Ovarian Cysts Community
Top 10 things I have learned from laproscopic cyst/ovary removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Viewing 401-402 comments:
So, here's an update on my situation. Last week I had some massive pains, and my gyn decided it's time to do surgery. I'll be having surgery to remove my ovary next tuesday on the 17th. I had to get another pelvic exam done to see what exactly the cyst is doing. I went from having one cyst that was about 7cm, to two cyst (one 6 cm and one 4 cm). Doctors are confused with how a 7 cm cyst turned into two different cysts. Both pelvic exams being 3 weeks apart. Pain getting worse. So doctor is definitely all for it since more are forming and the pain just seems to be getting worse. I had a instance of a few days where i was very nausous which kinda scared me. Pain felt like severe cramps where I didnt want to move, literally had to be in the fetal position for hours at a time. But i knew it didnt rupture, it would have been a lot worse! Tomorrow I have my pre-op appointment, what should I expect with that? And how long should I have my husband take leave off of work? I'm just so anxious to get the surgery so this pain will finally stop!!!
I hope it all goes well!  And I'm wondering if it twisted so it could look like two different cysts. who know on that, just a thought. As for the surgery, that should take about one hour or longer depending on what they find. As for your husband taking off from work, you might have trouble for the first night and first day after surgery getting in and out of bed. If you have a reclining lounge chair that would work great for when he's not there. I would say maybe till Thursday or Friday (so 2-3 days), but everyone is different.  I would ask the nurses at the pre-op exam tomorrow about how long as well just to be sure.

I wish you luck with your surgery and I hope the pain is gone soon!
I would also suggest looking at the first post on this forum. It helps a lot and tells the truth about it all. I wish I had seen that before my first surgery....
Thank you. Everything here has definitely helped get a better perspective. I've prepped everything, so I'm ready. surgery is tomorrow morning. Today is going by so slow, getting very anxious and nervous. Pain is rediculous. And menstral is supposed to be here.. hasnt. Last five menstral cycles have been off, has anyone else experienced abnormal periods? I take birth control pills, I've recently been getting my periods a week before the actual "period pills" and now I'm two days into the "period pills" but no period.. crampy. but nadaaaaaa. Maybe its the nerves? the stress? (Docs did a blood test a week ago so I'm not pregnant and there are no signs of cancer). 16 hours until surgery.
I hope all went well with your surgery today!  I've been noticing that some of mine have been off as well, same with birth control and mine don't show up for about 5 days.  And i'll agree with the "crampyness", but most likely this time it is just stress. Let me know how you're doing!
hi, i had a laparoscopy on the same day as you! they removed 3 cysts and most of my left ovary. i was told that the surgery would be around 45mins, 3 hours and 15mins later i came out of surgery. apparently i bled too much. i am only just beginning to feel a little well, i have experienced terrible shoulder and tummy pain due to the gas and my tummy is so swollen, i cant get comfortable to sleep, i didnt think that it would be this bad. i hope you are feeling well, im sure it can only get better.xx
i would suggest curling up on your side, with a pillow in between your legs and then hug one to your chest. It ***** due to the gas pain but feels a lot better if you do that.
Hey everyone, Just wanted to let everyone know that surgery went very well. It was only just over an hour. I slept for a bit though haha no surprise there. Right when I woke up, I was in quite a bit of pain, mostly dull pains, so the nurse put some more meds in my IV. Once I was ready I left, hurt to get up obviously. But it honestly wasnt as bad as I was making it out to be. Forst day after surgery, I was too medicated to even remember the pain, Thank God. I just remember the drive home SUCKED! My husband is a speed demon in my car haha. First few days, I needed help getting in and out of bed, I didnt have any problems with the wiping my privates haha no need for any reacher thingy. So, I pretty much stayed in bed for about 2-3 days, then started walking around a lot ! It hurt a bit, but i started getting in and out of bed without help. Actually, I didnt really need help with anything. I was just too sore to be on my feet for too long. I probably didnt go #2 for about 3 days, and even then it was nothing. And am still having a bit of trouble in that area, doctor says its due to my pain meds though. Now, 13 days post op, I'm doing a lot more! I feel back to normal, have been for about 2 days now. I literally just woke up one morning and felt so much better! Doing a lot though, theres still a dull ache. I had a little issue, I tried to do too much too early, I bent over to grab something on the floor maybe 5 days post op and felt a stinging pain under my belly button (i had laparoscopic surgery just in case anyone is wondering), and then my belly button started bleeding, Doc says I probably just stretched a sticth and that it was no big deal. Pain went away after 10 minutes so I wasnt too worried. The only thing Im worried about now, is that they "glued" my otside incisions and stitched the inside parts. The glue has peeled off, and I literally just have two open wounds on my side... lol. Well I have my post op appointment next week, I'm sure everything will be healed by then. One thing though, Im 13 days post op, and I had sexual intercourse with my husband cuz everything was feeling so much better, ever since then though I've had this dull ache in the actual area where they removed my ovary. (before it was just the pain at the incision sites and the abdominal movements). So we'll see how that goes .
I'm sorry to hear that. I guess it really just depends on an individuals doctor and their procedure in removing the gas. I literally had only a few hours of gassy pain, no shoulder pain. It was just a matter of ab movement, bowel movement, and now my insides just have a constant dull ache. Blah. I cant wait to go back to doing my normal activities. Missing so much gym time!!
Oh and just my luck, i got my period morning of surgery lol.  So i had to say hello to that mesh boy short thing haha. Woke up without it though, I guess they cut it off during surgery.
Sorry, one more post, :: One big issue I'm dealing with :::

PAIN PILLS MASK THE PAIN!! I thought i was feeling back to normal, and got off the meds, big no no.. it was like all the pain came back at one time and so suddenly. My insides hurt. You may think youre ready to go back to work or do normal activities, thats what i thought when i bent over to grab something on the floor! and stretched stitch was the outcome. REST REST REST! Wane yourself slowly off the pain meds so you can see how bad the pain is.
hi my name is dani
im 25 and just found out about a month ago that i have a 30 cm x21 cm cyst comming from my right ovary ohhh joy hahahaha. I get menstrual cramps but nothing a tylenol wont fix , other than that i just thought i was bloated all the time  i don't have any pain or irregular menstrual cycles r a huge belly , to warn me of the huge invader i have inside , but because of the size of the cyst the state of my ovary is unknown. Everybody in my family just tell me ohhhh dont worry thats why you have two (inside my head i am thinking yeah right why dont you go through surgery and get a huge thing out of you hahaha) I am having robotic laparoscopy ....has anyone had this done ? is it different from normal laparoscopy? . My doctor said the surgery is no big deal and that i would be out of the hospital in no time and walking the next day , but from everyones experience i guess its not as simple as it sounds . What scares me the most is the constipation because i normally suffer badly from it  and the pain  from the gas which was never mentioned by my doc .What are the best tips you have for an easy recovery , all help and advice and words of wisdom will be dearly appreciated
thank you  all very much for sharing things that my doctor hasn't mentioned at all .
and good luck to all of you recovering and getting operated soon .
Okay, time for the dumb questions from the peanut gallery...

1. There are quite a few here that don't say what type of cyst they have removed. Are these simple cysts? Chocolate? Complex? The dermtoid with the teeth and hair?

2. Were you given the option of egg harvest before the ovary is removed (assuming you had both removed or have the first removed but second one is prone to problems too)? If so, and if you did, was that done at the same time or before?

3. Did you know going into your surgery that it would be removed? Or was it because you signed the papers to say "do what you need to doctor" and then the doctor deemed upon opening you up that you needed it removed too?

I am currently in the 'watchful waiting' process for a 5.4cm simple cyst on the right ovary and a 3cm simple cyst on the left, and have never had any pain or problems with mine other than a 68 day period from 7/23-9/29. I'm not sure if the cysts caused it or if the fact that I was diagnosed on 10/1 with hypothyroidism was the cause. After next period (Provera ends on 10/10, so dr says it should start 10/12-15), I am having the saline injection transvaginal ultrasound to look at them and to look for uterine polyps. She has said that mine are 'unusual' and I should be thinking/reading up on surgery to prepare myself, just in cases.  I am 34, been married 1 1/2 years, and the most we have had pregnancy-wise is a miscarriage in March.

I appreciate all  your comments and stories.  Although it is 'scary' to think about, it helps to know that if I do have to have both or even one ovary removed, I'm not the only one that has had this. Talking to family and friends doesn't help because nobody has ever had any reproductive issues like this and they just don't get it! Kudos to all here!!! :-)
I'm still waiting for the dumb questions. :)

1. I had a 25cm simple ovarian cyst (full of white fluid) but I had to go to three gynecologists before one would agree to do keyhole surgery.

2. I didn't even think about an egg harvest and the doctor didn't mention it either.

3. The doctor talked about possible symptoms after surgery (eg: gas pain) and what he might have to do during surgery (in my case an incision and ovary removal). I never suffered any gas pain but he did need to do a 3 inch incision and remove what was left of my ovary. No incision scar. :)

I have hypothyroidism which is a known cause of ovarian cysts. During pregnancy, untreated (or poorly treated) hypothyroidism is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, low birth weight, and other serious complications.
1. I had a 7 cm simple cyst removed.

2. An egg harvest wasnt really brought up because I'd still have my other ovary which would take over and I'd be just as fertile. My doc told me that once I have one removed, and if something were to happen to the other, then they would do everything possible to save it. And Im assuming if they couldnt save it, then theyd harvest eggs. But that wouldnt be a problem, (knock on wood) hopefully nothing will happen to my one and only ovary left!!

3. I acually signed papers stating that they would remove my right ovary (Oopherectomy) just because the doc said that theres a high chance of the cyst growing back.

When I first went to see my doc, she said that if the cyst wasnt causing pain or any other symtoms (symptoms), they wouldnt have to remove it. Most of the time cyst will just go away on their own. It may take a while depending on how big it is though. They usually only want to operate when youre actually feeling pain since that could be symtoms (symptoms) of the cyst twisting your ovary or rupturing which would be a lot worse. Twisting ovary = most of the time they cant save the ovary, so youd lose it anyways, they only difference is, youd go through all the pain of that.  Rupturing cyst = (if large enough) can cause an infection and many other problems, not to mention would be very painful.

Here's some back ground from my doc::: Every woman gets cysts in their ovaries. The "cyst" is what usually carried the egg and then the cyst ruptures releasing the egg down the tubes. Sometimes the cyst doesnt rupture which would trap the egg and create the dermoid cyst that has hair and teeth (due to the genetics in the egg), sometimes the cyst will rupture, releasing the egg, but then will close back up and just be filled with fluid. And then sometimes, theres just one of those random cysts that arent formed by the egg that are usually ON (not IN) the ovary.
Thanks guys for the comments!  ;-)
I had a simple cyst on my right ovary for at least 10 years. It went away during pregnancy, and perhaps varied in size between 1.5-3 inches during that time. BCP didn't help, and I didn't stay on them. Last month pain and some irregular bleeding sent me back to Dra. and we saw it had grown to over 5 in. I had it removed (and ovary too) on Tuesday along with fallopian tubes getting cut in. Kind of a two for one sterilization given I am 48 and really don't want to get pregnant again, not a problem. I will see what more she tells me on Tuesday check up. I wanted to tell you this, because it appears that relatively symptomless simple cysts can last without needing surgery. It worked for me for years, and I am glad I didn't have the surgery till now.

As for my recovery story--- its day 6, I have relatively little pain, I have taken 400 mg doses of ibuprophen. I got my period on day 3 and cramping with surgery pain was a bit painful and I took 800 mg.  I had some gas pain but took my med for that regularly. I came home same day (and partial block anethesia, and lower back and legs were rather useless the first 30 hours or so-) I had back discomfort from lying down, so started walking regularly in house, started at home office work day 3 but felt less that sharp on writing and organizing skills. Still it had to be done. Day 5 did a major shop with help and felt good but tired. I drink TONS of water and eat high fiber and had no constipation at all. But, I should say that is normally never an issue for me, so I can imagine its a concern for those with regularity problems going into surgery :-(

I wish the best to everyone. Please remember to talk with your docs, insist on explanations that you can understand and if it helps write all your questions before calling or going to appointments-- bring a friend/advocate to help you remember whats been said. You right to health is a right to information as well as treatment!!
I have been reading this thread, and I am so thankful bc my Dr.s did not give me any of this advice, just that I'll be fine in 3-4 days. I am writing now bc my surgery is Friday, and I'm having my gallbladder removed at the same time. I also have a 5 month old baby. I am a stay at home mom and I nurse my baby, I am so nervous that I will not be able to take care of him and that nursing will be too painful. I was thinking I could nurse in the side lying position but now after reading your posts, it sounds like lying on my side will be very painful.  Anyone else have a similar experience? I will have my husband home for three days after the surgery and my mom with me the fourth day.
Had transvag ultrasound to measure how much my ovarian cyst has grown. Pain unbearable. Anyway I'm ready all this about gas and shoulder pain and walk it out.  I don't fully understand .  Do they pump co2 into you and does it travel throughout your body and stay for weeks?  How do you get rid of it
They pump gas into your stomache area to raise up your abdomen so they can see where all your insides are. If the doctor is really good, they usually get the majority of the gas out once the surgery is over. Sometimes there could be quite a bit left over and thats how you get the gas pains. Your body absorbs it and it slowly tries to leave your body.. well .. by the gassy areas. lol. The shoulder pain is due to the way they lay you out during surgery. I was on the stirrups so they didnt have to lay me in my side like that. It really just depends on the doctors you go see and what their procedures are. Everyone does things there own way, just as long as they get the big picture, they'll do whatever they gotta do. lol. You get rid of the gas by moving around. It helps your body absorb it faster and then expell it faster. The more you sit around, it will just stay in one place. Kinda like your metabolism, the more you exercise, the faster things move through your body, the less you do, the longer it takes to leave your body.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything. The pain definitely *****, but once surgery is done, and youre all healed up, you feel back to normal... (somewhat) lol. I had my right ovary removed, i say i feel normal.. but i dont haha i mean c'mon .. im missing an internal organ! lol
Hey guys, thought I would throw in my two pence for what it's worth. Had a laparoscopy to remove a 13cm simple cyst on Saturday (yesterday). I was told by the surgeon it could have to go open, in case anything went wrong. Luckily they did it all keyhole, with only 3 small incisions even though when they got in there it had grown to 20cm!!!!. I was kept in for a few hours till the morphine wore off but came home last night and had a comfortable sleep I have had a good bit of soreness but nothing painkillers (just paracetamol and ibuprofen) can't tame. I have had a bit of an urgency to wee accompanied by the rather uncomfortable feeling that presents! I stress uncomfortable, not painful. Eating quite well, and starting to be able to fart (sorry but so relieving!). No gas pain at all for me luckily. Been movin round the house fine, done some odd housework, washed in the sink and cooked dinner and now back rested. Overall, not half as scary, painful or complicated as I feared. Just some hope for you out there with large cysts...if they are simple, they absolutely can be removed via keyhole, just find yourself a surgeon capable of doing it! Hope your recoveries go as well as mine :)
Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't been on here or posted much recently. I have been busy around here getting all the fall work -- raking, cleaning up the garden, planting bulbs and hardneck garlic, etc -- done before the flurries fly! Also been at the dr frequently for this and that, so not much time to get online.

To update:
--Had a sonoHSG to check on things in late Oct. No endometriosis, tubes are open, and everything looked great. I had no pain at all -- was talking to the nurse about what I do for work, and then realized the dr and ultrasound tech had things in and the saline going because I could feel the extra running down my bottom.  All three said I did really well and had never seen anyone not have pain. Well, 3 Advils in the girl that never takes pills for a headache will make you fly high and painfree I guess.  Anyway, the cysts were still large (R: 4.7cm, L: 2ish cm), and the right side had a developing something. Follicle? Cyst?
--Was supposed to check for ovulation later that week, but pee tests were always negative. finally went in the next week to find out that I had a rock bottom progesterone level. Not good.
--Had a external ultrasound earlier this week to see what the cysts are up to. In the last two months, no changes. Now are 4.8 and about 2.3 and have been diagnosed as "bilateral cystadenomas". The little 'follicle' from previous visit is now about 1 cm and dr thinks it is another cyst.
--Will be having laproscopic surgery in early January to remove both cysts. Depending on what the little new cyst looks like at the pre-op visit, may have that out too since they are in there to get the others.  My only concern is that it is at the opposite end of the ovary from the other. If you can imagine, my ovary looks like a piece of candy corn, with the two ends as the cysts and the middle as the normal ovary. Dr. says she is confident I won't lose the ovary, so I hope she is right.
--Am going to be starting on Metformin at some point because she says I am slightly PCOS. I really don't understand how I am: sugar is middle of normal, cholesterol is in 180s, androgens are low end of normal, kidney function is better than normal, and no pcos-type cysts show up on my ultrasound. The only thing that would indicate it is that I am fat! (I weigh 210 and am 5'5"). When I asked if losing weight would help, she completely bipassed the topic and said that Metformin would help in getting me to ovulate.  From what I have read, losing weight would help too. She would like to start me prior to the surgery so I can build up the level I am taking and will be ready to go on having a baby once I can post-op. Oh, and because I would be on the Metformin, I would have to take birth control pills before surgery, just so I don't get pregnant. Um... how about waiting on both then...

Anywho, now it is just getting through the holidays. We are traveling for 10 days and will be home 1 day before surgery, so hopefully I won't be too stressed at surgery time!

That is good to hear! Have read so many horror stories on other sites. My hope is that my recovery will be as easy as yours!
In Late September I finally convinced a doctor that something was wrong with me. I went through 3 obgyns until someone took me seriously. I was having very. Irregular periods that would be 35 days then 25 days. My gynecologist decided to do a sonogram and confirmed what I thought.  I had a 6 cm cyst on my left ovary.

I took some time to think about it and finally decided to have it removed. The past month I was having pain in my left side. I couldn't wait to have it removed.

I finally had the surgery 11/21. When surgery was over, my doc told me that the cyst on left ovary ruptured prior. However, there was also a 4 cm cyst that was on my right ovary which safe removed.

After surgery I was so bloated. I wasn't feeling any pain other than gas pain. I finally moved my bowels today. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have a bowel movement in my life. I'm walking around trying to motivate  the remaining gas to leave my body. I walk like a duck at the moment, but I can't wait until I'm back to my old self.
Hi Lilyfranklin,

Good to know you are doing fine.  What kind of surgery did the doctor do? Did the Doctor remove you Ovaries and tubes or was the cyst removed leaving your organs?
Thank you and take care of yourself.
I am having a 25X20X9 cyst and ovary removed the first week in December. Looks like you had something similar.

What is your advice for recovery and not going insane during recovery? Also, do you know how much yours weighed? How much does your body change?
I'm not sure how much my cyst weighed.  I expected my stomach and abdomen to go back to normal soon after surgery but that didn't happen.

I no longer fluctuated 10kg (22lbs) of fluid overnight and my belly and abdomen size went down to some degree but little did I know at the time I had severe fluid retention from untreated hypothyroidism which really affected my abdomen and stomach plus I had quite a lot of abdomen and belly fat from insulin resistance.

I was in bed at the hospital for 3 days and in bed for another 7 at home. The only time I left my bed was to go to the bathroom and to get my painkillers from the fridge.  I slept most of the time. The surgery really took it's toll but to add I had other medical conditions and deficiency states as well.

Take it easy.  If you aren't sleeping for most of the time like I did, you'll have to find something to keep you occupied (movies, books etc). You'll be up and about before you know it. Good luck. :)

I had a cyst surgery and doctor said it was a 2cm complex cyst when i woke up from surgery they tell me the dc did no remove because it was small couldn't she have told me that before??
I haven't even read through a ton of comments yet and I already LOVE you all and this thread. I'm 37 and 3 weeks post op. I had a hysterectomy for a severely prolapsed uterus, right salpingo-oopherectomy (right Fallopian tube and ovary removal for significant  history of cysts and ovary measured double the size of the left), and also the transvaginal mesh. As if it wasn't enough that my uterus was falling out and literally almost out, my anterior vaginal wall collapsed also! Oh ~ all done by the Davinci robot. Oy vey! I have a male GYN that thinks all should be well 2-4 days after surgery. I literally was harassed off my IV pain meds less about 8 hours after surgery. "If you keep taking pain meds IV we can't send you home!" I was sent home less than 24 hours later. I felt I was kind of kicked out. I was in horrific pain. This surgery was supposed to take 3 hours and I was in for 4 hours due to idk what, but I wasn't an easy case apparently. My point? I'm 3 weeks post op and have lumps in my groin area, pain there and where my right ovary was. The pain radiates down my leg and is sharp, stabbing in nature. This is a new and different pain that is so significant I've vomited. I called my surgeon and requested a refill for pain meds and an appt. the nurse stated in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM should I be having this severe of pain and I need to be seen. Duh. I go tomorrow morning (72 hours after initial phone call and 72 more grueling hours with no pain meds). I also have pain where my uterus was and pain when I go poo and pass gas. I'm sick and tired of hearing how I should feel based on statistics. Something isn't right. I think it's very possible it's adhesions, phantom pain, a new cyst, and/or a blood clot. Just looking for real opinions and any like experiences or symptoms. I'm an RN so I'm well versed medically, just not with the girl parts. I appreciate any and all advice :-)
Hi everyone, I love this thread and it really supported me before my op when I was really nervous.  I even dreamt that I was going to die on the surgery table!  So in return, I wanted to write my experience to help anyone out there with their worries and concerns.  

I am 9 days post-op and I removed 3 cysts as well.  2 dermoid cysts (2.5cm each) from my right and 1 hemorrhagic ovarian cyst (4.9cm) on my left.  As for the dermoid cyst, I knew I had it for a couple of years now but all the doctors I've visited (I moved countries so I think I saw 5 doctors total) always thought it was 1 dermoid cyst.  In fact, I found out that it was 2 right before my surgery!

SYMPTOM:
I may have been very lucky about the post-op pain.  I don't remember much but I remember telling the nurse I had sharp pains immediately after I woke up but I think this was also because I was a bit traumatized about having pain.  Thankfully, the pain killers worked and I was discharged in an hour or so.  

POST SURGERY:
The first few days, I was really tired and slept all day.  There was some pain but bearable and something similar to a muscle ache.  I was off my pain killers in 2 days and by that time, it only times it hurts was when I laughed, coughed or yawned.  I was given 30 days of medical leave, which is a long time for me to be off work so I will be back next week after taking 2 weeks off.  In this 2 weeks off, I'm being extra careful and staying at home mostly so I don't "strain" anything.  I'll be seeing the doc tomorrow for post op check-up.

REGRETS
As much as I'm very thankful that the surgery was a success and the pain wasn't bad at all... I ended up with a very ugly belly button.  I had a normal belly button pre-surgery and now it is an abnormal outie (it looks like my intestines are sticking out).  Besides my belly button, another side effect that happened for me was perspiring more and having very oily skin, especially the face and scalp.  No acne thank god.

Did anyone end up with a very hideous belly button?  I hope I'm not the only one here...
Hi there I'm 20 and had a 9cm cyst on my left ovary! The doctors said for 2 years it was PID which soon found out it was my belly was so big! But I had my surgery last year in May 2012 and I had key hole surgery but my belly gets so bloated and big all the time time it hurts , don't know if it's still the gas or what it's very painful and haven't has a check up as they said it was common for cyst to grow again? :( thanks
Can you tell me which anti-nausea medicine worked so well?  Thanks!
Please help advice needed I've suffered from suspected utis for a few months symptoms include pain after urination passing visible blood all urine samples come back from lab clear so go referee me to urology to have a camera in my bladder at the end of this month.
Anyway my mirena coil was due to be removed had that done over the next month had no bleeding at all just period like cramps the pain was intense so went to the hospital a scan showed up a 5cm cyst on left ovary I was given antibiotics and sent home to await app with genie.
The period type pain has returned and this morning I have been for a pee and passed overly light pink blood I don't know if this has come from my bladder or if it's my period starting.
I need advice on the cyst and the pain and bleeding I don't know what to do
I had laparoscopic surgery 3 days ago to investigate a tumor growing from my spine into my abdomen.  While in there they found cysts on one of my ovaries and removed it.  Here are some lessons I learned:
• The day after the surgery I began bleeding like a normal period, with cramps and all.  This is still going on.
• A few hours after my surgery I had severe pressure on my chest and could barely take a breath in.  This lasted about 10 minutes, I just stayed calm and it passed.  I would say it felt like a heart attack.
• Dilaudid may make you very sick, even in an IV drip.  It can also cause migraines.  This is the last thing you need after surgery.  I insisted on oral Oxycodone instead.  However, I found the best relief came from good old Tylenol.
• Using Epsom salts diluted in water as a laxative was my savior.  Whenever I felt backed up I would drink this and have relief within an hour.  DO NOT take more if you do not get relief, just try it again the next day.
• You will undoubtedly run into people who say they know others who had laparoscopic surgery and were fine the next day.  Maybe this could happen, but I doubt it.  I could not do anything the next day.  Every move was painful.  I equate it to how your stomach feels after having a terrible cold where you are coughing all the time.  Any slight gasp, cough, clearing of the throat can be felt through your entire torso.
• You will have your period every month even with one ovary.  Basically the remaining ovary picks up the slack.
• Eat very light for the following week, even if you have a window where you feel great.  No matter how good it tastes, it’s not worth the pain you will have in an hour.  These feel good windows do not last.
• Sleep in a recliner if you can, I could have never laid in a bed.
• Lastly, be understanding of pets and small children.  They seem to know you’re in pain and want to help by getting all over you.  Just gently push them off you; it helps to have someone there to keep them at bay.
Unfortunately it looks like my spine/abdomen tumor is cancerous, and this is the start of my journey.  But finding these sites has given me comfort in seeing how people want to comfort and aid complete strangers.  Good luck and God bless to anyone visiting this site and feeling alone.
Monique, my prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery:)
So, I havent posted on this thread in a while.. If your scroll up youll see my story. what ***** is, I had a doctors appointment today to check the healing process and some other things from my laprascopic surgery in september, turns out i have a cyst in my now one and only overy left. being only 22, you can imagine how i reacted.. married, no children, but definitely want some. and being in the military, some of these doctors dont even want to do anything about it. right now the cyst is only 4 cm, hopefully it will go away on its own, maybe this upcoming period. but damn, its definitely been a crazy ride these past few months.
i didnt know ***** was a bad word... hmmm edit that to say what s u ck s is..
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update on my situation in case anyone else out there has a similar situation.  My surgery was quick and it went well. I have a couple of small scars.  I was out of there quickly too, as I really wanted to get home to my nursing baby.  I was able to lie on my side in bed to nurse him without too much discomfort and I put a pillow over my belly just in case he had a random kick :)   I took the advice of this board and really took it easy, not trying to do too much too soon.  From the outside it doesn't look like much but it is so hard on your body.  The most pain I had was from the gas and I made myself get up a walk around the room frequently to work it out.  My family and friends were very supportive so I would encourage anyone going through this, especially with young children, to reach out for help. I was so nervous about the surgery but each person is different, before the surgery I was fit, active and healthy, so my recovery went well.  Thank you all for sharing your story here.
Great comments ladies. I just had my first surgery, laproscopic surgery last week after I had an ovarian cyst rupture on me.. ouch!

I wasnt suprised that I had a cyst lurking, I could feel the dull pain in my right lower abs but I was somewhat ignoring it. I actually thought I was just having a bad issue with constipation which is nothing new for me. Well, the cyst burst and it is painful. Sharp pain in the entire abdomen and I just began to violently throw up. I was so weak, my husband made me go to the ER. When I got the ER my BP was 79/50- they gave me some pain meds (Thank you!!) and did a vaginal ultrasound and found that I had a cyst rupture and that I had 2 additional cysts around 5cm each on my right side. One was a functional cyst, the second was "complex" they werent sure what it was full with. So, considering I didnt want to have another one rupture and the fact that the complex one wasnt going to go away on its own, I decided to schedule surgery. I had an issue w/ cysts last summer as well so it was becoming an on-going issue which was causing pain during sex (and my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant) and a constant pain in my stomach.

My surgeon was great, explained everything very well. Waited a week before going in- long week. Its all I could think about. The other thing I thought about was having a male surgeon. I had never gone to a male doctor and I was really freaked out about it. My husband kept telling me I was being silly that he is a professional. I just felt like I was going to be so exposed and have no idea what was going on. I had a really tough time with that, still bothers me after the fact. So- not sure if anyone else had/has that concern but if so- I get it!

Surgery went well- about 2 hours. Both cysts were removed and he was able to save my ovary which I was incredibly happy about. He also found that I have severe endometrosis which can only be confirmed with surgery. I have stage 4- which basically means it is everywhere. Good explanation as to why my husband and I have been having such a difficult time conceiving. We have seen a fertility doctor but they werent 100% sure if I had endo. He removed as much of the endo as he could and said now is a great time to try as my odds will increase since some has been removed. I am 38 and my husband is 43- we have no children.

Post surgery has been very slow moving. I had surgery on Friday, today is Tuesday and still moving slowly. I do agree that you need to get up and walk around. Otherwise you get so stiff. The mornings are the toughest to move because I have been still for so long. I might go back to work tomorrow (work from home) just to cure my boredom. Also- using a heating pad helps and hold it to your stomach if you need to sneeze or cough which is very painful. I cringe when I need to cough.

Good luck to everyone!  I read alot about this surgery beforehand and all I can say is that everyone is different with recovery. Each surgery is unique and different things are being done inside our bodies. I spoke with a few friends that said 2 days tops, well I am at day 5 and I am still in a good amount of pain. I have a pretty good pain tolerance- my friends are wimps, seriously. I have been feeling a little bad about it and feeling like I am being a baby because they were up and at it so much quicker but as my husband keeps saying- They had a small amount of endo and didnt have 2 cysts removed, that will add to the recovery.
Very good information, They tried to save my ovary with my first surgery but couldnt. So you have reassured me that if I need to get surgery again to remove this cyst i have now in my only ovary, that we actually have a chance of saving it :)
I am in day 6 post surgery in which I had an ovary, ovarian cyst, and both tubes removed. Do not underestimate the pain involved for several days after surgery from the gas injected into your body cavity. The pain in your chest, shoulders, and rib cage far outweigh the pain exoerienced from the 3 small incisions. Coughing and sneezing is torture. I had 2 c-sections previously and this recovery seems as painful as what I remember. My entire upper body aches and today is the first day I could actually get up and around with some level of ease. I sleep a lot and have little appetite. And no one warned me that my stomach would be so bloated that it looks and feels like I had another baby. I sure hope this goes away. The best advice I can give is listen to your own body. You will know when you have done too much or can do a little more. Take this as an opportunity to have downtime with an excuse. We as woman always put others first so take every second you can for yourself while you recover and feel no guilt. Allow others to look after you and everything else for awhile. Don't plan to be alone for the first few days as you will need the help. And remember, this too shall pass.....
Sorry you're not doing too well since your surgery.  I had a complete laparoscopic Hysterectomy about 9 years ago when I was 45.   Long story short, the 3rd doc I went to finally found the cause of my 2 year pelvic/abdominal pain & severe periods to the point of hemorrhaging several times over the yrs.  He said I was literally cluttered inside with LOTS of cysts & fibroids about 6.cm each or more.  

Surgery for me went smoothly & was such an easy recovery.  Apparently, one of my Fallopian Tubes was already disconnected, disintegrating & was falling out into my birth canal.  Doc said when he saw inside I was literally a "mangled mess".  I was walking down the very long hospital hallways back & forth only 2 hours after I was put in my room after surgery.  Loved that leg wrap thing they gave me while in hospital overnight that squeezed my legs (to keep from clotting from lying down). It was a circulation device & it was great!  Wish I had one at home.  

Went home the next day & slept well & rested about a week but I was able to do light housework.  About 3 weeks later I noticed my sex drive was still there.  Of course I waited the full 6 weeks AND first got my doc's ok to have intercourse.  Life is great now, no pain, no periods and I tell everyone "my doctor took out the cradle and left the playpen".  LOL.  

That surgery forced my body into downright full-blown menopause.  I've had night sweats for over 16 yrs even before the surgery but I'm literally hot & flush ALL THE TIME.  ALways have my air conditioning on and ceiling fan, plus only sleep with a very lightweight blanket & sheet & that's in the winter time.  Hormone patch never worked for me.  Oh well.   I'm going on 55 now &hope to God I stop being so damn hot no later than 60!!!  Never regret having my total Hysterectomy.  For me personally, it was no big thing at all pain-wise & never once affected my sex life with my husband, thank God!!!  My grown kids are 34 & 31 & I have 2 grand children.  It's not like I was ever going to have more children or anything.  
I am very grateful for this forum. Despite a medical background, nothing fully prepares you for having your body cut open.

One week ago I underwent IVF extraction, in the hope of having a baby. I have premature ovarian failure at 34 years old. Within 4 days of the extraction I was admitted to the hospital for horrific abdominal pain, learning I had ovarian torsion, rupture of a hemorrhagic cyst, and an abdominal bleed. Laparoscopic surgery removed a hematoma, stopped the bleed, and repaired the torsion. I am now 2 days post op. The 2 embryos created last week did not survive. I am bloated, in pain, and trying to emotionally sort out what has happened in one short week. No baby, a battered up body, and so many unanswered questions. Here is the summary of what I have found on this thread to be helpful for me:

Top 10 Things I Have Learned About Laparoscopy Recovery

1) A heating pad placed on the abdomen on a low setting helps pain immensely

2) Honey lozenges and herbal tea help the scratchy throat from intubation

3) Getting up a couple times a day to stand on the porch, get sunlight, and breathe in fresh air has really made a difference

4) Bending over is hard. Picking stuff up is hard. Pretty much everything is hard. My husband is taking the week off to assist me with showering, using the bathroom, and little things I have always taken for granted. It has SAVED me.

5) Sleeping in a reclined position is a requirement despite being a natural stomach sleeper. We constructed a "couch bed" by placing a king size white down comforter folded in half as the bottom fluffy layer, and then added sheets and blankets. Pillows keep me propped up and from trying to roll on my side when sleeping.

6) Using a fat ace bandage, I have bound my abdomen (not tightly!) to diminish pain from gas and bloating around the umbilicus. It makes passing gas a lot easier as well.

7) Taking pain medications is necessary but ultimately cause constipation. I am taking simethicone for gas, colace to loosen stools, and will try mineral oil tomorrow before moving up to magnesium citrate by the end of the week.

8) Staying hydrated is not at the forefront of my mind, and my cracked lips are now a reminder to push fluids. I have a plastic cup with a screw-on lid and straw (like the ones they have at Starbucks) on my couch bed and am now constantly filling it with water, Gatorade, and iced herbal tea.

9) Lowering expectations is a necessary process. Upon return to work next week, I am restructuring my days to be no longer than 7 hours. I have notified inquiring coworkers of areas they can help me upon my return. I'm ordering a shift dress on Amazon that will hide my distended abdomen, as many posts note it will take longer than a week or two for this to go away. I am shortening family planned visits to come see me, bring food, etc to just a couple hours at a time so I can rest this week.

10) Having small things to look forward to is important. This week has been full of losses that I have not yet fully processed. I ordered a few little things online to arrive throughout the week: a set of candles, some placemats, a DVD I've always wanted to see but never took the time. My best friend is coming on the weekend to do a daytime slumber party with me, including Disney movies, chick flicks, magazines.

I want to extend my humble gratitude to the strong women who have contributed to this thread. I do not feel alone.

Mysie
I had my surgery 8 days ago. I had a 7cm cyst on my right ovary with lots of fluid in my abdomen. I was in a lot of pain on and off for a week, ended up twice in the ER before they figured out what it was. I was admitted immediately and operated on the following morning. The surgeon told me the ovary tissue was "macerated" and bleeding heavily at the slightest poke. The cyst was removed and a kind of net put around the remaining ovary tissue to reshape and support it while it (hopefully) heals.

I am feeling a little better every day but am surprised at the recovery time.

I am also shocked to learn that many posters have gone through this as a same-day procedure! I was in no condition to even get out of bed to pee until the evening of the second day.

After reading many of these reports, I realize that I am recovering pretty well. I honestly expected it to be faster. I was in the hospital for 4 days post-surgery and one day pre-surgery. I'm in Germany so I'll tell how it went here:

- It began with on-and-off partially constant dull but at times excruciating pain on my right side in my appendix area and radiating at times to my back just under my kidney. On the first day it hurt only when I was standing up, and at its worst there was strong pain in almost every position except sitting down and leaning back. One night I was totally bloated and swollen and looked how I did between 6 and 7 months pregnant. It went down a lot again overnight.

- Cyst was diagnosed in the ER via ultrasound, lots of unidentifiable matter around it. Because I had been on antibiotics for a week by then for a UTI (which was first assumed to be the cause of the pain) blood tests gave little clue to whether it was an infection. They suspected the ovary may have twisted. They warned me against doing a CT scan because of radiation/fertility risks as I am still in my child-bearing years. I was surprised to be warned by both the U/S tech, the ER doctor and the surgeon. I didn't know it was considered so risky.

- I was admitted immediately and hooked up to IV painkillers - at first paracetamol which didn't help, then something called Metamizole (analgesic) which helped a lot. I had to drink a liter of some sort of industrial-strength liquid laxative which subsequently cleared out my bowels in the space of a few hours. They seemed insistent that this was an important prerequisite for laproscopic surgery. I slept better than I had in a week. I guess the crying wore me out and the IV meds helped.

- Next morning, changed into my OP gear and was wheeled off at 9:30 AM. Woke up at 12:30 feeling fine in the wake-up room. Stayed there until 1:30PM. Then back to my hospital room.

- Incisions: a 2cm one near my left hip, a smaller one on the right, and one through my belly button. There are clear sutures tied at one end of each of the incisions. I had a bladder catheter for the entire first 24 hours. I had a drainage tube/bag coming out from my pubic area which remained until the 3rd day. This really bugged me and the incision from that is the most painful.

- I woke up absolutely starving as I hadn't eaten in about 48 house by then. I felt fine, no nausea, no negative anesthesia side effects.I begged the nurses to give me some real food, not just tea. After 2 hours I got some creamy soup and I scarfed it down. Shortly thereafter, I felt like someone was stabbing me over and over in my abdomen. I guess my stomach got moving and irritated everything. Ate some pudding later that night, very slowly. Pain was better but moved to my intestines... ouch! After that night it was all OK.

- I was kept on IV painkillers for the first 2 days, then switched to pills. Started with metamizole, switched to ibuprofen (600mg, then 400mg) days 4 and 5. Since then the pain has been very mild so I haven't taken meds.

-The first two nights I slept with pillows propped against my sides for support (like during late pregnancy). Asked for sleeping pills after that- a great help.

-At the end of the first day the nurses had me stand up and walk once around my bed to the other side. It hurt. And I was not prepared for the CO2 shock. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart and lungs. I was given a big thermos full of anise-cumin-fennel tea for the next 2 days (gas-killers). It seemed to help because it was much better the second night.

-On the second night I could stand up to go a short distance to the toilet. Day 3 I could stand up for a few minutes at a time, which then required a 2 hour nap.

- I was very tired the first few days, requiring multiple naps. Now I am 8 days post OP and am still tired, get back pain when standing, but notice I am getting stronger each day. I fell asleep this week with my kids at 8PM a few times and it was badly needed.

- I weigh about 2 lbs less than I did before surgery. My weight is very stable, I have weighed 136lbs give or take a 1/2 lb for 15 years (excluding pregnancies). At the same time, my stomach looks more bloated than usual and feels flabbier. I hope this goes away.

- I haven't had a regular BM since the procedure, just a little bit on 3 occasions. After reading this forum, I started taking Miralax today, hoping to head off constipation.

- I am supposed to cut the tied-off ends of the stitches after 10 days (or have a doc do it). The remaining material is inside and is supposed to dissolve on its own. It feels very bumpy and I'm concerned this is going to stay that way. I wonder how long it takes for the stuff to dissolve. My incisions were sewn up very neatly, and if all goes well I don't think I'll have prominent scars.

Sorry it is so long, maybe it'll help someone.

After all this I have to say I'm glad I was able to stay in the hospital and recuperate for so long. I would have been a mess if I had to go home and deal with day-to-day stuff right away, if only passively. It makes me appreciate the healthcare system here- I will not see a bill or have to deal with insurance at all. I can't imagine having to fight with my insurance co. on the phone to get this covered after an ordeal like this.

Now I'm just waiting for the official pathology report... hoping it's all OK. Tumor marker CA125 was slightly elevated at a value of 53 U/ml- whatever that means. That's one thing the surgeon didn't talk to me about, I just saw it in my discharge letter. I won't be able to fully relax until all the results are in.
One thing I forgot to mention in the post above-

This procedure seemed to have kickstarted my period. I was not due to start of another 10 days but started bleeding about 24 hours post-surgery, and it went on for 7 days. I'll see if I start bleeding again in 2 or 3 days, which is when I was originally due to start.
Last month I had to get surgery to remove a cyst. July 11. I still don't know what kind. But it was the size of a large orange. I lost my right ovary. I'm only twenty. But the surgery was three tiny incisions. When you wake up it is cold. For me I was so cold I went into shock. I was released an hour and a half after my surgery. I slept the day away and started walking around the next day. I did more and more every day for the week I took off of work. I was still a little slow when I got back to work but my incisions are finally practically healed. The only thing that is bothering me is that I'm very nauseated still and my right side is still VERY tender that my cats can't even crawl up on me. Does anyone know what the problem is?  
Hi, I've been reading a lot of the posts here as I found out yesterday that the 6.1 cm cyst I have needs to be taken out. Went to the ER last month after severe abdominal pain that my GP told me was just a stomach bug. ER doc told me it was either a hemorrhagic cyst or endometriosis on (or near, doc said it looked like it was a little ways off the ovary) the right ovary and to go to a gyno asap. I went and she told me to take BCP for a month and hopefully that will take care of it. When I went back yesterday, she did a trasvag ultrasound and said it hadn't shrunk at all so it was probably a dermoid (since I am only 23 and other factors, I guess) and that I needed to have it out. She also said there was another 3.5 cm cyst on the other ovary but I saw it on the screen and from my bit of medical knowledge I could tell that it was a simple cyst just filled with fluid, so hopefully she will leave that one alone so I don't risk losing that ovary too. Gyno said she would only take the right ovary if necessary but seeing how many people on here have ended up having an ovary taken kinda freaks me out. I've also never had surgery so I'm kind of scared about that too.

Here is my question. I've been able to gather from other posts that I should:

plan to take off at least a week of work (no prob, my boss is great)

get throat drops for intubation soreness

stock up on meds to help relieve gas and constipation

eat foods with fiber and that are easy on your stomach

drink lots of fluids

walk around regularly

set up a comfy little nest of sorts

rest a ton

Now, from people who've had a laparoscopic cystectomy (praying it doesn't turn into an oophorectomy) is there anything else I should be doing to make this as easy and painless as possible? Do you have any other tips or tricks or words of wisdom for me?

Thanks, Shannon
Shannon - Based on my over-treatment experience (hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries for a benign ovarian cyst) and my connections with so many other women with similar stories, I am going to give you my thoughts.

I am surprised she only gave BCP's one month to shrink the cyst. The standard seems to be more like three months or so. And if it does not grow, then continuing to monitor it may be an option. It sounds too like the type of cyst is not concerning as far as malignancy (hemorrhagic, endometriomas, and dermoid cysts are all benign) so that should not be a reason to rush into surgery. Ovarian torsion is a concern when the cyst gets too large but I thought generally less than 7 cm is acceptable for monitoring. Of course, there are some cysts that will not resolve on their own. But since she was willing to prescribe BCP's and do another ultrasound, she must have thought it could resolve.

And if the cyst on the other ovary is simple then there should be no reason to cut on that ovary at all. I personally would be concerned that she will remove one ovary and maybe even both. Even losing one ovary can cause permanent problems such as reduced fertility and even an early menopause which has very serious long-term health implications, even in women who are already post-menopausal at the time of surgery since the ovaries produce hormones into a woman's 80's.

I had concerns about some things my gynecologist said but I dismissed them because I had trusted him for 20 years and could not fathom that he would needlessly remove any organs. But he did. I was 49 years old at the time but it has impacted every aspect of my life and even my appearance. I wish I had sought out second, third, fourth opinion doctors on my own versus going to the oncologist to whom he referred me for consultation. I also wish I had known how common it is for healthy female organs to be needlessly removed. And most importantly, I wish I had altered the surgical consent form (regardless of who did my surgery) to state that no organs could be removed if the frozen section showed that the cyst was benign and had my surgeon sign off on the revisions and kept a copy for my records.  

Factors that contributed to my over-treatment were that I was raised to pretty much obey authorities and I listened to others' concerns about delaying surgery instead of listening to my intuition.  
Thanks for replying to me. I think that the reason she is going ahead with the surgery is for a couple reasons. I ended up in the ER last month because of low BP and probably the most severe pain I'd ever felt before. That's how I got referred to this gyno. She got the ultrasound reports from the ER visit and they were somewhat ambiguous as to what kind of cyst it was but it wasn't a simple cyst, that much they could tell. The ER doctor said that it was either endometriosis  or a hemorrhagic cyst initially and when I saw the second ultrasound the gyno did, she showed it to me and it looked pretty solid, not an empty black space like a simple fluid filled cyst would. She gave me the pill for a month to see if it shrank at all and it was exactly the same size as it was before the pill which she said pointed towards a dermoid as opposed to an endometrioma, which should have shrunk at least somewhat from the pill. I'm guessing she is worried about torsion since I was in so much pain last month and since it seems most likely a dermoid, it isn't going to go away on it's own. I trust her, even thought I haven't known her long. She's been in practice for more than 30 years, has very impressive credentials as far as schooling, and has won awards for her skills so I'm not worried about any of that. And I really don't think she plans on doing anything about the simple cyst. She never mentioned it more than to say that I had one on the other side. She didn't said anything about removing it or even anything about waiting to see what it did so I am pretty sure that she isn't planning on doing anything.
I understand the pain. I also had debilitating pain but it only lasted one day. I hope your surgery and recovery go well!
Viewing 401-402 comments: