anyone else had/has that concern but if so- I get it!

Surgery went well- about 2 hours. Both cysts were removed and he was able to save my ovary which I was incredibly happy about. He also found that I have severe endometrosis which can only be confirmed with surgery. I have stage 4- which basically means it is everywhere. Good explanation as to why my husband and I have been having such a difficult time conceiving. We have seen a fertility doctor but they werent 100% sure if I had endo. He removed as much of the endo as he could and said now is a great time to try as my odds will increase since some has been removed. I am 38 and my husband is 43- we have no children.

Post surgery has been very slow moving. I had surgery on Friday, today is Tuesday and still moving slowly. I do agree that you need to get up and walk around. Otherwise you get so stiff. The mornings are the toughest to move because I have been still for so long. I might go back to work tomorrow (work from home) just to cure my boredom. Also- using a heating pad helps and hold it to your stomach if you need to sneeze or cough which is very painful. I cringe when I need to cough.

Good luck to everyone!  I read alot about this surgery beforehand and all I can say is that everyone is different with recovery. Each surgery is unique and different things are being done inside our bodies. I spoke with a few friends that said 2 days tops, well I am at day 5 and I am still in a good amount of pain. I have a pretty good pain tolerance- my friends are wimps, seriously. I have been feeling a little bad about it and feeling like I am being a baby because they were up and at it so much quicker but as my husband keeps saying- They had a small amount of endo and didnt have 2 cysts removed, that will add to the recovery.
Very good information, They tried to save my ovary with my first surgery but couldnt. So you have reassured me that if I need to get surgery again to remove this cyst i have now in my only ovary, that we actually have a chance of saving it :)
Viewing 201-392 comments: