Ovarian Cysts Community
conceiving after cyst removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

conceiving after cyst removal

i know i give you guys a headache with sometimes repeating myself. my surgery is on the 6th of march to remove my 3.5 complex cyst. doctor said they might take out the whole right ovary. i have two questions
1. if they remove part of that ovary, can that same ovary still produce healthy eggs? or having an unhealthy pregnancy may occur?
2. after a surgery like this, i know your period might not be regular, and you still have a good chance of getting pregnant because of your other ovary, but less chance. how and when can i start trying to conceive AND HOW CAN I KNOW WHEN I AM OVULATING IF MY PERIODS WONT BE REGULAR.
i am 26 and i just wanna get pregnnat without all this headache like we all do . what and when is the easiest to try after a cyst removal which is a laprascopy.
3. does this surgery give you more of a chance to miscarry your first pregnancy?
I feel this will all work out for you. I believe even if the one ovary is removed the other one is fine to go; also if part of the ovary is removed i believe it still produces hormones, not sure about eggs (anyone else?). My experience was that I had 2 complex cysts removed, one from each ovary, both benign. I didn't even think about getting pregnant (well, I did since he took me off the BC's b/c of my age - 39). After about 3-4 weeks of bleeding from surgery I followed with a normal period about 3 weeks after that. Gues what, got pregnant the following month. So the Lord made our choice for us and our third daughter is beautiful! I feel this will work out for you - you're so young!! Keep positive thoughts! I'm sure someone else here will respond to you for more of your answers but also ask the doctor alot of these questions - they hopefully will have the answers as well! Best of luck to you on the 6th.....
I had my let ovary and tube removed in 1998 and had my son in 2000 and my daughter in 2001.  Talk to your doctor.  Asmuch of the ovaries they can save the better, but you sure can get pregnant with one.  Use one of the over the counter ovulation kits when you are ready to conceive.  Best of luck with your surgery and if you have more concerns ask.  I did and it helped so much after my surgery.  Laura  :)
Honestly you don't give us headaches, it's OK, we know how stressful this stuff is.

YES even a chunk of ovary can produce eggs, quite nicely thank you.  NO you will NOT have an unhealthy pregnancy, it has nothing to do with it.  

Your periods might be a bit wacky at first, but I guarantee they will settle down fast.  
Especially if you look after yourself well and try to remain calm.

To be honest, I don't believe fertility is as decreased as you might think it is!  You'll be surprised!  You can start trying to conceive when your doctor tells you to.  You need to heal properly and you won't feel like trying for a while.  

DON'T freak yourself out ... it's the worst thing you can do.  Relax.  Trust in a higher power!

NO this surgery does NOT give you a higher chance of miscarriage!  The two are not related.

I had one ovary removed in my teens.  The other ovary was also cystic and I had a piece of IT removed with the cyst a few years later.  I got pregnant six months after that surgery (on the remaining ovary).  No problems.  I didn't wait and I got pregnant again six months later!  I had a third child five years later.  Try not to let your mind go crazy.  Do some yoga or light exercise.  Do NOT smoke.  Take vitamins.  Eat really well.  Limit alcohol.  Maintain a proper weight.  Take control of the things you can control!  You'll be OK, you wait and see!  
Love and best wishes, from Katie
If that isn't clear, I meant to say, I had my first child, and then conceived again when he was six months old!  Oh yes they are close in age!
One ovary can work just as well as two... just like kidneys, etc.
Good luck!
I have to agree with all who responded, especially Lactac, talking through your concerns is a wonderful way to reassure you and judging by your post above your already half way there.

Left ovary plus fallopian tube removed.  Had three children conceived naturally since.

wow thank you guys soo much. i feel much better and pretty much all my questions have been answered. THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE!! AND ALL YOU GREAT HEARTED PEOPLE WHO ARE HERE TO HELP EACHOTHER. MUUUUUUUUAH TO ALL.
Relax, your body will adjust. I had been trying to get pregnant for about 2 years before my first Laprascopy surgery. (The surgery was for endometrosis.) I had all the tests done before surgery. But it turned out I was pregnant for that surgery. The doctor thinks the egg hadn't attached yet, that it was traveling during the precedure. My husband was worryied the surgery had harmed the baby. Everything turned out ok. I have a beautiful baby girl. I don't suggest doing it this route. I'm just saying your body will adjust to the one ovary. And you can have healthy children.

Paula
My daughter has been through two invitros. She had to have both tubes removed and cysts removed from her ovaries. Her ovaries also were fused to her pelvic bone and they were surgically released to a normal floating position. The first innvitro didn't work and the second resulted in pregnancy but a miscarriage at 6 weeks. The doctor told her they thought this would happen because her eggs were not healthy looking. What? Anyone know about this and does anyone know how to make healthy eggs? Thanks for your time. CHRIS
I know am nearly a year late on your question but I have just recently found this wonderful site.

To answer your questions, about partial ovary this is what happened to me.  Age 19 had left ovary and tube along with football size dermoid cyst removed.  Age 27 had 70% of right ovary removed along with softball size dermoid cyst.  Three months later I got pregnant with my oldest son who was born in 1988 and had second son in 1990. And I am sure medical advances are greater now than they were 19 years ago.

Best of luck to you

Dawn

I hope this information can help you.  
I just had surgery on wednesday to remove cysts from my ovary and cervix.. I am so excited to know that I am finally going to get pregnant after 8 yrs. I have and 8 year old and she is truely a blessing from god and the next one will be as well! Well after my post-op app the doc will put me on clomid to help me ovulate and she says if we do not get preg with in a couple months then she will do IUI bc she does not want the cyst growing back! But We are so excited and I don't have my hopes up I am just putting it all in the Lords hands...Bc if it is his will it will happen!!!!
Easter 2005 i had surgery on my right ovary to remove a BASEBALL sized tumor. I'm going to be 30 this summer and I too still worry if I will ever be able to get pregnant. i haven't found the right guy yet, but with my ex we tried unsuccessfully. hearing your stories has given me some hope.
I wonder for the women who had lapro. if you too have some stomach saggage? my pooch didn't sag before surgery and now I'm so embarrassed about it...and one of my sutures took forever to heal.
does that medicine to help you ovulate really work(clomid)?
and what vitamin combo can i take to improve my reproductive organs?

also i've always had a nagging feeling since i was a teen that I might be barrin, any suggestions on how to reprogram my mind, cause i do believe that your mind controls your body...

please help, im due to have surgery o 8th jan to remove a large cyst from my right ovary.  my  question, can i still get pregnant with 1 ovary and at age 42? i have 3 kids  from first marriage.  been trying for 2 years with 2nd hubby and no success  before i found out i had a cyst.  i desperatetly want another baby. my doctor said my chances are limited.  i cannot afford ivf. so what are my cances of conceiving natuarlly? andhow soon after surgery(im terrified) can we try? im on meds for high blood pressure.
After your surgery your remaining ovary will kick in and take over for the missing one within a few months.  Many women have gone on to have successful pregnancies with one ovary.  Your age should be your only limiting factor in fertility.  As far as when you can start trying, that is something you should talk to your doctor about.  Your body does need to heal but I don't know how long is required.  Good luck!

Oh, and should you have any further questions please start your own thread instead of adding on to a very old one.  You are likely to get a better response that way.
I had a cyst removed yesterday it was not bad at all im a little sore today but i was up walking around yesterday when i got home! im not sore where my cuts are at im sore in my belly! the doc told me the cyst was 11 cm but to find out it was as big as a cantaloupe. The surgery took a little over 2 hrs but in all im doing great!
Hi all, just found this site, i had a 5.5cm Dermoid Cyst removed on 5th Aug and they had to removed my left ovary..just wondering how long after can i try to conceive?
thanks
Was this a laparoscopic surgery or was it open surgery/laparotomy?  If laparoscopic, probably about 3 months.  If the other type, probably about 6 months.  Why not call and ask the doctor's office?  You are entitled to ask them questions like that after a surgical procedure.

I hope you are feeling a lot better now that the cyst is gone!
i had a dermoid cyst removed along with one ovary back in 2001. my doctor said i may havetrouble getting pregnant again. i had a baby in 1999.  well in   2004 i had twins, healthy twins!   Now i am 3 months pregnant with twins again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   So to that doctor, i guess i proved you wrong.  You can get pregnant with one ovary. i am living proof!!!!!!!!!!   i think with one ovary it does twice the work to make up for the missing one. not sure.  Good luck to everyone.
i just had a football size dermoid cyst removed like 2 weeks ago.  i just found this site and i was hoping to find sum answers. (arent we all lol)   well i was just wondering how long do yall think i should wait to get preg and what would happen if i get preg to soon? would it affect me or the baby? ive been trying for 3yrs and had no dea i had a cyst untill i went to er for pains tha go worse because it flipped and a diff er kept turnign me away since like 18 which was said because i could have either died or it couldve because cancerous and almost did and their worried it will come back and im scared ill nver have kids. so hw long should i wait? has anyne else had one removd and then got preg not o long after and everything turn out ok? and when do you think ill be healed enough to start feeling ormal and be able to work out a lil? im excited about getting small cuz ive been a lil over weight and looked preg for so long and now that its gone i already look better but wanna lose more weight and get to maybe 125-130  i was 171-175 before surgery and im already down to 155.  any info u can gie me about anyhting i should expect or anything that could help that u have experianced would be great. thanx.
Helped me alot :) so much hope ... It's been 25 days since my surgery had a piece of my right ovary removed ... I hope I can get pregnant as well .... That would be so lovely... I'm 23 n healthy I do worry too much n stress out blah no more of that Thanx. :)
Im struggle to have a baby and ive been trying for years now and I had several small cyst can that be the problem
I wonder if you had problem with not having period after 2nd surgery and your fsh level increased tremendously? I had 1st lap done and dic said he hung my left ovary up and it looks good and 2nd surgery he remived 7 cm cyst long with some ovarian tissue.  He still left some ovary on abdominal wall..